Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh no no no, please not another "I can't tell the person I'm in love with my secret" storyline. Arrow thankfully discovered that just letting people in on the secret identity was the best way to make them interesting, The Flash is still kind of figuring that one out (the Patty stuff this season, UGH), and I wish Supergirl could have avoided it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't mind the whole the whole "keeping my secret identity from those close to me" storyline. It's worked with Batman and Spiderman for years and I think its' better than the Flash where a large-room-full of characters know the Flash is Barry. Max Lord is the most interesting character on the show so hopefully they don't keep him in that cell. With this and the flash it is disturbing how the shows grudgingly accept that people should be imprisoned with no trial (and in cells with no toilets!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

excited to see Flash in one of Supergirl's episode ;)

I don't mind the whole the whole "keeping my secret identity from those close to me" storyline. It's worked with Batman and Spiderman for years and I think its' better than the Flash where a large-room-full of characters know the Flash is Barry. Max Lord is the most interesting character on the show so hopefully they don't keep him in that cell. With this and the flash it is disturbing how the shows grudgingly accept that people should be imprisoned with no trial (and in cells with no toilets!).

Reflects current American policy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like there will be a Supergirl/Flash crossover: "Worlds finest". It's been suggested the lack of apostrophe in "Worlds" indicates it'll involve parallel Earths.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Looks like there will be a Supergirl/Flash crossover: "Worlds finest". It's been suggested the lack of apostrophe in "Worlds" indicates it'll involve parallel Earths.

Which is driving me nuts because really it should be Worlds' Finest :D

Stark wrote: »

So Batman and Superman are in one universe and the Flash and arrow are in another. That makes sense. And Ra al Ghul appears in both. A bit confusing.

So Batman and Superman are in one universe and the Flash and arrow are in another. That makes sense. And Ra al Ghul appears in both. A bit confusing.

To confuse you more - the Flash/Arrow universe could be one where Bruce Wayne's parents were never killed, so there could still be a Wayne Enterprises, and Bruce Wayne, just no Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Great episode this week. Melissa Benoist's acting is always great but I thought that Chyler Leigh (Alex) really did a fantastic job also.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, agreed. That was an excellent episode.

• Advertisement

Have they depowered John though, obviously they won't have him transforming into a dragon but he has been beaten a lot recently

He mentioned in a previous episode that every time he uses his powers he gets closer to being stuck as Martian Manhunter for good. So it could be he's just being conservative with his usage of his powers for that reason. On the other side, the behind the scenes reason for this is that likely that MM is such a hugely overpowered character that he needs some restrictions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wow I'm surprised to see people liked it. I thought it was appalling, an extremely disappointing use of the Black Mercy and made no sense whatsoever. I was so looking forward to seeing more of Kara's fantasy life on Krypton. It would have been more heart-wrenching than Cal-El's because Kara grew up on Krypton and has so many real memories of her home and family. Instead she spent most of her time there rejecting the fantasy right from the start, making the whole Alex needing to jar her out of it nonsensical. Then instead of actual time on 'Krypton' we got treated to Alex and J'onn both deciding that in such a huge emergency what was really a priority was Kara's ridiculous job, so J'onn went off to impersonate Kara with Kat. Complete with glowing red eyes at the start of the scene just in case anyone in the audience had recently had a lobotomy. In the process revealing himself off-screen to Winn and Jimmy, the son of a major criminal and a member of the press with an alien fetish.

Then we have the DEO being so useless that they can't cope without both Max and Winn stepping in to do their work for them. The whole stand-off about pulling Alex out was stupid seeing as how all it took for Hank to agree to leave Alex in the fantasy was to tell him it was what she wanted. It seems to have been written just to give Jimmy something to do. Then J'onn who had just demonstrated his ability to phase in battle with Astra suddenly became incapable of doing so during the long, long pause she held the knife over him. And the kryptonite sword was conveniently capable of killing Astra despite her anti-kryptonite device? Nan getting away because he knocked over a satellite receiver and Kara had to stop to hold it up despite it not actually mattering if it fell on the ground. And the stupid plot device of Hank lying to Kara about killing Astra. Most laughable was how Hank told Kara he killed Astra, past tense, then the camera switches to Astra breathing heavily on the ground. Then no attempt to save her, despite the fact that with no kryptonite skewering her, she'd start to heal quickly, especially if Kara had rushed her off to the DEO tanning bed. Instead they didn't even bring her body back to the DEO, just left her there for Nan to take back. And lastly Kara demonstrating nothing but super happy, joy, joy at the end of the episode despite her renewed sense of the loss of her planet and family and the actual loss of the aunt that she still did love. Bittersweet joy at the love of her earth 'family' helping her through her understandable sadness would have worked well as a series finale if that was what this episode had turned out to be. Bubbly, happy, giggliness in the face of such emotional upheaval is warning sign of a severe mental breakdown which is terrifying in such a powerful super-being. We also have mostly happy Alex at the end despite all of the dead or captured agents that are alluded to at the end of an episode. That would be hurting her badly in real life.

I really hope that the back nine are better written than these first thirteen. I feel this show is just trying to be too many things at once and it's suffering for it. It should either be Kara, and her scooby gang juggling her normal life and her super career or Kara working with the DEO and J'onn. Trying to have it both ways makes one or the other redundant too often, like how in this episode Jimmy was pointless and needed contrivance to have a purpose while the DEO was made clueless so Winn could have a plate to step up to. Variations of which happen every episode. Personally I'd love to see the magazine plot scrapped and the DEO being the focus. Traditionally Kara isn't a character with a human identity that is the real her like Clark Kent is for Kal El. Kara was too old when she came to earth, her real identity is Kara Zor El and the Danvers persona is as much of a disguise as Supergirl. Winn could join the DEO, he has already bested their tech team, so he could work there easily. Jimmy could either be her boyfriend (or just bugger off back to Metropolis with Lucy) and Cat could recede into the background and have a smaller role where she does important things instead of acting like a spoiled brat all the time. This series has so much squandered potential as the 3 leads, Kara, Alex and J'onn are such interesting and mostly well acted characters. I'd love to see them do things that make sense in well plotted storylines.

I really enjoyed that episode, but it seems the internet is full of people annoyed that they didn't just redo 'For the Man Who Has Everything'

MJohnston wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that episode, but it seems the internet is full of people annoyed that they didn't just redo 'For the Man Who Has Everything'
    Looking up the plot of that comic book story that does sound a much better plot of the epsiode. I enjoyed it but am a bit annoyed that the DEO is still a bit of a fascist organisation in their treatment of priisoners. I agree that having the DEO storyline, the crazy gang of Wynn and Jimmy, the CAT storyline, and the love triangle is a bit too many plots to juggle. Is Max free now after all he did?

A great episode this week. Did Kara really
    snap the master jailer's neck
    ? If so, that's definitely a dark turn for this show...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mr E wrote: »

I watched it back a couple of times, and it's still not very clear, but
    there is a noise like a neck breaking, but i think Alex came in and either shot him or stunned him, but the comments; Alex - "Sorry, I was late", Kara - "You were just in time" would leave me to believe that Kara didn't kill him. Anyway, if she did, she is some hypocrite for the speech she gave to J'onn!

Thought it wasn't great this week, nothing really taking off as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Great episode this week. Melissa Benoist's acting is always great but I thought that Chyler Leigh (Alex) really did a fantastic job also.

I saw the show she was in after Grey's, was Taxi Brookly, she was very good in that as an Irish/American cop.
    Mr E wrote: »

Same here, & She's finding it more difficult to hold that rage, & find it funny that she says,
    "you know how to pronounce that name [Siobhan :p]"

I remember she was on James Corden a while back with Saoirse+Olivia Wilde who mentioned how hard it was to pronounce Irish names including Siobhan/Sho-ban :p

I can only assume that Cat only brought her in, as she's only cover for her, while still not convinced that she's Supergirl?

Also: Here's some info on next week's ep: Solitude
    ‘Smallville’ star Laura Vandervoort returns to the DC universe to portray the villainous Indigo in new photos from next week's ‘Supergirl’.

Talk about Bizarro Supergirl from another time! Looking fwd to it ;)

RE: the neck snapping.

It's hard to tell. Her sister came in and didn't react whatsoever, which makes me think that either she's pretty far gone too or the Master Jailer was just knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They manage to pronounce Siobhan's name correctly and they didn't give her a dodgy Oirish accent. Guessing she just has Irish parents or something which is why she doesn't have an Irish accent.

Are they not allowed to mention Gotham or are they going along the lines of how long it took to mention Superman by name?
    And a Lobo reference as well

• Advertisement

I did laugh at the Lobo reference. The missus was looking at me like I had gone a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

youngblood wrote: »

I was laughing when I saw that. I had only watched the Supergirl movie last weekend. What a truly dreadful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I was laughing when I saw that. I had only watched the Supergirl movie last weekend. What a truly dreadful film.

I actually loved the film though maybe not for the right reasons. Watched it with a friend a while back and we spent nearly the whole film laughing out loud at the cheesiness of it all. Actually most of the most recent episode reminded me of the film in terms of cheesiness.

This article is a great summary of the cheesy moments: http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-8-most-unforgettable-moments-in-last-nights-supergi-1762282269

Have to look up that film - sounds a lot of fun. I thought the reveal of the secret was a bit weak tbh. I hoped supergirl would stay independent from the DOD for a while. Also Astra'shusband Non? needs to step up his game. He is a very weak villain.

Excellent episode this week. It was a bit stupid that MMH gave himself up, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

My favourite episode so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So James is able to tell Kara a lot about Superman, including his new Solar flare, yet he wasn't familiar with red Kryptonite?

Kara was looking great in bad mode. Does red K make bad guys good or just make them more evil?

Did like the wee Superman 3 bar scene

CastorTroy wrote: »

Did like the wee Superman 3 bar scene

I knew that thing with the peanuts was familiar but I couldn't remember where it was from.

• Advertisement

excellent episode. I must admit seeing Cat thrown from the building was very satisfying. She seems like a female Trump, a bit of a bully. They need to bring the Kryptonians back in the next few episodes, as a threat they have become a bit of a let-down.

Advertisement