Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tzatziki ..who stocks it in Ireland??

Options
  • 07-03-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Anyone see it in Dunnes, Tesco or SUPERVALU or Centra etc.??

I have looked in the Yoghurts section, the Humus/Coleslaw section of the above but never seen it stocked. Is this something that is not available to the Irish market???? Looking at it as part of a diet plan I am on....I believe it could be a good hunger fix with carrot sticks etc

If anyone got a good recipe for it.... I might give it a go myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have seen it in Supervalu before. Check around the jar section (soy sauce, chilli sauce, etc.). If in doubt, call up your local supermarket and ask!

Edit- I think I mean tahini. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Tzatziki is really easy to make, it's just yoghurt (the greek type stuff), grated cucumber and garlic.

Try this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/683633/fresh-greek-tzatziki

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Centra on Westland row have it. Tesco often have it too.

I make my own. Much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

My local Supervalu sells it, it's usually in the cheese counter. They would have it in stock most of the time but I can't remember the brand, it's in a round clear plastic tub. Over the summer I tend to make my own (Greek yogurt, chopped mint, garlic, deseeded and chopped cucumber), it's very quick and easy and tastes fresher I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Tesco sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Saipanne wrote: »
    Tesco sell it.

Great.... what section would it be under??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Old McDonnells, I think it is, make a deeeeelicious one. Only had it bought for me, though, haven't found it. It wasn't really yogurt, more sour, really yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Haven't seen it in any shops either, but then it's dead easy to make, all you need is 1/4 cucumber, a little pot of yoghurt, a clove of garlic and a little salt.

De-seed the cucumber, sprinkle with salt and leave for 5 minutes, then give it a good squeeze to get the excess water out. Squeeze the garlic through the garlic press, then mix everything together - voila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd highly recommend making it yourself. It couldn't be any easier, just blend garlic into into greek yogurt and then add grated/shredded cucumber and let it sit for a while. Most like it will be a lot better than what you can buy and will have no added E-xyz's and preservatives and whatnot.

There seem to be two kinds of tzatziki. One is the yogurt sauce that some people here are talking about, the other is a kind of soft cheese in olive oil, which is the Old McDonnell's version. Just got that second kind in Supervalu, where they have it with the hummous, also by Old McDonnell's.

• Advertisement

You may be thinking of Tyrokafteri: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirokafteri

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

There seem to be two kinds of tzatziki. One is the yogurt sauce that some people here are talking about, the other is a kind of soft cheese in olive oil, which is the Old McDonnell's version. Just got that second kind in Supervalu, where they have it with the hummous, also by Old McDonnell's.

The soft cheese doesn't sound like tzatziki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Dunne's have it. usually with other refrigerated dips section, normally somewhere near cold meats

katydid wrote: »
    The soft cheese doesn't sound like tzatziki.

Take it up with Old McDonnell's Farm.

Tzatziki doesn't contain cheese, it's a classic Greek dish and I've lived in Greece for years never experiencing tzatziki with cheese. Old MacDonnells seem to have a Tzatziki with added cheese, however, judging by one of their facebook pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

M&S do an absolutely gorgeous one, it's stocked with the hummus and other deli stuff.

I'm addicted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I have never ever seen pre-made tzatziki- what's the point ?!! It's sooo easy to make.

You need yogurt ( good, thick traditional greek stuff). Growing up we even strained our yogurt at home to make it extra thick. Stuff like Fage works very well. Then add cucumber ( grated or chopped, I add both) and grated garlic. Add a bit of salt, some olive oil and a bit of lemon.Then you can add herbs , this is where every area has their own version. I add some dried spearmint. That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Gordon wrote: »
    Tzatziki is really easy to make, it's just yoghurt (the greek type stuff), grated cucumber and garlic.

Try this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/683633/fresh-greek-tzatziki

Bought the ingredients tonite in Tesco. I asked in Tesco and was told it more a seasonal thing!! So used Gordon's recipe and urged now in fridge settling. Tastes good.. Might have overdone the lemon as I can taste in as the prominent taste!!

Maybe it be grand after the 2 hour settlement!!!!!

Nice one. It could be seasonal due to the seasonal strikes and chaos in greece!

I'd only put a dash of lemon in if any, if you kill it with something, kill it with garlic :)

love it with a stupidly hot kebab

• Advertisement

love it with a stupidly hot kebab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Jezek wrote: »
    I have never ever seen pre-made tzatziki- what's the point ?!! It's sooo easy to make.

You need yogurt ( good, thick traditional greek stuff). Growing up we even strained our yogurt at home to make it extra thick. Stuff like Fage works very well. Then add cucumber ( grated or chopped, I add both) and grated garlic. Add a bit of salt, some olive oil and a bit of lemon.Then you can add herbs , this is where every area has their own version. I add some dried spearmint. That's it!

Yes, that is more or less my recipe, fresh dill, mint, or parsley when in season, whatever you have, when not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yum - now that sounds like something I need to try :)

It's very nice, definitely recommend trying it. Have never made it before so can't advise on ingredients.

I may, or I may be reading the label on the Old McDonnell's Tzatziki, which says Tzatziki.

Yeah, as I mentioned later, they sell something called tzatziki yoghurt cheese which isn't tzatziki. They seem to think tzatziki has cheese in it for some reason. :)

Advertisement