Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor or tv

Options
  • 07-03-2015 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i need a new tv or monitor for my gaming any advice what to go for and have you seen any.bargains out there?

Good few saying I should go full hd gaming monitor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you on PC or console?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are you on PC or console?

Consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not all monitors have a HDMI slot, just something to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For consoles, i'd definitely go TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Most monitors don't have speakers either, something to watch out for too. If its a console personally I would probably go with a TV

• Advertisement

Most monitors don't have speakers either, something to watch out for too. If its a console personally I would probably go with a TV, check the TV has a decent response time in milliseconds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If the monitor has hdmi would that be okay? Looking at a 27 inch aoc monitor full hd with two hdmi ports

If the monitor has hdmi would that be okay? Looking at a 27 inch aoc monitor full hd with two hdmi ports

Of course! Might I recommend the monitor I have is 24" AOC E2461F (, if its on a desk its plenty big. You will need headphones or external speakers on this one (2ms response time) though)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The benefits offered by a monitor would be fairly negligible when it comes to console gaming vs PC. The high refresh rate or improved resolution wouldn't apply as the most you're looking at for a console game would be 60FPS 1080p. The response time could potentially be faster depending on the model, however.

Size would be the biggest point worthy of consideration. You can get a big TV cheap and easily, so depending on your setup you could place it further away from where you're actually sitting (better for 'couch gaming'). With a smaller monitor you're going to be sitting closer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Look for a game mode in the TV manual, might find it online. That will cut out any filtering that most flat screen displays engage in and cut down lag time.
    Of course its good to note, with my Arcade and Retro hat on, that older pre HD consoles all look best on a CRT, preferably via RGB cable, this includes everything from PS2/Xbox/GC and earlier.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Look for a game mode in the TV manual, might find it online. That will cut out any filtering that most flat screen displays engage in and cut down lag time.
    Of course its good to note, with my Arcade and Retro hat on, that older pre HD consoles all look best on a CRT, preferably via RGB cable, this includes everything from PS2/Xbox/GC and earlier.

I found some of the "Game" modes to be pants on some flat screen TV's and still suffer from input lag. OP do plenty of reviews before you make the drop whatever your avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Too much FUD in here.

Check http://www.displaylag.com/

Display lag on TVs is usually worse because they have post-processing, which is fine for movies but horrid for gaming.
    The absolute best would probably be a widescreen CRT ;)

Advertisement