Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Parts!!!!

Options
  • 06-03-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Looking for advice on where to find the best deals when buying pc components. I don't mind buying online but perhaps some stores like Pc World do some good deals!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Pc world has the graphics card that I want for 400euro more than the price that an online shop has. Pretty much all of their stuff in there are overpriced.

hardwareversand.de through geizhals.de is usually the recommendation of people around here I believe. You might want to be using google chrome though for the auto translation as they are german websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd have to second that. PCWorld is overpriced no doubt and typically the few items where they are competitive are out of stock most of the time. I know they have bigger overheads, storefront, staff etc but in the cold light of the day who's going to voluntarily pay 50% more (or more) to support local jobs? People say they do but I have my doubts.
    PCWorld is for non-IT people who need things done for them. If you know what you want and you know what you're doing its discount online retailers all the way. The price gap is just too big. I'd pay 10% or even 20% more on smaller items for the convenience of picking it up locally on the day but some of their prices are just out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If you dont fancy the germans, these sites are reasonable enough Komplett.ie, dabs.ie and elara.Ie

For memory and hard drives, you could try memoryc.ie and crucial.co.uk.

Here's an example off the pcworld website. They have a bog standard AMD Sapphire r9 280x for 300 euro(apparently on sale from 350) while hardwareversand.de through geizhals.de has a Sapphite Tri-x OC version r9 280x for 250. That's a huge difference. :) and hardwareversand.de only charge 10euro flat rate for delivery so it is worth it. In some cases, even if you're buying only one item, it's still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Are hardwareversnd taking payment by credit card yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

hardwareversand.de through geizhals.de is usually the recommendation of people around here I believe. You might want to be using google chrome though for the auto translation as they are german websites.

Or just use the english version of the site...

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Or just use the english version of the site...

Didn't know geizhals had an english version. Where is this accessed?

Thats not even too bad. €40 difference. If somethings wrong with the thing and you have to send it back your savings are quickly gone out the window. Sometimes I'd nearly pay €40 extra just for the convenience of having it on the day rather than wait a week for the post/courier. Depends on what the item is and how badly I need it. But for more expensive items it quickly becomes way more than €40.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Thats not even too bad. €40 difference. If somethings wrong with the thing and you have to send it back your savings are quickly gone out the window. Sometimes I'd nearly pay €40 extra just for the convenience of having it on the day rather than wait a week for the post/courier. Depends on what the item is and how badly I need it. But for more expensive items it quickly becomes way more than €40.

It was the top GPU that PCworld had so I couldn't compare with higher priced stuff :P But the problem here is that the one HWVS had is soooo much better than what PCworld had and HWVS was still cheaper despite that. Plus, I think the OP is looking for multiple parts so 40 savings multiple times seems pretty good to me. Anyway, each to their own :) I've never had a problem with HWVS which is why I'm recommending them. I even contacted them and they spoke decent english and they were pretty helpful :P

Don't get me wrong I like them, too. Language not a problem as I'm German myself. Its just sometimes you have to weigh up between convenience and savings. http://www.reichelt.de are pretty good, too.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I like them, too. Language not a problem as I'm German myself. Its just sometimes you have to weigh up between convenience and savings. http://www.reichelt.de are pretty good, too.

Seems like you've had a lot of experience with this. Just wondering, what do you think about playit.de? They come up a lot as cheaper options than HWVS in geizhals. Ever heard of them?

Seems like you've had a lot of experience with this. Just wondering, what do you think about playit.de? They come up a lot as cheaper options than HWVS in geizhals. Ever heard of them?

No never heard of them, sorry. Hardwareversand or reichelt is where I go. Actually a lot of the time I simply go to http://www.guenstiger.de and pick the cheapest that comes up that ships to Ireland. It's a German price comparison website like http://www.pricerunner.co.uk. Unfortunately it is in German only.

Advertisement