Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word files won't in Windows 8.1

Options
  • 07-03-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

A number of important Word files won't open in Windows 8.1.

Error message says that there is a "problem with the contents". The system offers to try and recover the contents but fails to do so because "some parts are missing or invalid".

Somehow or other the title of the file changed. The first word changed from Survey to Sni. I used a Mac before this and understand what is happening here.

Changing back the title of the files does not help either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Condatis wrote: »
    A number of important Word files won't open in Windows 8.1.

Error message says that there is a "problem with the contents". The system offers to try and recover the contents but fails to do so because "some parts are missing or invalid".

Somehow or other the title of the file changed. The first word changed from Survey to Sni. I used a Mac before this and understand what is happening here.

Changing back the title of the files does not help either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Can you go Back to the mac and save it as a word friendly format ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In Word 2011 on the Mac save as a format that whatever version of Word your using on Win8.1 can read. Failing that, print a pdf of the Word file on the Mac, never assume Word files are portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

The Mac, to my great sorrow, is defunct.

There is an typo in my original post - I intended to say that I DON'T understand what is happening.

With a Mac I always felt in control. With a Windows machine I feel that I am being bullied.

NB: I have up-to-date McAfee running and reporting no errors. With the Mac I used Norton: Bliss; compared to this.

Some of the files I will just have to generate again and I will have to live with that - though one of them was a book review and I will have to go back to Page 1 and start flicking through it again to refresh my memory

The principle questions are: how did it happen and how can I prevent it happening again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Condatis wrote: »
    The Mac, to my great sorrow, is defunct.

There is an typo in my original post - I intended to say that I DON'T understand what is happening.

With a Mac I always felt in control. With a Windows machine I feel that I am being bullied.

NB: I have up-to-date McAfee running and reporting no errors. With the Mac I used Norton: Bliss; compared to this.

Some of the files I will just have to generate again and I will have to live with that - though one of them was a book review and I will have to go back to Page 1 and start flicking through it again to refresh my memory

The principle questions are: how did it happen and how can I prevent it happening again?

In fairness the issue here is due to how Office for Mac 2011 saves files. I have seen this issue before. The only solution I could find was to open the document in Office for Mac and save checking all the compatability options.
    I have heard that the Mac pages program can produce docx files that Word doesn't recognise either.
    How many documents are we talking here that are corrupt?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Try upload to google drive then download again as .docx, it may handle the transition correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement