Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type of compost?

Options
  • 07-03-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so we want to put our basil plant in a larger pot, but its hard to get a small amount of compost - anyone knows where to get like 5 liters? thats already more than we need. all we can find it 20 liter bags, a bit too much.

also: what kind of compost can we use? aldi currently has compost for seeding fresh seeds i think, can we use that too?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BeachView

How long is it growing? I would use john innes 3 if a mature plant

compost for seeding fresh seed is for fresh seed. For fresh seeds you would need john innes 1 john innes seed or some seed compost

google basil RHS
    and
    google john innes number 3 for basil and see second link down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Seed compost would have very little nutrients in it, practically sterile, so not suitable for an established plant.

A general purpose compost would be perfect. You should be able to buy a bag at a garden centre or co-op for very cheap. Supermarkets would usually stock it at this time of year also. I don't think there is much demand for small bags of multi purpose compost but I'm sure someone would take the remainder off your hands. I've never not found a use for a bit of compost!

Advertisement