Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Health Insurance Question

Options
  • 06-03-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

Similar to a question asked by GrumPy in a previous thread, I was looking for a definitive answer on whether or not the following course of action is the best path to take regarding insurance for my trip.

I'm flying over to Canada at the end of the month to activate my visa (have passport in date, money - no problem) and I'm flying back out a few days later.
    So I'm only activating; coming back over full-time in the summer.

If I buy VHI 2 year Insurance for the activation trip, can I cancel it within the cooling-off period when I return and get my money back? I'll buy insurance again for permanently moving over in the summer of course, I just don't want to lose over 300 euro.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

we were not asked in toronto for bank statement or insurance info, this was two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

What do you need to show as proof of insurance? The Certificate of Insurance?

Whats to stop someone buying insurance, printing the Certificate, and then canceling it straight away and getting their money back....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Im doing something similar, activating my visa in a few weeks by staying in Toronto a few days but I plan to go back to Canada in June.I'm thinking of buying a multitrip insurance for now and buying a multitrip starting next March which would technically give me the two years cover. I'm not sure if it'd work though. I'm cautious of buying the backpacker one and cancelling it but a multitrip would only cost about 50euro. I'll get decent insurance when I go in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Multi trip insurance won't work unless it covers you for the full two years in Canada from the time you enter to activate your visa. If it is only or a year your visa will only be for a year. They might not check it but immigration checked all my paperwork thoroughly at the airport. When you leave and come back you will only had to show your visa, you won't need to show the insurance then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I'm thinking of getting a year one from March 2015-2016. I also found a site where you can buy it now to cover you from March 2016-2017. It'd technically be two years travel insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement