Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He would be far too expensive as a backup to Rodgers I reckon, not that he'll be on huge money but he'll probably get a decent little amount. Also, I'm pretty sure GB would be one of the last 3-4 teams in the league he'd want to go to because it's likely playing time he is really after.

I would quite happily be wrong on that though were he to sign with the Packers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He's been fighting to be a starter for years why would he go be backup in a bad situation. Even if he plays the team around him is only ok

It'll be interesting to see if any team actually sees him as a starter. I think if a QB needy team picks him up they'll also draft a QB in the first or second round. His best bet is probably to not sign up with anyone for a while and see how things play out in FA and maybe even until after the draft. He could lose all his leverage but it might be his best bet to end up in a situation where he's most likely to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As phatkev said, he has a Mike Glennon situation here. If he sits tight and stays patient someone will give him a spot. Dunno if he'll get the stupid money Glennon did, but he's probably a better quarterback than Glennon so I don't see why not (can you stand like a flagpole after the snap staring down your #1 receiver until you're sacked? Then you're hired!). Some team or other will be drafting a guy who isn't ready to start day 1 and will want a more experienced head in the meantime, giving McCarron a chance to either nail down his spot, establish himself as a viable starter for a team interested in a trade, or at the very least get a decent pay day before slinking back to the bench.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cushing released or will be released by the Texans.

Titans already being linked with him given Vrabel, 1 incident away from a permaban for PEDs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Came across as a dick on Hard Knocks

I would expect a linebacker to beat a 220lbs back. Even then Blue blocked him twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Cushing strikes me a bit of Bill Romanowski fanboy.
    He's not legit as crazy and aggressive as Bill was, but he likes to act like he's the same....

He'll be a good signing on the cheap from someone and he's a very good player still but not at all as impressive as a few years back. Can't see a team like the Pats picking him up either because his personality/attitude appear fairly atrocious on the whole. I think he could have been one of the top 5-8 ILB/MLBs of the last 15-20 years had he approached the sport better (and not turned out to be rammed full of steroids), instead he's just a somewhat memorable player in his position for his generation. Someone who starts following the sport in five years will probably never know who he is/was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

he is the stereotypical "jock" bully boy you see on American high school movies/shows. He comes across at all times as a complete and utter dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not really good negotiating tactics I don't think.

https://twitter.com/yahoosports/status/965635862879985665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Not really good negotiating tactics I don't think.

Probably because they know they haven't a hope of getting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

What makes you think that? They will have an outrageous amount of cap space, surely that gives them as good a chance of getting him as any one else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So its the opening of the franchise and transition tag window today...

Anyone hazarding a guess as to who their team will tag, if anyone at all??

For Dallas i think we're not going to tag DeMarcus Lawrence today but will make a move prior to the 6th March. All parties are believed to want to work towards a long term deal which needs to be concluded prior to 16th July if the tag is used. Current projection is Lawrence would get $17 under the tag but we'd hope to work ona better and more cap friendly deal to allow us also resign Zach Martin (our main goal) and possibly secure David Irving and Anthony Hitchens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

I hope Robinson doesn't get tagged but its likely he will according to the chatter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Why do you think this JRG? I thought they exceeded expectations last year with a really young team, cap space to burn (don't think they have any major players to resign urgently) and it's New York!

brinty wrote: »
    So its the opening of the franchise and transition tag window today...

Anyone hazarding a guess as to who their team will tag, if anyone at all??

For Dallas i think we're not going to tag DeMarcus Lawrence today but will make a move prior to the 6th March. All parties are believed to want to work towards a long term deal which needs to be concluded prior to 16th July if the tag is used. Current projection is Lawrence would get $17 under the tag but we'd hope to work ona better and more cap friendly deal to allow us also resign Zach Martin (our main goal) and possibly secure David Irving and Anthony Hitchens.
    Would expect the Bears to tag Kyle Fuller, he had a good year and seems to want to get paid somewhere. But yes only had one good year so I'm guessing management want to see him put two years back to back. Cant really afford to be making more holes in the roster so I'm guessing he gets tagged, against his will. Has a bit of an Alshon Jeffery look about him.

Why do you think this JRG? I thought they exceeded expectations last year with a really young team, cap space to burn (don't think they have any major players to resign urgently) and it's New York!

When has "its New York" ever made a difference outside of maby an ageing Brandon Marshall? I think it's overplayed he's just leaving one ****show the jets until the year just gone have been the same. I would imagine it will take more than one year to gain the confidence of a player particularly when the likes of elway are pitching to him

When has "its New York" ever made a difference outside of maby an ageing Brandon Marshall? I think it's overplayed he's just leaving one ****show the jets until the year just gone have been the same. I would imagine it will take more than one year to gain the confidence of a player particularly when the likes of elway are pitching to him

Well while Cousins has made good money on the two tags, I imagine at 30 years of age he'll want a big contract (this is possibly the only big one he gets in his career, assuming it's 5+ years) and while the Jets have the pace to facilitate that, NY as a market also opens up tonnes of earning potential outside of just the team.

If he picks for purely footballing reasons though, he might be best to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Think any team will gamble on rg3 or is he finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well as much as I hate to admit it I think Todd Bowles is an excellent head coach and if he gets Cousins he will go close to winning the AFC East imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well as much as I hate to admit it I think Todd Bowles is an excellent head coach and if he gets Cousins he will go close to winning the AFC East imo.

I wish I had the same optimism towards him!

Hococop wrote: »
    Think any team will gamble on rg3 or is he finished?

In a midseason QB crisis maybe, otherwise I reckon he's finished. It might be the most stunning fall from grace off a rookie season I've ever seen.

Well I did leave it until last in my list of considerations, but it definitely has an imapct. Players like to go to major market teams, New York will be more attractive to free agents (and their families) than Cleveland or Detroit for example. It's probably not *the* determining factor, but with everything else being equal it can tip the balance.

As someone mentioned before, opportunities for marketing and revenue streams from outside of football...being a star QB in New York, Dallas or San Francisco still has an allure to it that being a Star QB for Buffalo or San Diego (sorry LA!!) can not match.

Personally, while I generally like Cousins (in the few games I've seen him play aong with highlights/statistics) a few things give me pause about him coming to Denver.

1. Washington gave up on him. Why? Franchise QBs are generally not allowed to walk out the door and they have the most information about him.
    2. Is he another Kyle Orton-type QB. Great between the 20s but no end product. His arm looks great and he can make all the throws it seems but can he close out drives? His W/L record is also pedestrian.
    3. Denver cannot (imo) pay 2 players on the roster a combined $50 million with Von and Cousins. The rest of the roster would suffer (already suffering depth issues after 3 years of mediocre drafting)

On the flipside, he'd be an instant upgrade over anything we currently have, I like his moxy (interception tackle in the probowl!!) and if we could get him on a slightly more favourable deal maybe it could work.

Billy86 wrote: »
    In a midseason QB crisis maybe, otherwise I reckon he's finished. It might be the most stunning fall from grace off a rookie season I've ever seen.

Yes, one of the huge pitys of the last few years. Looked like we would be watching him for the next decade.

Maybe a team with a mobile QB would consider him for a backup, Buffalo or Seattle. Personally I'd love to see a few of these players try the CFL as route back into football.

I’d say that ship has passed. If he didn’t get a look in this past season, I can’t see him getting another chance.

As for him dropping off the scale, I think his injury and his stubbornness to be ‘all in for week 1’ the following season didn’t help. He was a one trick pony though and even if healthy, would probably have been found out soon enough anyway.

I’d say that ship has passed. If he didn’t get a look in this past season, I can’t see him getting another chance.

As for him dropping off the scale, I think his injury and his stubbornness to be ‘all in for week 1’ the following season didn’t help. He was a one trick pony though and even if healthy, would probably have been found out soon enough anyway.

That's one that has always interested me about him, it might be a bit less likely as he has never recovered his rookie form since, but Mike Shanahan deserved to be sacked mid game when he insisted on keeping him in and not adjusting the gameplan on a completely mangled leg, over and over and over again. That is maybe the most appallingly shortsighted and reckless move I've seen a coach do with their own players, and even ownership should have stepped in and pulled the plug on his playing time for the rest of that year.

• Advertisement

That's one that has always interested me about him, it might be a bit less likely as he has never recovered his rookie form since, but Mike Shanahan deserved to be sacked mid game when he insisted on keeping him in and not adjusting the gameplan on a completely mangled leg, over and over and over again. That is maybe the most appallingly shortsighted and reckless move I've seen a coach do with their own players, and even ownership should have stepped in and pulled the plug on his playing time for the rest of that year.

I think him rushing back for week 1 was as big as sin as leaving him in against the Seahawks.

That was him though with his brand and marketing campaign to play in week 1. Although surely the coaches/management should have stepped in and told him to sit the f$£k down. So they’re culpable too for not havibg the guts to go against the star player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Talk among a few of the usual reliable NFL guys on Twitter that the Chiefs would listen to trade offers for Marcus Peters.

Insanity.

Paully D wrote: »
    Talk among a few of the usual reliable NFL guys on Twitter that the Chiefs would listen to trade offers for Marcus Peters.

Insanity.

Just goes to show what charactor issues can bring. He's on an amzing contract (for the acquiring team) for the next 2 years, but would he play for a new team under that deal?

Cousins is going to get paid no matter where he goes - it will come down to who can persuade him that he has the best chance of winning.

The top two are Minnesota and Denver - and after that Buffalo and maybe Arizona. I'd be surprised if anyone else was in contention.

I also expect it to happen quite quickly as every team that doesn't get him will want to move to plan B as soon as possible.

Of course Washington could act silly buggers and tag him again in the hope of trading him - except Cousins won't sign the tag contract and if he doesn't Washington can't trade him. All that will do is p*ss everyone off - especially Cousins.

1. Washington gave up on him. Why? Franchise QBs are generally not allowed to walk out the door and they have the most information about him.
    2. Is he another Kyle Orton-type QB. Great between the 20s but no end product. His arm looks great and he can make all the throws it seems but can he close out drives? His W/L record is also pedestrian.
    3. Denver cannot (imo) pay 2 players on the roster a combined $50 million with Von and Cousins. The rest of the roster would suffer (already suffering depth issues after 3 years of mediocre drafting)
    Is Cousins in the Brady/Manning/Rodgers league - nope - not even close - but he is the only FA QB who is a capable starter at QB and would be a major upgrade for any team needing a QB. He is also a proven QB unlike all of the QBs in the draft (all of whom have red flags of some description or another).

One team will sign him - and move on - every other team will then scramble for the top four QBs in the draft (they have no choice because there is not another FA QB that can come in as a starter and make a difference).

As for Denver - I have previously posted how Denver can pay Cousins what will be needed to get him (probably something close to $30million a year) - and yes - Denver can pay $50million+ on two players and win, IF Elway starts actually drafting better than the dumpster fire like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you know the guy? I don't think so.

He will most likely go where the best contract with the most guaranteed money is. It'll be his first big contract and I'm sure that getting financially set up for life comes before which team gives him the best chance of winning.

I think the Jets will pay him as big if not bigger than anybody else and if he signs they suddenly become a very serious threat in the AFC imo.

I don't think he loses out in any way by going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I can see the Jets landing him especially if they make him the wealthiest QB in the league which they can afford to. As much as he wants to win the money might be too big of a lure.

Do you know the guy? I don't think so.

He will most likely go where the best contract with the most guaranteed money is. It'll be his first big contract and I'm sure that getting financially set up for life comes before which team gives him the best chance of winning.
    Do you know the guy?

Last year Alshon Jeffery went to Philadelphia for about two million less than he was offered to stay in Chicago. Chicago was not just offering more money but it was also a bigger market, nicer city etc. He would also have been The number one guy there, which he isn't in Philly. He even took a one year prove yourself deal where the Bears were offering better. The only variable was that one team was good and the other was not. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility for a player to choose a team based on the odds of winning with them. Even from a monetary viewpoint doing so makes perfect sense given he's going to be the face of the team wherever he goes. He'll be set up financially for life no matter where he goes. I don't see anything weird in thinking he might factor in the potential to win in his decision. It wouldn't be that unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Who said there is?

Cousins is going to get paid no matter where he goes - it will come down to who can persuade him that he has the best chance of winning.

I think it'll be more about money than winning if this quote is anything to go by.

"There’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract,” he continued. “And if you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well. So there’s different reasons. You just do the best you can.”

Not for his own benefit of course, but for the benefit of future QBs....!!!!

I think it'll be more about money than winning if this quote is anything to go by.

"There’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract,” he continued. “And if you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well. So there’s different reasons. You just do the best you can.”

Not for his own benefit of course, but for the benefit of future QBs....!!!!

....veiled shot at Tom Brady there from Cousins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

....veiled shot at Tom Brady there from Cousins!

I don't think The GOAT will give a crap to be honest. Not his fault that his team friendly ethos, shows up a lot of the overpaid wasters playing QB.

Having a wife that earns more than anyone in the league doesn't help either! :D

I don't think The GOAT will give a crap to be honest. Not his fault that his team friendly ethos, shows up a lot of the overpaid wasters playing QB.

Ya the others are not necisarillyy overpayed wasters Tom is massively underpayed that's the whole point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hey everyone, long time NFL fan and a bit of a lurker here but for whatever reason never got involved in the threads really on boards for it.

Have a group of friends who watch a lot of football and we tend to talk at least once a week on Skype about all things football. We have started making some bold or surprise predictions for next season and when I mentioned mine there was a lot of doubt from the rest so decided it would be suited here haha!

Making a prediction that Chad Kelly will eventually be the backup QB at Denver next season and will see some snaps in regular season. Think Siemian could be gone, and see Denver trying to bring in a veteran over drafting (could be wrong). Obviously injuries and off field behaviour too ruined his draft stock, and he missed most of last season out injured but I just think he has a good skillset and more of a fight in him than Lynch or Siemian.

Feel free to laugh at me now.

Ya the others are not necisarillyy overpayed wasters Tom is massively underpayed that's the whole point

He may be under payed but that is by choice and it really isn't his job to care about what other QBs make. For me Cousins taking a shot at QBs not out for a big pay check saying it hurts the newer guys is just stupid. It is not the job of any player in the league to help any other player wage wise. If any QB is happy to stay on a team and is willing to take a pay cut so be it. Same with any position really.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    He may be under payed but that is by choice and it really isn't his job to care about what other QBs make. For me Cousins taking a shot at QBs not out for a big pay check saying it hurts the newer guys is just stupid. It is not the job of any player in the league to help any other player wage wise. If any QB is happy to stay on a team and is willing to take a pay cut so be it. Same with any position really.

I don't disagree I just think calling other qbs overpaid wasters is stupid and more than a little juvenile

I don't disagree I just think calling other qbs overpaid wasters in stupid

I agree

I think the Jets will pay him as big if not bigger than anybody else and if he signs they suddenly become a very serious threat in the AFC imo.

I don't think he loses out in any way by going there.

Cousins has raked in almost $45million in the past two seasons - and will likely get something like $130million over 5 years with maybe $90million guaranteed and a big chunk of it upfront. That is something like $65million more than Brady has been paid in the last 7 seven years.

Cousins will get paid that no matter where he goes - his choice will likely come down to where he thinks he has the best chance of winning a SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Alshon Jeffrey had surgery on a torn rotary cuff, apparently he picked it up near the start at the season that is some feat to play the way he did over the season

Hococop wrote: »
    Alshon Jeffrey had surgery on a torn rotary cuff, apparently he picked it up near the start at the season that is some feat to play the way he did over the season

He's been injured a lot during his career, I wonder if he can prolong his career given the number of injuries he's had. I hope so, at his best he's a really exciting, anything-could-happen kind of player.

Cousins has raked in almost $45million in the past two seasons - and will likely get something like $130million over 5 years with maybe $90million guaranteed and a big chunk of it upfront. That is something like $65million more than Brady has been paid in the last 7 seven years.

Cousins will get paid that no matter where he goes - his choice will likely come down to where he thinks he has the best chance of winning a SB.

True he will get paid wherever he goes but what if the Jets offer a lot more than any of the other potential suitors. You say he wants to win but every man has his price and if the Jets rumours are true they are willing to throw stupid money at him and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    True he will get paid wherever he goes but what if the Jets offer a lot more than any of the other potential suitors. You say he wants to win but every man has his price and if the Jets rumours are true they are willing to throw stupid money at him and then some.
    The guaranteed money aspect would be a huge factor. If the Jets pay him top dollar, they'd be favorites to land him IMO.

• Advertisement

The guaranteed money aspect would be a huge factor. If the Jets pay him top dollar, they'd be favorites to land him IMO.

I agree I think if the Jets throw the house at him all guaranteed it could sway him from being a winner on the field to a winner in his bank account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement