Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

dropped my lid

• 06-03-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

hows things lads?

was out for a bit of a spin earlier and after coming out of a shop I balanced my lid on the pillion seat while putting on my balaclava. big mistake. a puff of wind and the fcuking thing fell off and went rolling down the road. gutted. cue much swearing.

anyways I seen somewhere that its not a great idea to use a lid after its been dropped. is this true? money is tight and it would kill me to have to fork out for a new one but at the same time I don't want to be using something that's not protecting my head properly.

opinions welcome! thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Helmets are like condoms, one use only! the foam has now compressed at the point of impact, even though it only fell a few feet, keep it and get a new one when you can; I've done the same,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

RHJ wrote: »

I agree, the foam compresses after contact when your head is inside it and hits something. The plastic on the outside is that hard Id doubt it compressed with 2kg falling a few feet onto the ground.

BTW I did the same thing with my helmet before so I share your pain... guarantee you'll never make the mistake again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I reckon that if you use the lid for racing it "mightn't" be a good idea to use it again, but if you're just commuting I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

so the general feeling is it should be grand and keep using it? Ive just been messing with the visor and it seems to be taken a bit of damage. I might keep it for another 6 months or so and then look to replace it.

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sonic85 wrote: »
    so the general feeling is it should be grand and keep using it? Ive just been messing with the visor and it seems to be taken a bit of damage. I might keep it for another 6 months or so and then look to replace it.

thanks for the replies

I'd be saving harder to buy sooner, you only get one head and the manufactures say they need to be replaced if dropped. IIRC some will inspect a helmet and say it's OK to use after a drop.

You could always keep the dropped one for emergencies, if you drop and badly damage the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

when is a drop not a drop? 2", 2 feet or 2 yards? I think a lot of this is bandied about by the manufacturers for obvious reasons. If you've been down road and given it a right old whack then fair enough but if you can do enough damage to a lid by dropping it off seat that renders it somehow "less" protective than before it doesn't say much for the lid to begin with IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Its a no brainer, buy a new helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

when is a drop not a drop? 2", 2 feet or 2 yards? I think a lot of this is bandied about by the manufacturers for obvious reasons. If you've been down road and given it a right old whack then fair enough but if you can do enough damage to a lid by dropping it off seat that renders it somehow "less" protective than before it doesn't say much for the lid to begin with IMO.

Lids break to protect you so they have built in weakness, we don't know what force is required to compromise these and unfortunately the only true way to know if it's been damaged too much from a small drop is the big drop and I think my head is worth a bit more than a new lid.

It's one of the expensive lessons most bikers learn hopefully once, always make sure that you're helmet is secure where you leave it down and always park with the front wheel to the kerb when only using a disc lock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Del2005 wrote: »
    you only get one head and the manufactures say they need to be replaced if dropped.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck. Meself and my childhood buddies used to get great craic of of taking turns putting the auld fella's helmet on and seeing how hard we could whack each other over the head with various implements. Hurleys, golf clubs, etc. Glad he never had a spill!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Have they not started making lid interiors out of 'D3O' yet?
    'Tis fancy foam that appears indestructible. Can even buy a full D3O suit for about 1k for limb protection.
    Check out the vids of thin D3O beanie vs baseball bat/saucepans too.

Sure add on the aul avalanche quick gas inflatable backpack.

As any road falls over 45mph is the benchmark for 50/50 chance of seeing another day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Keep the bleed'n thing and stop sweating it.

If I was to worry about, and replace all the helmets I've dropped over the last thirty years I'd be broke, homeless and bike'less.

Seriously if thats all that happened to your lid you've feck all to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I dropped my HJC Monster lid about 2 feet from a truck cabin getting a lift. I seen the impact and TBH I aint replacing it, its totally fine. However if it was a heavy impact or from a bigger height I would consider changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'd be more worried about the paint scratching on the helmet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A scraped helmet can bring tears to the eyes alright

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement