Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MP3 player with wireless/spotify?

• 07-03-2015 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Looking at getting the new sony 16gb walkman (as I have used the older models for years now but need a new one) but before I take the plunge I just want to check I am not missing out on a device. What I really want is an mp3 player that I can also play downloaded spotify playlists on - but there does not seem to be anything like this excluding an ipod touch - which I definitely don't want. Am I right?
    I know i could use a phone but I want a dedicated device.
    Seems like there is a gap in the market for an android / windows device like this? Anything on the horizon?
    If not I will go ahead with the sony I guess.

Comments

don't know of any such device, except for this one which is now discontinued. basically an android ipod touch.
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/samsung-galaxy-player-4-2/
    you could maybe pick one up cheap and upgrade the android version with a custom rom
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2784792

but the best option would maybe to buy a phone, mabye second hand and not put a sim card in it and just use the wifi for your spotify.

Have a look at the fiio x1 as well as the sony that you're considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks glasso - will check those out. Seems like a cheap phone is probably the only solution outside of a non-spotify playing deliver. The fiio x1 looks great - just a pity the battery life isn't so hot. Will definitely look into it though - thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

What's wrong with the iPod touch?

Thanks marko - it would be ideal really though a little big and I really, really dislike iTunes so don't want to have to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Sign up to the iTunes account, and sign in once in the iPod, then use one of these alternatives fro managing local music. Job done! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

You could get the Sony NW-ZX1 walkman..not sure what your budget is,but with the ZX2 just released, these should be dropping in price (still quite expensive though) and popping up on Ebay too as people are upgrading... It runs android, you can download apps and games from the play store..so you would be able to use Spotify,tidal streaming services etc...

Another one will be the Fiio x7 which is currently in development but more interesting and perhaps more friendly to the wallet too is the Echobox,a device which was launched at CES last month and I think is gonna be distributed after Canjam at the end of this month..cost will be around 450usd but its designed specifically for streaming..from online services to streaming around your home network, so it may be worth waiting for in your case!

Thanks celticsfan - just read up on the fiio x7 on headfi and it might be worth holding off for - thanks! Echobox seems good too but not sure on the design. Definitely could be worth holding out for though so great to know about these options on the horizon - much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Thanks celticsfan - just read up on the fiio x7 on headfi and it might be worth holding off for - thanks! Echobox seems good too but not sure on the design. Definitely could be worth holding out for though so great to know about these options on the horizon - much appreciated :)

This Sony one may be of interest for you too!! will work out cheaper than all the other options I suggested at around 250euros

http://www.sony.ie/electronics/walkman/nwz-f886

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you are listening to Spotify playlists then you will be listening from within the app, even offline. If you get an iPod touch you won't be using iTunes for those playlists.

Advertisement