Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd just like him to get a big, aggressive striker. Not someone technical who would male a show of him and get a submission, stoppage of points victory. Someone who owned cave hsi face into the back of his skull. I would prefer to see him hospitalised and in need of very serious, very intensive, emergency medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MMA Forum is that way
    >

SantryRed wrote: »
    MMA Forum is that way
    >

And the thread for random stories about the nfl and its players and past players is right here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Guys, relax. This is getting pretty heated, hopefully it doesn't come to blows. Or as i now like to call them, fatal strikes to a number of pressure points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Would a layman like myself have the ability to deliver a fatal blow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

glued wrote: »

Of course.. but the odds are much less.

When i was in college, I watched out ninjustsu instructor (tiny guy) incapacitate 3 bouncers in a few seconds.

I could have tried all night to do the same and i may have got lucky.. once..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Those of us who have NFL gamepass should check out the timeline episode with peyton manning. It is fascinating stuff and shows how peyton is a student on the game.

And whether youre a peyton fan or not. It's amazing to see how peytons mind works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Interesting read about the transition from Favre to Rodgers - excerpt from upccoming biography of Brett Favre by Jeff Pearlman's book "Gunslinger"
    Packers fans might have heard a few of these stories, but I certainly had not....eye opening stuff if true.

poldebruin wrote:
    - excerpt from upccoming biography of Brett Favre by Jeff Pearlman's book "Gunslinger" Packers fans might have heard a few of these stories, but I certainly had not....eye opening stuff if true.

Really looking forward to this book. Going to be a must have for football fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

glued wrote: »

Yeah thats how people die on nights out, flsh kos and boys heads bouncing off the street, kerb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

poldebruin wrote: »
    Interesting read about the transition from Favre to Rodgers - excerpt from upccoming biography of Brett Favre by Jeff Pearlman's book "Gunslinger"
    Packers fans might have heard a few of these stories, but I certainly had not....eye opening stuff if true.

That was really interesting, thanks for posting.

Both Favre and Rodgers come off terrible from that excerpt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    That was really interesting, thanks for posting.

Both Favre and Rodgers come off terrible from that excerpt.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer & George Bush dont hit it off!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Quentin Groves (linebacker) has died aged 32 of a heart attack.
    His issue was discovered during the combine.

Played for the Jags, Texans and Titans and a few other teams

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Horrible news that former Jets DL Dennis Byrd died in a car crash last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

paulie21 wrote: »
    Horrible news that former Jets DL Dennis Byrd died in a car crash last night

Such sad news. Despite his horrendous injuries he remained an integral part of the Jets organization. I remember one story where he came in to give the Jets a rallying cry before their playoff match against the Pats and Braylon Edwards said that "With God as my witness I have never been more prepared to play" he proceeded to get a TD by carrying what looked like the entire Pats secondary into the endzone. Bart Scott also said that after that speech there was no way they could lose that game.

RIP #90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

this argument comes up in the MMA/boxing forums all the time

Who would win between Katie Taylor and an enormous dude in a boxing match where dude is untrained. Katie

In a street brawl well, things become different

Frankly a NFL sized individual with that much power, while he's not going to be precise in his attacks i think could just over power her and ground and pound her

Not sure I'd agree with that. In the very early days of UFC there was no weight divisions and Royce Gracia was easily able to handle people far bigger and stronger than him. I'm not MMA expert but I'd have thought a well trained BJJ person vs a random really big guy off the street would be far happier with the match going to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Relatively early days but it looks like questions may start being asked of what looked like 3 of the colder seats in the NFL at the beginning of the season, all in the AFC North.

Bengals are 2-4 and obviously haven't won a playoff game in Marvin Lewis' 13 years despite getting to the dance for the last 5 seasons.

Ravens are 3-3, on a 3 game losing streak and are coming off a 5-11 season last year and the injuries are racking up once again. If they were to fail to make the playoffs this season, it'd be the 3rd time in 4 seasons since the Super Bowl win in 2012.

Steelers are 4-2 to be fair but do play New England next week so will more than likely be 4-3. Even still, they've done relatively little of note in the playoffs since losing the Super Bowl 6 years ago for a team of their standard. They are however 2nd favourites for the AFC and the Super Bowl so anything but a trip to the Championship game may cause the Steelers to look at a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Habaugh is easily one of my favourite coaches in the NFL. Would be shocked if Ravens sacked him. I'd take him in NY in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I see the Seattle d are still exempt from pass interference rules.

Augme wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree with that. In the very early days of UFC there was no weight divisions and Royce Gracia was easily able to handle people far bigger and stronger than him. I'm not MMA expert but I'd have thought a well trained BJJ person vs a random really big guy off the street would be far happier with the match going to the ground.

He's not a random big guy off the street, he is a monsterous pro athlete from another tough sport.

I see the Seattle d are still exempt from pass interference rules.
    It's Seattle, rules don't apply to them and haven't for quite some time.

I'm also going to make an early prediction that GB is going to have a major staffing overhaul this offseason, all the way up to McCarthy and possibly even Ted Thompson.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's Seattle, rules don't apply to them and haven't for quite some time.

I'm also going to make an early prediction that GB is going to have a major staffing overhaul this offseason, all the way up to McCarthy and possibly even Ted Thompson.

If Dom Capers isn't fired the second the season is over or before McCarthy has to go also as he's let him coast too long

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Paully D wrote: »
    Steelers are 4-2 to be fair but do play New England next week so will more than likely be 4-3. Even still, they've done relatively little of note in the playoffs since losing the Super Bowl 6 years ago for a team of their standard. They are however 2nd favourites for the AFC and the Super Bowl so anything but a trip to the Championship game may cause the Steelers to look at a change.

Not so much now, Roethlisberger has a meniscus tear and surgery Monday morning.

So Landry Jones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

dfx- wrote: »
    Not so much now, Roethlisberger has a meniscus tear and surgery Monday morning.

So Landry Jones...

It baffles me how the steelers haven't addressed their back up qb situation. Landry Jones is one of the worst qb's in football and its not like ben is the pillar of health every season.

Almost Mettenberger time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Almost Mettenberger time

Be interested to see what he could do with Bell, Coates and Brown. He has the arm and the legs to be a tough play. Pity it will most likely be against the Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Loudmouth bears fan is a loudmouth.... predictably gets beaten up.

https://twitter.com/DavidSharp_11/status/787767956935704576

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I liked it the posts in the comments section calling out the guy recording it.

Not to defend him, he seems like a drunken clown and there's never a shortage of them, but he's clearly responding to some taunting by the Jags fans (the video wasn't being recorded for no reason, clearly something was going on earlier). Also once the fight starts there is a guy behind him who has snuck round while the other one confronts him, who then grabs him. Scumbaggery is not in short supply in that video, but I don't think he has an exclusive claim on it there.

Also, I wonder if Ronda Rousey would win in a fight against all four of them?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/10/16/rain-floods-oakland-coliseum-on-raider-game-day/

I mentioned this in the week 6 thread and I know there was bad weather in the area but rain water(hopefully that's all it is) shouldn't be pouring into indoor areas of a football stadium in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/10/16/rain-floods-oakland-coliseum-on-raider-game-day/

I mentioned this in the week 6 thread and I know there was bad weather in the area but rain water(hopefully that's all it is) shouldn't be pouring into indoor areas of a football stadium in 2016.

There's been sewage issues in the past too..!!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/9393784/sewage-problem-puts-oakland-seattle-mariners-same-locker-room

I can't the only one who saw bad news about a stadium, San Francisco in the URL, and immediately jumped to a wrong conclusion!? :p

Also, WTF is a Jigwire?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gufc21 wrote: »
    It baffles me how the steelers haven't addressed their back up qb situation. Landry Jones is one of the worst qb's in football and its not like ben is the pillar of health every season.

He's better than Mike Vick, but he'll almost certainly get the nod. He has almost no connection at all with Brown though so that is a double loss from Ben. In the games Jones played last year, Brown may as well have been sitting at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I used to do mma, and know, a guy his size would kill her. Also stop witht he fatal strike bull****

Sorry but I don't believe you. An experienced martial artist would easily see the point I was making, rather than posting your illogical commentary. The main target of any properly trained martial artist is to target The Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) of the human body. No human being on this earth can prevent the disabling and potentially lethal effects, that will quickly follow when a trained martial artist targets The Autonomic Nervous System via key pressure points/musculoskeletal points on the human body.

And yes there are key strike points on the human body that can prove fatal if struck in a certain way by a well trained martial artist. Now such techniques wouldn't be taught to someone who just walked in off the street. And my first Sifu only taught such lethal techniques when you reached Brown belt and had several years of dedicated training under your belt. When targeted by a trained practitioner, these areas will incapacitate any human being regardless of how big or small they are. And any martial artists worth their salt, will be trained to strike several pressure points in quick succession. And believe me, when this happens, you are incapacitated/fúcked and are totally vulnerable to whatever follow up strike they chose.

The principle is based upon sensory overload & quickly overloading the pain receptors in the brain, through key rapid strikes which allow you to exit the confrontation or finish your attacker off. So unfortunately for Hardy, no amount of PED's or steroids can prevent the subconscious response of The Autonomic Nervous System from kicking in and disabling him. So if you don't believe that a well trained female Martial Artists can shatter a man's patella or collapse a trachea with an appropriate strike. Then despite your claim, I will have to suspect that you have no experience of martial arts, or of training with female fighters, otherwise you wouldn't have posted what you have posted so far.

When a trained martial artist strikes or compresses a pressure point on your body, the following physiological/ANS response will happen to every Human Being..

You will experience a stunning effect/sensation.
    You will experience extreme pain.
    You will experience sudden motor dysfunction.
    You will experience a reflex response example -(you may collapse to the ground/ loss of balance depending on the pressure point struck)
    You will experience disorientation and possible loss of consciousness.

Now if you want to keep denying this physiological fact, then I suggest that you should immediately contact the Lancet, because what you claim is actually impossible and would be a medical first. And yes I'm afraid to say it again, but if an untrained, non-martial artist like Hardy is targeted in this way by a trained female martial artist, then he's pretty much fúcked. Sorry for the lengthy post folks, but I just had to reply to someone who has essentially tried to deny the workings of the human body and how The Autonomic Nervous System responds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus Christ.

MMA Forum

Sorry but I don't believe you. An experienced martial artist would easily see the point I was making, rather than posting your illogical commentary. The main target of any properly trained martial artist is to target The Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) of the human body. No human being on this earth can prevent the disabling and potentially lethal effects, that will quickly follow when a trained martial artist targets The Autonomic Nervous System via key pressure points/musculoskeletal points on the human body.

And yes there are key strike points on the human body that can prove fatal if struck in a certain way by a well trained martial artist. Now such techniques wouldn't be taught to someone who just walked in off the street. And my first Sifu only taught such lethal techniques when you reached Brown belt and had several years of dedicated training under your belt. When targeted by a trained practitioner, these areas will incapacitate any human being regardless of how big or small they are. And any martial artists worth their salt, will be trained to strike several pressure points in quick succession. And believe me, when this happens, you are incapacitated/fúcked and are totally vulnerable to whatever follow up strike they chose.

The principle is based upon sensory overload & quickly overloading the pain receptors in the brain, through key rapid strikes which allow you to exit the confrontation or finish your attacker off. So unfortunately for Hardy, no amount of PED's or steroids can prevent the subconscious response of The Autonomic Nervous System from kicking in and disabling him. So if you don't believe that a well trained female Martial Artists can shatter a man's patella or collapse a trachea with an appropriate strike. Then despite your claim, I will have to suspect that you have no experience of martial arts, or of training with female fighters, otherwise you wouldn't have posted what you have posted so far.

When a trained martial artist strikes or compresses a pressure point on your body, the following physiological/ANS response will happen to every Human Being..

You will experience a stunning effect/sensation.
    You will experience extreme pain.
    You will experience sudden motor dysfunction.
    You will experience a reflex response example -(you may collapse to the ground/ loss of balance depending on the pressure point struck)
    You will experience disorientation and possible loss of consciousness.

Now if you want to keep denying this physiological fact, then I suggest that you should immediately contact the Lancet, because what you claim is actually impossible and would be a medical first. And yes I'm afraid to say it again, but if an untrained, non-martial artist like Hardy is targeted in this way by a trained female martial artist, then he's pretty much fúcked. Sorry for the lengthy post folks, but I just had to reply to someone who has essentially tried to deny the workings of the human body and how The Autonomic Nervous System responds.

If Hardy really wanted to inflict pain, he could force Rousey to read that post. My God....

• Advertisement

Rex Kwon Do. Bow to your sensei..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If Hardy really wanted to inflict pain, he could force Rousey to read that post. My God....

My sincere apologies but The response of the Autonomic Nervous System is what it is and believe me, my post was the most summarised way I could explain it.

Even your witty retorts read like they're lifted from Wikipedia!

And so it begins...

Again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Eddie Lacy out for a "number of weeks".

Packers season going down the sh!tter rapidly.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Eddie Lacy out for a "number of weeks".

Packers season going down the sh!tter rapidly.

Is he that big a loss? What's the deal with their rotational backs?

If rodgers could get his **** together all these other problems would be irrelevant. And with the bears up next it's a perfect opportunity to get his mojo back, we excel at making opposing quarterbacks feel great about themselves. And with cutler having the worst sprained thumb in the history of humanity, he doesn't have to worry about the offense scoring and wrecking his big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is he that big a loss? What's the deal with their rotational backs?

Well starks is out too. I dont know who they have as a third rb. They used Montgomery there on sun but after that its some kid from nevada on the practice squad. Hence traded for Davis.

I think he should be ok with the GB playbook though. Lacy hasn't been setting anything alight this season and Davis used to be good spelling Charles. Although anytime he was the feature back he never really shone either, did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

gufc21 wrote: »
    Well starks is out too. I dont know who they have as a third rb. They used Montgomery there on sun but after that its some kid from nevada on the practice squad. Hence traded for Davis.

I think he should be ok with the GB playbook though. Lacy hasn't been setting anything alight this season and Davis used to be good spelling Charles. Although anytime he was the feature back he never really shone either, did he?

No but Davis is a good work horse, he gets the hard yards or at least did for a couple of years. Think this might be a good fit for Green Bay if Rodgers stops being ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No ban for Burfict. That's insane.

No ban for Burfict. That's insane.

For what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement