Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For what?

burfict-goes-low-on-bennett.gif?w=1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

burfict-goes-low-on-bennett.gif?w=1000

Hardly a suspension there, possible fine maybe for a low hit especially given his track record but the pump fake probably gets him off.

I do hate that defenders are now constantly going lo though.

Hardly a suspension there, possible fine maybe for a low hit especially given his track record but the pump fake probably gets him off.

Ah didn't think of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

And this too:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/788157960010825728

Ridiculous on his 2nd game back he is doing extremely questionable behavior again. He should be suspended, as he hasn't learned his lesson, its only a matter of time before his seriously dirty play hurts seriously injures somebody (again).

Marty Bennett was lucky his season wasn't ended there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Hazys wrote: »
    And this too:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/788157960010825728

Ridiculous on his 2nd game back he is doing extremely questionable behavior again. He should be suspended, as he hasn't learned his lesson, its only a matter of time before his seriously dirty play hurts seriously injures somebody (again).

Marty Bennett was lucky his season wasn't ended there.

He is a thug, hadnt seen that one.What a scum bag no wonder he has amassed so many fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

They would argue

A) they don't have a choice due to not being allowed go high

B) players are bigger, need to go low to take them down or risk being bumped off

gufc21 wrote: »
    They would argue

B) players are bigger, need to go low to take them down or risk being bumped off

They can argue all they want, seeing people undercut Julio, Megatron and Gronk is just cowardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Burfict fined $75K for the "stamp" on Blount. Has appealed it.

gufc21 wrote: »
    They would argue

Its a dirty hit, just look at how the smaller DB who has more of a case to go low acts in that gif vs how Burfict acted.

The DB who was travelling faster than Burfict, has eyes on the game and QB and knows the ball is going over his head and slows down.

Burfict just lunges for Bennett's knee.

Saved by the pump fake, so its technically not illegal, but it was most certainly dirty and intentional. The dude is a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Crazy to me that the nfl doesn't kick players out of games for dirty hits etc, compared to rugby or football etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I would be delighted to see someone intentionally end Burfict's career. There are very, very, very few players I would say that about but he is one of them. Likewise for Brandon Meriweather - still without a team and I hope he never finds one. But I would almost prefer if he did, and had someone rip his knee apart on day one of training.

James Harrison for example was quite dirty, but also a monster who could be way too aggressive including after the play. Those two however are completely different - at times, they seem legitimately 100% interested in trying to injure someone with a cheap shot and 0% interested in playing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would be delighted to see someone intentionally end Burfict's career. There are very, very, very few players I would say that about but he is one of them. Likewise for Brandon Meriweather - still without a team and I hope he never finds one. But I would almost prefer if he did, and had someone rip his knee apart on day one of training.

James Harrison for example was quite dirty, but also a monster who could be way too aggressive including after the play. Those two however are completely different - at times, they seem legitimately 100% interested in trying to injure someone with a cheap shot and 0% interested in playing the game.

One of his team mates seems to agree with you :pac:

https://twitter.com/Elise_JesseWLWT/status/788813227287318528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Agree 100% about Burfict, he has consistently been a dirty player throughout his time in the league and no amount of fines will change that. He needs a year long suspension IMO, if they suspend players for smoking some weed in the offseason a couple of times then there is no reason why clearly intentionally dirty play should go unpunished. He's an awful human being and has no place in the game unless he changes.

They can argue all they want, seeing people undercut Julio, Megatron and Gronk is just cowardly.

Can't figure out how to multi quote on phone but im not in anyway defending burfict, he is dirty.

I was refering to you saying defensive players in general going low. How do you expect a player to bring gronk down? Tackle high and and if he ducks you hit him in the head... fine and penalty. If he doesn't duck his head you bounce off of him, yards after contact. Gronk is twice the size as a huge amount of db's, of course you go low. Don't get me wrong, aiming for someones knee cap is disgusting but db's have to tackle low or they haven't a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Even your witty retorts read like they're lifted from Wikipedia!

You really flatter yourself, because with your troublesome track record around here, you're the last person I'd ever want to share any humour wit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

You really flatter yourself, because with your troublesome track record around here, you're the last person I'd ever want to share any humour wit.

Oh for fook sake give it a rest at this point. You think he is a multi accounter and he thinks you are multi accounter. Build a bridge already. Everybody has their opinion on it and most have moved onand could care less. The whole thing is hilarious at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wait, did Corvus change his name or change account? I'm confused :pac:

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Oh for fook sake give it a rest at this point. You think he is a multi accounter and he thinks you are multi accounter. Build a bridge already. Everybody has their opinion on it and most have moved onand could care less. The whole thing is hilarious at best.

No it's not hilarious at all, more sad really. Sad that an honest opinion highlighting some simple physiological facts, gets attacked for no reason other than that the post exceeded several sentences. And it's from the same user, a user who has a history of this behavior, behaviour that almost borders on paranoia and he has been banned repeatedly for same. I'll never apologise to anyone for backing up or elaborating upon an honest opinion. I'm also never going to insult the intelligence of any user here, by using a throwaway comment to make a point or trying to undermine anther's opinion. Scrolling past a post we don't want to read is not a difficult thing to do. JaMarcus was not obligated to read my response to another a poster, but he just couldn't resist an oppourtunity for some provocation. I have never attacked him in this forum and I'm more than willing for some good Football talk with him anytime, he just needs to let go of whatever he's hanging onto and let bygones be bygones.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Wait, did Corvus change his name or change account? I'm confused :pac:

Yes you are clearly confused. What's not confusing is, your involvement with anything involving JaMarcus and attacks on other users, is as suspiciously predictable as the rising sun.

JaMarcus was not obligated to read my response to another a poster, but he just couldn't resist an oppourtunity for some provocation.

Ah come on, that line about if Hardy wanted to inflict pain, he'd force Rousey to read that post...it was a good one.

Don't know what this talk of reregs is, frankly not into the cult of personalities on an anonymous site so don't follow the battles. But sometimes you just gotta put the hands up and laugh it off.

• Advertisement

jaysus you lot are all a little emotional in here today, we all need a hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

kmart6 wrote: »
    Burfict fined $75K for the "stamp" on Blount. Has appealed it.

Appealed it?
    He's clearly seen walking over after the play is done, pushing a teammate out of the way first, and stamping his feet on Blount.

He should get a bigger fine for clearly not learning any lesson from the first fine!

Scrolling past a post we don't want to read is not a difficult thing to do. JaMarcus was not obligated to read my response to another a poster, but he just couldn't resist an oppourtunity for some provocation. .

You would be best taking your own advice at this point if it bothers you that much.

jaysus you lot are all a little emotional in here today, we all need a hug.

Group hug? I like group hugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Got to wonder what is going through his head. So weird seeing him under perform the way he is this season. Watching him play right now he doesn't look as comfortable as he used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Hmm, Rodgers admits he likes footballs above the permitted PSI range. Looks legendary. New controls put in place. Looks average ever since.

Just a coincidence I'm sure :)

Hmm, Rodgers admits he likes footballs above the permitted PSI range. Looks legendary. New controls put in place. Looks average ever since.

How hilarious would that be if that was the actual reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Patww79 wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000723569/mindblowing-stats-aaron-rodgers

Of all these, this one (and currently being worse than Hoyer) stands out.

Worse than hoyer? This one's in the bag!!

Interestingly my autocorrect wanted change hoyer to HOF. I'm just saying, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

http://offthemonstersports.com/2016/10/since-the-nfl-started-caring-about-psi-aaron-rodgers-numbers-have-plummeted-bradys-skyrocketed/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't know what the Giants are waiting for. Cut and move on. The "remain supportive of Josh" comment was not a good idea.

Given the resources available to the NFL, much like the Ray Rice issue, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have done more to unearth additional details and give a more appropriate suspension than 1 game.

Goodell's "Integrity" message falls flat again.

Have they signed a free agent kicker or will the punter take over? Just curious.

Have they signed a free agent kicker or will the punter take over? Just curious.

Robbie Gould

I'm sure OBJ put his name forward for consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Beckham Jnr is actually fantastic at field goals and punting. He is from a soccer background. and a few videos have come out of him taking them in practice. Obviously it is massively different in a game but he appears to have genuinely been an option under consideration until they went with Gould.

As for Rodgers and PSI, that 'coincidence' ignores the fact that he was utterly majestic for the first four weeks of last season, and then good in weeks five and six. It was after that that his play dropped off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Beckham has far too much attention on him as is, to be honest. I'd actually hate to see him as a kicker. More overblown drama.

I'd rather go for two every time, and go for it on 4th down.

Knex. wrote: »
    Beckham has far too much attention on him as is, to be honest. I'd actually hate to see him as a kicker. More overblown drama.

I'd rather go for two every time, and go for it on 4th down.

I was only joking, I doubt he was ever seriously considered.

The media are going to town on the Giants over the Brown issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Mcadoo just came out and said the team will do all they can to support Brown

• Advertisement

Its only NFL news at the moment but when it hits mainstream media, it's going to blow up. There will be racism accusations as how it compares to the Ray Rice situation, it could spiral out of control. They pulled him off the plane last minute to London, they're lucky because that might just save them the sh1tstorm on Sunday.

NFL and Goodell are a disgrace, another massive mismanagement of a punishment. They actually brought in a minimum 6 game suspension for domestic violence since the Ray Rice incident and are yet to use it. Because the NFL refused to suspend Brown for 6 games, he and the NFL will be vilified by the media and no team will touch him as they don't want the circus when he comes back. I'm no fan of Brown but i believe people should be given second chances after they do their time and be given the chance to change but the NFL will end up fcuking him like they did Ray Rice. According to many reports the Ray Rice incident was a once off from him and he has done everything possible to right the wrong but nobody will touch him.

And of all the months for this to happen, this is the month where the NFL loves women so much they dedicated a entire month breast cancer awareness. What if people start second guessing the legitimacy of the NFL's love for women?

On a side note, I'm happy for Robbie Gould that he picked up with someone at long last, he is still one of the best kickers in the league and he was poorly treated by the new Bears management in letting him go. He is a solid character guy, and a great leader in the locker room by all accounts. Hope he goes on now and has a great second chance with the Giants.

Also why don't the Giants just cut Brown right now, yes it's a small cap hit but a Kicker is the most plug and play position in the league. They should save themselves the headache that's coming.

Cut him now instead of letting all the media and distractions build up in the next week where under the media pressure you going to have to cut him anyway?

Also Mara knowing about the incident before offering Brown is 2yr contract is a disgrace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How can they cut him when they knew full well what had happened? Not only would they look like they condone what happened they also look like hypocrites for apparently being ok with the wife beating but not ok with people knowing about the wife beating.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How can they cut him when they knew full well what had happened? Not only would they look like they condone what happened they also look like hypocrites for apparently being ok with the wife beating but not ok with people knowing about the wife beating.

Just like the NFL handled the Ray Rice incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I saw a tweet claiming that the Giants knew at the pro bowl and helped his wife change hotel room. So the Giants and presumably the league knew about this.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well I saw a tweet claiming that the Giants knew at the pro bowl and helped his wife change hotel room. So the Giants and presumably the league knew about this.

I'm a bit confused over the whole thing. At the time they said they did a thorough investigation but now they're saying they didn't have access to all the information. Both can't be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm a bit confused over the whole thing. At the time they said they did a thorough investigation but now they're saying they didn't have access to all the information. Both can't be true.
    Well last night on NFL network on the up to the minute segment Judy Batista was saying that the NFL doesn't have supena power so can't just get people to talk or get information when they want it.

Well last night on NFL network on the up to the minute segment Judy Batista was saying that the NFL doesn't have supena power so can't just get people to talk or get information when they want it.

Yeah, that makes sense. A private enterprise can't have legal powers like that. But then they shouldn't have said they did a thorough investigation. To me, that gives the impression that they did have access to all the information and spoke to all the relevant people.

I suppose everyone's definition of what constitutes a 'thorough' investigation is going to be different.

Yeah, that makes sense. A private enterprise can't have legal powers like that. But then they shouldn't have said they did a thorough investigation. To me, that gives the impression that they did have access to all the information and spoke to all the relevant people.

I suppose everyone's definition of what constitutes a 'thorough' investigation is going to be different.

Didn't they say they did as thorough an investigation as they could, but that the Sheriff's office had refused to hand over information to the league, so they conducted it as best they could without such evidence?

Either way, cutting him now would certainly look identical to the Ray Rice incident, we don't mind as long as it's not public. In fact, given their behaviour thus far, it looks like neither the Giants nor the league have learned a single solitary thing from that debacle. I expect an arbitrary punishment to be dreamt up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mara being one of the main drivers pushing for Brady's suspension. I hope he is rightly pilloried for this deplorable stance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement