Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NVDIA Shield: An Alternative Console for Future FGs?

• 07-03-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

"Using the Nvidia Grid, a subscription based service, users will be able to stream games as well as buy others from the Google Play store. Doom 3, Crysis 3, Portal, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, The Talos Principle, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, The Witcher 3, Dead Rising 2, Metro Last Light Redux, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Batman: Arkham Origins and Ultra Street Fighter 4 are just some of the big names that will be available."

"One of the selling points is that not only will older console games be available, but the latest releases and also some high quality PC games"

"It's not just games, as the Shield will also work as a set-top box, with Android TV apps available. For those who love tech specifications, it has a Tegra X1 processor, sporting 256-bit Maxwell GPU with 3GB of memory. There's a MicroSD slot, a Micro USB 2.0 port, two USB Type-A 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet port, and HDMI port. Initial price is around $199 for the device and controller."

Personally I'm not entirely sold on whether this console will do that well with there being many questions unanswered so far. Will PS4 and Xbone titles perform well enough on the Shield? No word on pad and stick compatibility so far. Will it even be sold in Ireland?

However, since it is half the price of PS4 and Xbone and more focused on gaming than trying to be a universal entertainment like latter two have, colour me interested at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No, because I'm not playing with offline latency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No, because I'm not playing with offline latency.

Oh right. Forgot about that part with the streaming games bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Lol, nVidia has no clue what to do with its Shield brand. Started as a controller for android, ended up being... what, home console? I guess they didnt get the memo after Ouya flopped lol.

Advertisement