Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap wheel set

• 07-03-2015 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    In need of a cheap wheel set that can take SRAM 8 speed, about 100 euro at most. If they come with shimano hubs I would change my cassette to shimano
    Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Shimano/SRAM cassettes/freehubs have the same fitments, so you wouldn't need to change your cassette from SRAM to Shimano for a Shimano hub. However, it's not clear from the post if you are looking for a recommendation, or someone to sell you one (in which case it should be in the adverts forum).

If you want suggestions, you can get variants of the Shimano R500/R501s online within your budget, but I had nothing but broken spokes with a set of them as a heavier rider (90kg for me alone, and commuting with a light pannier). However my GF has had the R500s (same wheel bar the hubs) with no issues, but she's a good deal lighter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I recently bought a set of R501s from CRC for 91 CHF (which is around 80 euro). They came with rim tape and QR skewers and are perfect for my commuter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

cython wrote: »
    Shimano/SRAM cassettes/freehubs have the same fitments, so you wouldn't need to change your cassette from SRAM to Shimano for a Shimano hub. However, it's not clear from the post if you are looking for a recommendation, or someone to sell you one (in which case it should be in the adverts forum).

If you want suggestions, you can get variants of the Shimano R500/R501s online within your budget, but I had nothing but broken spokes with a set of them as a heavier rider (90kg for me alone, and commuting with a light pannier). However my GF has had the R500s (same wheel bar the hubs) with no issues, but she's a good deal lighter!

Thanks, didn't know the had the same fittings. Looking for a set for my commuting bike. Have had 8 broken spokes in a year so something bullet proof. New wheels preferred but seconds if good quality might do.

Was looking at the wheels you suggested as I taught they were strong wheels.
    I only weigh about 70kgs so not sure why I am getting so many broken spokes on it as it was rebuilt by the shop with better spokes.
    Never had a issue with my summer bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

There was actually a discussion on this in the last few days here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94564483

One suggestion that came in a little over your budget was this, which you would get delivered and with rim tape for about 120. I was seriously considering something similar myself in light of my issues, but I was lucky enough to come by a nearly new set of handbuilt wheels, Mavic Open Pros on Shimano 5700 hubs from another poster, so giving them a go.

Now for 70kg, that is almost certainly overkill, and the Shimanos might actually be fine, but the general consensus (and indeed logic) suggests that if you want bombproof, high spoke count is the way to go. However you shouldn't need as bombproof as some of the rest of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Researched this a few months ago and the R501 are the cheapest around.

Fine for winter or general use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thanks for the replys lads, looks like I'll go for that deal on ribble

Advertisement