Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Depressing fact for Charger fans, the team has been leading with two minutes to go in each game this year and are 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Depressing for the coach i'd say. Bullet surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

OAOB wrote:
    Depressing fact for Charger fans, the team has been leading with two minutes to go in each game this year and are 1-3.

Also the fact that of the 32 players from the AFC West on IR, 18 are Chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

2/3's through the League of Denial book. Basically it's about the history of concussion in the NFL and the controversy surrounding it. Great book, only started reading it yesterday and I've taken in over 280 pages.

Definitely recommend it to anyone with any interest in American Football or general health

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Also the fact that of the 32 players from the AFC West on IR, 18 are Chargers.

Is that a product of bad luck I wonder, or poor coaching/conditioning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whatever about the IR situation, clock management and defensive strategy that late in the game have to be big issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

It's terrible coaching that is costing the Chargers games and it's been an ongoing problem since McCoy arrived. If they get a two score lead they just stop being aggressive and try to protect the lead, it never works and yet they still persevere with this strategy.

There is a huge number of players on IR with ACL and achilles tears, i don't know if that can be blamed on conditioning or poor stretching or bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nice to see he's got a sense of humour anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nice to see he's got a sense of humour anyway.
    He's also been in maybe the best NFL-themed ad I've ever seen. :D

Must be from good stock, because him and his brother (despite a great half season at Chicago) are not very good QBs. Decent backups but that's about it... yet both have consistently had NFL roster spots for 15 and 12 years respectively, and backup QBs are about much, much more than their actual playing abilities by many accounts. They both seem likeable guys, and I'm always happy for those types that can squeeze a good, long NFL career out of what else they can offer, even if they're not the most talented or close to it. Good on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Kaepernick moved up to 49ers starter QB for the game against the Bills this weekend.

Given how poor Gabbert has been for long stretches and how little they can do with their terrible receiver depth this move was coming.

I'm starting to believe that Jerry Jones does things more to keep himself in the news than for the betterment of his franchise.

That is the only way to explain him coming out saying that Romo has the starting job when he gets fit. It's an insane statement to make even if you actually intend for that to be the case. There is a real possibility that this could unsettle Dak Prescott and he might not play to the level he has been at. The guy has been superb and is my favourite at this moment in time for Offensive Rookie of the season just ahead of his teammate.

Prescott has been superb and his leadership and composure is spreading to his teammates. They believe in him and they believe more in themselves I think too. I've been awfully impressed by him anyways and I don't think I'm the only one.

If Romo comes back and they drop Prescott then I hope they get what they deserve which is to look like fools.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Kaepernick moved up to 49ers starter QB for the game against the Bills this weekend.

Given how poor Gabbert has been for long stretches and how little they can do with their terrible receiver depth this move was coming.
    You see what I did right there, goes hand in hand. Imo it's not the QB that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    He has never really been given an opportunity with a decent WR corp and offensive line.

At the Jags he had one of the worst offensive lines ever and was getting sacked so often it's a wonder he actually stayed healthy for the full season. The second year wasn't much different there.

He goes to the 49ers and got an opportunity for the second half of last season and did quite well. They then lose Boldin who was their only decent WR and leave him with an awful cast of receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Gabbert has a nasty habit of throwing the ball where his receivers are not every now and then. Terrible overthrows against the Cardinals really stand out. You can't blow those opportunities with overthrows at this level.

As much as it isnt all Gabbert, it isn't all the WRs either. They're bad, he's bad, the 49ers are bad.

I see the Browns have cut Charlie whitehurst and elevated Kevin hogan. I've no idea about Kevin hogan but clearly the Browns think he's worth keeping over whitehurst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Well Cody Kessler must be more than 50% to say they left him go. I mean even the Browns aren't that reckless. Josh mccown I've no idea.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You see what I did right there, goes hand in hand. Imo it's not the QB that is the problem.

The problem is that when the WRs do get open downfield Gabbert is missing them. When these opportunities are coming so rarely you can consistently be wasteful. It’s definitely not all Gabbert’s fault (hence why I mentioned them in my OP) but seeing as they can’t magic up WR depth the only option is to change the QB and hope he hits his targets downfield on a more regular basis.

Gabbert has a nasty habit of throwing the ball where his receivers are not every now and then. Terrible overthrows against the Cardinals really stand out. You can't blow those opportunities with overthrows at this level.

As much as it isnt all Gabbert, it isn't all the WRs either. They're bad, he's bad, the 49ers are bad.
    How many drops by the 49ers receivers this season? I don't have the figure but it's pretty high from what I've seen of them.

If they have a normal amount of drops then the couple of innacurate throws never even get discussed. Tom Brady sometimes overthrows his receivers. Now I'm not saying that Gabbert is at Brady's level by any stretch but he isn't that bad from what I seen of him last season.

Get him some decent receivers and things get a whole lot better very quickly imo.

What is Kaepernick going to do that Gabbert hasn't? He is not as accurate, he doesn't read the field as well and basically the only thing he can do is elongate a play and run a bit better then Gabbert. Lengthening the amount of time on the play is going to do sfa when you have a bad group of receivers.

If they go to a spread option it might work out for a couple of games but, as we've seen many times in the NFL, teams wise up to that pretty quickly and shut it down.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see the Browns have cut Charlie whitehurst and elevated Kevin hogan. I've no idea about Kevin hogan but clearly the Browns think he's worth keeping over whitehurst.

Well done Browns, well done. Just when the law of averages stated you had to be due some good luck... you go and sacrifice Jesus.

Well f***ing done.

Again, it's not all him, but it's all not all the WRs either. How many of those balls were downright uncatchable.

He's been bad enough for Kelly to bench him for wk 6. He doesn't check down through his options, he underthrows, he overthrows and he does all of those things way more often than most QBs. Benching him may not affect their season that much but he is clearly not operating at the expected level.

How many drops by the 49ers receivers this season? I don't have the figure but it's pretty high from what I've seen of them.
    Eight total for the team, according to this - http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

If they have a normal amount of drops then the couple of innacurate throws never even get discussed. Tom Brady sometimes overthrows his receivers. Now I'm not saying that Gabbert is at Brady's level by any stretch but he isn't that bad from what I seen of him last season.

Get him some decent receivers and things get a whole lot better very quickly imo.

What is Kaepernick going to do that Gabbert hasn't? He is not as accurate, he doesn't read the field as well and basically the only thing he can do is elongate a play and run a bit better then Gabbert. Lengthening the amount of time on the play is going to do sfa when you have a bad group of receivers.

If they go to a spread option it might work out for a couple of games but, as we've seen many times in the NFL, teams wise up to that pretty quickly and shut it down.

Watch the first half of the Cards game....that is all.

• Advertisement

For my sins I’ve watched all of their games this season and was actually at Levis last Thursday (those ‘we want Kap’ chants were loud for a stadium that was 2/3 full). You mentioned the loss of Boldin but it’s no surprise that his new favorite WR is one who does most of his work on short plays. Opposition are giving him no respect deep now, a great example being that this season, before Thursday night, Mathieu line up 34% of the time within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and on Thursday he lined up within 10 yards 100% of the time. This hurts the 49ers strongest asset, Hyde.

It would be very difficult for Kaepernick to be worse than Gabbert has been deep, his issue will be more likely be improving his short passing accuracy, which is vital to Kelly’s offense.

It’s clear the 49ers are going to lose a lot more games this season. Gabbert has had 5 games and only showed flashes of being competent and at some stage the 49ers have to give a similar chance to their former starting QB that is on a big contract. He was given time to learn Kelly’s system after missing the OTAs and a good chunk of camp. They need to assess if he could be the answer or if they should draft a QB early in the draft. The main concern is Kap’s contract getting guaranteed if he gets a bad injury but there was a lot of talk last week about restructuring it to take away that block so it wouldn’t surprise me if this was sorted out before the weekend.

They really have very little to lose and there’s pretty much nothing else they can change on offense at this point to get better results. Why not give it a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That is the only way to explain him coming out saying that Romo has the starting job when he gets fit. It's an insane statement to make even if you actually intend for that to be the case. There is a real possibility that this could unsettle Dak Prescott and he might not play to the level he has been at. The guy has been superb and is my favourite at this moment in time for Offensive Rookie of the season just ahead of his teammate.

I think it takes pressure off him by saying he's not the starter when Romo is back. Prescott said himself after a couple of weeks that he's only holding the place of Romo until he is back, that he's a rookie and is only starting his career. If he makes him starter and Romo is fit, every move he makes is under the microscope and every error he makes will be questioned 'would Romo have done better'. Becomes a much more different scenario for Prescott then.

Romo will be back, but it would be a surprise to see him finish the season. I'll be wincing every time he takes a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Is there an NFL betting thread for this season?

Went back a couple of pages and only came across a thread for last season.

Paladonia wrote: »
    Is there an NFL betting thread for this season?

Went back a couple of pages and only came across a thread for last season.

Didn't have the cash to myself, but a friend had the bucs at -5.5, I think it was. Was very tempted to take but a -4.5 and under 40.5 total points at 10/3, nothing huge but maybe 30 or so. Yeah I know, after timing, but still... Boo-urns!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Good to see Hardy is putting his talents to good use. All that domestic violence comes out as good preparation for MMA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/11/13241372/former-dallas-cowboy-greg-hardy-transitioning-to-mma-preparing-for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Good to see Hardy is putting his talents to good use. All that domestic violence comes out as good preparation for MMA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/11/13241372/former-dallas-cowboy-greg-hardy-transitioning-to-mma-preparing-for

He's going to get a shock when he realises its grown men he's going to be fighting and not women half his size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He's going to get a shock when he realises its grown men he's going to be fighting and not women half his size.

Well the domestic violence arrest rate for MMA fighters is twice that of the general population, so he'll fit right in there (the rate for NFL players is considerably below the general population, incidentally).

The sad thing is there will be a big audience for his first fight because a lot of people want to see him getting the crap beaten out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd say given half a chance, the likes of Ronda Rousey or Miesha Tate would loved to show him what it's like when a woman hits back.

I'd say given half a chance, the likes of Ronda Rousey or Miesha Tate would loved to show him what it's like when a woman hits back.

Ehh he'd probably beat both of them with any bit of stand up training to be honest to big a size difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He would smash them easily ffs

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For my sins I’ve watched all of their games this season and was actually at Levis last Thursday (those ‘we want Kap’ chants were loud for a stadium that was 2/3 full). You mentioned the loss of Boldin but it’s no surprise that his new favorite WR is one who does most of his work on short plays. Opposition are giving him no respect deep now, a great example being that this season, before Thursday night, Mathieu line up 34% of the time within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and on Thursday he lined up within 10 yards 100% of the time. This hurts the 49ers strongest asset, Hyde.

It would be very difficult for Kaepernick to be worse than Gabbert has been deep, his issue will be more likely be improving his short passing accuracy, which is vital to Kelly’s offense.

It’s clear the 49ers are going to lose a lot more games this season. Gabbert has had 5 games and only showed flashes of being competent and at some stage the 49ers have to give a similar chance to their former starting QB that is on a big contract. He was given time to learn Kelly’s system after missing the OTAs and a good chunk of camp. They need to assess if he could be the answer or if they should draft a QB early in the draft. The main concern is Kap’s contract getting guaranteed if he gets a bad injury but there was a lot of talk last week about restructuring it to take away that block so it wouldn’t surprise me if this was sorted out before the weekend.

They really have very little to lose and there’s pretty much nothing else they can change on offense at this point to get better results. Why not give it a try?

Kap restructures deal today so he's a free agent at the end of the season but gives up all his injury guarantees.

Probably makes sense for all parties

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000720072/article/colin-kaepernick-inks-restructured-deal-with-49ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He would smash them easily ffs

I've practiced several Martial Arts for over 21 years and I can assure anybody, a well trained female practitioner would quickly incapacitate any sized man through any number of pressure point strikes. And if she is skilled enough? She may target a select area of the human body, that can prove fatal and such areas only require one strike. With their fighting skills, Rousey or Tate would have Hardy on the ground within the blink of an eye and probably break his neck before you could push out fart. My previous post was about women who would love to hit back and if they wished it, one strike from Rousey or Tate on an untrained chicken shít like Hardy, could easily prove fatal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I've practiced several Martial Arts for over 21 years and I can assure anybody, a well trained female practitioner would quickly incapacitate any sized man through any number of pressure point strikes. And if she is skilled enough? She may target a select area of the human body, that can prove fatal and such areas only require one strike. With their fighting skills, Rousey or Tate would have Hardy on the ground within the blink of an eye and probably break his neck before you could push out fart. My previous post was about women who would love to hit back and if they wished it, one strike from Rousey or Tate on an untrained chicken shít like Hardy, could easily prove fatal.

He is 6ft 5 and 280 lbs. That's a monster of a man, your one strike better be fatal because if it isn't and he gets his hands on you he will break you in half.

• Advertisement

Cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cringe

Who would win in a fight, mighty mouse or superman?

Who would win in a fight, mighty mouse or superman?

My da would beat both of em!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

this argument comes up in the MMA/boxing forums all the time

Who would win between Katie Taylor and an enormous dude in a boxing match where dude is untrained. Katie

In a street brawl well, things become different

Frankly a NFL sized individual with that much power, while he's not going to be precise in his attacks i think could just over power her and ground and pound her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

this argument comes up in the MMA/boxing forums all the time

Who would win between Katie Taylor and an enormous dude in a boxing match where dude is untrained. Katie

In a street brawl well, things become different

Frankly a NFL sized individual with that much power, while he's not going to be precise in his attacks i think could just over power her and ground and pound her

100% agree on that. He's just too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I hate the whole women taking on men argument. If Hardy took on Rousey he would win. Why do you think MMA will never let a woman take on a man. It wont end well. Look at Fallon Fox didn't she win every fight bar 1 and she was in the same weight range as the females she was fighting. Now take Rousey and Hardy. Rousey is what 140-150 pounds and Hardy is give or take 270-280 pounds. Rousey would probably get in some solid punches and give Hardy a hard time at the start but if Hardy lands a few punches its lights out for Rousey.

And before anyone gets PC on me Rousey has the ability to beat up many men but these men are not 280 pound ex NFL players who are built like trucks.

I'm not a huge fan of Deadspin/Drew Magary (he of "why your team sucks" fame)....but I like this list of things the NFL should consider. Except for the last one...tries to hard to be funny. Yeah, yeah Pagano sucks.
    1. Stop suspending everyone.
    2. Enforce late hits and head shots more consistently.
    3. Let guys wear cool shoes if they want to, for God s sake.
    4. Get rid of the ticky-tack end zone celebration penalties.
    5. Get rid of pads and helmets.
    6. Stop trying to suppress cool gifs and videos on social media.
    7. Fire Chuck Pagano.

Seriously, just get the players on the pitch. If a team is guilty of something, fine the owner, a lot. Lot of stupid suspensions for not a lot recently. I also hate this new sportsmanlike conduct bull****. Let them talk trash, let them act up...it's part of the spectacle. Let's stop pretending the game is played by Sunday school teachers.

I'd love to see a game without pads, just to see how it went. Rugby style tackling is being discussed by the more serious coaches. I think the trenches up front would be drastically different, not sure it might not get bogged down and become slow but I'd love to see a game, with talented players, without the helmets at least.

Gifs and whatnot, I don't really care, but yeah, why is the NFL involved at all. Let it go. It's part of fan culture in other sports.

Pagano, nice one Magary. Trying to hard as ever. Let scratch that comment and include "let a catch be a catch" ...common sense rules. None of the this becoming a runner nonsense. The rule is as below. Surely a&b are sufficient. Is a guy catching a ball on the sideline, dinking his toes down now "becoming a runner" ...madness.

[font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and[/font]
    [font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](c) maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has [font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the ball long enough to[/font] clearly become a runner.[font=proxima-nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps[/font] (see 3-2-7-Item 2).[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I used to do mma, and know, a guy his size would kill her. Also stop witht he fatal strike bull****

I used to do mma, and know, a guy his size would kill her. Also stop witht he fatal strike bull****

Just on that if it was a legitimate street fight and not MMA then someone well trained in martial Arts could probably kill a guy his size but in a ring in a fight with rules .. well as loads have said already he's too big and probably too thick to be beaten.

• Advertisement

I never did MMA but did a training camp with a few guys that had done it. I was very agile at the time and they told me that I would be really good at it if I was interested.

I took out three of them one day, it was just horse play but they didn't like losing. Then another day one of them jumped me from behind and got me on the ground and he locked me up pretty easily.

My take is that the bigger man has a great chance standing up, I was bigger than all of them and very agile, but when it goes to the ground it's all about training and experience.

I totally agree that he would destroy any of the women as long as it didn't go to the ground because even with his size advantage they would have a great shot at beating him I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement