Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mara being one of the main drivers pushing for Brady's suspension. I hope he is rightly pilloried for this deplorable stance.

Wasn't he basically trying to crawl up goodells ar5e that time? This would be entirely consistent with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Wasn't he basically trying to crawl up goodells ar5e that time? This would be entirely consistent with that...
    What owner doesn't crawl up there?

The NFL has begun fire-fighting attempts already. Releasing their letter to Brown smacks of trying to show how much they 'care' about the issue. He's just a political pawn for the NFL/Giants at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well in relation to the Mara family. They are NFL royalty along with the Halas family descendants, hunt, and Rooney families.

They hold big sway with the NFL ownership. The rooneys helped get goodell the gig so the old guard of the maras won't be hung out to dry by the league over this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd say the Giants have to try and stick with him. As has been mentioned if they cut him now then it will look like they only care about it because it's in the spotlight. Brown sounds remorseful from his letters and does seem to want to change as well. I think more organisations should attempt to do this rather than just cutting lose and washing their hands of them. Altohugh I don't think the Giants intentions were ever that caring.

Unless domestic abuse results in convictions where they can gauge penalties by sanctions handed down by the Courts, the NFL should really keep its nose out of it. Otherwise they get involved in judging, is one physical incident worse than years of emotional abuse, is a punch worse than 5 pushes etc. It might be a matter where individual teams believe an incident is enough to bring them into disrepute, but the governing body should be very slow to get involved in sanctions before the Courts do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Jeff Fisher has become the 3rd coach to lose 160 games in NFL history. He is now five shy of Dan Reeves for the most in NFL history.

And heading for another 7-9 season, at best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Unless domestic abuse results in convictions where they can gauge penalties by sanctions handed down by the Courts, the NFL should really keep its nose out of it. Otherwise they get involved in judging, is one physical incident worse than years of emotional abuse, is a punch worse than 5 pushes etc. It might be a matter where individual teams believe an incident is enough to bring them into disrepute, but the governing body should be very slow to get involved in sanctions before the Courts do.

I think it's part of the players collective bargaining agreement with league that there is a punishment for it but I do find the criticism of the NFL rather missing the point in general.

The NFL are not the law and order of the USA it's the police and court system who have that job and really they are the ones who have ****ed up because Brown isn't in jail and not the NFL.

There are scumbags working in business all over the world yet it only seems to be a big issue when a scumbag works for a professional sports team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think it's part of the players collective bargaining agreement with league that there is a punishment for it but I do find the criticism of the NFL rather missing the point in general.

The NFL are not the law and order of the USA it's the police and court system who have that job and really they are the ones who have ****ed up because Brown isn't in jail and not the NFL.

There are scumbags working in business all over the world yet it only seems to be a big issue when a scumbag works for a professional sports team.

The NFL decided themselves to be the law and order and moral police, so i have no sympathy for them.

Why the NFL are getting such criticism is because that they come out with such strong anti domestic abuse rhetoric and then in the Brown case they tried to hide and ignore domestic abuse again.

The NFL put in an automatic 6 game suspension for Domestic Violence but didn't use it on Brown, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hazys wrote: »
    The NFL decided themselves to be the law and order and moral police, so i have no sympathy for them.

Why the NFL are getting such criticism is because that they come out with such strong anti domestic abuse rhetoric and then in the Brown case they tried to hide and ignore domestic abuse again.

The NFL put in an automatic 6 game suspension for Domestic Violence but didn't use it on Brown, why?

They were really really stupid to have such a policy.Fair enough if they get criticism for not applying their own rules properly but this sort of stuff should not be part of NFL rules or any sports organisations rules.

It's just all so bizarre, in few other lines of work would an employee be suspended for domestic issues. Now I can fully understand an individual team deciding it goes over the line for them, and it brings them into disrepute, but even at that I would be slow to suggest they should get involved. For a governing body it should just be none of their business. That might change after a conviction, but before that just don't see why they should get involved. Suspect plenty of NFL players are guilty of immoral behaviour.

• Advertisement

It's just all so bizarre, in few other lines of work would an employee be suspended for domestic issues. Now I can fully understand an individual team deciding it goes over the line for them, and it brings them into disrepute, but even at that I would be slow to suggest they should get involved. For a governing body it should just be none of their business. That might change after a conviction, but before that just don't see why they should get involved. Suspect plenty of NFL players are guilty of immoral behaviour.

Well most companies employees aren't under the same spotlight so the NFL probably wanted to be able to get involved in these issues so as to be able to protect their brand whenever these guys were seen to be bringing it into disrepute (which is something that doesn't just affect the team they play for). Not that this makes them correct, it's just probably the rationale behind it. Of course, they have intervened in these sorts of things in such a haphazard, arbitrary way, over and over again, that they end up being open to accusations of bias and hypocrisy on all sorts of issues. The biggest irony is that all of that stuff hurts their precious brand far more seriously than the idea that some of their players might be wife beaters. In fact, the way they responded to things like the Ray Rice incident seem to prove that their only interest all along has been to protect their brand, nothing whatsoever to do with the victims or anything else. So that, ironically, their attempts to protect their brand make them look like utter scumbags...staying out would have been a wiser course of action.

Or if you MUST intervene, do it consistently and clearly, in ways that are responsive to the justice system, not preemptive of it or an attempt to replace it. I think the league has a grossly inflated sense of its own power, which is why they feel entitled in the first place to conduct investigations and hand out verdicts, none of which they are (apparently) remotely competent to do. All part of the hubris that increasingly characterises the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I see Arian Foster announced his retirement overnight. Shame he suffered so many injuries as he was a terrific running back. I know there's a lot of people out there who aren't as sympathetic and feel he may have have brought them on himself with some of his decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I see Arian Foster announced his retirement overnight. Shame he suffered so many injuries as he was a terrific running back. I know there's a lot of people out there who aren't as sympathetic and feel he may have have brought them on himself with some of his decisions.

Does anyone beat you to a story mate..
    Was just logging in to say the same,some stats sheet on him though tbf

Damn, I always really loved that guy, he was a very different voice in a league and a culture that can be quite restricted in many ways. I'll put it this way, he was one of the only NFL players who I actually followed on Twitter. That and he was an exciting player to watch in his prime, shame his career was so blighted with injuries the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Pats sent AJ Derby to the Broncos for a 5th round pick. Pity dude has bags of potential.

Also acquired Kyle Van Noy from the Lions for a 6th round and Pats get a 7th plus Nye

TOss Sweep wrote:
    Also acquired Kyle Van Noy from the Lions for a 6th round and Pats get a 7th plus Nye

Ansah and van noy broken up..
    Van noy brought him through college football and taught him everything
    Sad day for both guys
    Van noy could do well at the pats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Pats sent AJ Derby to the Broncos for a 5th round pick. Pity dude has bags of potential.

Nice business for the NE FO it would seem. Swapping a 2015 6th rounder (who was sitting behind Bennet and Gronk) for a 5th. Not to mention the got Bennett for a 4th?

That said - the Broncos TE has given us nothing so far this year, so hopefully he can be an upgrade at a problem position for us. Hopefully he has a good grasp of the Patriots offense too :)

poldebruin wrote: »
    Nice business for the NE FO it would seem. Swapping a 2015 6th rounder (who was sitting behind Bennet and Gronk) for a 5th. Not to mention the got Bennett for a 4th?

That said - the Broncos TE has given us nothing so far this year, so hopefully he can be an upgrade at a problem position for us. Hopefully he has a good grasp of the Patriots offense too :)

Yeah I have the same line of thinking on the trade smart piece of business. Said it in the Pats thread had we not got Bennet and didn't need the space for Van Noy I think Derby would still be around but the 5th round pick for the guy is a nice way to do business.

I really like Derby I think he just needs to be given a chance in an offense that likes to use TE. I think he will shine in Denver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yeah I have the same line of thinking on the trade smart piece of business. Said it in the Pats thread had we not got Bennet and didn't need the space for Van Noy I think Derby would still be around but the 5th round pick for the guy is a nice way to do business.

I really like Derby I think he just needs to be given a chance in an offense that likes to use TE. I think he will shine in Denver.

Hope you are right and he does well, obviosuly, but I'm not aware of too many trades that BB has come out the wrong side of.

The TE position is supposed to be such a key of Kubiak's system, but we've been burning through them with no success so far (Green, Davis, Heuermann, Daniels) and what we would give to get some production from one. At the moment everything in the passing game goes through Sanders and Thomas with no clear #3 target.

Interesting that they were willing to trade to (what I would assume they would consider) a direct rival for the AFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does anyone else make in-season trades or is it just NE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/ex-seahawk-marshawn-lynch-is-never-far-from-teammates-memories/

Nice piece on what Marshawn Lynch meant to some of his Seahawks teammates. Always was a big fan of his and missing him in the league this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Giants released that kicker. Well that doesn't stink of well now everyone found out time to look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/ex-seahawk-marshawn-lynch-is-never-far-from-teammates-memories/

Nice piece on what Marshawn Lynch meant to some of his Seahawks teammates. Always was a big fan of his and missing him in the league this year.
    That is a nice story and it's great to hear that a player is such a good guy.
    I've a sneaking suspicion that we might see him back in Seattle again if Rawls struggles over the coming weeks. Imagine him coming in week 10 in great shape and not hurting, that would be some man to have down the stretch.
    And going by that story it would be a big bonus to the locker room as well as on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

eagle eye wrote: »
    That is a nice story and it's great to hear that a player is such a good guy.
    I've a sneaking suspicion that we might see him back in Seattle again if Rawls struggles over the coming weeks. Imagine him coming in week 10 in great shape and not hurting, that would be some man to have down the stretch.
    And going by that story it would be a big bonus to the locker room as well as on the field.

I think week 11 would be better ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Marshawn Lynch is pure class. Got a hard time for a couple of years because he wouldnt talk to the press. Get over yourselves. Journalism, a narcissistic profession.

• Advertisement

Marshawn Lynch is pure class. Got a hard time for a couple of years because he wouldnt talk to the press. Get over yourselves. Journalism, a narcissistic profession.

I'm just here so i won't get fined

the best response to journalists ever...

Classy guy

A ridiculous rule came to the fore last night in the Jags/Titans game. It was under 2 minutes left in the half and a ruling was made that Mariota had crossed the line of scrimmage before he threw the ball. They reviewed it and it was clear that he never crossed the line and that it was a complete pass and a first down. All fine so far but...

The official then says that because of the review there is a ten second run off. Like wtf is that about? A bad call is made on the field and it's reviewed and the offense loses ten seconds?

As it turns out the Titans took a timeout to save the ten seconds but it just seems ridiculous to me that there is a runoff due to an error by the officials.

A ridiculous rule came to the fore last night in the Jags/Titans game. It was under 2 minutes left in the half and a ruling was made that Mariota had crossed the line of scrimmage before he threw the ball. They reviewed it and it was clear that he never crossed the line and that it was a complete pass and a first down. All fine so far but...

The official then says that because of the review there is a ten second run off. Like wtf is that about? A bad call is made on the field and it's reviewed and the offense loses ten seconds?

As it turns out the Titans took a timeout to save the ten seconds but it just seems ridiculous to me that there is a runoff due to an error by the officials.

I haven't seen this incident so maybe I'm totally wrong but I'd imagine the thinking is that if the flag wasn't thrown, the clock would have kept running (presuming he didn't go out of bounds?) and if they hadnt run off the 10 seconds, Mariotta would have gotten an advantage as it would have taken longer to get the ball and all the players back to the line of scrimmage and ready for the next play.

EDIT - I'd say even teams in hurry up mode rarely get the play off with the play clock showing more than 30 seconds. Especially on pass plays away from the pocket.

I haven't seen this incident so maybe I'm totally wrong but I'd imagine the thinking is that if the flag wasn't thrown, the clock would have kept running (presuming he didn't go out of bounds?) and if they hadnt run off the 10 seconds, Mariotta would have gotten an advantage as it would have taken longer to get the ball and all the players back to the line of scrimmage and ready for the next play.

EDIT - I'd say even teams in hurry up mode rarely get the play off with the play clock showing more than 30 seconds. Especially on pass plays away from the pocket.
    There are extreme examples which would not go along with what you are saying. Let's say the team completes a pass in the middle of the field eight yards downfield and it's decided that it's incomplete and there is nine seconds left on the clock. The team has no timeouts and so after review the clock winds to zero and the half is over.

Now I'd be pretty confident that a team could get up and spike the ball to stop the clock before the nine seconds runs off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Richard Sherman with another contribution to the player's tribune.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-nfl-celebrations-personal-conduct-policy/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Just watched him on Bear Grylls, he comes across as a generally nice guy and we've seen that from his Conan interviews also.

Yeah sports journalists are the worst. I remember during Super Bowl week where he kept saying "I'm here so that I won't get fined" that the sports journalists kept asking him serious question one after another, thinking they could change his answer, it was pathetic, not one of them could have fun with the situation. They kept trying to get their pointless sound bite of "we're going to play hard as a team on Sunday" or some other BS fans don't care about.

Marshawn Lynch and Sports Journalists are completely different people. Marshawn is a professional athlete from a rough inner city Oakland while Sports Journalists are generally middle class nerds who never really played sport but went to Journalism school. I'm glad the landscape for Sports Journalist is changing drastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Didnt see it but i imagine it is to compensate for the running clock of a completed pass

gufc21 wrote: »
    Didnt see it but i imagine it is to compensate for the running clock of a completed pass
    Ok, so somebody already responded with that thought and I put up a scenario, which is extreme but not uncommon, in replay to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

There are extreme examples which would not go along with what you are saying. Let's say the team completes a pass in the middle of the field eight yards downfield and it's decided that it's incomplete and there is nine seconds left on the clock. The team has no timeouts and so after review the clock winds to zero and the half is over.

Now I'd be pretty confident that a team could get up and spike the ball to stop the clock before the nine seconds runs off.

I don't think there would be a run off for an incomplete pass though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I don't think there would be a run off for an incomplete pass though.

If the officials called an incomplete pass (and the clock stopped when they blew) which was then overturned on review and allowed to stand (i.e. the clock should have kept running), would there then be a 10 second runoff, possibly running the clock out completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

If the officials called an incomplete pass (and the clock stopped when they blew) which was then overturned on review and allowed to stand (i.e. the clock should have kept running), would there then be a 10 second runoff, possibly running the clock out completely?

I don't know being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

The situation is the same. There would still be a run off.

Edit:
    Actually, just thinking about it more, i think in that situation, if there are no time outs the referee can call an extra team timeout. Similar to an injury in the final 2 min of a half. Don't quote me on it but there is that possibility i guess.

So if ten didn't have any time outs left its possible that the ref could have called a team timeout. Not 100% now :(

Isn't the 10 second run off to punish teams for stopping the clock when it shouldn't be stopped? So if it was an incomplete pass, the clock would be stopped anyway so the team would be at no advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Can we talk about Bortles, guys?

I had a stat up before this year's draft that showed that 40% of his total yards and 35% of his total TD's in the NFL have come in the 4th quarter/garbage time with the Jaguars getting blown out which is crazy. He's also 0-9 in games where he throws for over 300 yards.

I said before he got he drafted that his mechanics and his propensity for mind-boggling decision making were huge concerns and 3 years later and he's no closer to sorting either out. IMO he's still making the same errors he made in college.

He has plenty of weapons too. It's not as if he's playing for a franchise that is giving him no chance.

Yet, he never really seems to be questioned all that much by the media or analysts and I've seen him labelled a franchise QB on numerous occasions? To me, his total lack of progression is a massive concern if I'm a Jaguars fan. We are 3 years in now and I just don't see how he takes that leap.

Time for the Jags to move on from Bortles before they get tied into giving him a contract.

Another night of looking poor and then putting up big numbers when his team are blown out last night.

The annoying thing is if people looked at his stat line from this game in isolation you'd say "over 300 yards, 3 TD's and no INT's, perfect". Yet in reality it's another night of him racking up numbers when they are getting blown out.

If there was a garbage time award he would be MVP for sure!

Time for the Jags to move on from Bortles before they get tied into giving him a contract.

Another night of looking poor and then putting up big numbers when his team are blown out last night.

The annoying thing is if people looked at his stat line from this game in isolation you'd say "over 300 yards, 3 TD's and no INT's, perfect". Yet in reality it's another night of him racking up numbers when they are getting blown out.

If there was a garbage time award he would be MVP for sure!
    I actually posted about Bortles in the gameweek thread and imo it's not his fault. The offensive line was awful last night, couldn't open any holes for the RB's and couldn't protect Bortles either. The pocket was completely collapsing too, it's not like he could step around and try and elongate the play, he just had to get out of there before he was nailed.

The reason he has good numbers in garbage time is that teams aren't coming after him as much and playing soft zone with the game won.

The need to sort out that offensive line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He certainly seems to drop the ball a LOT lower than the likes of Derek Carr. He wasn't like this before, he seems to have got sloppy with his mechanics. He worked with Tom House last offseason and he had a really tight release last season as a result. I don't know what he's been doing since but he has regressed a heap. It's the same release Tebow was getting slated for - the ball should never be pointing to the ground that low.

https://twitter.com/GipsySafety/status/790689516063297536

Patww79 wrote: »
    That is not an explanation. Can you go through why you've come to the conclusion that his release is awful?
    He certainly seems to drop the ball a LOT lower than the likes of Derek Carr. He wasn't like this before, he seems to have got sloppy with his mechanics. He worked with Tom House last offseason and he had a really tight release last season as a result. I don't know what he's been doing since but he has regressed a heap. It's the same release Tebow was getting slated for - the ball should never be pointing to the ground that low.

https://twitter.com/GipsySafety/status/790689516063297536
    The windup is elongated for sure but the release isn't bad from what I've seen of him this season.

Patww79 wrote:

A huge wind up before release

The windup is elongated for sure but the release isn't bad from what I've seen of him this season.

That long wind up is horrible mechanics and very few QBs get away with it. What doesn't help Bortles is to add to the long wind up he is throwing it off the side arm. A High % of QBs in the NFL have proper throwing motions and if you notice their elbow it is always pointing up and forward and also as JMH said the ball is pointing up and not down.

Bortles seems to be going backward with his throws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

As a Bortles- owner in Fantasy Football I've noticed this a lot. Should be bottom-third NFL quarterback but constantly puts up big numbers.

• Advertisement

That long wind up is horrible mechanics and very few QBs get away with it. What doesn't help Bortles is to add to the long wind up he is throwing it off the side arm. A High % of QBs in the NFL have proper throwing motions and if you notice their elbow it is always pointing up and forward and also as JMH said the ball is pointing up and not down.

Bortles seems to be going backward with his throws.
    Yeah the elongated throwing motion is horrible for sure and the side arm is worse than even Rivers ever was.

Patww79 was talking about his release which for me that is how the ball comes out of your hands. He has been accurate and gets a good spiral on the ball too and this is why I was asking him to explain what he was talking about.

Also despite these mechanics he gets the job done when he gets time. The Jags OL is horrendous right now and until they can give him some time we really don't know how good/bad he is despite his mechanics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement