Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Browns tie down Jarvis Landry to a $75.5 million deal over 5 years with $47 million guaranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wow, Jarvis Landry and the browns have agreed a contract extension..
    5 years at $75.5m with $47m guaranteed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So with that market for a mostly slot receiver, Odell is definitely getting that $20m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

brinty wrote: »
    Is this the pats thread or general bantz...

easy now pats fans ;)

Nah to some its the

" The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2 Denver Broncos and I can't help help talking about the Pats even though I hate them thread"

Foster charged on the deadline to do so with a number of felonies that could total up to 11 years in prison. The charges and the details on what they claim he did are much worse than the press and the 49ers themselves were expecting.

Despite him being the best player on defense, they’ll likely have to cut him now even before a trial and conviction. Huge blow to the team, especially with how many of these cases fall apart and the simple fact that pretty much every team out there will quickly try to pick him up if that happens. If it is true I wouldn’t want a player with that history near my team so probably the best thing to do.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Foster charged on the deadline to do so with a number of felonies that could total up to 11 years in prison. The charges and the details on what they claim he did are much worse than the press and the 49ers themselves were expecting.

Despite him being the best player on defense, they’ll likely have to cut him now even before a trial and conviction. Huge blow to the team, especially with how many of these cases fall apart and the simple fact that pretty much every team out there will quickly try to pick him up if that happens. If it is true I wouldn’t want a player with that history near my team so probably the best thing to do.

How to throw your life away 101. What an absolute scumbag though if all proven true. Punched her in the head 8-10 times and she went to the hospital so most likely they will have picture evidence of the damage. If so can't see how he walks away from this.

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    How to throw your life away 101. What an absolute scumbag though if all proven true. Punched her in the head 8-10 times and she went to the hospital so most likely they will have picture evidence of the damage. If so can't see how he walks away from this.

He is so powerful too, I would think one punch from him would end me. Everything that leaked before today was that he’d dragged her out of the house (not including by the hair) which I think would quickly blow over, but definitely not a conviction of this (or possibly even just the charge).

It could have been an even bigger disaster for the 49ers as they were contemplating him at 1.2 or 1.3 last year and then made numerous attempts to try to jump up higher in the first to get him, presumably offering more picks than they eventually did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Since we are talking harmony with the Pats this is really cool and heartfelt article by Nate Solder talking about life in New England but the main topic is about what its like to have something more serious than football impacted his life, dealing with his infant son having cancer and still having to win on Sunday's

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/nate-solder-patriots-giants-thank-you

Dez Bryant has been released by the cowboys

Holy fluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

brinty wrote: »
    Dez Bryant has been released by the cowboys

Holy fluck

Wasn't that expected?

• Advertisement

Wasn't that expected?

TBH i'm not sure..
    We've been doing in depth analysis with a lot of the receivers in the draft but i didn't think they'd pull the trigger and cut him now.

We've something like 28-30m in dead cap this year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dez is unstoppable when on, but by and large is one of the more overrated wrs in the game I find. He's not been right for three years. If someone can get him on a prove it deal though, they might get a steal.

Apparently he said "he'd see the Cowboys twice this season" as he left the Cowboys' facility so he's either going to sign with an NFC East team or is some sort of clairvoyant and is going to sign for a team that the Cowboys play in the regular season and again in he playoffs.

He never really clicked with fez/has gone downhill. Hurnz should replace him well enough

With regards seeng the cowboys twice a year the eagles don't have the cap, the giants probably have to much cap assigned to reciever particularly with the odb contract and redskins would likely see him lose to them twice a year so that hardly getting back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wasn't that expected?

Expected this season ? No but was it coming ? Yes. It's been clear that things haven't been all sunshine and rainbows in Dallas but if every player left a team because things weren't perfect then no player would be on any team. Winning can paper over issues on teams and Dallas haven't won a lot recently. Also, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league.

The statement from Jerry jones is interesting though. He says he and dez had a relationship that he's only had with a few players during his ownership of the cowboys. That makes me think that Jerry was out flanked, because you don't make a statement like that after you've left a player go.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Expected this season ? No but was it coming ? Yes. It's been clear that things haven't been all sunshine and rainbows in Dallas but if every player left a team because things weren't perfect then no player would be on any team. Winning can paper over issues on teams and Dallas haven't won a lot recently. Also, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league.

The statement from Jerry jones is interesting though. He says he and dez had a relationship that he's only had with a few players during his ownership of the cowboys. That makes me think that Jerry was out flanked, because you don't make a statement like that after you've left a player go.

Especially when they did. If they let him go at the start of FA he would’ve had a much better chance of a team overpaying for him. Obviously, the Hurns release and signing probably also changed things a bit for them. At least they didn’t wait until after the draft.

4 game ban for Mark Sanchez for PEDs. If he finds a team of course.

He should sue his dealer.

Those of you that have gamepass, the Total Access from tonight the interview with Dez Bryant is very interesting. He doesn't name people specifically but he alludes to who may have been behind him being cut from the Cowboys.

He talks about "garrets guys" and mentions the players who walk around with "C" on which is the team captains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

4 game ban for Mark Sanchez for PEDs. If he finds a team of course.

Dirty Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Any word on what the Sanchez PED in question is? That might help or hinder his "accidental intake" story. I can't see anything on a quick Googling.

Guys on Dez,most people are saying the C is Dak and the other to blame is Scott Linehan the OC

Blut2 wrote: »
    Any word on what the Sanchez PED in question is? That might help or hinder his "accidental intake" story. I can't see anything on a quick Googling.

Maybe he ate the same Mexican meat that Canelo ate? That seems like a great excuse to use

Surely the blame lies on Dez being crap last year and average at best the season before?

It's not like he was performing. If he was, he'd still be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

He never really clicked with fez/has gone downhill. Hurnz should replace him well enough

With regards seeng the cowboys twice a year the eagles don't have the cap, the giants probably have to much cap assigned to reciever particularly with the odb contract and redskins would likely see him lose to them twice a year so that hardly getting back

He's not getting 18m from anyone. Giants could create the space by extending Beckham and cutting Marshall.

I think he signs for the Eagles.

Apparently Tom Brady was the guy who threatened Story Daniels a few years back

https://deadspin.com/who-does-this-alleged-trump-goon-remind-you-of-1825326655

Apparently Tom Brady was the guy who threatened Story Daniels a few years back

https://deadspin.com/who-does-this-alleged-trump-goon-remind-you-of-1825326655

Had to quote you and share the pic from the article its comedy gold Tom must be moonlighting as a Trump goon

q6dvxc0psckp7b7q9q5a.jpg

"Like I said, he’s been a friend of mine, supported our team. He’s been on the Patriots sidelines a lot and always called me after games to encourage me over the course of 15 years."

What else was discussed during those phone calls Tom, what else!? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Seahawks are reportely going to waive their 2017 35th overall pick Malik McDowell in the coming days.

Its interesting because the guy has a scary high ceiling and supreme physical gifts, but there has always been huge attitude and commitment concerns pre-draft. These concerns seem to gotten worse for sure since he entered the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

letowski wrote: »
    Seahawks are reportely going to waive their 2017 35th overall pick Malik McDowell in the coming days.

Its interesting because the guy has a scary high ceiling and supreme physical gifts, but there has always been huge attitude and commitment concerns pre-draft. These concerns seem to gotten worse for sure since he entered the pros.

Isn’t it because he’s still not cleared after the horrible ATV accident? He hasn’t been able to play a snap and there were serious worries about him regaining full functionality if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Isn’t it because he’s still not cleared after the horrible ATV accident? He hasn’t been able to play a snap and there were serious worries about him regaining full functionality if I remember correctly.

Yes, he hasn't been medical cleared yet. I think though, he was going to be ok for this season.

NFL Schedules released this Thursday. 1am Irish time it gets released ESPN and NFL Network doing shows for it. Expect some leaks on Twitter like last year mid afternoon on Thursday

Getting in there before a certain someone tells us all that things are bad in New England

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/986580283964248065

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Getting in there before a certain someone tells us all that things are bad in New England

Schefter is the master of keeping himself in the news with such complete non-news tweets. A*****e! :mad:

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    Schefter is the master of keeping himself in the news with such complete non-news tweets. A*****e! :mad:

His source is ESPN so that tells you everything about the story. Both ESPN and Schefter trying to stay relevant with their Pats off season stories.

Got to love Gotham Chopra throwing Fuel on the Dumpster fire that is offseason news:

https://twitter.com/gothamchopra/status/986612211194871808

For those who don't know Chopra he is the guy who made Tom Vs Time and a very good friend of Brady. And this response by Chopra was in response to Albert Breer's tweet:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/986582727351832578

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Brady and Gronk are not attending start of off-season workouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Would they be expected to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's no biggie really. I'm sure they'll attend after a couple of days.
    We are getting the usual media spyglass treatment at the moment. If anything is even remotely out of the ordinary they are turning it into a Bill vs Guerrero story. They are just desperate for the dynasty to end is how I see it.

• Advertisement

Brady has missed parts of the OTAs more than a few times in the last 8-10 years. Also the Pats knew he was missing them as did anyone who follows his best buddies and TB12 stuff. His schedule was no mystery. But guys like you want to leave out the facts.

As for Gronk he will either play or retire no surprise there to anyone. You must have loved ESPNs article today.

Guffy wrote: »

Would they be expected to?

Depends on who you ask but Spring OTAs are usually the most missed sessions of the off season by veteren players.

But that doesn't stop the rumor mills

'40 year old QB and 8 year veteran, injury prone HOF TE skip OTAs' just doesn't have the same ring to it though, does it?

If I recall Favre in his last few years at GB had basically zero OTA involvement, for example. Someone might mention how that ended but... Jimmy's gone, and Brady's not playing up retirement from what I have seen (despite some stories trying to create that narrative in recent days) while Favre publicly flirted with it on a few occasions.

Results from a poll of player agents on their feelings toward teams, office personnel, NFLPA, and the CBA. A small sample, but interesting responses. Some definitely in line with what fans would expect

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-agent-poll-bruce-allen-redskins-bill-belichick-demaurice-smith/528741002/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Good read. Interesting. I often wonder why more pro athlete's don't do similar. Seems like a pretty nice life he has mapped out for himself now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good read. Interesting. I often wonder why more pro athlete's don't do similar. Seems like a pretty nice life he has mapped out for himself now!

Probably banked a net 7 or 8 million. Crazy to think if he declared the year before that figure would be 40 million.

For the guys who have all the talent and no effort locker had all the effort but just not enough talent. Still very well liked by titans fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Probably banked a net 7 or 8 million. Crazy to think if he declared the year before that figure would be 40 million.

For the guys who have all the talent and no effort locker had all the effort but just not enough talent. Still very well liked by titans fans

I think his talent was somewhat hampered by his injuries. Very likeable chap overall. Admire the way he left 20+million on the table to go back to college as he felt he wasnt ready.

It's a story not often written but the reality is with 7-8 million and his grandmother's house, the guy wont need to work. He has a nice set up and seem's content with life. More than can be said for alot of these Pro's who make 10-20 times more.

Will Compton, formerly of the Redskins, now linebacker for the Titans.

https://twitter.com/_willcompton/status/987075653215424512

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement