Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal Match Thread 9/3/15 k/o 19.45 BBC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The facts of it are clear to everyone, United are for the most part sh1te and Arsenal for the most part will roll over against them regardless of that. And that's roll over in the puppy dog sense rather than the steamroller sense unfortunately.

If they turn up like they did against City a few weeks ago they should have every chance but I won't be holding my breath.

Spot on. The biggest obstacle to Arsenal winning tonight is Arsenal. They are better than this United team in every department, bar goalkeeper. And of course mentally. United raise their game against Arsenal, Arsenal bottle it against United. Going to be interesting but my heart tells me we'll be disappointed again.

2-0 Salford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any team news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spot on. The biggest obstacle to Arsenal winning tonight is Arsenal. They are better than this United team in every department, bar goalkeeper. And of course mentally. United raise their game against Arsenal, Arsenal bottle it against United. Going to be interesting but my heart tells me we'll be disappointed again.

2-0 Salford.

And CF, Rooney > Girourd, IMO.

On form though, Arsenals XI looks better and more settled than Utds and I think Arsenal will win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    And CF, Rooney > Girourd, IMO.

On form though, Arsenals XI looks better and more settled than Utds and I think Arsenal will win tonight.

I wasnt making a like for like player comparison though. Arsenal have a better forward unit than United, far more goal potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely critical match this season - Arsenal beat United at OT and they are flying, United beat Arsenal and the next few PL games seem a bit more winnable.. momentum is everything now.

2-1 United for me, Always like playing Arsenal and I think the last 2 games have shown United slowly starting to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

keano_afc wrote: »
    I wasnt making a like for like player comparison though. Arsenal have a better forward unit than United, far more goal potential.

CF? or CF and support players?

If its just CF's Utd trump pretty much the entire league, even if they havent been good this year.

If youre including Sanchez, Ozil, Caorla, Walcott, Ox, then yes, Arsenal trump Utd and nearly every one else in the league.

Should be a good game regardless tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Consider that United beat arsenal at the emirates earlier in the season with Blackett and McNair in defence,
    Going 1 up in the 86th minute despite not having had a shot on goal.

I see no reason for optimism about tonight for us Gooners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Who's back in CM for Arsenal tonight?

Can only hope that Wenger goes with the top heavy formation he did against Monaco because we should dominate midfield in that case.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Consider that United beat arsenal at the emirates earlier in the season with Blackett and McNair in defence,

That might as well be a million years ago though. Arsenal are looking better lately and United have stood still, at best. If it wasn't for history, I would be expecting Arsenal to edge it.

However, I'm quietly confident.

• Advertisement

• irishfeen wrote: »
    Absolutely critical match this season - Arsenal beat United at OT and they are flying, United beat Arsenal and the next few PL games seem a bit more winnable.. momentum is everything now.

2-1 United for me, Always like playing Arsenal and I think the last 2 games have shown United slowly starting to improve.

Michael Carrick coming back at the right time.
    Also, sticking with wingers seems to have improved the team.
    Di Maria showed improvement when he wasn't allowed to roam as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

bad2dabone wrote: »

Lets not forget that they won that game due to one of the flukiest goals you'll ever see which came against the run of play. As somebody said earlier, the biggest obstacle for Arsenal to overcome tonight is themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United will have 3 shots on target,score twice & win 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

AdamD wrote: »
    As somebody said earlier, the biggest obstacle for Arsenal to overcome tonight is themselves.

What does this nonsense even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Who's back in CM for Arsenal tonight?

Can only hope that Wenger goes with the top heavy formation he did against Monaco because we should dominate midfield in that case.

Hoping it's Ramsey and Cazorla in front of Coquelin. Ozil left and Alexis right. Sit back and soak it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RasTa wrote: »

That means absolutely nothing. Just some nonsense posted to somehow excuse Arsenal loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Something to look forward to on a Monday night , I can see Utd nicking a win.

[excuse mode] If United play to their strengths and all players are on form then they will give proper hiding to Arsenal, biggest obstacle for ManUtd is themselves and their mentality to not turn up and play well at all in last few years. [/excuse mode]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Says the guy who was talking ****e back on page one. At first somehow we're as delusional as Liverpool fans without any statement to back that up and then when someone posts about tonight showing that fans of Arsenal aren't getting ahead ofthemselves and thinking we'll win comfortably it's nonsense?

He's clearly talking about the mental stranglehold that Manchester United have over Arsenal and which has been highlighted several times in the media.

What kind of defence will Man United be lining out, with Evans out?

Says the guy who was talking ****e back on page one. At first somehow we're as delusional as Liverpool fans without any statement to back that up and then when someone posts about tonight showing that fans of Arsenal aren't getting ahead ofthemselves and thinking we'll win comfortably it's nonsense?

He's clearly talking about the mental stranglehold that Manchester United have over Arsenal and which has been highlighted several times in the media.

Mental block, incapable of playing well from last few years even when we have players to do so. Just like Arsenal we can find numerous excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So when Monaco beat yis the other week was that Arsenal losing to themselves? I'm not stupid enough to come up with statements or excuses that has being mentioned in here so far or whatever Quazzie was waffling about.

I guess if the media says it then you might as well believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Mental block, incapable of playing well from last few years even when we have players to do so. Just like Arsenal we can find numerous excuses.

It's simply highlighting the facts. The fact of the matter is we have an awful recrod against yous and haven't won in Trafford in 9 years. If it wasn't one of us bringing it up when factoring in tonight then one of yous would defintely bring it up and accuse us of getting ahead of ourselves. Not that I think that it should be used an excuse for failings.

So when Monaco beat yis the other week was that Arsenal losing to themselves? I'm not stupid enough to come up with statements or excuses that has being mentioned in here so far or whatever Quazzie was waffling about.

I guess if the media says it then you might as well believe it.

No, it was similiar ****, going in as favourites and capitulating when we went a goal down, even though we had the better team and then employing suicide tactics which allowed Moanco to score the third which was unforgivable.

It's simply highlighting the facts. The fact of the matter is we have an awful recrod against yous and haven't won in Trafford in 9 years. If it wasn't one of us bringing it up when factoring in tonight then one of yous would defintely bring it up and accuse us of getting ahead of ourselves. Not that I think that it should be used an excuse for failings.

That's not the point, Arsenal fans saying only obstacle for Arsenal is themselves as if ManUtd doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's not the point, Arsenal fans saying only obstacle for Arsenal is themselves as if ManUtd doesn't matter.

Arsenal at Old Trafford be like this:

8c3d20044d080d8a7d3a5c1509cfdcb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tbh this match is probably gonna have **** all bragging rights for the winners. As ya just know the losers are gonna just say that it's only the FA cup and that they can concentrate on finishing top 3/4. I don't agree with that, but ya know that's gonna be the excuse.

Another point is the starting lineups, which can have a big bearing on the result. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides rest a couple of players, can see Walcott and Chambers maybe getting a run out for the Arsenal. Am quietly confident that Arsenal can get a result, but anytime I feel that way against Man Utd it ends up a narrow loss. Hoping to spank Man Utd but wouldn't be surprised with a loss.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It just means they're saying they think Arsenal are the better team but that doesn't mean they will win, when non-Arsenal fans make the same point they refer to the team as "bottlers". If we were playing Stoke in the Brittannia many would say the same thing considering we never win there either, and in that case at least we're clearly the better team on paper(rarely on the day). I think it would be pretty naive of any Arsenal fan to go into an away fixture at either Old Trafford or the Brittannia expecting a win considering our record in both places, and you can be damn sure anyone who was confident of a win would be called up on being delusional because Arsenal are bottlers, but apparently if an Arsenal fan acknowledges we're bottlers it's not a valid criticism just making excuses.

And before anyone get's butthurt about me lumping United in with Stoke, it's not a reflection on either club just an acknowledgement of Arsenal's record against both away. I don't think there's much difference in quality between Arsenal or United and both teams are underperforming in the league when you look at their squads.

If Arsenal show up they'll win. But theyre a bunch of bottlers so probably won't. Fairly obvious I would have thought.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It just means they're saying they think Arsenal are the better team but that doesn't mean they will win, when non-Arsenal fans make the same point they refer to the team as "bottlers". If we were playing Stoke in the Brittannia many would say the same thing considering we never win there either, and in that case at least we're clearly the better team on paper(rarely on the day). I think it would be pretty naive of any Arsenal fan to go into an away fixture at either Old Trafford or the Brittannia expecting a win considering our record in both places, and you can be damn sure anyone who was confident of a win would be called up on being delusional because Arsenal are bottlers, but apparently if an Arsenal fan acknowledges we're bottlers it's not a valid criticism just making excuses.

And before anyone get's butthurt about me lumping United in with Stoke, it's not a reflection on either club just an acknowledgement of Arsenal's record against both away. I don't think there's much difference in quality between Arsenal or United and both teams are underperforming in the league when you look at their squads.

I would have agreed if the game was at Emirates or somehow in the Neutral venue. This match is at OT, so many saying if Arsenal can turn up they will win easily are really underestimating ManUtd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal fans covering their arses should they lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be hoofball won't it? Giroud and Fellaini as the target men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote: »
    If Arsenal show up they'll win. But theyre a bunch of bottlers so probably won't. Fairly obvious I would have thought.
    You do know they won the FA Cup last year?

For me Arsenal are the better side at the minute and I expect them to win this game. United are dreadful to watch and even though they have been getting results of late they just don't look good enough to challenge an Arsenal team with a lot of attacking talent.

I just think that United's defense is not good enough to handle them.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

For me Arsenal are the better side at the minute and I expect them to win this game. United are dreadful to watch and even though they have been getting results of late they just don't look good enough to challenge an Arsenal team with a lot of attacking talent.

Which they nearly ****ed up by not turning up in the opening few minutes. This Arsenal team constantly concede the opening goal in big games which leaves the opposition the chance to sit and hit them on the break. Against Hull they recovered but against United they won't (and didn't earlier in the season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

This 'turning up' excuse and mental block for utd is such a load of bolloxology.

Turning up is the worst. Where do you expect them to go? I know in being literal but they don't just all sit down on the pitch or start taking selfies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wont Utd get a walkover if Arsenal dont turn up?
    I hope they dont turn up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Utd are poor on the road, but only Chelsea are better at home. Plus Utds awful defense has conceded less goals than Arsenal and is second again to Chelsea in the league.
    Utd may be dreadful to watch but are very effective at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

adox wrote: »

Think it's a 3 nil win if they don't show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

adox wrote: »

No. It would be blocked out as adults are stupid like that.

Imagine if they literally didn't turn up. That'd be gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Utd are poor on the road, but only Chelsea are better at home. Plus Utds awful defense has conceded less goals than Arsenal and is second again to Chelsea in the league.
    Utd may be dreadful to watch but are very effective at Old Trafford.
    Fair enough but when you look at their form since Christmas they have only played a couple of top ten sides and have lost at home to both Swansea and Southampton and drew away with Stoke, West Ham and Spurs. They haven't beaten a top ten side since Christmas and we are now in March. The teams they have beaten you would expect them to beat, Burnley, Leicester, Sunderland, QPR and they had a decent win last week against Newcastle away. Overall though they have struggled to look good since Christmas and I'm not convinced that defense will hold up against a team like Arsenal. I'm not even including their FA Cup games there and they haven't looked great on occasion against poorer sides in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Will paddy power pay out on a 3-0 win if Arsenal don't turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It'll be hoofball won't it? Giroud and Fellaini as the target men.

You might be right with Fellaini but Giroud prefers the ball to his feet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fair enough but when you look at their form since Christmas they have only played a couple of top ten sides and have lost at home to both Swansea and Southampton and drew away with Stoke, West Ham and Spurs. They haven't beaten a top ten side since Christmas and we are now in March. The teams they have beaten you would expect them to beat, Burnley, Leicester, Sunderland, QPR and they had a decent win last week against Newcastle away. Overall though they have struggled to look good since Christmas and I'm not convinced that defense will hold up against a team like Arsenal. I'm not even including their FA Cup games there and they haven't looked great on occasion against poorer sides in the cup.

The recent loss to Swansea was in Wales. There hasn't been any drop off since Christmas, they've struggled to look good all season. Even during the wins at Arsenal and Swansea and at home to Liverpool they were awful. The simple fact though is that at Old Trafford, Utd generally win.
    That's not to say they will win tonight, but the idea that if Arsenal turn up all guns blazing they'll roll Utd over simply doesn't live up to reality.

I would have thought that Sir Alex leaving David Moyes/LVG with a comparably weaker team than previous years would be ye're prime excuse tbh nothing to do with mental block you are talking about.

I would have thought that Sir Alex leaving David Moyes/LVG with a comparably weaker team than previous years would be ye're prime excuse tbh nothing to do with mental block you are talking about.

That would be part of the reason rather than an excuse (such as a 'mental block'). Don't worry, lots of people have difficulty with the subtle difference between these two words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Expecting another tactical masterclass from Louis with Fellaini upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's very poor show by the BBC to force this game to be played on a Monday evening. No consideration of the travel plans of the thousands that have to make their way there and back. I really hope the Arsenal support outsings that of United. With the increased allowance given to away fans in the cup it is a real possibility. If they really get behind the team it could be a decisive factor that contributes to an away win.

It's been a pretty poor 6th round so far with Villa as top (and only scorers) so hopefully this game will save the round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm staying well away from this match thread its a car crash, that is of course unless Arsenal win then I'll gladly contribute to that, but not until I'm sure the win is completely wrapped up

That would be part of the reason rather than an excuse (such as a 'mental block'). Don't worry, lots of people have difficulty with the subtle difference between these two words.

Care to expand on the other part of the reason for the Utd team being the way it is? You'll have to explain it very slowly as us Arsenal fans as we aren't obsessed about ye as others are.

I'm not worried :o Though I do appreciate the links to the explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

This 'turning up' excuse and mental block for utd is such a load of bolloxology.

Turning up is the worst. Where do you expect them to go? I know in being literal but they don't just all sit down on the pitch or start taking selfies
    Arsenal fans covering their arses should they lose

You do realise that it isnt a badge of honour for Arsenal fans?
    Its been thrown at us by almost every other fan for years but when and Arsenal fan says it then its just an excuse :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

Truth is its a very difficult match to call, United generally not playing to the best of their ability but getting results. Arsenal being Arsenal, they can be mediocre or brilliant.

Hopefully home form will be enough to get us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

If Arsenal play 4-1-4-1 . With Coquein screening . 2-0 Arsenal

If Arsenal play 4-2-3-1 keep ball. 3-1 United.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement