Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I had a Nielsen box in a flat I lived in years ago in Dublin, they're a funny thing. We were supposed to sign out every time you leave the room, which was a pain in the ass so we never did it. You were meant to sign in all guests by entering their age and gender, which was also annoying and we never did that either.

One of our neighbors has it and they go to the bother of doing. Way too much work for my liking :D
    Interesting story, we did the maths once and each person we signed in represented about 3000 viewers nationally. Once Dublin were playing a football replay and it clashed with a hurling match and everyone claimed it would destroy the viewership for the hurling which was on at the same time. I'm a massive hurling snob, so I signed in about ten fictional people for the hurling match, about 30000 people in ratings terms. The next week there was an article in various publications describing the shocking result that, wouldn't you know it, 30000 more people tuned in for the hurling than the football, defying all expectations.

Hilarious. I thought about doing it to spoof my favorite TV shows to keep them on the air :pac:
    So take what you will from that about the reliability of tv ratings.

For me this is the main reason the NFL do not worry about TV ratings as much as people think they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's the advertisers that decide what is and what is not on tv. They take the Nielsen ratings very seriously.

If the Nielsen ratings saying football is down then the advertisers are not willing to pay as much to advertise during football and as a result the next rights contracts are not going to be as big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's the advertisers that decide what is and what is not on tv. They take the Nielsen ratings very seriously.

If the Nielsen ratings saying football is down then the advertisers are not willing to pay as much to advertise during football and as a result the next rights contracts are not going to be as big.

Advertisers do not dictate what is on TV. They play a role in it all right but they are not the sole reason. As this is football thread I will leave it at that but where it applies to the NFL their Sponsors and advertisers are covered across their whole media platform and they usually sign long term deals. Point being Nielsen surveys are becoming old fashioned and the industry knows it including the NFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And that's without mentioning that advertising revenue in the nfl has been going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Yep and Superbowl Revenue broke the 400m mark for the first time this year.

Hardly signs that Advertisers have any power in negotiation with the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think last year Sky started taking into account downloads, downloads watched within X days of live broadcast.

tbh the only thing i actually watch live any consistency is the NFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

paulie21 wrote: »
    Ed Hochuli retiring from officiating. We’ll miss the gun show

https://twitter.com/nfl_memes/status/971087321851416577?s=21

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Any chance of Chiefs getting Richards Sherman in to replace Peters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Any chance of Chiefs getting Richards Sherman in to replace Peters?

I'd say very unlikely,
    1. Age: their stated goal is to get younger, hes turning 30 this month

2. Cost: I would expect him to command a decent sized contract, barring taking a cheap deal to go to a contender (Pats etc). While we're decent, we aren't a take a discount to go there team

3. Lockerroom: We still dont know all of what went into the Peters decision from his approach in the lockeroom, but Sherman is not a quiet considered type of guy. He's loud, he gets involved in the media. I like that but if that was part of the reason they parted with Peters, they wont want to target that in FA

Personally I'd like us to take a look but don't think it'd work for the front offices plan at the moment

Also worth considering that he had lost a little bit of pace even before the injury but still has the stature to demand a big salary - there is an element of gambling there, but if he's still Richard Sherman he's still a top 5 CB easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Looking forward to this

Neil gets right on my tits and disappointed no Jeff but should be a good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looking forward to this

Neil gets right on my tits and disappointed no Jeff but should be a good night

How many times will be say 'London born Jay Ajayi'?

How many times will be say 'London born Jay Ajayi'?

Bring back Dara Kenedy

CaJzOvYWkAAiOXb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭coco0981

Bring back Dara Kenedy

CaJzOvYWkAAiOXb.jpg
    What kind of ****ing sadist are you!? :eek:

Billy86 wrote: »
    What kind of ****ing sadist are you!? :eek:

Would use her **** for toothpaste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

The last time they were over they just talked about their careers on stage, took questions from the audience, had quizzes and prizes and after met with audience took pictures and signed stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Mike Evans just got paid. $82.5 million over 5 years

Browns might go 1-15 now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Browns might go 1-15 now

My Browns are the next/new Jags :P

On a serious note, chuffed with what we’re doing off the field last 2 years. Collection of good draft picks that have us into this position now. The dream now in Barkley & Mayfield in the draft. (I’ve been switching between Rosen Darnold & Baker last 3 months, going to stick with Baker now)

gstack166 wrote: »
    My Browns are the next/new Jags :P

On a serious note, chuffed with what we’re doing off the field last 2 years. Collection of good draft picks that have us into this position now. The dream now in Barkley & Mayfield in the draft. (I’ve been switching between Rosen Darnold & Baker last 3 months, going to stick with Baker now)

I hope Mayfield isn't a bust and gives a massive F.U.C.K Y.O.U to all the haters

Sherman to 49ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Sherman to 49ers
    ESPN reported that Sherman's deal is worth up to $39.15 million.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-ap-source-richard-sherman-agrees-to-3-year-deal-with-49ers-2018-3?r=US&IR=T

As a Packers fan I'd actually be relatively happy to have avoided that - there were rumours he was Green Bay bound. Theres no doubt hes still probably a good player. And he would definitely be worth a punt at a knockdown price. But I think theres no way a 30 year old, who was already in decline before his injury, coming back off a serious achilles injury, justifies that kind of massive money deal. There are less risky CBs who'll go for far far less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Blut2 wrote: »
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-ap-source-richard-sherman-agrees-to-3-year-deal-with-49ers-2018-3?r=US&IR=T

As a Packers fan I'd actually be relatively happy to have avoided that - there were rumours he was Green Bay bound. Theres no doubt hes still probably a good player. And he would definitely be worth a punt at a knockdown price. But I think theres no way a 30 year old, who was already in decline before his injury, coming back off a serious achilles injury, justifies that kind of massive money deal. There are less risky CBs who'll go for far far less.

Open to correction but I don't think any money is guaranteed other than the 5m signing bonus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He still is number one ranked in pretty muhc every stat that mateers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Posted this already on the FA thread. It is apparently nearly all incentives so very little risk to the 49ers. Looks like they've done another great deal by Lynch and Paraag.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/972666964668747776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Posted this already on the FA thread. It is apparently nearly all incentives so very little risk to the 49ers. Looks like they've done another great deal by Lynch and Paraag.

Will he be ready for the start of the season, ruptured Achilles will knock him back a bit

Thats a great deal for the 49ers. You can ignore my previous post now, after those details coming to light things are a bit different!

I'd still worry about him losing a fair bit of pace with the age plus injury combo mind you. But hes definitely worth a punt at that price.

cosatron wrote: »
    Will he be ready for the start of the season, ruptured Achilles will knock him back a bit

Everything is pointing to him being ready for camp.

Actually an article out that the extra procedure he had will actually make it less likely to be an issue going forward. Still obviously a concern for a CB, especially one of his age.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/972641311571435520

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

https://twitter.com/WatchStadium/status/973374760632619008

This is the story behind it.
    Brian Hoyer, Patriots quarterback, 2009-11: "We played up at Buffalo and we couldn't fly back into Boston because the weather was so bad, so we had to stay the night in Rochester. We drove there, and we all decided we'd go out to dinner together. Tom being who he was, he usually couldn't come to a team event like that. We might be at Capital Grille and he is sneaking in the back door and then people realize he's there and he has to leave. But this was impromptu at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Rochester. The whole team is there. And it turns into a beer-chugging contest. You have linemen, Julian Edelman, they all think they are going to win. Then someone says, 'I heard Tom is really great at chugging a beer.' We don't usually get to experience him like this, but we finally coax him into doing it. He does it, and let me tell you, you couldn't have poured out the beer faster into a glass. It was unbelievable. And he slams the mug on the table and puts both fists in the air. He walks away with a look on his face that said, 'You really thought you were going to beat me on this?' The place went nuts."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-five-missteps-negotiating-his-contract-with-ers/DeOmLJypHmxvk5Ev1V5z7H/amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting article on how not to negotiate a contract

Sets out five steps on mistakes that Sherman made and this 3 years 39 million is completely misleading

Maybe negotiating without an agent is not so smart after all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So saw reports that Cousins has a camera crew with him, recording his Free Agency process this off-season.

A nice little bonus on top of a mega contract that he will end up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    So saw reports that Cousins has a camera crew with him, recording his Free Agency process this off-season.

A nice little bonus on top of a mega contract that he will end up with.

No wonder he hasn't committed or plans to visit every team.

Guffy wrote: »
    No wonder he hasn't committed or plans to visit every team.

Never even thought of that!
    Looks to be down to Cardinals, Jets or Vikings, surely be decided before draft.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22739533/kirk-cousins-having-video-crew-document-free-agent-journey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talks keenum is going to the broncos, not sure how he will do there

Hococop wrote: »
    Talks keenum is going to the broncos, not sure how he will do there

Looks a done deal.

Initial reports came out yesterday then a flurry this morning saying he is set to sign. More than likely a short term deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looks a done deal.

Initial reports came out yesterday then a flurry this morning saying he is set to sign. More than likely a short term deal.

One less city for Cousins and his TV crew to visit then.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-five-missteps-negotiating-his-contract-with-ers/DeOmLJypHmxvk5Ev1V5z7H/amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting article on how not to negotiate a contract

Sets out five steps on mistakes that Sherman made and this 3 years 39 million is completely misleading

Maybe negotiating without an agent is not so smart after all

Thats a great article. The 49ers really did well. Sherman should definitely have paid the 3% to an agent...

Interesting narrative being pushed there, and I suppose it all depends on your perspective. One man’s a player backing himself is another man’s ‘taken for a ride’. For example, players regularly get ‘played’ by the Patriots into deals that aren’t what they could have gotten if they went to the highest bidder, and that is while they’re also paying 3% to their agents for the pleasure. Many laud these players for their willingness to do this so it is strange (though not surprising) for a Boston newspaper of all places to have this ‘take’. I’d suspect they’d be talking very differently if he signed this deal with the Patriots.

Interesting narrative being pushed there, and I suppose it all depends on your perspective. One man’s a player backing himself is another man’s ‘taken for a ride’. For example, players regularly get ‘played’ by the Patriots into deals that aren’t what they could have gotten if they went to the highest bidder, and that is while they’re also paying 3% to their agents for the pleasure. Many laud these players for their willingness to do this so it is strange (though not surprising) for a Boston newspaper of all places to have this ‘take’. I’d suspect they’d be talking very differently if he signed this deal with the Patriots.

Like you said depends on how you interpret it.

Personally be on the side that he hasn't gotten the best for himself. I'm all for a player backing himself to do well. But this contract seems to be built a way that the 49ers benefit hugely from. If Sherman does do brilliantly next season and gets the incentives offered (tough ones at that) then he would have leaped back into the category of top CBs in the league. Unfortunately for him he will also be committed into a contract where he will not be paid at this level. Also the severe lack of guaranteed money is a bit nuts.

At first I thought he didn't care about the money and just wanted to play for a competitive fun team at any cost, but then to read he represented himself to avoid an agent fee I switched to thinking the 49ers took advantage of him somewhat.

Listen for him money isn't a concern, he wants to play with a team that could compete, he's got that. If he bounces back as one of the best in the league he'll see some extra cash too. But to come out of the negotiations as if he has pulled off some great steal of a contract for himself does not seem accurate at all.

Like you said depends on how you interpret it.

Personally be on the side that he hasn't gotten the best for himself. I'm all for a player backing himself to do well. But this contract seems to be built a way that the 49ers benefit hugely from. If Sherman does do brilliantly next season and gets the incentives offered (tough ones at that) then he would have leaped back into the category of top CBs in the league. Unfortunately for him he will also be committed into a contract where he will not be paid at this level. Also the severe lack of guaranteed money is a bit nuts.

At first I thought he didn't care about the money and just wanted to play for a competitive fun team at any cost, but then to read he represented himself to avoid an agent fee I switched to thinking the 49ers took advantage of him somewhat.

Listen for him money isn't a concern, he wants to play with a team that could compete, he's got that. If he bounces back as one of the best in the league he'll see some extra cash too. But to come out of the negotiations as if he has pulled off some great steal of a contract for himself does not seem accurate at all.

The contract is structured is definitely a win-win for the 49ers, no doubt about it. Even when they were a shambles they rarely put together a contract that was bad for the team, so it isn’t surprising.

I disagree that if he performs that he won’t get paid enough, he’ll get $13m and that is top 10 money for a CB and I think $2m more than he would on his contract with the Seahawks. It also means additional money the following year becomes guaranteed, which would be tougher for him to get as a 31 year old CB next offseason after an initial 1 year ‘prove it’ contract.

I agree he could have guaranteed himself more money by following the path laid out by the article, holding out and waiting for teams to panic or an injury, but I think the hyperbole of how much he has been screwed is over the top and likely has a lot to do with the general dislike for Sherman. Listing out the reasons why the deal makes sense at the beginning of the article doesn’t absolve them from the remainder.

The contract is structured is definitely a win-win for the 49ers, no doubt about it. Even when they were a shambles they rarely put together a contract that was bad for the team, so it isn’t surprising.

I disagree that if he performs that he won’t get paid enough, he’ll get $13m and that is top 10 money for a CB and I think $2m more than he would on his contract with the Seahawks. It also means additional money the following year becomes guaranteed, which would be tougher for him to get as a 31 year old CB next offseason after an initial 1 year ‘prove it’ contract.

I agree he could have guaranteed himself more money by following the path laid out by the article, holding out and waiting for teams to panic or an injury, but I think the hyperbole of how much he has been screwed is over the top and likely has a lot to do with the general dislike for Sherman. Listing out the reasons why the deal makes sense at the beginning of the article doesn’t absolve them from the remainder.

I understand your point. I personally don't think such a big deal would have been made about it had Sherman not ditched the agent to avoid the fee, and then claiming no agent could have gotten a better deal.

Also on the highlighted part. The additional money is only guaranteed if he has an incredible season. If it was a case of him having a pro-bowl season I can't imagine he would have any problems getting a contract with good guaranteed money even with him turning 31.

It's clear as day he didn't get the better end of the deal, he wants to imagine he did, but realistically he didn't. I was on board with the opinion that he just wants to be happy and doesn't care about money, but if he didn't care about money so much then a 1-3% fee shouldn't be his motivation for dropping an agent.

Have to wait and see how it all unfolds, if he doesn't bounce back could be looking for a new team next season anyway. Personally think the reason so many are going on about him being screwed (myself included despite him still making good money) is due to the fact how he's claiming he got the best deal out there and no agent could have done better, these attempts to play up his ego despite the fact that if he had of used an agent he would no doubt have ended up with a better payday.

Just got an email to say I won tickets to this NFL dublin event :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just got an email to say I won tickets to this NFL dublin event :)

Yep me too, great that its free aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Just got my email too! Does anyone know what the breakdown of the actual show is?

wong wrote: »
    Just got my email too! Does anyone know what the breakdown of the actual show is?

Nope had try to do some digging but its not affiliated to Sky despite Neil Reynolds being a part of it, but assume it'll be a Q&A

Yep me too, great that its free aswell

Won 4 actually! Forgot I registered my girlfriend too :)

Will be a great night

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement