Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Server Cabinet, Breathable Membrane Needed

Options
  • 07-03-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

In the process of building a cabinet in the attic space to house my NAS, Gaming PC, Satellite boxes, Switch, and possibly a server.
    Have the frame built so far but I would like to cover it in some type of breathable membrane to stop dust getting near it instead of putting sides and a back on it.
    It will never be seen so it doesn't have to be pretty.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

durtybit wrote: »
    breathable membrane to stop dust

First thing that springs to mind for me is to do a search for "air filter panel".

I'd never done anything like this, but is it's an unconverted attic, I'd probably be worried about condensation on the electronics / metal casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have had my nas, routers and other few external hard drives etc running in our unconverted attic for the past three years with absolutely no issues.

They are on thick shelves (lengths of 9x2 12ft lengths) mounted on L brackets to block wall in the attic and rubber washer dampers to reduce vibration/noise. There would be noticable dust on them when i go up there every so often, but not enough to justify a server Cabinet in my case.

I thick you are going the right way about doing it... Filter pad sheets or a roll of breathable membrane from any builder providers will set you back about 30 euro

One thing i would be focusing on would be making sure that server cabinet is up off the attic floor/rafters as you will hear the vibrating in any room below... It will sound like a muffled bathroom extractor fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Access wrote: »
    I have had my nas, routers and other few external hard drives etc running in our unconverted attic for the past three years with absolutely no issues.

They are on thick shelves (lengths of 9x2 12ft lengths) mounted on L brackets to block wall in the attic and rubber washer dampers to reduce vibration/noise. There would be noticable dust on them when i go up there every so often, but not enough to justify a server Cabinet in my case.

I thick you are going the right way about doing it... Filter pad sheets or a roll of breathable membrane from any builder providers will set you back about 30 euro

One thing i would be focusing on would be making sure that server cabinet is up off the attic floor/rafters as you will hear the vibrating in any room below... It will sound like a muffled bathroom extractor fan.

Its a story and a half house with bison slabs so its a concrete base its going onto. I plan to run HDMI cables to wall points which are accessible from the same space, everything else can be used remotely. I did see some of that membrane you mentioned, for roofing I believe. Just wasn't sure of the downsides if any.

There is plenty of ventilation from outside so I guess that membrane can also keep the moisture out

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could seal it fully with perspex or something and just fit two 200m fans on either side, put dust filters on the intake set. Then it would be easy to pull the filter and clean as necessary.

ED E is spot on as well, perspex can be got for around forty euro a sheet, you would prob get away using one sheet and then you would only need to clean two small filters like he says as needed.

The membrane is the roofing one - but is perfectly suitable for your application too.

To be fair though i would lean towards the perspex method if i was going to do it your way... might change my own setup to that!

You are sorted re the concrete floor so... no vibration/hum there and i like your idea about the HDMI cable run. I have two 15 metre HDMI and four cat 6 cables plus 4 coax (two for sat box/one for aerial/one for return to distribution amp in attic to rest of house points, running from attic to main TV point in family room.

It looks like a snake of cables but all needed to be honest and glad i put them in when i could.

If you have not got your long HDMI cables yet, i got mine on amazon for a song.

Would love to see pics of your setup when done. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Think I am going to reuse an old desk instead of spending money. Waiting on a 3u case before proceeding, just purchased it so may need to go back to the drawing board on the design

Think I am going to reuse an old desk instead of spending money. Waiting on a 3u case before proceeding, just purchased it so may need to go back to the drawing board on the design

Do you mind if i ask you where you sourced the 3u case?

Do you mind if i ask you where you sourced the 3u case?

Ebay, by chance a guy from Co Down was selling one. Good timing I guess. £20 for case and 700w psu. Couldn't resist

Patch panel and ethernet wall plates arrived yesterday and sourced solid cable so should be here next week too. Also put a bid on some studio foam panels

Need to figure out how the HDMI wall interface will work. Anyone terminate HDMI to a wall plate before? I know you can buy plates where you push the HDMI into a socket at the back but it will be awful tight in those electrical boxes

Patch panel and ethernet wall plates arrived yesterday and sourced solid cable so should be here next week too. Also put a bid on some studio foam panels

Need to figure out how the HDMI wall interface will work. Anyone terminate HDMI to a wall plate before? I know you can buy plates where you push the HDMI into a socket at the back but it will be awful tight in those electrical boxes

I was going to go the way of a multi connection face plate for behind the tv for the ethernet cables and hdmi (exactly what you were talking about for the hdmi cable) but after talking to an electrician friend of mine, he told me besides the expensive price of them, he has had previous trouble with those just being a pain to fit in drywall boxes and put me on the right track of THIS

41F2FEn9bjL.jpg

I wanted to go the way of having a professional looking couple of face plates but after considering the fact that they are hid behind a floor level tv unit and the electricians advice, the brush faceplate worked perfectly.

There are 4 ethernet cables, 2 HDMI cables, 4 coax cables and one spare cat 6 cable coming out behind the tv and plenty of room for more if needed believe it or not.

• Advertisement

I was going to go the way of a multi connection face plate for behind the tv for the ethernet cables and hdmi (exactly what you were talking about for the hdmi cable) but after talking to an electrician friend of mine, he told me besides the expensive price of them, he has had previous trouble with those just being a pain to fit in drywall boxes and put me on the right track of THIS

41F2FEn9bjL.jpg

I wanted to go the way of having a professional looking couple of face plates but after considering the fact that they are hid behind a floor level tv unit and the electricians advice, the brush faceplate worked perfectly.

There are 4 ethernet cables, 2 HDMI cables, 4 coax cables and one spare cat 6 cable coming out behind the tv and plenty of room for more if needed believe it or not.

I've seen those thanks, cant put my finger on why I am not taking to them though

Advertisement