Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a fun website though of course, I would prefer though if it had input from several people, or some kind of poll function (even to go in conjunction with the severity ratings already there).

A lot of the stuff on that website has being debunked, One Steeler fan went through it in depth and showed how little research went into the making of the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

phatkev wrote: »
    A lot of the stuff on that website has being debunked, One Steeler fan went through it in depth and showed how little research went into the making of the website.

Any link to it? Curious to see what is and isn't real on that website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JCTO wrote: »
    Any link to it? Curious to see what is and isn't real on that website.

Just Google'd it there - yet to read it though: http://steelcurtainrising.com/2015/05/your-team-cheats-debunked-steelers-patriots-deflatgate-cheating-steroids.html/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Every cheating story has a link tbf, so it's not just been plucked from thin air.

The scoring is somewhat completely arbitrary and opinionated but i think the scoring is just there to show some type of relativity between the incidents of cheating otherwise people would say well the Patriots taping opponents defensive signals from not an approved area is 100x worse than the Broncos Salary Cap violations as the media/fan outcry was 100x worse.

I presume the website is run by a Pats fan just to highlight how cheating exists for every team in the NFL not just one team as ESPN and the NFL would have you believe.

Not the strongest debunking i have ever read and only focuses on one team.

Again i don't think the site is supposed to be taken as a scientific journal but to highlight there is more than one team involved in cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Vandango wrote: »
    If a Ravens fan wants to dump an article and run. Then a Saints fan is perfectly entitled to respond imo.

I think here is a big difference between posting an article that was just written verus digging up random negative articles about another franchise. If the trend of trying to "one-up" another poster based on who he supports then this place is going to be like the soccer forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Putin wrote: »
    Since we've had a Ravens fan post a bull**** article for reading purposes. I think it's only fair to restore some balance to the thread. As a Saints fan it bugs me how we got buried over Bountygate, yet Suggs and the Ravens got away with it. But that's not the only thing they've got away with.

Firstly, it's not a bull**** article, its topical given whats happened and given the game is a couple of days away, frankly i found it very interesting.

Secondly, Paully is a pretty solid poster.

If the Ravens had won the SB, if the Ravens were involved in deflate gate, Paully would still be posting the articles.

Thats not the website I read but it all seems pretty similar, it might not be fully debunking the cases but he does show there alot of biased points in it and a hell of a lot of the claims in it are pure speculation.

Maybe you should take that SI article to the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Breaking News: Man seen filming Pats game with iPhone at a game last year :rolleyes:. I mean seriously ffs, imo that article is a joke. I'm a Jets fan and I'll always do some filming when I'm at a game. But I suppose if I was Pats fan there would be some sinister element to it.

It's actually a very naive article and smacks off somebody that doesn't really know their NFL history. This Belichick/Pats chip on the shoulder thing is well worn out at this stage. So much bull**** in that article. Spygate Cameragate was about where teams could and could not use camera. The memo was sent to every team because every team was at it, but according to revisionist history you would think that wasn't the case.

A guy films from the newly designated areas it was fine. A guy filmed outside of the designated areas it wasn't fine. And that's pretty much the long and the short of that storm in a tea cup. Several weeks after the memo a Pats team official, in full Pats gear, in front of thousands of Jets fans did what every other had team been doing up until the start of the 2007 season - he filmed the other teams sidelines and the Pats got punished for it.

People seem to think that filming is illegal, well it's not. We just had a rule change for when it could be done and from where it could be done. The only question a neutral like myself has about cameragate is, what other teams tapes did Goodell destroy? What teams did he let off the hook and what was he hiding? He had already buried the Pats, so who was he protecting? Not that I personally think that cameragate was even an issue anyway.

Here's a pic from 2011. 4 years after cameragate and a Jets cameraman was filming the Pats in clear violation of the rules that the Pats got buried for...

36395_Jets_Cheating.jpg

A lame excuse was given and we got away with it. No doubt former Jets intern himself - Roger Goodell probably still wears green tinted glasses.

Teams have been sweeping visiting team changing rooms and hotel facilities for bugs since way back in the Seventies. The Colts have never been punished for their fake noise to block out visiting teams. My own Jets used to open stadium doors in the old stadium to create a wind vacuum when a visiting team were kicking or punting. Every team in the league has done something to cross the line through the decades.

The greatest cheat in NLF history - Jerry Rice remains unpunished. He admitted that he coated his arms, gloves and forearms in stickum. A transparent and very sticky substance that makes it impossible to drop a ball. S.I. might do well to take off the tin foil and look at real cheats like him.

Poor losers just need to stop whining about the Pats and stop being hypocrites. Every team in the league has done something to cross the line through the decades and I could fill a thread with it tbh.

you are the strangest Jet fan I have ever come across. the above picture was not a violation, and was prefectly within the rules. Albert Breer called PFT up on it when they originally posted it. the rule on it reads “Club video crews & video crews from television stations that produce and telecast club-licensed programming may also be permitted to have a camera on the sidelines to shoot footage for those club-licensed programs only.” and Home & visiting club-related sideline video personnel [coaches’ shows, team programming] will wear lime green vests.” Looks like a Lime green vest to me in that picture

the whole thing about opening up the doors is just pure speculation at best, an urban myth amongst New Yorkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

if the Ravens were involved in deflate gate, Paully would still be posting the articles.

But according to a former Ravens QB, the Ravens were deflating football years before the recent nonsense blew up. In fairness though, he did also play for the Jets, Bengals, Saints, Cardinals, Eagles and the Bears. So the Ravens probably weren't the only ones who were cheating.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-01-28/former-nfl-qb-jeff-blake-says-deflating-footballs-is-common-tom-brady-deflategate

phatkev wrote: »
    Thats not the website I read but it all seems pretty similar, it might not be fully debunking the cases but he does show there alot of biased points in it and a hell of a lot of the claims in it are pure speculation.

Bias, random claims and speculation...hmm where does that sound familiar? Spygate? Deflategate? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Putin wrote: »
    Since we've had a Ravens fan post a bull**** article for reading purposes.

Long story short, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Especially rival fans and if they're going to start subtle sniping at other teams.

Firstly, I'll post whatever I want on here unless I'm advised by a moderator to do otherwise.

Those 2 articles were big news in the American football community today. I read them, found them interesting and said I'd post them on here, a forum where I have a large amount of posts covering lots of different topics. I didn't "just run" either as he been alluded to by Vandango. In the SI article I posted, I commented and posed a question. In addition, aside from one post out of courtesy on the Madden forum (an American football video game) I was off Boards for the early part of the night. It may come as a surprise despite having near 20,000 posts that I'm not actually on here 24/7 :pac:

Anyway, to address the points you made re: the Ravens:

1) Ray Lewis: I was quite young when it happened and to be honest, didn't really know what American football was at that time much less follow the sport or support a team. It was only something I learned of at a much later stage. It's probably a (detailed) argument for another thread and there would be people on here who would run rings around me about the case despite me being a Ravens fan, but at the end of the day there was a trial. Maybe the DA should be getting the brunt of your anger for accepting a deal.

2) The fake challenges: Absolutely on the borderline of pushing rules to the limit where there's nothing specifically in place against it, similar to what the author of the SI article alluded to being what the Patriots do, an example being the "illegal" formation against the Ravens. However, it's not something I have an issue with and I never had an issue with that Patriots play at the time or since either. In fact, I praised them for it and criticised the Ravens for not being prepared.

3) Ravens Bountygate - again something that occurred before I even became a fan of the sport and I don't think I've ever commented on Saints bountygate for the simple fact I don't know enough about it.

4) Ravens Deflategate - I'd suggest that's more than Ravens-specific. He said "every team does it, every game". He coincidentally also played for the Saints. ;)

5) Antlergate - From USA Today: "Ross, 45, was asked directly Friday if Lewis, who made a rable recovery to return Jan. 6, asked Ross for deer antler spray, which contains the league's banned substance IGF-1."No," Ross said. He was asked if he had proof that Lewis put the spray his mouth. "I've never seen him put it in his mouth," Ross said. In addition, Ross said that SI had essentially played him like a fiddle - again from USA Today: "I got duped by Sports Illustrated. They catfished me. They dated me for two years and then made me look like a goofball. I'm trying to make right the wrong." The man himself claims he was duped. Lets also not forget how poor Lewis was that year. If he was taking anything I'd have been asking for my money back if I was him :pac:

6) Suggs - I think he's an excellent player but quite clearly a scumbag off the field (and many would argue on it). If he wasn't as good as he is he'd have been out of the league some time ago (as would many others who have done similar to him). You'll find no argument otherwise from me. What can I do about that?.

7) Ray Rice, John Harbaugh etc - My thoughts on how the Ravens handled that situation are well documented on here and to say I felt it wasn't good would be an understatement.

"People in glass houses" you say? If no one on here could comment or post about another team because their own team have a player(s) who has done something wrong or the team themselves has has done something wrong then this forum would have 0 posts.

Anyway, back to the crux of the matter - as far as I'm aware, I doubt the Patriots lads on here would say there's too many occasions when I have been anything but respectful towards them or the team. I've generally always congratulated/commiserated with the Patriots fans in their thread when they have played the Ravens. 3 of the first few posts (2 of which were after tough losses) that come up when you search my post history on their thread for example are 1) (directly after the Ravens lost the playoff game in 2014) - "Well done lads. One heck of a game. An emotional rollercoster that was just impossible to know who was going to come out with the W.", 2) "Well done tonight lads. We were awful, but you got the job done nice and early and we never looked like threatening at all." 3) "Hey lads, just want to saw unlucky today. It was a great game, a real chess match and decided by one turnover. Good luck for the offseason and draft and I look forward to the regular season game next season at M&T."

Am I going to post articles that may be negative about them? If I find the article interesting, sure but same goes for every team, even my own. Obviously things get said in the heat of the moment and I'm far from a saint on Boards, but if you're wanting to pin being a Patriot-hater on someone then you've got the wrong guy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Vandango wrote: »
    If a Ravens fan wants to dump an article and run. Then a Saints fan is perfectly entitled to respond imo.

Does everyone think that everything posted here comes with an agenda or something?

The reason Paully posted it, I'd imagine, is because it's a fairly big article that blew up all over Twitter and social media today. It's an interesting read.

With all that said, as someone who has written articles and read some búll in the red tops in my time I find a lot of it hard to believe and accept a lot of it mainly due to words like 'a source close to Belichick revealed' or 'a former Pats employee said'. If you're going to write a hard hitting article then get someone on record to say it. Don't pander to the likes of the Sun readers with vague mentions of people that may or may not exist to suit a viewpoint. And therein lies the problem with a lot of what is in that article - fans outside the Pats will say 'well there it is, they cheated since 2000' or whatever without actually reading between the lines.

One line in particular shows the complete bias of it from a writing point of view:
    Then the Patriots' coach, Bill Belichick, the cheating program's mastermind,

There's a chance that it happened but it's 8 years ago, nobody cares any more. The league would be as well suited to make sure future law breaking doesn't happen rather than revisit old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BailOutABanker

Secondly, Paully is a pretty solid poster.

As a former active member of this forum, I will say he has a habit of cleverly & subtle sniping at the Pats. Every now and again he posts something that has the potential to stir it up. I don't buy the veil he hides behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

As a former active member of this forum, I will say he has a habit of cleverly & subtle sniping at the Pats. Every now and again he posts something that has the potential to stir it up. I don't buy the veil he hides behind.

I actually would think paully is one of the more informative posters on the forum, I found the articles interesting to read as an nfl fan, I also belive he put them up with good intentions as they are big news in America, I haven't seen any attempts by him to stir up any ill feeling with fans of any other franchise on purpose,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As a former active member of this forum ... I don't buy the veil he hides behind.

Irony eh? :rolleyes:

The author of the OTL report, Don Van Natta in December:

ballen.jpg?a69fa3

Don Van Natta today:

goodelllllkiik.jpg?a69fa3

Basically making it up as he goes along to suit his narrative no matter how much it contradicts his beliefs a couple of months ago. In December, the owners order the destruction of the tapes. Today, Goodell and his two BFFs Kraft and Belichick ordered the destruction of the tapes.

What infuriates me as a Pats fan is that ESPN was blowing up Deflategate as a massive cheating story for the last 6 months. Today, Deflategate is not really a big deal, its was just drummed up by the owners to get the Patriots after how much they cheated before.

Its not like this information is new. Its basically ESPN making up the stories to keep the news cycle going. The timing of this report is blatantly obvious. If Brady had lost in the courts last week, i'm sure ESPN would have gone with Don Van Natta's original narrative.

Anybody who takes ESPN at face value at this point is a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The story does fit the bill of Weird and Wacky quite well.
    An opinion piece missing any facts or evidence.
    It just highlights the obsession people have with the Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

ESPN are a joke.

They told stories about the tape room etc back in 2007 for which the source was disproved and they issued a formal retraction.
    Now 8 years later here they are using the same source to kick stuff up again just as deflategate is being put behind us... that's some quality reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Honestly, I'm just gonna come out and say this.

Has anyone else got the feeling that there are posters set up on this board claiming to be fans of other teams but with a leaning to the Patriots? It's seriously weird and there's at least two in the last few pages of this thread.

It's like these accounts have been set up to give some sort of weird balance :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

SantryRed wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm just gonna come out and say this.

Has anyone else got the feeling that there are posters set up on this board claiming to be fans of other teams but with a leaning to the Patriots? It's seriously weird and there's at least two in the last few pages of this thread.

It's like these accounts have been set up to give some sort of weird balance :confused:

Non-Pats fans sick of the ridiculous media reporting? It must be some sort of Pats fan conspiracy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So, completely off-topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I read that ESPN piece yesterday from start to finish and I have to say its a pile of s*ite. I have no issue with it being posted by Paully as it is big news in the US, but its a complete hatchet job (typical of ESPN) devoid of many hard facts.

I lost track of the amount of 'a source claimed' 'a source believed' etc contained in it. Even those mentioned by name just claim that 'we knew something must be up'. Even some of the claims made are contradicted by the same person (see Hazys post above)

What really highlighted the piece for what it is was the mention of the totally unfounded rumour that the Pats taped the Rams walk through before SB36. The article makes reference to rumours surfacing but takes a number of paragraphs before pointing out that the rumour was utter nonsense. It would have been so easy to say 'There were even unfounded rumours...' but the report didn't even bother to make the pretense of being balanced.

And just to be absolutely clear. I'm a Dolphins fan as can be seen by my posting history, which didn't start yesterday or today. I'm as far from a Patriots apologist as there is, but that article (and Deflategate) was utter garbage in true ESPN fashion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought it was a good article to be honest, a lot of work obviously went into it and a lot of people were spoken to about it and there are a lot of sources mentioned.

It's not surprising that a lot of people on here don't like what it has to say but I think i raises some good questions. I find it amazing that Godell is still in a job to be honest, he goes from one mess to another.

I think it is completely out of order for people to be registering new accounts to be having a go a Paully D for posting it, it's completely relevant and on topic, the team he is a fan if is irrelevant and if he hadn't posted it I probably would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think it is completely out of order for people to be registering new accounts to be having a go a Paully D for posting it, it's completely relevant and on topic, the team he is a fan if is irrelevant and if he hadn't posted it I probably would have.
    I saw one new account. Where are the multiple accounts that had a go at Paully?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Moving on.......

I see BBC secured the rights to the Wembley games for the next two years, as well as SB50.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Right enough chat about articles/suspicious new posters

Further posts will be deleted and multiple infractions will result in a forum holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

So, completely off-topic...

Dez really come across bad...dump or creepy, maybe both. Luck is a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

PIORUN wrote: »

Ah man, I don't know about that. He laughed his way through it, I thought.

Think they all came across quite well in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Harsh. He seemed to be having the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dez really come across bad...dump or creepy, maybe both.

seriously?

i thought everyone came across well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I thought it was pretty cool. I particularly liked the shade the kid gave Murray after saying "We beat the Eagles!"

Also, she's right. Bacon is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One last time for Corvus before the season kicks off! :D

cda92b753c504402755ba07c35a8d567.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    One last time for Corvus before the season kicks off! :D

At first when I read Paully's post I was like....

80214_bradycry1.jpg

but then I realised it's only 1 day to go....

uI4W1Jq.gif

ESPN edited Mike Reiss' rebuttal of the OTL report: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/09/espn-gives-tighter-edit-to-column-criticizing-espns-patriots-opus/

Pretty much tells you how much ESPN care about a fair story.

Also not to flog a dead horse but the OTL report came out on Tuesday with a shock headlines and dominated US sports media for the day but it had completed lost its heat in the media by Wednesday after people got a chance to see it for what it was, no new information, massive assumptions, all story's were from unnamed sources' rumors, complete garbage with no substance basically.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I certainly wouldn't call "complete garbage with no substance".

That to me is a huge leap. There is a key difference between unnamed sources and rumors too. Comes down to if you believe all this stuff is made up or comes down to jealousy or whatever. I guess you can choose to beleive that if you wish but to me there is a fiar amount of substance there.

That to me is a huge leap. There is a key difference between unnamed sources and rumors too. Comes down to if you believe all this stuff is made up or comes down to jealousy or whatever. I guess you can choose to beleive that if you wish but to me there is a fiar amount of substance there.

ESPN's unnamed sources said that 11 of the 12 footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game were under-inflated by two pounds of pressure per square inch.

We know that to be a complete lie and has never been corrected by ESPN. ESPN's unnamed sources are not trustworthy at all.

Jealously? Don't know where you're getting that line from.

Anyway i digress, the story is basically dead right now and we're not going to agree so why drag it out further here. Time to move onto Football.

Google have a Doodle today for the start of the NFL season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

From the ESPN article....
    (Ernie) Adams' title was football research director, the only known person with that title in the NFL. He had made a fortune in the stock market in the 1980s, and the joke was that the only person in the building richer than Adams was Kraft.

So, you can imagine my surprise when watching Hard Knocks last night.....

361856.jpg

• Advertisement

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2525119-andrew-luck-the-casual-confident-comfortable-new-face-of-the-nfl

Interesting article about Andrew Luck, his upbringing in Europe watching Kurt Warner in the NFLE, and the strange connections between the Luck and Manning families over two generations:

"Archie [Manning] would head to the football facility, while Oliver [Luck, his back-up at the Houston Oilers] chaperoned Cooper and Peyton Manning around town, stuffing them into his Mazda RX-7 and taking them to get ice cream, grab a hamburger or play miniature golf. The car was only a two-seater, so it was usually the younger Manning—six-year-old Peyton—who crouched in the hatchback.

Oliver, the father of the 2015 preseason MVP favorite, never could have fathomed he was toting around the child who would one day become the Colts' starting quarterback—and the man his own unborn son would replace as the starter in 2012."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2525119-andrew-luck-the-casual-confident-comfortable-new-face-of-the-nfl

Interesting article about Andrew Luck, his upbringing in Europe watching Kurt Warner in the NFLE, and the strange connections between the Luck and Manning families over two generations:

"Archie [Manning] would head to the football facility, while Oliver [Luck, his back-up at the Houston Oilers] chaperoned Cooper and Peyton Manning around town, stuffing them into his Mazda RX-7 and taking them to get ice cream, grab a hamburger or play miniature golf. The car was only a two-seater, so it was usually the younger Manning—six-year-old Peyton—who crouched in the hatchback.

Oliver, the father of the 2015 preseason MVP favorite, never could have fathomed he was toting around the child who would one day become the Colts' starting quarterback—and the man his own unborn son would replace as the starter in 2012."
    Andrew Luck is THE man. A consummate professional, a qualified architect, all round nice guy. If he doesn't winner a suerbowl. That will be criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

But it is full of unsubstantiated garbage. After the repeated lies and misinformation over Pretty Stupid InvestigationGate. ESPN have as about as much credibility as a Paedophile would have talking about child protection. There was nothing new in their latest spamming, but I can understand how those who haven't had their fingers on the pulse since 2007, might have mistakenly thought otherwise.

One of the few very well respected Journalists working for ESPN - Mike Reiss had his article censored by ESPN the other day, after he corrected and clarified their earlier release. They left in his exposure of the SI article, but conveniently removed his exposure of ESPN's claims. Two weeks ago before judge Berman ruled, ESPN released a misleading pro-NFL tweet about psigate using Mike's tweeter handle.

They claimed Brady was willing to accept a ban, it was complete nonsense of course and Mike Reiss had to come on twitter himself stating that he never authorised or made that tweet by ESPN. They are nothing but duplicitous scumbags and I'd imagine a decent journalist like Reiss won't remain with them for long. If you go to the ESPN website it takes some digging to find their erroneous and inaccurate reports page. Their are 9 erroneous reports on that page for all of world sport, 3 of the misleading stories involve the Pats. Sorry I don't have a link because I was looking at it two weeks ago but you should find it under corrections.

ESPN have been have been following their paymasters (NFL)agenda for some time now. The are the **** stirring & leakers of choice for the NFL front office, a front office still choking on that bad beating dished from Judge Berman. Goody is now talking about stepping away from the disciplinary process, something that he refused to do back in May and something which could have saved the muppet from some embarrassment. But until we have a changing of the guard in the NFL front office, I expect ESPN will remain the trolls of choice for the NFL for the foreseeable future.

Do you think Bill Simmons will do his mailbag this season? I really enjoy that MMQB!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Do you think Bill Simmons will do his mailbag this season? I really enjoy that MMQB!

He's back October 1st.

Don't think there's any knowledge of what's coming outside of him having a show and a podcast. Be a shame if none of the Grantland guys could contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Rodgers is at $22m a year, I know I Eli is a bad word on here, but he compares with the other two he was drafted with, Roethlisberger who got $21.8m and Rivers at $20.8m, so he'll likely be around the $21m anyway
    Looks like this contract is gonna come in right on the $21m figure

Eli Manning, Giants finalizing 4-year, $84M extension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ADzjnmK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The Raiders have signed former 49ers DE/LB Aldon Smith on a one year deal. Smith apparently chose the Raiders over the Jaguars, Bucs and Rams.

The signing is a departure for the Raiders under Reggie McKenzie, who has up until now, opted for high character players without any legal problems. However, they have plenty of cap space and as such it represents a relatively low risk, so long as it doesn't affect the locker-room chemistry. Smith is only 25 and if he can turn the clock back, then he could form a very effective pass rushing duo opposite Khalil Mack.

Disappointed at this, I was hoping Smith would take some time out, sort his life out, realise whats important and then get back to being the football player he can be.

I just don't see evidence of that getting straight back into it with the Raiders. I hope I'm wrong but I dont think this will end well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement