Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footbridge for horse & cart?

Options
  • 07-03-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

When did the footbridge across the river at Dunnes become available for use by horse & carts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You're joking, didn't even think you could get a cart up there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

You're joking, didn't even think you could get a cart up there.

Nope saw it earlier today. Crossed from Dunnes went down the ramp at the library

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Nope saw it earlier today. Crossed from Dunnes went down the ramp at the library
    Probably a sulky then, can't think of anything else that could get around the railings at each end.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulky

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Probably a sulky then, can't think of anything else that could get around the railings at each end.

Yep that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Sulky - passed me today there around 1.30

• Advertisement

Sulky - passed me today there around 1.30

Yeah that's the time it passed by me on the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Sure they are a law onto themselves lads.......they can do ANYTHING they want while nothing is done. On the one side you have people who are afraid of them and on the other side you have the bleeding hearts saying it's their culture!

Don't get me started.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Sure they are a law onto themselves lads.......they can do ANYTHING they want while nothing is done. On the one side you have people who are afraid of them and on the other side you have the bleeding hearts saying it's their culture!

Don't get me started.....
    Dead right, not a single person in the council would dare say "you can't be doing that boss" sickens me ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

We need an online petition. That'll quieten them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Going way off topic I don't understand is why trotting hasn't actually been legitimised in locally if there's enough of an interest to take it places where the public are in danger.

I was in a town in New Zealand where loads of Irish travelers take parts in trotting at a proper venue at no risk to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

catbear wrote: »
    Going way off topic I don't understand is why trotting hasn't actually been legitimised in locally if there's enough of an interest to take it places where the public are in danger.

I was in a town in New Zealand where loads of Irish travelers take parts in trotting at a proper venue at no risk to the public.

makes sense in all fairness...we have places for driving motorbikes, playing golf, racing cars, horses, dogs etc etc so why not sulkies?

could it be done in a field off the public roads?

I would expect there to be lots of vacant council land around the country - they could rent it cheaply....(lets be realistic...) the users pay for upkeep and maintenance through subscriptions, works for teh rest of society...

I would genuinely like to hear the travellers side of this arguement,,..this is a very one sided debate so needs to be treated with caution as such IMO....

Well point to point racing only needs a few fields but organisers do provide marshaling and medical supervision.
    Trotting would need flatter fields than what point to point use.

The only people seem to benefit form the current arrangements are betters after the quick buck. Animal welfare and public safety are secondary.

The problem is they wouldn't use a proper venue as the use these things as transport. Surely its also against the law to have 2 adults & 2,3 or 4 children on board

Surely its also against the law to have 2 adults & 2,3 or 4 children on board
    Is it?

Aren't vintage cars exempt from seatbelts yet they wouldn't garner the same disapproval as anything horse drawn.

Is it?

Aren't vintage cars exempt from seatbelts yet they wouldn't garner the same disapproval as anything horse drawn.

But what about overcrowding?

But what about overcrowding?
    Tell that to my parents back in the 70s driving to Dublin in a Morris Minor with three kids in the back and two babies on my mothers knees upfront!!!:eek:

If driving belts on vintage cars are exempted then it follows that all subsequent laws don't apply, including children up front and babyseats; you got to have a seatbelt to strap in a baby seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

slimjimmc wrote: »
    One bollard in the middle of the bridge would solve that problem.

I was going to say that a small bit of design know-how and it could actually be a "feature" which would enhance it rather than just an ugly lump of metal ... but on second thoughts, sure then it would be out of place with the rest of the bridge.

Advertisement