Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeland Season 5 (US Pace) [** Spoilers**]

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Benteke wrote: »
    The finale will go down as one the worse endings to a shows season, A load of shyte

It was quiet rather than high action. But I think it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dusty in here, isnt it?

It would have been hard to beat the suspense of the last few episodes I suppose.
    Feel a little disappointed tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

crafty? he's been made a total fool of by Alison this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Seemed out of character for him to do an extra-judicial killing on one of their own though. Felt like the writers just wanted to wrap up loose ends and an ignominious end for Alison was the easiest way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wow, what a disappointment of a finale that was!

Allison barely featuring and then being offed in a forest off screen instead of being brought to justice. What a cheat!

The annoying journalist...well, who cares really?

Carrie mulling over some bizarre romantic offer by the boss she's never shown any romantic interest in before heading to the hospital to do an R.P McMurphy job on poor Quinn. Except she didn't, because the sun came through the window and then...fade to black.

I'm genuinely upset that such a good season ended in such a banal manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Seemed out of character for him to do an extra-judicial killing on one of their own though.

Saul's done lots of extra-judicial killings (remember Quinn's kill list?) and Alison was no longer one of their own. That plus the personal element, I don't find it surprising at all.

Would have loved to see her escape and make her way to Banana Joe's, though.

• Advertisement

presumably they offed Alison to avoid the embarrassment of a court case that would reveal a mole in the organisation.
    the During "offer" thing was too out-of-leftfield and random imo.
    Sorry to see Quinn go (assuming that he doesn't suddenly wake up) before Carrie snuffs him out with a pillow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone think that the uncertainty regarding Quinn storyline at the end of the last season and this season had anything to do with the actor himself, i.e not committing to another season.

I have recovered from the shock and actually think it was a great season in a lot of ways. Really enjoyed a few episodes, and we should expect the low key finale from them by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

The woman in black reminded me of Rosa Klebb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Her "principles" in opposing American foreign policy and surveillance led to the leak of documents which led to the release of the Islamists from jail which has resurrected their plans to launch the chemical attack. She is completely blinded by ideology while realists like Saul, Carrie and Quinn have to pick up the debris of her naive stupidity.

Ahem.

https://twitter.com/moryan/status/679033968713273344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, thats the second season now they've ended on a relatively low key episode notwithstanding Quinn's fate. Homeland's storylines usually end in a realistic sort of way in the sense that the most likely outcome for a character or plot tends to happen ie, Allison came to a grisly end and not some stylish extraction or execution. Pretty good episode all the same.

Reading the notes on the final episode it states the scenes in the underground station were filmed the day after the Paris attack... wow! How eerily presicient and how amazing that they were still filming in the middle of November while the season was halfway through. The production this season has been excellent with so many stand out moments. I'm glad I stuck with it!

BTW, has there ever been a more prominent yet completely pointless character in TV history like Otto During. I mean... come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Who killed the Alison wan....as she was fairly cut up....but no bulletholes in the back/boot area of the car??

It looked to me it was deliberate that the boot area wasn't shot up
    (Though quiet why Russians were moving a dead body around??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The back\boot area was also riddled with bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

not impressed with this final episode, some shows seem to be doing this where the penultimate episode has most happening and the last episode fizzles out, ie Fargo , Game of Thrones . The Alison story just really seemed to be tying up a loose end which wasn't great considering how much of the story revolved around her. Otto, what was the point of him at all, is this just building for next season? Quinn should have just downed himself as he he planned, his story was dragged out for no purpose at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

PIORUN wrote: »
    not impressed with this final episode, some shows seem to be doing this where the penultimate episode has most happening and the last episode fizzles out, ie Fargo , Game of Thrones . The Alison story just really seemed to be tying up a loose end which wasn't great considering how much of the story revolved around her. Otto, what was the point of him at all, is this just building for next season? Quinn should have just downed himself as he he planned, his story was dragged out for no purpose at all.

How can you say that, Quinn was central to the Sarin attack story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

A bit of a slow episode, but still a lot better then last seasons finale.
    Wow Saul really went dark for that one !! didn't expect it to be the CIA, thought it would be the Russians.
    Sad about Quinn, but not sure about the religious mumbo jumbo thrown in there.
    And yeah Ivan defected..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the sudden ending of Allison was half Saul's payback, and half keeping things quiet. Rather than let her live and have her in custody as a Russian target who could work out a big embarrassment, just disappear her, say she was KIA and the whole thing goes away. They have Ivan already who's not going back to Russia.

There's something underhand about the whole Jonas/During thing. For a start with Jonas being a ringer for Brody - coincidence or was he deliberately placed with Carrie to get close to her?
    A few weeks earlier During is telling Jonas she's a liability, that they'll fire her when her contract ends and then suddenly he's turning around asking her to effectively marry him. Whatever the storyline is supposed to be, it'll probably be a significant arc in the next season.

I'm not sure if there's going to be some major reprieve for Quinn, except maybe in flashbacks or whatever. The series has usually been unsubtle when it comes to things like that. It would be out of form for them to set it up like Carrie is going to let Quinn go and then next season he's suddenly out of the bed and dancing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

I really am amazed at the way Homeland has been able to reinvent itself after the departure of Brody and become a show that is topical and bang up to date with current world affairs and for me one that I would have in the 'must see tv' category. I enjoy these understated finales, it gives you time to think about what has gone on during the season.

A pretty busy episode for Carrie, saving Berlin from the Sarin attack, breaking up with Jonas, Quinn confirming his love and During declaring his and with the occasional mention of Frannie. Clare Danes is great in the role. I found the During declaration came from nowhere, I still think there is something more with him and maybe that will unfold in season 6.

I felt sorry for Alison, she was great TV despite her many flaws, but she did not deserve to be riddled with bullets in the booth of a FSB car crossing the Russian (or maybe Polish) border. I think Saul was out to get her after Ivan probably told how they had worked/manipulated him. I would like to see Miranda Otto be nominated for some awards for her performance.

I found the character Laura to be a bit holier than thou but she was humiliated by the German security services, however she did show some character by saving Numan from deportation. I though it was a bit stupid to keep the laptop in work surely she there was a chance the offices would be raided after Faisal was carted away.

A sad end for Quinn but I came to like his character and it was good to get some backstory about him from Dar Adal.

Roll on Season 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one little goof, 3 and half hours from Berlin to Russia by car....good luck with that!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silverharp wrote: »
    one little goof, 3 and half hours from Berlin to Russia by car....good luck with that!
    To be fair, they say neither where they're coming from or going to. She was taken to the trafficking location and for there it would be 3.5 hours to....somewhere. I'm not sure if they ever said she'd be brought to Russia first.
    It probably is an oversight, but you could claim that she was in Poland being moved into Ukraine, i.e. outside of the EU.

silverharp wrote: »

Kaliningrad maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No opening credits - silent clock treatment? If I'm honest, I found the gunshots in the tunnel slightly confusing - I couldn't really tell where Carrie was aiming, though you'd a fair idea what she was trying to do. Did wonder about a second attack as a plan B, considering the momentum they've put behind Alison over the last few episodes. Seemed unlikely. Much of the rest of the episode was about break ups: Carrie and Jonas, Ivan and Alison, etc. Saul's masterpiece comment...

BND mops up nicely - the hacker Numan had a Nokia phone from way back in the day! In a way, Laura's TV appearance reminded me of Brody's tape. Just in case you didn't think the writers weren't throwing enough shade on the Russians they show human trafficking of underage girls.

Saul means business, we've always known that. Alison was never going to reach the border. Er, Otto's offer..? He's been screening people for years. Poor Quinn.

Given the chapel scenes this year, God might the thinking about church based dead drops.

Hamster love stories...first time for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Roanmore wrote: »
    How can you say that, Quinn was central to the Sarin attack story.
    ah yeah, ****e I forgot that...my memory of it was he was thrown in the back of a truck and then poisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, they say neither where they're coming from or going to. She was taken to the trafficking location and for there it would be 3.5 hours to....somewhere. I'm not sure if they ever said she'd be brought to Russia first.
    It probably is an oversight, but you could claim that she was in Poland being moved into Ukraine, i.e. outside of the EU.

I was thinking at after I posted,I think it was just the way they presented it they didnt say where they were so you assume they are still in Germany

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I lost interest in this series a few episodes ago. I think Saul had just defected. Is it worth finishing? I'm not exactly sure why I lost interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

For a start with Jonas being a ringer for Brody -

:confused:

Jonas is a pretty metrosexual, nothing at all like Brody IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

She said 'it's 3.5 hours to the border'

Then she said 'the next time you see sky it will be Russian.'

Did she intend on switching her over in 3.5 hours without letting her see the sky, or did they intend to drive over 120mph all the way to Kaliningrad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

There's no way Quinn is coming back, right? People were saying that the light flooding the room him and Carrie were in meant he'd live but I presumed she had killed him. I mean even if he does his old character will be completely gone and I can't see what he'd add to the next season. I was devastated though, I love him on the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

There's no way Quinn is coming back, right? People were saying that the light flooding the room him and Carrie were in meant he'd live but I presumed she had killed him. I mean even if he does his old character will be completely gone and I can't see what he'd add to the next season. I was devastated though, I love him on the show!

With that type of cerebral damage it wouldn't be Quinn that would be coming back , it would be a vegetable.

Classic case of the penultimate episode being better than the finale.

Its hard to see Quinn coming back next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I think the sudden ending of Allison was half Saul's payback, and half keeping things quiet. Rather than let her live and have her in custody as a Russian target who could work out a big embarrassment, just disappear her, say she was KIA and the whole thing goes away. They have Ivan already who's not going back to Russia.

There's something underhand about the whole Jonas/During thing. For a start with Jonas being a ringer for Brody - coincidence or was he deliberately placed with Carrie to get close to her?
    A few weeks earlier During is telling Jonas she's a liability, that they'll fire her when her contract ends and then suddenly he's turning around asking her to effectively marry him. Whatever the storyline is supposed to be, it'll probably be a significant arc in the next season.

doubt it, During was just a bit of red herring i think, he was putting Jonas off her so they'd completely break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Alison willingly gets into the boot of an FSB car knowing she is disposable ..........yeah right !
    Quinn goes around Berlin popping any Muslim sympathizers as if the BND will never investigate !
    A few weak points but I think but it was way better than the last series. The topicality gives it the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Warched the last three episodes one after the other into the small hours last night. So glad I didn't have to wait the week between them! I'm still thinking about it. Wouldn't mind watching it again. That Alison got her comeuppance. Couldn't believe it was Saul though he could hardly leave her to the Russians with all the info she has. I think she was grasping at straws by the time she got to the halfway house but didn't realise it till she got there. Tried one last time to throw her weight around with the doc treating her though i think she knew the game was up.
    Saul has a habit of leaving people in situations where they end up committing suicide. Wasn't there someone at Langley (or the off record investigation place) a few series ago. Killed himself with spectacle glass or something.
    I think they ended it so that could be it, the end or they could start another series. Will Saul ever retire?
    The Otto situation is strange. He seems to be some sort of higher being, no weaknesses, had plenty chance to seduce Carrie or take advantage of her but didn't. I think he sees a better world and he's choosing his people to help create it. He is the pupeteer. This is not good at all. I think he may have played the American journalist or gave her enough rope anyway & she did exactly as he wanted. Haven't fully figured that bit out yet. She seemed so childish or something when with him. Interesting point mentioned above about her being idealistic, parallel with the extremists. All the damage that happens, lives destroyed, people die. And on it goes over and over.
    I think they should stop now. It was good & I loved every series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

So, who was targeting Carrie in the attack. ? That got lost on the hunt to find the Berlin terrorist cell. BTW, Laura is pretty easy on the eye as well.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

recipio wrote: »
    So, who was targeting Carrie in the attack.

Alison....to cover up any possibility of Carrie finding out info from the hacked files linking her time in Iraq to her being recruited to Russians

(The Iraq lad who was supposedly killed and turned up alive in Holland)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just finished the last three episodes last night and am very impressed with the season. Lots of smart tension filled moments, not knowing what was going to be the result.

With the Russian intro this season, I think it would be smart to focus on that angle for the next season. Ivan could have a big part to play, with keeping the series fresh from previous storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Is it just me, but several of the Homeland series, particularly the first and the last were brilliant, with graduallyescalting tension, leading to the last episode. But in both cases I felt the series finale was a real let down, seemed to end in a whimper rather than the bang that the lead in promised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I started watching Homeland for the first time just before Christmas, flew through the 5 seasons.

It's a great show with great characters, couldn't say any of them are particularly likeable people. Saul is a giant asshole, Carry seems addicted to danger, and Quinn is an absolute fool for letting everybody use him like that. He was the one character I felt sorry for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I kind of stopped paying attention after the attack was foiled. Did Quinn say in his letter he wouldn't want to live if anything like that happened? Did Carrie kill him. Must have been half asleep watching it.

Favourite moment was Alison telling Saul the attack was taking place in the airport. I can't be the only one who said out loud "You ****ing bitch!"

Advertisement