Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Only really caught on this past weekend about Kerry Hyder with the Lions. Undrafted in 2014, and sat on the Jets practice squad for the season.

Lions picked him up then last year, but he only played in one game, and I think that was just special teams snaps.

This year he's really after stepping up, and has 7 sacks as a DT in 9 games. Looking at the stats it says he's only started two games as well, although he's probably rotated in heavily, but its really a phenomenal year for the guy.

Love to see these type of 'come from nowhere' stories. Anyone see much of him this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Knex. wrote: »
    Only really caught on this past weekend about Kerry Hyder with the Lions. Undrafted in 2014, and sat on the Jets practice squad for the season.

Lions picked him up then last year, but he only played in one game, and I think that was just special teams snaps.

This year he's really after stepping up, and has 7 sacks as a DT in 9 games. Looking at the stats it says he's only started two games as well, although he's probably rotated in heavily, but its really a phenomenal year for the guy.

Love to see these type of 'come from nowhere' stories. Anyone see much of him this year?

He was actually moved to DE this year and lost 20 pounds in the off-season. Was doing well in the d-line rotation but many thought he'd be cut until the 4th preseason game where he had 3 sacks against the Bills. He's really surprised a lot of people. When Ziggy got hurt he may not have been named the starter but he was our main pass rusher outside Taylor. Since Ansah has come back he has been used more at DT in pass rushing situations.

He's quick and fast but not exceptionally so for an NFL DE I think it's his motor which has really helped him step up this year, he also is a smart player and I believe has one of the highest pass rushing productivity rates in 4-3 ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I hope he kept his receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

paulie21 wrote: »

I'm sure the media will find a way to blame Cutler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,403 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gronk has what is believed to be a punctured lung according to NFL.com

And Kyle Long is out for the season as well.

Jeffrey released a statement...

"As a professional athlete, I have been careful about what I put in my body. I took a recommended supplement to combat inflammation. Unfortunately this supplement contained an ingredient that was on the NFL’s banned substance list..."

Don't worry about it Alshon, there's a lot of that going around the league apparently.

Ezekiel Elliot has 1005 yards after 10 game.
    Eric dickersons rookie record is 1808 yards which elliot should break barring any significant drop off.
    Eric dickersons single season record is 2105 yards which he might miss on but the rookie record is easily within reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

At least it is this season... if they sign him of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Kyle Long has been injured all season (torn labrum), so I'm fine with him resting his shoulder (and now his ankle too..) until next July. The season is over anyway.

Alshon needs to employ smarter medical professionals to get him the good stuff the NFL has not banned.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Kyle Long has been injured all season (torn labrum), so I'm fine with him resting his shoulder (and now his ankle too..) until next July. The season is over anyway.

Yeah I know, and I agree, it's better in the long term and should have been done ages ago, except that coaches make these decisions in their own best interests rather than the best interests of the player (Long's recovery isn't much good to an O-line coordinator or HC if they get fired while he's out).

Not that I want us to tank, I've said numerous times I think losing is a hard habit to break and the fact it's largely the same teams who are bad every year seems to reinforce that...but still, if I can see evidence of progress from the younger players, especially draft picks, and signs of fight and aggression...I could take a few losses that might lead to a second pick in the draft (clearly the Browns have the first pick wrapped up). In that regard, and adding to the fact that Long can now be properly recovered in time for next season, it's not all bad news.

I think Ryan Pace has drafted very well with the exception of Kevin White. Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard this year have been fantastic picks in particular and I think Floyd will end up being great once he develops. But his success or failure will ultimately be measured on the next draft, in particular the QB he picks. And certainly he has no choice but to pick one now...

EDIT: sorry forgot I'm not on the Bears thread, this might be a bit much for the general banter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There could be quite a few long-term head coaches seats' getting extremely warm.

Without a doubt Marvin Lewis needs to go IMO. His message has clearly gone stale and no playoff wins in the last 5 years with the rosters they have had is a joke.

Tomlin is another one I'd be very close to pulling the trigger on if they don't go deep in the playoffs this season. Now to be fair I would still expect the Steelers to win the AFC North, but they should be getting to the conference game. The offense should be up there as one of the best in the league but are ranked just over halfway.

Mike McCarthy also.

All of the aforementioned would be sought after and would likely do good jobs elsewhere, but things seem to have gone or be getting stale in their current roles, similar to Andy Reid in Philly.

A tip of the cap to tony romo. That's a classy approach for him to take.

Personally, I think Cowboys owe it to Romo to put him back in. He's hardly going to put them in a worse position than they would be with Dak. He's one of the best QBs of the past decade, and I think he's still at that level.

But even sentiment aside, if Cowboys are down 14 with four minutes left on the clock, everyone associated with the franchise could only want one QB in that situation right now, and for my money that has to be Romo.

Paully D wrote: »
    There could be quite a few long-term head coaches seats' getting extremely warm.

Without a doubt Marvin Lewis needs to go IMO. His message has clearly gone stale and no playoff wins in the last 5 years with the rosters they have had is a joke.

Tomlin is another one I'd be very close to pulling the trigger on if they don't go deep in the playoffs this season. Now to be fair I would still expect the Steelers to win the AFC North, but they should be getting to the conference game. The offense should be up there as one of the best in the league but are ranked just over halfway.

Mike McCarthy also.

All of the aforementioned would be sought after and would likely do good jobs elsewhere, but things seem to have gone or be getting stale in their current roles, similar to Andy Reid in Philly.

I'd be happy with most of them coming to Chicago, where fox will also definitely be on the hot seat. Tomlin in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Personally, I think Cowboys owe it to Romo to put him back in. He's hardly going to put them in a worse position than they would be with Dak. He's one of the best QBs of the past decade, and I think he's still at that level.

But even sentiment aside, if Cowboys are down 14 with four minutes left on the clock, everyone associated with the franchise could only want one QB in that situation right now, and for my money that has to be Romo.

Its a results orientated business. In my mind a coach would have to be crazy to take Dak out after the start they've had. If Dak makes mistakes and loses a couple of games then maybe you could advocate for the reintroduction of Romo but I cant see that happening right now. Dak and Zeke could go into the history books this season.

I think Romo is still definitely the superior QB, though. I trust him in every scenario. I can't say the same for Dak.

As a Giants fan, I'm obviously more than happy for Dallas to keep the better QB on the bench though. I just think its a mistake.

Somewhat similar, imo, would be Patriots keeping Garoppolo in at the expense of Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think Romo is still definitely the superior QB, though. I trust him in every scenario. I can't say the same for Dak.

As a Giants fan, I'm obviously more than happy for Dallas to keep the better QB on the bench though. I just think its a mistake.

Somewhat similar, imo, would be Patriots keeping Garoppolo in at the expense of Brady.

I dont think thats similar at all to be honest but thats just my opinion. Brady is one of the best of all time. Romo is not.

and I am a Redskins fan, I would 100% prefer if they went back to Romo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

...you're a Giants fan, right!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

As Reservoir Dubs Anchorman said, Romo is miles away from Brady.

Plus Prescott has played better over a longer period of time than Jimmy G.

As to putting Romo in at 14 points down, I disagree. Romo has been suffering from injury for a while now, and even when he played after injury last year (think it was two games) he played poorly and was hauled off injured after a sh1tshow against Carolina.

It is a good while since he has played at the level that Dak has shown in the past 9 games.

I think playing Dak is the safer bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One way to settle it once and for all is to start Romo, then wait for the 4-5 plays it will take him to get injured and be ruled out for the rest of the season. Then it's Dak's team for the rest of the year with no controversy to worry about!

I can see the injury argument alright, and to be honest that's the only side of the argument that I would see as a legit reason to keep Dak in there. For me, Romo is one of the most underappreciated QBs of the past decade. He's not on the level of Brady, Brees, Peyton and (formerly) Rodgers, but he's right below that.

I haven't seen enough of Dak to say that he's at that level, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Yeah I know, and I agree, it's better in the long term and should have been done ages ago, except that coaches make these decisions in their own best interests rather than the best interests of the player (Long's recovery isn't much good to an O-line coordinator or HC if they get fired while he's out).

Not that I want us to tank, I've said numerous times I think losing is a hard habit to break and the fact it's largely the same teams who are bad every year seems to reinforce that...but still, if I can see evidence of progress from the younger players, especially draft picks, and signs of fight and aggression...I could take a few losses that might lead to a second pick in the draft (clearly the Browns have the first pick wrapped up). In that regard, and adding to the fact that Long can now be properly recovered in time for next season, it's not all bad news.

I think Ryan Pace has drafted very well with the exception of Kevin White. Cody Whitehair and Jordan Howard this year have been fantastic picks in particular and I think Floyd will end up being great once he develops. But his success or failure will ultimately be measured on the next draft, in particular the QB he picks. And certainly he has no choice but to pick one now...

EDIT: sorry forgot I'm not on the Bears thread, this might be a bit much for the general banter...

While not as long-tenured as some of those, Gus Bradley should also be shown the door. He has done nothing to improve the Jags despite multiple high-end draft picks & a 14-43 record is shameful. I would love to see Tom Coughlin go back in there. He has great ties to the franchise obviously and is clearly raring to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

For me, Romo is one of the most underappreciated QBs of the past decade.
    I actually think he's been over rated in that time. He's been good at times, but never really done it for the Cowboys. He's probably gotten too much praise and criticism in his career.

I can see the injury argument alright, and to be honest that's the only side of the argument that I would see as a legit reason to keep Dak in there. For me, Romo is one of the most underappreciated QBs of the past decade. He's not on the level of Brady, Brees, Peyton and (formerly) Rodgers, but he's right below that.

Although I agree with the above. I would also flip it:

I haven't seen enough of Romo in nearly two years to say he is currently capable of playing at the level that Dak is playing at.

D9Male wrote: »
    Although I agree with the above. I would also flip it:

I haven't seen enough of Romo in nearly two years to say he is currently capable of playing at the level that Dak is playing at.

I concede a point there, yeah. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I can understand Knex's argument, to be honest. I've watched almost all of Dallas' games this year and whilst Dak has played very well I'd agree with him that if Dallas needed to chase the game you'd surely want Romo in there. Dak has been the perfect QB for the offence they've run this year with such a good running game dominating time of possession, with the ability to play the Option and run for a first down like he does and with the likes of Beasley being great at getting all of the underneath throws.

They've not really needed him at any point to chase a game and to win it with his arm.

The obvious counter-argument to that is that they had 40 seconds to score on Sunday against the Steelers and made it with Dak under centre but they were helped massively with the facemask penalty and then Zeke did the rest.

I don't know, at the end of the day Dak has done everythnig he needed to do, the Cowboys are winning big games and he needs to stay in but as a Giants fan I know I'd rather see Prescott start at QB on Dec 11th at Metlife than Romo, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

What team will be after Michael's now that the Seahawks have released him - Giants/Vikings?

• Advertisement

Irish94 wrote: »
    What team will be after Michael's now that the Seahawks have released him - Giants/Vikings?

lots of teams with a need there. I would like to see the Lions or green bay going for him.

I would say that the Packers or Giants would be a good fit.

If I were him, I wouldn't go near the Vikings.

Maybe the Broncos could do with a running back. Their two lads at the moment do not inspire confidence.

D9Male wrote: »
    I would say that the Packers or Giants would be a good fit.

If I were him, I wouldn't go near the Vikings.

Maybe the Broncos could do with a running back. Their two lads at the moment do not inspire confidence.

Yeah I am a bit surprised the Seahawks are waiving him to be honest

There was so much hype about him at the start of the season. He was good, but Seahawks has recently defined a plug and play offence for a running back. So many guys have succeeded there.

Still, I would like him to be a Viking. Not sure what type of moolah he would command, but we don't have much to spare and if we do, the O line would be a priority.

Does he need to clear waivers or can he sign with who he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Does he need to clear waivers or can he sign with who he wants?

Gotta clear waivers, and I'd be surprised if he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I do agree that he's very underappreciated, but still definitely would not even consider putting him in. I don't see how he could play much better than Prescott is now, with age/injuries there is a very real chance he could be going they way Peyton Manning did at the end, it would create a big controversy for what has possibly been the most smooth-sailing, consistent team all year (so, so weird to say that about Dallas :o ) where there is none - especially because Romo is being such a model pro about the situation, and it would take away from their building for the future. They are built to win now sure, but outside of Witten (34, TE) and Doug Free (32, RT) their oldest offensive starter I believe is 27 years of age. That is incredible and while they should look to win now that is exactly what they are doing with Prescott, the long term benefit of sticking with him is also very big - keep his confidence up, keep him learning, keep him getting more familiar with team mates, opponents, situations, etc. Having Elliott & Prescott on rookie deals for the next several years also means keeping them together is very realistic.

Plus if Prescott hits the rookie wall or is found out/nervy in a playoff game, Romo might just be the biggest 'ace in the hole' backup QB since the Cardinals had Kurt Warner. That could be huge in an ugly divisional/conference game that's slipping away from them, for example.

It's possibly the biggest no brainer of a QB controversy I've ever seen, to be honest.

I doubt the Giants will look at him. He'd seem a decent fit in Green Bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Gotta clear waivers, and I'd be surprised if he does.

How soon could he be back playing so?

How soon could he be back playing so?

I would imagine immediately after he's picked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Truth
    Just because something is great year after year, doesn’t mean anything is going on. Why can’t some things just be great? It starts with with questions and then questions turn into a assumptions and then assumptions turn into vacations. So why would you punish the Week of Greatness for something that never even happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hazys wrote: »

Get over it man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd agree with Knex. I'd put Romo in.

The Broncos last season might be a good comparison, albeit obviously a bit different.

Dropped Peyton despite being 8-1 (IIRC), rode with Osweiler and then made the decision to go back to Peyton again for the playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd agree with Knex. I'd put Romo in.

The Broncos last season might be a good comparison, albeit obviously a bit different.

Dropped Peyton despite being 8-1 (IIRC), rode with Osweiler and then made the decision to go back to Peyton again for the playoffs.

But both Peyton and Osweiler never looked anything other than average, and that was on their good days!

Cowboys situation is very different as you say, Dak looks very promising and I think they'd be mad to bench him. Prescott has led them to 8-1 - the sample size is getting bigger and bigger. I know Romo is a very good quarterback, but don't fix what isn't broken. Changing a winning formula for no reason is probably the quickest way Jason Garrett could go about getting himself fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I doubt the Giants will look at him. He'd seem a decent fit in Green Bay.

Reports are that he's gone to Green Bay

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Reports are that he's gone to Green Bay

Yeah both GB and Minnesota put in a claim apparently but GB's inferior record means they got him.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Amazing how people see things differently. I thought he was very gracious and completely onside. I feel like Romo knows he is close to finished. Dak and this team gives him the best chance of finishing with a ring but he's obviously sad that the journey is over.

Just on a side note this current set up does allow for the scenario for Tony to be the hero or saviour (similar to Peyton last year) and I for one would love to see it happen for him. Of course as long as it doesn't cost the Redskins!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

has a rookie QB ever wont a SB when he's been the starting QB?

has a rookie QB ever wont a SB when he's been the starting QB?

I dont think a rookie has ever started a SB and won. There were a couple of NFC winners prior to the leagues amalgamating I think but that is based on seeing a 30 for 30 on Cleveland who I think had a rookie who won a championship in the 40's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Agree that at this stage you cannot take the risk of making the change at QB. The Denver change at the end of last year was a roll of the dice at best. If Kubiak had thought Peyton was the better option he would've started the game at SD. Had Osweiler done the business he would've started as far as he could take the team last year.

WE all know Romo, when healthy is a top 5/8 QB in the NFL, but the risk you would run fracturing the lockeroom and ruining the chemistry is too great. Dak's given no reason to bench him, the offense is humming and the team are winning. A change now would be taking a huge, unneccesary risk. I think the bigger question is, will the change to Romo is Dak has a couple of bad outings (and the team wins) or has a couple of bad outings (and the team loses) Garrett will have a tough call to make then.

Now, with that said - i do think people are forgetting just how lights out Romo was before he got injured....last 19 games he is 15-4 as starter, 4600 yards, close to 70% completion 39 tds, 16 ints, 8y/a....all this without Elliot (although he did have Murray tearing it up in 2014). I would love if he came to Denver next year and "did a Manning" Not sure how much he has left with the injuries he's had, but I think the upside would be worth the risk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement