Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casio tv Watch

• 07-03-2015 2:00am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember these? I remember watching the QVC shopping channel in late 93 early 94 and wanting one as a kid :D Anyone know where I'd be able too get one?

gadget-watches-casio-tv.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are always a few knocking around on the Bay SD. They're quite popular so can hit 100 euro plus, in mint condition double that, but here's a boxed one in the less seen silver at 150. Worth a punt I'd reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks for that wibbs, are calculator watches still popular?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not really with current folks, but among the vintage digital folks, most definitely. For many and over quite a long time they were the icon watch for many. I've got a fair few years on you :) and I remember them being seen as the bees knees in the late 70's when they first came out and they stayed like that well into the 90's

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The seiko TV watch was impressive for 1982 technology

http://www.guenthoer.de/e-tvwatch.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I have one like new i posted it over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055508118

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not really with current folks, but among the vintage digital folks, most definitely. For many and over quite a long time they were the icon watch for many. I've got a fair few years on you :) and I remember them being seen as the bees knees in the late 70's when they first came out and they stayed like that well into the 90's

As a kid I was obsessed with them! My little brother got one then in 95 for his holy communion, similar to the one below and then my parents whipped out another box and said this is for you, I was so happy :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GB1R7S/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=09CF8614D4QJWFKA18QP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Here's one of my Seiko ones.

2ujtm5l.jpg

Even as a kid I kinda envied the Casio kids, because they didn't need a pin or pen to work their calculators and theirs looked more "modern" and futuristic too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

These were great fun when Miss Dillon brought the tv into class.

She was so confused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Oh i just had flash backs of changing the channels in the pub and extra vision and anywhere else there wqs a tv and no one having a clue what was going on!! Haha

That is one cool looking watch wibbs.

• Advertisement

Thanks SD, you know what's funny, it's one of the very few of my watches that actually gets noticed and in the last year or so, a few folks have asked is it a "smart" watch. I reply; yep, back in the 70's. :D One even asked was it the Apple watch(which shows how much that is in the public mind already).

Its from The 70's? Looks like a very modern watch too be honest :D I even went looking for it there online :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Not a calculator watch but does anyone remember the fm (or am?) lcd radio watches that Maxol gave away in the early 80's in exchange for tokens? Probably a low cost item at the time but as a youngfla growing up, I thought it was the height of technology back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Not a calculator watch but does anyone remember the fm (or am?) lcd radio watches that Maxol gave away in the early 80's in exchange for tokens? Probably a low cost item at the time but as a youngfla growing up, I thought it was the height of technology back then!

Texaco..I had several back in the day, so I supplied most of my class with them!:D

radiowatch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If you think that price is extravagant have a look at this for a limited edition Fossil watch... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Fossil-Watch-Rare-Item-/281160783692 . I might sell mine for a bargain $9k!:pac:

Funny enough BK, dead ones can get 60-100 quid, battered but working examples of this particular model go for 200 quid plus and I've seen NOS examples(this ain't one) with boxes, stylus and manuals go for the price he's asking and a little more, in open auctions too. I've seen NOS of a later model that you rarely see go for well over the grand. Indeed I've been offered 400 dollars by an American dude on WUS when he saw my(close to mint) example on a thread.

The 1970's LED/LCD market is a small but very fervent subgroup of collectors and they will pay good money for good examples of certain sought after models(the Seiko name helps too). Here's a recent example of a 1970's Girard Perregaux LED
    that went for 1700 odd quid and had 67 bids.

Nforce wrote: »
    If you think that price is extravagant have a look at this for a limited edition Fossil watch... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Fossil-Watch-Rare-Item-/281160783692 . I might sell mine for a bargain $9k!:pac:
    I know mad alright, but over 63 people are watching that sale. Clearly there's some interest. You'd be surprised at the oddball watch stuff that can go for crazy money. It also means that a badly described example of such an oddball can come very cheap if you know what you're looking for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

That Perregaux is a pretty unusual piece. Very nice.

Even with a Seiko calculator watch in mint, fully-working condition I still think the asking price is seriously bloated. Especially if you can acquire one (as I have) in as good a condition for a fraction of the price.

But I suppose it is what people will pay for the piece that matters and what they perceive it to be worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Yep. I had a couple. Although seem to remember mine with orange sponge headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did the tv remote ones also function as calculators or do you have to choose?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Did the tv remote ones also function as calculators or do you have to choose?

They did function as calculators too I believe, My older brother actually got one but it wouldn't work with our tv so he returned it :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Wow I had one of those TV remote watch back Feb 96 for my birthday! I searched high and low and its gone. No idea what happened to it.

Amazingly the argos were stocking them up until circa 2008 oodd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They did function as calculators too I believe, My older brother actually got one but it wouldn't work with our tv so he returned it :(.
    Yes I see an equals sign and a decimal point button in your pic now that I look, you've got me craving one of these now damn you :mad:

Actually now that I look all the tv controls double as the + - * / functions.

Wow I had one of those TV remote watch back Feb 96 for my birthday! I searched high and low and its gone. No idea what happened to it.

Amazingly the argos were stocking them up until circa 2008 oodd

Really? Damnit anyway
    Thargor wrote: »
    Yes I see an equals sign and a decimal point button in your pic now that I look, you've got me craving one of these now damn you :mad:

Actually now that I look all the tv controls double as the + - * / functions.

Any chance of buying me one too :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Really? Damnit anyway

Casio really should bring them back. Maybe we should start a petition lol.

Advertisement