Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know... Podge83

Options
  • 07-03-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

My time in the hot seat is up!

Few questions to get started:

- what was your route into tri?
    - what's your strongest discipline?
    - targets for this year?
    - coffee or tea?
    - chocolate or crisps?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Favorite flavour of crisps?
    Why do you all out your year of birth in your usernames?
    Fave discipline? (as opposed to strongest)
    Fave training session?
    Ever done any other sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

How long have you been in tri?
    How long did it take you to get to a level you're happy with?
    Member if a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

RJM85 wrote: »
    My time in the hot seat is up!

Few questions to get started:

- targets for this year?
    - coffee or tea?
    - chocolate or crisps?

OK yiz might get to know me a bit better.

Its very circuitous and somewhat accidental. At a Christmas party some time ago I took on a drunken bet with the boss and a few others that I wouldn't be able to lose 2 stone by Easter. I was in a fairly sh1tty place generally and took on the bet. Next day realised that there was no getting out of it. Looked at what I was eating and improved a few things and took to exercise - basically running. Lost 3 stone by Easter and the boss and the rest of them had their pockets lightened a bit ( all went to charity - about stg£700.00 - I was in England at the time). Decided to run the marathon the following October. Kept up the running after that.

After a few quiet years (meeting wife and building my house (back in Ireland at this stage)) took up the running again and improved to not a bad standard for my age. Running was taking its toll injury wise so I started "cross training" on the bike and in the pool.

Saw the first Rosslare Triathlon (which is local) billed and thought I'd give it a shot. Borrowed a Tri suit and Wetsuit and had a go. Mind you I'm surprised that didn't frighten me off when I saw the seas that morning. Got into the water, struggled to finish the swim in 4th last place and enjoyed the rest of it finishing about 15th from memory (must check that).

Definitely the run.

- targets for this year?

Compete in my age group. Target races are Dunmore East, Athlone Half distance and Caroline Kearney (I have unfinished business there after a dq last year) - I will do a few more but these are the ones I will be aiming for. Main target is to get a good time in Athlone.

If I'm feeling good towards In August I might have another go at the Dublin Marathon in October. I find though that you cant train for Triathlon and Running so if I do it will mean an early end to the Tri Season.

- coffee or tea?

Coffee early in day Tea later

- chocolate or crisps

Chocolate!!! - Currently off Coffee and Chocolate for Lent. (not so much a religious thing but a bit of a challenge as I was having too much of both lately)

Favorite flavour of crisps?
    Why do you all out your year of birth in your usernames?
    Fave discipline? (as opposed to strongest)
    Fave training session?
    Ever done any other sports?

Favorite flavour of crisps? Salt and Vinegar.

Why do you all out your year of birth in your usernames? I'd love it if 83 was my year of birth - unfortunately I was 18 in 1983.

Fave discipline - good question - probably the Cycle (except for going down hills - don't like descending).

Fave training session? - I do enjoy any running interval session but my favourite session is probably a power session given to me my a well known coach who I got a few tips from. 10 mins wu. 10 mins with 3 x 10 secs at max effort followed by 5 x 10 mins incl 4 mins at 265w, 4 mins at 280w and 2 mins at 320w repeated without recovery. I can always judge what sort of form I'm in by how I feel when I finish that!

Ever done any other sports? - Not really - wasn't any good at football - too awkward. Just didn't get on to teams so fell out of team sports altogether to my Fathers behest. Ironically I did Cycle and swim a bit when I was in school. When I got to drinking age all sport participation fell by the wayside - big mistake but there's no point in crying too much about it now.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    How long have you been in tri?
    How long did it take you to get to a level you're happy with?
    Member if a club?

How long have you been in tri? - First Triathlon was Rosslare in 2012.

How long did it take you to get to a level you're happy with? - It took me two years to get to a standard where I started to feel that is was performing well. Not yet happy with where its at (although at the moment things seem to be going backwards).

Member if a club - yes - Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

What are you riding now? (Bike wise)

If you won the Lotto, what would you be riding then? (Again, bike wise)

Tides Gastropub or The Bay?

Favourite go to Turbo tune?

Rosslare 10k PB?

Will you do the du, on the 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Married?
    Kids?

pointer28 wrote: »
    What are you riding now? (Bike wise)

If you won the Lotto, what would you be riding then? (Again, bike wise)

Tides Gastropub or The Bay?

Favourite go to Turbo tune?

Rosslare 10k PB?

Will you do the du, on the 29th?

What are you riding now? (Bike wise) - I have 2 bikes in total - the "garden gate" is a KTM Strada 2000. Not a bad bike (my first Tri season and the limited few races I did the year before were raced on it). It's in need of work - the chain is stretched beyond belief and, like me, despite oiling is as stiff as a board. Must get it done this week!

The TT is a Specialized Shiv which I got last year. Love the bike. I picked up a nearly new pair of "faux" Zipp 808s over the Winter. From the limited use I have had with these they seem to perform well. Time will tell.

If you won the Lotto, what would you be riding then? (Again, bike wise) - I'm not an anorak on bikes but I have seen a few nice shiny yokes around the place. Either a nice S-Works Shiv or a Cervelo P5 - that's one that catches the eye!!

Tides Gastropub or The Bay? I don't frequent either - I'm more of a Marty B's in Killurin man meself. I do like to go out with No1 lady for a bite (which is a rare occurrence for one reason or another) but it could be anywhere!!

Favourite go to Turbo tune? - I have a playlist of about 15 or so albums on the I-pod which I set to Shuffle and whatever of those comes along - I enjoy the element of surprise!!. Particular favourites are The Stone Roses "This is the one" or "I am the resurrection" or The Charlatans "Blackened Blue eyes". In a total departure I sometimes stick on Guns and Roses greatest hits - love it when November Rain comes on!!

Rosslare 10k PB? - Only did this once with one thing and another coming along. Cant remember the time. My 10k PB was in Enniscorthy 3 years or so ago (34.45)

Will you do the du, on the 29th? - I will be doing a du on the 29th. Its an unfortunate clash - I'd love to do Rosslare but also intended to do the National Champs. Both are on the same day. If I fell in good form I'll head to Ennis - If not I will head to Rosslare. I'd really love to do Rosslare with the amount of local faces who are doing it - and it seems to be planned, publicised and set up well!! We'll see.......

tunney wrote: »
    Married?
    Kids?

Married? - 12 years married to No. 1 Lady

Kids? - two - 11 year old Girl and 8 year old Boy - A gentleman's family but most say I'm no Gent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Podge83 wrote: »
    "I am the resurrection"

Oh yes, I could listen to that all day.

In fact, I've nothing else to do this afternoon so time to dig out the headphones :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Do you remember where u were September 96??

Liam Dunne.... yay or nay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi Podge,

Whats a winter swim week look like for you?
    Best ever swim part of a Tri race?
    Fethard-on-Sea... "A great place to swim" or a dangerous backwater;)
    How far can you swim underwater on one breath?
    Flat courses or hilly?
    Ever run an IMRA or mountain race?

Cheers!

pot p wrote: »
    Do you remember where u were September 96??

Liam Dunne.... yay or nay??

Do you remember where u were September 96?? - I do vividly. I was in a dark sh1tty place!!

I know that's not what you were referring to though. I did watch the 1996 AI Hurling Final on the TV in England (Channel 4 used to show it). Although firmly ensconced in the Model now I don't hail from here - I'm originally from The smoke!! In September 1995 I was on Cnoc a se deag for a temporary release!! The 83 in my username relates to the AI win before that (and not my age)!!

Liam Dunne.... yay or nay?? - This year's Championship will be make or break I think and will be the deciding factor on this good question!!

I'd risk it to say that I'm in the yay camp. Things have been improving. At least they have more prominence than the footballers and are going some way to establishing Wexford Hurling again and last years Champo performances were surely and improvement.

Problem with the Championship is that you just don't get enough games if things aren't going good - a system that needs to change dramatically, but wont while the GAA hierarchy are so afraid of change that if they were representative of society in general we would all still be hunting and fishing for our dinner - there certainly wouldn't be any nice shiny TT bikes around!!

This year the start in the league has been a bit mixed - Div1B is not the same measure of test as Div1A. Bizarrely, probably their best result has been the 1 point loss to Limerick!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hi Podge,

Whats a winter swim week look like for you?
    Best ever swim part of a Tri race?
    Fethard-on-Sea... "A great place to swim" or a dangerous backwater;)
    How far can you swim underwater on one breath?
    Flat courses or hilly?
    Ever run an IMRA or mountain race?

Cheers!

Whats a winter swim week look like for you? - Trust Kurt to find my Achilles heel!!. Swimming is the area that I surely need to work on and last year swimming in general was a disaster. Major Calf Cramping issues! This year that problem has improved and my weeks targets at the moment would be: 4 swims, 1) 3k including 2k with paddles, 2) 2k easy concentrating on form, 3) 3k with either 10 - 15 x 100 or 10 x 200 or a 1500 time trial every few weeks to gauge progress and 4) building to a 4k endurance swim. Usually get out of the week with around 10k overall.

Best ever swim part of a Tri race? Most satisfying was Lost Sheep last year as it came at the end of a season where I couldn't get to Olympic length without cramping - wasn't very fast but getting through was a huge achievement for me!. Was having a great swim at CK until cramp stopped me in my tracks 200m from the "Vodafone" banner. Ended up struggling backwards to a kayak to get it stretched out - lost a lot of time as a result - mind you didn't matter as I managed to get a DQ later on!! Happened me too at Kilkee - Kayaks there were much better and over like a flash to give me a stretch out. Had a good swim in Rosslare in 2013 after my "baptism of fire" the year before!

Fethard-on-Sea... "A great place to swim" or a dangerous backwater;) - only ever swam there the once when I had the pleasure of your company in Tri The Hook last year (will they ever have a full length swim??). It strikes me as a great place to swim but I don't have local knowledge!! Most of my OW practice is in Rosslare.

How far can you swim underwater on one breath? - I don't know - I'll go and try tomorrow and report back!!

Flat courses or hilly? Presuming you're gone off swimming here ;-), I like getting into a good rhythm on a flat run or cycle course but I do like a few hills and can climb reasonably well but don't like a steep downhill, especially if it's wet!!!

Ever run an IMRA or mountain race? - No but I will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hi

name 4 people you would like to have for dinner and why?
    whats your favorite historic sporting moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi,
    What would be your death row meal with all the trimmings?
    That turbo session you posted, are the numbers a % of FTP or how were they determined?
    What's a typical training week for you this time of year?
    Do the kids partake in sports?
    If so, did you steer them towards any specific sports?
    If so, do you get involved coaching or otherwise or just support them?
    5k 8k 10k HM and marathon pbs?

P.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hi

whats your favorite historic sporting moment?

1) Paula Radcliffe - I have serious admiration for Radcliffe. It'd be great to talk about her dealing with the setbacks she had. I'd ask why she didn't switch to the Marathon sooner when track racing on the world stage simply wasn't her best asset. I think it was Brendan Foster who said that in some of those 10,000m races where she led for 24 laps to be beaten in the last lap that she may have been beaten if she only had to join in for the last lap. Without doubt the greatest female marathon runner of all time though. Her strongest tactic was to attempt to outrun and lead from the start - that can be a painful way to win races but it was her way!

2) Ian Brown (Stone Roses front man) - I've always loved the music and it would be great to talk to him about the antics while they were waiting for their legal wranglings to be sorted out before the release of the second album - I'd say he'd be good craic too!!

3) Dave Scott - Arguably the greatest triathlete of all time. I'd love to talk to him about Kona in 1989 (Iron War). I know he didn't win that day but I'd say you'd get better conversation from him than you would with Mark Allen!

4) Jose Mourinho - What fun that would be!!

Favourite Historic Sporting Moment. - Must be USA 94 when Ireland Beat Italy. I'll never forget those last few minutes when (unlike the morning of a triathlon when the hours take minutes), the minutes took hours!!! Coming close second would be the 1983 All Ireland Semi Final (Dublin/ Cork) or the 1999 European Cup Final in Barcelona. On both occasions the team I was supporting scored in the last seconds to change certain defeat to victory (or eventual victory). I suppose I pick these because I was at all three. Kona 1989 would have been special too.

This deserves a mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lmoi99xky8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Podge!

One piece or two piece tri suit? And why?
    When on the bike, do you drink with your right or left hand?
    Most embarrasing moment in a race or while training?
    Sporting accomplishment you are most proud of?
    How many hours a week on average do you train? And please break it down by discipline.
    Any tattoos? If so, of what and where?
    What are your pet peeves?
    What are your annoying habits?
    Do you snore?
    How many pairs running shoes do you own? And how many of those pairs are in a current rotation of use?
    Are all your race medals/awards/bling stored away, or on public display?
    What would your perfect weekend look like?

Oops! I forgot this....

Have you ever done an iron distance tri? If so, which one(s) and what was your time, broken down by discipline. If not, then have you any interest in doing one? And what would your goal time be (obviously somewhat dependent on the course), broken down by discipline?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hi,
    What would be your death row meal with all the trimmings?
    That turbo session you posted, are the numbers a % of FTP or how were they determined?
    What's a typical training week for you this time of year?
    Do the kids partake in sports?
    If so, did you steer them towards any specific sports?
    If so, do you get involved coaching or otherwise or just support them?

P.

What would be your death row meal with all the trimmings? Chicken Fajitas as made my Mrs Podge

That turbo session you posted, are the numbers a % of FTP or how were they determined? - They were determined as a % of FTP. I didn't work them out myself but gave my FTP (315 at the time). Doing the session now based on same levels but FTP probably lower at moment - hopefully it will be higher in 6 weeks or so time. The caviat on these figures is the calibration of the Turbo power meter!!??!!

What's a typical training week for you this time of year? - This time of the year I aim at a regular long effort and a regular quality effort for each sport with easier sessions as recoveries. The swimming would be as laid out above, Running about 45 miles including a good long run every second week, a track session and a tempo run. Cycling would include a good long cycle alternating with the long run, the turbo session as discussed or a time trial and a few easier sessions. I had been trying the long run and long cycle in the same weekend but this just led to tiredness!!

Do the kids partake in sports? - Kids do partake in sports. They are still changing around but both do Gymnastics and swim with athletics in the Summer. Daughter did try hockey and football but didn't enjoy it. Son plays Rugby - he likes the training more than the matches (or Blitzes as they are called).

If so, did you steer them towards any specific sports? - I haven't steered them specifically but did initially bring son to Hurling and Daughter to football - both hated both. Persevered for a while but forcing them to do something that they don't want to is no good. They will find what they enjoy in good time. Drawback is a growing cupboard full of unused sports equipment!!

If so, do you get involved coaching or otherwise or just support them? - I do a bit of coaching for the Athletics during the Summer. Take them whenever I have to - shared load with Mrs Podge. Training must be juggled and shoe horned in wherever!!

5k - TBH I'm not sure. Its a distance which I rarely raced as a standalone race. From memory around 17 minutes odd a few years ago.

8k (5 Miles) - 27.27
    10k - 34.45
    HM - 1.16
    Marathon - 2.43

Did have two goes at sub 2.40 in London (2011 and 2012) and always maintain that it was achievable but both efforts were scuppered - one ended in a Portaloo, one ended with a bust Calf - managed to finish both eventually in 2.46.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How's it going Podge,

Whats the goal and plan for this season??

Best race to date???

Any races on the bucket list?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Podge!

One piece or two piece tri suit? And why?
    When on the bike, do you drink with your right or left hand?
    Most embarrasing moment in a race or while training?
    Sporting accomplishment you are most proud of?
    How many hours a week on average do you train? And please break it down by discipline.
    Any tattoos? If so, of what and where?
    What are your pet peeves?
    What are your annoying habits?
    Do you snore?
    How many pairs running shoes do you own? And how many of those pairs are in a current rotation of use?
    Are all your race medals/awards/bling stored away, or on public display?
    What would your perfect weekend look like?

One piece or two piece tri suit? And why? - I'm a one piecer for most races. My mindset (rightly or wrongly) is that the one piece will stay in place better (once a seam doesn't come undone somewhere!!). I do tend to wear tri shorts and a t-shirt or running top for some duathlons.

When on the bike, do you drink with your right or left hand? - Right Hand

Most embarrassing moment in a race or while training? - Oh Jesus.... This one is easy. I was racked before a certain race which I wont say because someone may identify this. Beside me was a certain top 10 athlete with quite a shiny bike .. Cervelo I think - anyway I'd say no change from 5k and maybe not much from 10k. The way transition was set up the first row was advantageous and the rack was set up for a row of bikes back to back. Everyone racked one side and the rack was unstable. I saw a fella across the way that I knew, decided to dip under the bar to go over to say hello and as I dipped under the whole lot fell over (maybe 100 bikes) domino style. Now I stress that this wasn't my fault. I stood up and everyone looked at me as if to say WTF?? Anyway, there was a fair bit of bike inspecting and the fella beside me was crying while looking for scratches.

Oh and I fell off the treadmill once - that was funny, but not for me!!

Sporting accomplishment you are most proud of? - Winning the National Bronze Medal (AG) in the Marathon in 2010.

How many hours a week on average do you train? - And please break it down by discipline. - 15 to 16 hours per week although now reducing by a few hours to introduce more quality work. Most time spent cycling followed by running followed by swimming. Always intend to do more gym strength work but struggle to find the time.

Any tattoos? If so, of what and where? - No.

What are your pet peeves? - Drafting. Blocking. Bullsh1tters. Giving up when you can go on!! Not respecting others property. Not respecting someone still out on a race course when you are finished.

What are your annoying habits? - I'm not good at remembering peoples names. Don't always listen when I should.

Do you snore? - I don't think so

How many pairs running shoes do you own - And how many of those pairs are in a current rotation of use? Five in current use - two general training pairs, two racing pairs (one longer distances, one shorter), one pair of spikes. There are maybe three or four other pairs on their way to the bin.

Are all your race medals/awards/bling stored away, or on public display? - Mainly stored away. A few on display upstairs in spare room.

What would your perfect weekend look like? - Run with a clubmate on Friday evening. A glass on wine or two Friday Night. Up early on the bike on Saturday Morning. Saturday afternoon with family - maybe take the kids for a swim. Sunday run early and rest of day with family. This moves around if its my turn to take son to Rugby practice on Saturday. We have a big garden so in the spring/ summer the pressure is on to keep control of it. Like to get out when I can for a few pints but its rare these days. Finding the right mix isn't easy!!

Oops! I forgot this....

Have you ever done an iron distance tri? If so, which one(s) and what was your time, broken down by discipline. If not, then have you any interest in doing one? And what would your goal time be (obviously somewhat dependent on the course), broken down by discipline?

Haven't done Iron Distance yet. Was intending to go long this year but cant until I'm clear of my swim cramping problem. When I can regularly swim 4k with no issues I'll take another serious look.

I have an interest in doing one and feel capable of it but don't want to be pulled out of the water with cramp.

If I do one it will probably the Hardman in Killarney. Goal time would be 10.30 - 1.15 swim, 6.00 bike, 3.15 run. Will have to make in-roads somewhere to cover transitions. these are ambitious but why not?!?

Great answers ^^^!!!

But one more question if I may....

Why "Podge"?

joey100 wrote: »
    How's it going Podge,

Whats the goal and plan for this season??

Best race to date???

Any races on the bucket list?

Whats the goal and plan for this season?? - Be Competitive in AG. Targets -Dunmore East in June, Athlone Half distance in July and Caroline Kearney in August - DQ last year so must make up for that.

Main target in these is Athlone.

If I'm feeling good after CK I will do Dublin Marathon in October.

Best race to date??? - Assuming this is limited to Tri It would be either Beast of the East 2013 or Lost Sheep 2014. It would be BOE except someone put the turning cone in the wrong position on the run course shortening it by about a mile - I ran out of road and missed out on AG win be 15 seconds or so. With the full course I feel that I could have got it as I was running strong then. Lost Sheep last year is a special one though.

Any races on the bucket list? - not really - wanted to do Kilkee and Kenmare and did those last year. Love to go long but need to sort out my swim cramping problem - see above ^^^ Any Full distance race would do me!!

Great answers ^^^!!!

But one more question if I may....

Why "Podge"?

Its a nickname I got when young and it stuck. Some people who know me don't even know my real name!!

Anyway its Podge because I maybe carried a bit of timber in my day - I was 18 Stone when in my thirties and thought sh1t - must do something about this - finally kick started on the road to a bit of fitness when I was challenged to a bet to lose weight - see post 4 above for full story^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Anyone on here you'd love to beat in a sprint finish at a race?
    Do you work with a coach?
    What's your favourite distance to race - running, tri or otherwise?
    Do you not think given your run & bike ability that 10:30 is a bit soft a target?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Anyone on here you'd love to beat in a sprint finish at a race?
    Do you work with a coach?
    What's your favourite distance to race - running, tri or otherwise?
    Do you not think given your run & bike ability that 10:30 is a bit soft a target?

Anyone on here you'd love to beat in a sprint finish at a race? - At my age I'd love to beat anyone in a sprint finish!!

Do you work with a coach? - No. I do however talk to two or three different coaches, listen to them and put my plan together from there. I talk to several different coached athletes though - the range of differing approaches is very interesting!!

What's your favourite distance to race - running, tri or otherwise? Running would be the Marathon (when properly prepared) Its a few years now since I ran one though! In Tri its the half distance as the proportions of the disciplines suit me!

Do you not think given your run & bike ability that 10:30 is a bit soft a target? - I suppose this question makes sense, but its a good while now since I've ran the times quoted above. Certainly, if I got my cycling and running back to where they were I would want to better that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I should have asked earlier, but seeing as you spent less than a week in the spotlight, I hope you won't mind answering a couple more questions.

How old were you when you ran 2.43?
    Where was it?
    Was it before or after your London Marathons?
    Did you follow any program for that, or any of the other marathons you ran?
    If you did, or if they were different, how did you find it/them?

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    I should have asked earlier, but seeing as you spent less than a week in the spotlight, I hope you won't mind answering a couple more questions.

How old were you when you ran 2.43?
    Where was it?
    Was it before or after your London Marathons?
    Did you follow any program for that, or any of the other marathons you ran?
    If you did, or if they were different, how did you find it/them?

Hey Zico. I thought I got away lightly!!

How old were you when you ran 2.43? - 45

Where was it? - Dublin

Was it before or after your London Marathons? - Before the London Marathons

Did you follow any program for that, or any of the other marathons you ran? If you did, or if they were different, how did you find it/them - I'll answer both of these together - .

I followed a program for all my Marathons. The programmes mainly revolved around increasing mileage up to 3 weeks before and reducing after that. Effort work included tempo runs and intervals - mainly 800's.

Interesting thing - did you ever hear of Yasoo 800's. You do 10 x 800 at the same time as you expect to run the marathon in except minutes and seconds instead on hours and minutes. When you can run ten in 2.43 (Mins/secs) you will be able to do the marathon in 2.43 (hours / mins).

The one difference I tried was going over distance for one of the London Marathons - That did make a psychological difference. will never know if it really helped because other factors intervened. I was on target though until I just had to stop in the plastic box icon11.png

I did run one Marathon without a plan. This was the the London Olympic Test event which I got involved in through a club I was a member of in England. We all had to run in a group at just under 3 hour pace to replicate a group running the planned course following a press truck. Start time was 06:00!!! A great experience but I did find it a bit surreal and surprisingly tough - maybe the programmes work!

Advertisement