Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 2000 - Defy Advanced?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you going through bike2work or is this your own hard earned mullah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cable disc brakes. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

yes buying through the bike to work scheme...

wasn't sure if the disc brakes were a good or bad thing...

Cona wrote: »
    wasn't sure if the disc brakes were a good or bad thing...
    The Advanced 1 has hydraulic discs which are much better than cable discs.

It's a somewhat complicated subject but if you're not sure then you're better off sticking with rim brakes as they're simpler and lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

You need to go up to the Advanced PRO 1 to get hydraulic discs
    This is what I have and cant fault it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Get the TCR advanced 1 (it's serious bang for your buck) if you can find it in stock somewhere and in your size.

TCR advanced 1 would also be a runner...maybe too stiff for me though?

Just looked at the Cube Agree GTC Race and also very nice bike and good value as well..

Cona wrote: »
    Just looked at the Cube Agree GTC Race and also very nice bike and good value as well..
    Yeah, had a look at that earlier and it looks good value.

Or you could get a Canyon. Ultegra and Ksyriums for 1700 quid is hard to beat.

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3581

Lumen wrote: »

yeah for me it will be a toss up between the giant and the Cube...

Canyon is out due to bike to work. Company will only go with approved bike shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Lumen wrote: »

wow - this is a great bang for € bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bought the Defy Composite last year after quite a bit of research. Main reasons I went for it were the relaxed/non-race geometry and a good price. The Canyon Endurace CF would probably be this year's choice but that's not much good to you with the BTW scheme. Went for a bike fit first on my old bike and got lots of advice from Aidan Hammond as to the what geometry would suit me and my cycling plans (sportives and long distance charity rides).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

My LBS has defy advanced 3 blue in stock. Heavy yolk, well beaten by some alu bikes. As many people would surely agree you are better off with good alu bike rather than bad carbon.

Advertisement