Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

Great episode barring the ridiculous crowd saving SG scene. Cheese central

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think next week's Flash might actually be the one that sort of overlaps with the Supergirl episode. But the Supergirl ep won't spoil the Flash one at all really.

unfortunately flash wont be back til the 19th of April another break noooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

5star02707 wrote: »

Aye saw that, American TV is godawful at scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

5star02707 wrote: »

Worse, Arrow isn't back til the 27th, it'll give me time to catch up, watching on sky.

Supergirl
    Finale
    Photos: Alex and Hank Return (And So Does Eliza Danvers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

not a bad episode barring the ridiculous special appearance lasting no more than 10 seconds. I do like Max Lorde and Cat Grant but the nature of the conflict and all the talk of hope , this week, got a bit tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah pretty decent episode. Cat has changed a lot over the season. I think she knows that Kara is SG (again) - she had a look on her face when they hugged.

Finale next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Good job she entered the correct cancel command into the computer with her fist.

The talk of hope reminded me too much of Once Upon a Time.

At least we got a Superman appearance. Kind of

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Good job she entered the correct cancel command into the computer with her fist.

The talk of hope reminded me too much of Once Upon a Time.

At least we got a Superman appearance. Kind of

I always wondered if smashing a console would actually stop a launch?! I know it's tv and it makes for a cool scene (to those who wouldn't even question it like us), but i'd be in the same frame of mind that a certain combination would need to be entered!

And the talk of Hope, considering she wears a symbol that means hope on her chesticles, it was bound to be overused at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So the resolution to Myriad was stupid and didn't make any sense, the resolution to Kara vs. Alex was stupid and clichéd, no sign of Superman, and the space rescue was stupid at the end.

But you know what? I don't care. It was still a very entertaining episode! I just needed to switch my brain off (more than usual) and enjoy the show. The final fight was well done and Peter Facinelli did good work too.

Bring on season 2.

So to destroy the signal that was being beamed to the satellites, she moves the signal closer to the satellite.

And they were lucky Non's entire army were in their pods.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    So the resolution to Myriad was stupid and didn't make any sense, the resolution to Kara vs. Alex was stupid and clichéd, no sign of Superman, and the space rescue was stupid at the end.

But you know what? I don't care. It was still a very entertaining episode! I just needed to switch my brain off (more than usual) and enjoy the show. The final fight was well done and Peter Facinelli did good work too.

Bring on season 2.

Pretty much this.

Also this is just amazing http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2016/03/an-open-letter-to-supergirl-stars-melissa-benoist-and-chyler-leigh-from-an-adoptive-mom/

what a terrible episode. The fights were a let down and the space bit v similar to the Batman v Superman cr@ptastic boss fight. The writing on this show is v weak.

Mr E wrote: »

Bring on season 2.

It was so bad, it was good :p
    But i wonder about Maxwell Lord, he is under used as a 'baddie' & no doubt who was in the pod, Superman's ugly sister:confused:
    as she looked shocked, lol

Here's 'Hoping' for a 2nd season:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I enjoyed the episode and am willing to remove my brain before watching it but in this episode one thing really bugged me.

When Supergirl decides she has to fly Fort Rozz into space she knows it is a suicide mission because she won't be able to breath. Now, I'm no Superman expert but I'm pretty sure he regularly flies around in space and even goes to other planets. So, does Supergirl require oxygen while he doesn't??

Yeah that bugged me out too. For a show that is all about women being equal to men that is quite an oversight. Perhaps superman can only breathe as far as the stratosphere?

None of Superman's powers are ever fixed from one version to another. Byrne's Superman could hold his breath in space for an hour, that was it. Most movie versions of Superman have shown him flying in the upper atmosphere but no indication that he could go further. Additionally it could be that Kara can go into space for longer periods, she just hasn't trained for it, like holding your breath while swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭Penn

None of Superman's powers are ever fixed from one version to another. Byrne's Superman could hold his breath in space for an hour, that was it. Most movie versions of Superman have shown him flying in the upper atmosphere but no indication that he could go further. Additionally it could be that Kara can go into space for longer periods, she just hasn't trained for it, like holding your breath while swimming.

Plus in the Reeve Superman movies, he can fly in space and fight on the moon, yet in Superman 3 the baddies manage to get him in a plastic bubble and he can't breathe...

I don't think fighting on the moon counts, since wasn't that Superman IV: The one we don't mention? :)
    And the bubble was laced with Kryptonite, if I remember correctly

I don't think fighting on the moon counts, since wasn't that Superman IV: The one we don't mention? :)

Ooooh, Superman IV and Supergirl(1984) There's a double bill you'd need a few drinks to get through.:)

• Advertisement

Without the Supergirl movie, Kara wouldn't have a mother in this series

Without the Supergirl movie, Kara wouldn't have a mother in this series

I'm not sure she adds that much to the series tbh. Same for Dean Cain as her father.

The shot of her sister squeezed into a spaceship that was built for a baby still makes me chuckle.

The shot of her sister squeezed into a spaceship that was built for a baby still makes me chuckle.

I wonder how she got Supergirl back to Earth seeing as how there was no room in the ship and she didn't appear to have a space suit. I guess she must have just rammed into her, leaving her splayed across the nose of the ship and ploughed on back down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm guessing Cat Grant's totally sussed that Kara and Supergirl are the same person at this point. Only thing that explains the sudden "promotion" at the end. I did notice Kara was being quite careless around Cat in the previous episode, greeting her with same "Ms Grant!" she always does when out of costume and giving away that she was friends with Wynn and Jimmy. Also Cat now knows that Supergirl is friends with a shape shifter so she has an explanation for seeing Kara and Supergirl in the same place at the same time.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I wonder how she got Supergirl back to Earth seeing as how there was no room in the ship and she didn't appear to have a space suit. I guess she must have just rammed into her, leaving her splayed across the nose of the ship and ploughed on back down to earth.

Either there was room in the boot or she used a tow-rope :D
    Penn wrote: »
    Plus in the Reeve Superman movies, he can fly in space and fight on the moon, yet in Superman 3 the baddies manage to get him in a plastic bubble and he can't breathe...

Yeah, i Remember when Superman (I. i think) couldn't save Lois Lane as her car went down in the crack in the road due to an earthquake & he flew around the earth backwards so many times to reverse time

If I remember correctly in Superman Returns a large part of the marketing involved Superman floating in space while listening to what's going on on earth.

With so many obvious instances of Superman in space it seems odd that they didn't throw in a line as to why Supergirl can't breath. Also I seem to remember something about Superman getting his power from Earth's yellow sun. So shouldn't Supergirl be more powerful sitting up there sunning herself without all that pesky atmospheric haze.

I don't know why this particular point annoyed me so much. It's not like there aren't a dozen plotholes in every episode of this show. I still really enjoy it though, Melissa Benoist and Calista Flockhart are both fantastic. I think the story of the week is regularly pretty silly but the overall dynamic of the characters and the dialogue is fantastic. I hope it gets a second season and I will definitely watch it if it does.

/puts on nerd specs
    Superman Returns isn't in the Supergirl continuity though (or at least, it's unlikely to be), so Supergirl isn't bound by the rules established in that film. Even if it was, there's a deleted scene from that movie called "Return to Krypton" which fills in the whole bit about Kal going back to find out what happened to his home planet. He has to use a Kryptonian spaceship to do so, and a part of this remained in the finished film when he returns by crashing in that same pod.

So, the Supes in SR cannot breath in space, or cannot survive without breathing forever. Humans *can* survive in the vacuum of space by holding their breath for a limited period of time, so presumably anytime you've seen a movie or TV Superman hovering in space over Earth, he's just holding his breath (or in very limited atmosphere). I guess Supergirl could do this too, she was just a little bit winded from lifting a spaceship into space.

/leaves on nerd specs because they're comfy and my normal specs anyway

Ah, but James has mentioned Superman's Solar Flare power which was only introduced in the New 52 continuity. And in recent issues of Batman & Superman, I think it was, they were investigating an alien murder on the moon where they were talking to each other somehow. Bruce had on a space suit. Superman didn't. If I remember correctly

/puts on nerd specs
    Superman Returns isn't in the Supergirl continuity though (or at least, it's unlikely to be), so Supergirl isn't bound by the rules established in that film. Even if it was, there's a deleted scene from that movie called "Return to Krypton" which fills in the whole bit about Kal going back to find out what happened to his home planet. He has to use a Kryptonian spaceship to do so, and a part of this remained in the finished film when he returns by crashing in that same pod.

So, the Supes in SR cannot breath in space, or cannot survive without breathing forever. Humans *can* survive in the vacuum of space by holding their breath for a limited period of time, so presumably anytime you've seen a movie or TV Superman hovering in space over Earth, he's just holding his breath (or in very limited atmosphere). I guess Supergirl could do this too, she was just a little bit winded from lifting a spaceship into space.

/leaves on nerd specs because they're comfy and my normal specs anyway
    Ah, but James has mentioned Superman's Solar Flare power which was only introduced in the New 52 continuity. And in recent issues of Batman & Superman, I think it was, they were investigating an alien murder on the moon where they were talking to each other somehow. Bruce had on a space suit. Superman didn't. If I remember correctly

Well said. I bow to your superior knowledge and geekdom. From now on I will assume that anything that seems fishy to me must have been explained somewhere in the last 80 years of lore. Which is handy, because now I can go back to just enjoying the characters and Cat's witty dialogue and not have to worry about the pesky plot.

• Advertisement

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly in Superman Returns a large part of the marketing involved Superman floating in space while listening to what's going on on earth.

For him to be able to hear he can't be in space. Has to be some atmosphere to conduct the sound (regardless of oxygen content mind)

Advertisement