Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,403 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Never mind Kaep not being there but I don't see chip Kelly long more fore the NFL. His system has been worked out and the apparent second coming that everyone(myself included) felt he was when he came into the league has lost its appeal.

I mean that Monday night football game against the redskins was a sight to behold.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Never mind Kaep not being there but I don't see chip Kelly long more fore the NFL. His system has been worked out and the apparent second coming that everyone(myself included) felt he was when he came into the league has lost its appeal.

I mean that Monday night football game against the redskins was a sight to behold.

Here's the thing though I haven't been watching the 9ers this year but if you look at his offensive scheme his first year vs his last year in Philly they are compleatly different and it seemed to get worse every year so it's not neccisarily that teams figured it out the scheme itself seemed to get more basic.

Here's the thing though I haven't been watching the 9ers this year but if you look at his offensive scheme his first year vs his last year in Philly they are compleatly different and it seemed to get worse every year so it's not neccisarily that teams figured it out the scheme itself seemed to get more basic.

Ive seen a bit of the 49ers but not much.

Well by the end in Philly they were trying slow it down and that in turn made the team unable to hold on to leads as the tempo messing things up.

I didn't watch the eagles game yesterday live(I got bits on redzone) but I watched it on gamepass once it wasn't blacked out earlier. Wentz is playing like a rookie. Those early picks were brutal. Darren sproles is an ageless wonder. Our WR corp is garbage bar Treggs and the TE burton played well. Not great but not a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The sad thing for SF fans is that the best thing Chip Kelly did on Sunday was to have all his defence deliberately hold the NO receivers with the clock running out at the end of the first half knowing that all they'd be able to do after the penalty was kick a FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The sad thing for SF fans is that the best thing Chip Kelly did on Sunday was to have all his defence deliberately hold the NO receivers with the clock running out at the end of the first half knowing that all they'd be able to do after the penalty was kick a FG.

That was Belichick levels of genius.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

John Harbaugh did something similar in the Superbowl near the end where the ravens were punting but just wanted to take a safety and take as much time off the clock as possible. Ah the memories.

Anyone see the farce last night with the FG attempt at the end of the half? Standard of officiating this season has been terrible, but this is particularly embarrassing.

http://video.nfl.com/films/vodzilla/37290/161107_bp_sea_crazy_halftime_kick-20161107_193053536_5000k.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Firstly I don't know how they decided it was running into the kick when he led into him, it was clearly roughing the kicker and a 15 yard penalty.

Some of the rules are ridiculous, I'm surprised that the 10 second runoff didn't rear it's ugly head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Those refs should be sacked.

1. Roughing the kicker/personal foul on Sherman
    2. Refs kicked Carpenter off the field, even though he got up under his own power and began walking it off
    3. The refs allowed the playclock to run down on the next attempt even though they hadn't yet set the ball

I'm no fan at all of the Bills or Ryan, but they have every right to be p!ssed as hell on that clusterfook of decisions from that crew.

They also should have blown the play dead before Sherman ever got near to the kicker. Terrible on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

It was a crazy play alright.

The precedent that it may set is scary aswel. Jump offside, clatter the kicker (as long as he has touched the ball) and its a 5 yard penalty. Its nuts

Knex. wrote: »
    They also should have blown the play dead before Sherman ever got near to the kicker. Terrible on so many levels.

They changed the rule in football (soccer) this year in that a player no longer has to leave the field if he needs attention from the physio if he was the victim of a foul that results in a yellow card.

Maybe they should do something similar in the NFL in that if the clock has to be stopped to treat an injured player, he doesn't have to miss a play if the play that injured him resulted in a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I must say it was ridiculous, but it added to the drama of a great game.

Jimmy Graham was absolutely brilliant. Great to have him back in the saddle.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    It was a crazy play alright.

The precedent that it may set is scary aswel. Jump offside, clatter the kicker (as long as he has touched the ball) and its a 5 yard penalty. Its nuts
    It shouldn't set a precedent, the officials were wrong. If they considered that it happened after the play then it's unnecessary roughness and still 15 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

hmmmmm this ball seems awfully soft.......

process-1-500x281.png

Are the kicking balls subject to the same inflation rules or is their pressure allowed to be different?

I would have thought a softer ball would be worse to punt with so can't see the advantage in letting out a bit of air in them.

Are the kicking balls subject to the same inflation rules or is their pressure allowed to be different?

I would have thought a softer ball would be worse to punt with so can't see the advantage in letting out a bit of air in them.

Same rule applies and it is odd to see a punter with a soft football as punters/kickers generally prefer the balls the refs have as they are as hard as possible at 13 PSI which is the best PSI for them.

I was throwing it out there as tongue and cheek though.

Okay I looked at the play mostly blind as I knew there was some issue at the end of the first half, so I watched the gamepass full archive version from 1:00 left in the first half.

Sweet suffering baby Jesus what the hell were the refs doing ? I mean I don't blame Rex for being hot about it. Is it something in the stadium in Seattle ? So that play last night and then the fail Mary with the replacement refs.

1. Clearly roughing the kicker. CLEARLY if that isn't roughing the kicker then they need to change the definition.
    2. The kicker went down and the trainer went out onto the field.
    3. Kicker had to go off for a down
    4. Play clock kept running with a ref standing over the center ?
    5. They call a delay of game on buffalo that the refs caused.

Walt Anderson needs to talk some time off. He's the ref in charge of the AFC championship game that started the deflategate mess.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly I don't know how they decided it was running into the kick when he led into him, it was clearly roughing the kicker and a 15 yard penalty.

Some of the rules are ridiculous, I'm surprised that the 10 second runoff didn't rear it's ugly head.

The rules are okay mostly. It's when refs don't enforce them properly that's the problem.

• Advertisement

The balls in the game last night were horribly deflated:

582206eef3238e2068000001.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    The balls in the game last night were horribly deflated

Just preparing the Seahawks for next week's game :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wait, so you're telling me Richard Sherman and the Seahawks got a dodgy call from the refs? Well I've gone and shattered another monocle!

Hey remember when he said this?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/nfl-richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-referees-penalties

Paully D wrote: »
    Just preparing the Seahawks for next week's game :p
    Or maybe now we've actually got the real deflator in Walt Coleman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

There goes the Hawks first round pick :P
    Rodger has phoned Wells to let him know that $5m is on the way to his account :D

Given the performance of the refs on the night, if the balls were under inflated, the refs probably didn't tested them correctly before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

It shouldn't set a precedent, the officials were wrong. If they considered that it happened after the play then it's unnecessary roughness and still 15 yards.

I can't remember who said it(a former player anyway) and maybe its absolute bull but they said that because the play had been blown dead and the kicker had made contact with the ball then its only the offside penalty that needs to be enforced.

That sounds wrong as I type it I understand. But I'm just trying to work out why it wasnt called by the officials

• Advertisement

The play was never actually blown dead though, which was a major error on behalf of the refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

thank god seahawks changed their pants or thatd be awkward

thank god seahawks changed their pants or thatd be awkward

Jebus good spot I never even noticed that. Either way the images on the right were the game on Monday. But now that brings up another point. So this has happened in 2 Seahawks games?

I turned 38 at the weekend. My wife got me an NFL jersey. The only player she has ever heard me express a negative opinion about is Tom Brady, so she knew not to get me that jersey.

She managed to get me a player I dislike more!

What would be the worst jersey you lads could be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

D9Male wrote: »
    I turned 38 at the weekend. My wife got me an NFL jersey. The only player she has ever heard me express a negative opinion about is Tom Brady, so she knew not to get me that jersey.

She managed to get me a player I dislike more!

Who was it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

D9Male wrote:

#10 Eli manning
    I'm a cowboy fan

And my missus has a #21 Elliott on the way for Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

D9Male wrote:

#10 Eli manning
    I'm a cowboy fan

And my missus has a #21 Elliott on the way for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

hahaha that's amazing :) Go Giants!

I'm not sure who mine would be. Most of my mates are Eagles fans so maybe one of theirs but the only player in the NFC East I really dislike is Dez so probably him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

yeah any Patriots would be a disaster, but in particular #12! A Fitz Jets jersey would be a close second though:o
    Who was it???

My moneys on Rodgers

R Wilson 3

R Wilson 3
    So just to clarify, you dislike Tom Brady and Russell Wilson more than Ben Roethlisberger?

There are many others I could name but just the answer to this one would be enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So just to clarify, you dislike Tom Brady and Russell Wilson more than Ben Roethlisberger?

There are many others I could name but just the answer to this one would be enough for me.

Who mentioned Roethlisberger?

I don't like Big Ben either for obvious reasons.

Actually, to be fair, Big Ben is a good shout. When I opened the present, I thought it would be hard for her to walk into a shop in Dublin and get a jersey of a bigger knob than R Wilson. Clearly Aaron Hernandez, Vontaze Burfict and Greg Hardy would do it, but I can't imagine Elvery's are stocking those jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18014878/florida-international-golden-panthers-te-jonnu-smith-season-suffering-burns-attack?ex_cid=espnfb&sf41971896=1

Bit of a mad one. Florida International tight end out for season after girlfriend boiled up a pot of water and poured it on him and then started to physically assault him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Re. the Seahawks incident... who cares? The NFL has made absolutely no secret that the rules simply do not apply to them for quite some time now. Not even being hyperbolic, it's not a matter of if it is the case anymore, and is far more an issue of why it is the case. And a loud stadium does not cut it, not to that extent.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Re. the Seahawks incident... who cares? The NFL has made absolutely no secret that the rules simply do not apply to them for quite some time now. Not even being hyperbolic, it's not a matter of if it is the case anymore, and is far more an issue of why it is the case. And a loud stadium does not cut it, not to that extent.

Who cares? I do and as a Pats fan its an insult to an organizantion dragged through 2 years of nonsense over the same thing. There has to be consistency with rules and the problem with the NFL is exactly that no consistency and dragging players and teams through sh1t while others get away with the exact same sh1t.

I hate to bring it up but if that was a picture of Allen or Gostkowski kicking a soft ball this whole forum would be up in arms again as would social media as would the News outlets and we would be listening to how much of cheats the Pats are.

Goodell and the NFL are a shambles and the sooner the better the owners get out of his ass and wake up to the nonsense the better it is for everyone.

Here we go with the Patriots fans moaning again, does it ever stop???

.....just beating the usual protagonists with that line. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

A deflated ball is a clear disadvantage to a kicker or punter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Who cares? I do and as a Pats fan its an insult to an organizantion dragged through 2 years of nonsense over the same thing. There has to be consistency with rules and the problem with the NFL is exactly that no consistency and dragging players and teams through sh1t while others get away with the exact same sh1t.

I hate to bring it up but if that was a picture of Allen or Gostkowski kicking a soft ball this whole forum would be up in arms again as would social media as would the News outlets and we would be listening to how much of cheats the Pats are.

Goodell and the NFL are a shambles and the sooner the better the owners get out of his ass and wake up to the nonsense the better it is for everyone.
    I get that you'd be upset - but it's the Seahawks. Rules don't apply to them and that's that. It's been the case for years, and it's the kind of thing that has had me watching less of the NFL in the last two or so seasons (not just the Seahawks treatment, the league as a whole). It's more disillusionment than open protest on my part, but so long as people keep tuning in each and every week and profits keep going up and up and up, the league are free as they like to keep on doing what they want with no repercussions, and owners will continue to back Goodell as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Isaiah Pead is in a critical condition after a car accident.

According to the Columbus Division of Police, at about 2:32am, Saturday, Isaiah Pead, 26, was driving his 2011 Cadillac CTS eastbound on I-670 near E. 5th Avenue, when he lost control of the vehicle, and drove off the right side of the roadway.

The Cadillac struck the metal guardrail and continued through it. After going through the guardrail the Cadillac became airborne and struck several trees on the way down the embankment. It came to rest about 95 feet from the roadway.

During the crash, Pead was ejected from the vehicle.

Isaiah Pead is in a critical condition after a car accident.

According to the Columbus Division of Police, at about 2:32am, Saturday, Isaiah Pead, 26, was driving his 2011 Cadillac CTS eastbound on I-670 near E. 5th Avenue, when he lost control of the vehicle, and drove off the right side of the roadway.

The Cadillac struck the metal guardrail and continued through it. After going through the guardrail the Cadillac became airborne and struck several trees on the way down the embankment. It came to rest about 95 feet from the roadway.

During the crash, Pead was ejected from the vehicle.

:( Christ that sounds horrific. It seems everything the car could hit, it did.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    A deflated ball is a clear disadvantage to a kicker or punter

Still doesnt change the fact it was deflated. But deflated footballs can assist in onside kicks and short punts where you want to drop it shorter than normal. There is always a reason why they do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Was watching the McGregor fight earlier on & it showed OBJ in the crowd.
    His reaction after McGregor beat Alvarez was priceless:D
    https://twitter.com/ZPGIFs/status/797689474746613760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Having Ellie Goulding to rub it better makes up for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement