Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

gstack166 wrote: »

Never nice to see news like that
    Kelly is a legend of the game and a gentleman from all accounts.
    Hope he can make it through again
    he was never a quitter on the field and i'm sure he won't quit now either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

letowski wrote: »
    Dolphins are bringing Jarvis Landry to the combine in an effort to trade him. From reports I think they are looking at trading him and their 11th overall pick for a very high draft pick in order to get a QB. Colts and Browns are being mentioned. Jarvis Landry reportedly wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league. As good as he is I wouldn't want to give him that much money, he is just a slot receiver more or less.

Baltimore are absolutely desperate for WR help and were strongly linked with him when the talk was that he may hit FA. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them make a move for him, though knowing us we'll end up with someone like Tavon Austin :rolleyes:

The Dolphins are having a laugh if they think they'll get anything like a first rounder for him. Teams know he's going and they have the Dolphins over a barrell because the alternative is to keep him at $16m this season on the franchise tag while he becomes a pain in their arse, or trade him for whatever they can get.

He'll end up leaving for about a 3rd rounder IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Reports that Kirk Cousins wants a short-term (max 4 years) deal that is mostly guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Reports that Kirk Cousins wants a short-term (max 4 years) deal that is mostly guaranteed.

Can't see broncos, Vikings or Cardinals offering that I'd say jets and browns could only do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

So much for the want to "Win"

Dude clearly wants to get paid

Hococop wrote: »
    Can't see broncos, Vikings or Cardinals offering that I'd say jets and browns could only do that

All five teams would be capable of paying him - and would find the money if they can get him.

I suspect something like 4 years with $90million and $70million guaranteed
    TOss Sweep wrote: »
    So much for the want to "Win"

Dude clearly wants to get paid

I think it has more to do with him not getting stuck in a place he doesn't want to be - like he was in Washington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I suppose he's gambling on himself in a way. Get paid now and then (presuming he plays well), get another decent sized contract in 4 years time. Probably works out better than one 6 year deal or whatever

He has the leverage I would do the same. I'd imagine Rodgers will look for a mostly guaranteed contract also. Bit unfair to critasize a guy for ensuring a team commits to the contract that they sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Don't think anyone's criticising him for looking out for his best interests.

Don't think anyone's criticising him for looking out for his best interests.

I would agree with this. Fair play to the lad if he gets a mega deal.

• Advertisement

I think it has more to do with him not getting stuck in a place he doesn't want to be - like he was in Washington.

I agree but really what he is telling team I want a 4 year contract fully loaded and as I said earlier in the thread he might want to win but every man has his price and if the Jets or someone with the space come knocking and offer him what he wants he will join them. The winning thing will go somewhat out the window. Not that every team wont tell him they want to win either.

If he goes to the Jets they have large cap space and 3 picks in the 1st two rounds. They have potential to getting key pieces and being competitive within 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Robert Quinn being traded to the Dolphins.
    Should we start an off-season moves thread?

If he goes to the Jets they have large cap space and 3 picks in the 1st two rounds. They have potential to getting key pieces and being competitive within 2 seasons.
    Minnesota would instantly upgrade to SB favourites if they got Cousins - and Denver currently have four picks in the top 100 - coupled with a likely trade down if they signed Cousins they could end up with six (suggestions that they will trade with the Bills and get 1.21 and 1.22 plus 3.96 - to go along with 2.40, 3.71 and 3.99). Personally I think a trade down with Miami or Arizona is more likely - or if they do trade with Buffalo - a trade back up into the first or at least the second round is very likely. The Broncos are a better team than the Jets.

It is worth nothing that John Elway is due to meet Cousins' agent today - he is also the agent for CJ Anderson - and apparently Mike Shanahan may come into play in terms of recruitment for the Broncos. When RG3 was drafted it was Snyder who made that pick - Shanahan insisted on taking Cousins in the 4th round and has been one of his most ardent supporters ever since. Shanahan and Gary Kubiak have a very close relationship (far closer than Elway and Shanahan) and Kubiak is now basically the Broncos Head of Personnel.

If the Broncos sign Cousins then don't be surprised if they take Roquan Smith ILB, Will Hernandez OG and Orlando Brown OT (although Brown was brutal at the combine so he could tumble). These three positions are the glaring weaknesses in the Broncos team after QB and there is plenty of depth at all three positions. Taking a OT and OG would instantly see a major upgrade in the OL.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Might be a good idea - Broncos supposed to be close to agreeing a trade with Washington for Su'a Cravens, S.

For Quinn Rams get a 4th and 6th - Dolphins get Quinn and 6th.

Minnesota would instantly upgrade to SB favourites if they got Cousins - and Denver currently have four picks in the top 100 - coupled with a likely trade down if they signed Cousins they could end up with six (suggestions that they will trade with the Bills and get 1.21 and 1.22 plus 3.96 - to go along with 2.40, 3.71 and 3.99). Personally I think a trade down with Miami or Arizona is more likely - or if they do trade with Buffalo - a trade back up into the first or at least the second round is very likely. The Broncos are a better team than the Jets.

It is worth nothing that John Elway is due to meet Cousins' agent today - he is also the agent for CJ Anderson - and apparently Mike Shanahan may come into play in terms of recruitment for the Broncos. When RG3 was drafted it was Snyder who made that pick - Shanahan insisted on taking Cousins in the 4th round and has been one of his most ardent supporters ever since. Shanahan and Gary Kubiak have a very close relationship (far closer than Elway and Shanahan) and Kubiak is now basically the Broncos Head of Personnel.

If the Broncos sign Cousins then don't be surprised if they take Roquan Smith ILB, Will Hernandez OG and Orlando Brown OT (although Brown was brutal at the combine so he could tumble). These three positions are the glaring weaknesses in the Broncos team after QB and there is plenty of depth at all three positions. Taking a OT and OG would instantly see a major upgrade in the OL.

The Vikings and Broncos maybe better than the Jets but their problem could be money if a team like the Jets waves enough of it in Cousins face. The fact he wants a 4 year contract with the majority guaranteed makes it hard for any team who has to shuffle to make room. He could go to the Vikes or Broncos but dont be surprised if he goes where the money is.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Probably should before it turns into a weird and whacky Broncos thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Quinn is on a wedge, seems the Fins are now 20 million over the cap.

Assume they'll make some cuts/trades, Landy and maybe Suh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I find putting a player on a franchise tag and then rescinding it and cutting him just bizarre. I’d have thought the union would raise hell over it.

I know the Panthers did it to Josh Norman but that worked out ok as he got a 5 year 75 million contract

It’s clear the Dolphins just tagged Landry to get some trade value. It’s not possible to them to enter next year with a $16 million wide receiver due to being in cap hell

It’d be very unfair if they drag it all out and then cut Landry after all the big money splurges in FA are over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I presume you're trading back for these, as 5 is too early, but outside of several other trades I think it is unlikely that Smith is still there by the time of any of the Bronco's likely trading partners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Quinn is on a wedge, seems the Fins are now 20 million over the cap.

Assume they'll make some cuts/trades, Landy and maybe Suh?

Cutting Timmons, Thomas and James should clear up about 30mill... restructure suh and a few others should free up more again.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I presume you're trading back for these, as 5 is too early, but outside of several other trades I think it is unlikely that Smith is still there by the time of any of the Bronco's likely trading partners.

It will be interesting to see where the pieces fall.

As for Cousins - been doing some reading up on the Vikings - and while they have some cap space this year they are facing a major cap headache next season. Waynes, Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter are all due contract extensions in 2019. Apparently the Vikings are low-balling Cousins because of the cap problems they have next year and that could shuffle them down below Denver and the Jets. Other than that they will have to cut some players for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Howard and 8th for Landry and 11th beimg reported atm

Guffy wrote: »
    Howard and 8th for Landry and 11th beimg reported atm

Rapoport is saying its fake news -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That is a stupid trade and it makes no sense. Has to be bullsh*t.

Better be bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. And following the Bears you read a lot of stupid things. They better not be doing that.

EDIT: I find it difficult to believe given Howard is one of Pace's great drafting successes, if you're supposed to be building your own team, you wouldn't trade away your success stories while they're still rookies. Also it would leave us without a good RB which we will need in order to allow Trubisky to develop, and would also be moving DOWN in the draft to do it (for a WR who is good but by no means stellar imo). I don't believe this story at all.

Latest on the Kirk Cousins saga - apparently asking for 3 years - $90million - fully guaranteed.

Vikings are balking because of the cap situation they face next year.

Latest on the Kirk Cousins saga - apparently asking for 3 years - $90million - fully guaranteed.

Vikings are balking because of the cap situation they face next year.

So guess he's saying no to the cold weather even though he'd be in an indoor stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

brinty wrote: »
    So guess he's saying no to the cold weather even though he'd be in an indoor stadium

Lots of regular away games in the Midwest winter though. Green Bay or Chicago in December aren't exactly toasty.

The NFC West is probably the place to go to avoid cold weather as much as possible, if that was actually a concern of his!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He's from Illinois and played his college in Michigan so I don't see cold weather being an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The DC area also can get quite bitterly cold in winter, probably quite close to Chicago levels. I don't think Cousins turned down 8 games indoors in Minnesota after several years of 8 games outdoors in Washington (on top of college) just to avoid one game in Chicago and another in GB, neither of which would be in particularly cold weather anyway if it were in the first 8-10 weeks of the year.

brinty wrote: »

New york, denver, minnisota, cleveland are all cold weather... he's left with Arizona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I think the original poster was probably joking. It would be a pretty funny rumour to go viral though, that a top level NFL QB is afraid to play in cold weather.

I setup an off season 2018 Trades and FA thread so we don't jam up the Wacky thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057847930

Reports that vinny curry is leaving Philly as they’re over the cap and need to cut/restructure/release some contracts and he’s counting $9m towards it in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

The sign up for the 2018 Boards mock draft is up if anyone is interested

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057848017/1/#post106345575

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/970810281415856129

2017: $167 million

2016 $155.27 million

2015 $143.28 million

2014 $133 million

2013 $123 million

2012 $120.6 million

2011 $120 million

Salary cap has gone up 44% since Aaron Rodgers signed his last extension.

They might live to regret those rapid increases if attendances and tv viewership figures keep declining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ed Hochuli retiring from officiating. We’ll miss the gun show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

paulie21 wrote: »

Always thought of hulk Hogan for some reason with Ed

"Whatcha gonna do when these 24 inch pythons call encroachment on you!!!!!!"

Blut2 wrote: »
    They might live to regret those rapid increases if attendances and tv viewership figures keep declining.

There was a great article on TV Figures last year that broke down how inaccurate TV numbers have become in recent years and believe the NFL numbers are not in decline. For the life of me can't find it

But they talked about how the US measures how many people are watching TV. For those who don't know there is survey companies who have up to 10,000 people doing these viewership surveys. They throw a box in your gaff and it monitors what you watch.

Then they grab figures based on these 10,000 or people and work out an algorithm to say something like if 3000 people out of the 10000 are watching that means that figure equals 24m based on the how many people have TVs in America. It is a complete fabrication. They are desperate for people to be part of the survey when they first knock on your door they are persistent and offer you gift cards even if you say no to them. It is an old method that is not a true reflection of todays market. You think with technology they could do it better but they don't.

One thing it does not do is use technology to figure out how many people watch online, or how many people DVR or how many go to a bar and watch and it does not count international customers at all.

The NFL do not worry about TV anymore as much as they used to because they know how many signup for gamepass and how many people buy their apparel which sales has gone up over the years and they also know their sponsorship money is guaranteed for years to come as it stands. They also know that over 3/4 of the teams fill their stadiums or at least get close to filling their stadiums.

Football and the NFL is not losing the popularity some people would have you believe.

TLDR TV Numbers mean fook all these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Well that was a rollercoaster of emotions.

b05e895b650334481ef0a4f8eff90c3b.png

Oat23 wrote: »
    Well that was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Bit of a rollercoaster for the Bears too. They are now paying at least $4.5 million more for 2018 than if they hadn’t declined his 5th year option. I know hindsight is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Bit of a rollercoaster for the Bears too. They are now paying at least $4.5 million more for 2018 than if they hadn’t declined his 5th year option. I know hindsight is great.

Fair to expect a long term contract to be sorted in the coming weeks so?

What's the deal with the transition tag if he signs for another team. Do Bears get comp picks or anything, no?

paulie21 wrote: »
    A brief statement from Hochuli on his retirement:

the-huge-book.jpg

The NFL do not worry about TV anymore as much as they used to because they know how many signup for gamepass and how many people buy their apparel which sales has gone up over the years and they also know their sponsorship money is guaranteed for years to come as it stands. They also know that over 3/4 of the teams fill their stadiums or at least get close to filling their stadiums.

That's a really good point actually, I watched probably upwards of 100 games this season, all of which were on NFL gamepass so as best I know, as per TV ratings (even if we all had Nielsen in our homes) I didn't watch a single one.

Knex. wrote: »
    Fair to expect a long term contract to be sorted in the coming weeks so?

What's the deal with the transition tag if he signs for another team. Do Bears get comp picks or anything, no?

Could go either way but a better chance than if he hit FA. Presume the number they’re willing to pay for him is somewhere between this and the franchise tag. If he comes to agreement with another team then the Bears can match. If they decline, then no comp picks for them when he goes.

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a really good point actually, I watched probably upwards of 100 games this season, all of which were on NFL gamepass so as best I know, as per TV ratings (even if we all had Nielsen in our homes) I didn't watch a single one.

Exactly its mad how many people think Nielsen are that accurate. When realistically they are not and there is no surprise the NFL really aren't worried about it. Oddly enough Networks still cling to Nielsen results even though they have their own online services and ways to get more data on show popularity. So many shows sh1t canned due to Nielsen data.

Oh and thank you for reminding me the name. Could not for the life of me remember Nielsen even though they have knocked on my door more than once :pac:

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »

Exactly its mad how many people think Nielsen are that accurate. When realistically they are not and there is no surprise the NFL really aren't worried about it. Oddly enough Networks still cling to Nielsen results even though they have their own online services and ways to get more data on show popularity. So many shows sh1t canned due to Nielsen data.

Oh and thank you for reminding me the name. Could not for the life of me remember Nielsen even though they have knocked on my door more than once :pac:
    I had a Nielsen box in a flat I lived in years ago in Dublin, they're a funny thing. We were supposed to sign out every time you leave the room, which was a pain in the ass so we never did it. You were meant to sign in all guests by entering their age and gender, which was also annoying and we never did that either.

Interesting story, we did the maths once and each person we signed in represented about 3000 viewers nationally. Once Dublin were playing a football replay and it clashed with a hurling match and everyone claimed it would destroy the viewership for the hurling which was on at the same time. I'm a massive hurling snob, so I signed in about ten fictional people for the hurling match, about 30000 people in ratings terms. The next week there was an article in various publications describing the shocking result that, wouldn't you know it, 30000 more people tuned in for the hurling than the football, defying all expectations.

So take what you will from that about the reliability of tv ratings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement