Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blasphemy Law again

• 07-03-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Sorry, didn't want to revive old threads that I've been reading but from which I understand

a. Blasphemy is an offense under the constitution
    b. the law was adapted in 2009 rather than have a referendum

But seeing we're having a rake of referendums this year, could we not have had one on this too? Would it not have made sense to get rid of this at the same time? Isn't it embarrassing for everyone for fundamentalist states to be holding Ireland up as a shining example of religious sense, by having a law against blasphemy? :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sorry, didn't want to revive old threads that I've been reading but from which I understand

a. Blasphemy is an offense under the constitution
    b. the law was adapted in 2009 rather than have a referendum

But seeing we're having a rake of referendums this year, could we not have had one on this too? Would it not have made sense to get rid of this at the same time? Isn't it embarrassing for everyone for fundamentalist states to be holding Ireland up as a shining example of religious sense, by having a law against blasphemy? :o

1 - Yep

2 - Yep

3 - Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It seems that the only way to challenge the leftovers from when we were the Vichy France to the Holy See's Third Reich is for hundreds of thousands of people to campaign intensively for them to be removed. It seems that the political establishment thinks, "Ah sure, no-one will get charged anyway, t'will be grand."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Be careful what you wish for lads. My understanding of the current blasphemy law is that it would be virtually impossible to secure a prosecution under it. Remember the big noise recently about sellers of the special edition of Charlie Hebdo being prosecuted? That died down pretty quickly, presumably once those proposing it actually talked to their legal advisors about the chances of success. It's quite possible that a removal of the current law could instead result it in being replaced with an Incitement to Religious Hatred legislation, going beyond what equality legislation already provides for & effectively being a tougher blasphemy law in all but name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It seems that the political establishment thinks...

The poor voters are exhausted from having to go back and forth to the polling stations and are suffering from voter apathy. We can't be bothering them with yet another referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We can bother them with a pointless amendment to lower the age of presidential candidates, though (when the system by which a presidential candidate can be nominated remains under the domination of the major parties and it's seen as a handy retirement number.)

The constitutional convention did vote to remove blasphemy, but in some attempt to appease the religious types voted also to replace it with some guff about religious hatred etc. and which could well be worse and even more chilling to free speech than the bad law we have now.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I remember reading something like that they didnt want any issue being forgotten about if there was too many.

Could you image what would happen if they tried to bring in SSM and get rid of blasphemy at the same time? Persecution complex overdrive.

Advertisement