Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good music organisational tool

Options
  • 07-03-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I normally use Winamp but I rebuilt my home machine and it is crashing every time I try and add media and I have tried to troubleshoot it but got nowhere.

So I have been trying some other players, Musicbee and Foobar2000 but they don't have the same features that winamp has, specifically they don't seem to be able to show how many songs or albums are against each artist or a most played list

so can you recommend some?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I use Foobar myself & find it pretty good. It's geared towards listening in a playlist/album mode rather than flicking around individual songs so possibly not for everyone. When you say you need a player "to show how many songs or albums are against each artist" what do you mean exactly? Going into the Library - Album List section of Foobar it shows exactly that - list of artists, which clicked on open up the list of albums for each - list of songs on each album. As for most played statistics I'm not sure how you'd do that normally on the player but there's probably some tool that can be added on it to achieve that (http://www.foobar2000.org/components). I used to use MediaMonkey which can definitely do that but the last few builds I've used of it were very bloated & had terrible start up times, could be better now so maybe worth trying. The important thing to remember is that for the players to work properly you need to have your music organised in a logical fashion rather than spread around tons of different places on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

+1 for Foobar... and I use mp3tag for tagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Windows Explorer and use media player classic to play music....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Mediamonkey does what i want.

It does have frequently played section, but look up magic nodes for really powerful lookups.

I dont use it as a mediaplayer, just to organise stuff, really easy has amazon / musicbrainz / discogtagger tag look up.

Its as simple as highlight an album, ctrl + L brings up the tagger, tag it, ctrl + r then moves the songs to

V:\Multimedia\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album> (<Year>)\<Track#:2> - <Title>

The best bit for me though is syncing over wifi to android with the app, it syncs 100 (or any amount) songs worth of different genres say, blues, best of, pop, jazz, by whole albums, also allows you to convert the tracks as you are syncing them, i dont need flac files on my mobile to play through my car stereo so set it to convert to 128kbs files, once set up its just one button press on my mobile to change albums.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MusicBee is what i'm currently using. Found MediaMonkey awfully bloated previously (decent pc spec as well) and Foobar was a bit too cumbersome I found. Plus Foobar lost my customizations and I hadn't backed them up so never went back to it :( .

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement