Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad areas to avoid?

• 07-03-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Looking for rental apartment in Limerick City and wondering what areas should be avoided? I have heard stories only.
    Thanks and a good weekend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Or areas to be careful of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perpetual Student

Where are you working/studying or what is it you need to be near to? there's areas within areas I'd suggest avoiding, e.g. Some estates in Castletroy that are highly student dominated. Limerick has big suburbs so narrowing the suggestion areas would be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Limerick
    Nonsense. Don't listen to the stories. Most of Limerick is perfectly safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nonsense. Don't listen to the stories. Most of Limerick is perfectly safe.

I wouldn't waste my time answering childish comments like that. Probably wondered in here by accident looking for the After Hours forum.

• Advertisement

You'd be better off posting the places you're interested in. Much easier for us to tell you about the areas there in

I will be working in the Limerick Hospital. So I would prefer area near to the hospital and not too far from city center.

I have never been to Limerick before. Is the hospital far away from city center?

Thanks everyone

I will be working in the Limerick Hospital. So I would prefer area near to the hospital and not too far from city center.

I have never been to Limerick before. Is the hospital far away from city center?

Thanks everyone

Its a bit of a walk but manageable. If I were you I'd be looking at raheen/dooradoyle. Very built up busy area outside the city but only a short bus journey or taxi drive away. No rough parts in the area really. Plenty of shops, pubs, restaurants and a big shopping centre with a cinema in the area. Lived there myself last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thanks everyone

Anywhere around Raheen/ Dooradoyle area would be fine for you and within walking distance to the hospital! I don't know of any areas/ estates around there that should be avoided, everywhere would be pretty ok!

As for getting into town, the hospital is less than 10 minutes drive on a good day, straight road all the way in, fairly simple! I'm not sure how frequent busses are but I assume there are some if you don't drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If you're working in the hospital (presumably the regional, not the maternity hospital), then you're definitely better off living in Raheen or Dooradoyle, as already mentioned. Pretty decent area, I'd say it's fairly easy to find a place and rent will probably be less expensive. And then you'd be within walking distance most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thanks everyone
    There are four hospitals in the city. Which one have you in mind?

University Hospital, Limerick
    University Maternity Hospital, Limerick
    St John's Hospital
    St Joseph's Psychiatric Hospital

Whenever someone mentions "the hospital" in Limerick, I never think of the other four we have :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Maybe he means Hospital, Co. Limerick :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

testicle wrote: »

St John's Hospital

should probably throw in Barringtons Hospital too just in case

i will be at University Hospital, Limerick
    testicle wrote: »

St John's Hospital

will be at University Hospital, Limerick.

rent is a bit more expensiive as compared to in south east region. cheapest decent apartment is of 650-700 euros
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    If you're working in the hospital (presumably the regional, not the maternity hospital), then you're definitely better off living in Raheen or Dooradoyle, as already mentioned. Pretty decent area, I'd say it's fairly easy to find a place and rent will probably be less expensive. And then you'd be within walking distance most likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

could live in castletroy/annacotty/monaleen if stuck and use the motorway to get the uni hospital (I assume its the uni)

Do you have a car OP? Everywhere in or around the city is close to the hospital if you're driving really. Limerick is fairly small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The University Hospital is not in the city centre, it is located in Raheen. To be close to both you would probably need to rent somewhere like the South Circular Road or Dooradoyle which are about midway. Unfortunately both areas are close to Mary Immaculate College too so alot of students are renting there during the college year.

Yes i do have a car but missus dont and unsure about her job location yet. :( depends on job market in Limerick
    Do you have a car OP? Everywhere in or around the city is close to the hospital if you're driving really. Limerick is fairly small

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The University Hospital is not in the city centre, it is located in Raheen. To be close to both you would probably need to rent somewhere like the South Circular Road or Dooradoyle which are about midway. Unfortunately both areas are close to Mary Immaculate College too so alot of students are renting there during the college year.

And rent is stupidly expensive on the SCR and surrounding areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

could live in castleconnell and just use the motorway to get to the uni hospital if yer stuck. limerick is fairly small alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

best bet is Raheen, Dooradoyle, or Ballinacurra Road. all served by buses to the hospital and to the City Centre. think it is the 301 bus stops outside the hospital too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Limerick

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I know a few people living in Dooradoyle Park, think there's 3 of them, it's nice enough, can't imagine the rent is that much.

With just 2 people, you are going to have to pay that little bit extra in rent though. SCR is likely to be expensive though.

€650 a month is €325 a month each, which is roughly €80 a week each. Which isn't exactly cheap, but it could be a lot worse.

househero wrote: »
    This

Wasn't funny the first time and sure as hell wasn't funny the second time two days later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mod: Folks, Enough of the trolling and childish behaviour. Please keep the discussion on-topic.

thanks everyone for their valuable input.

i have a good idea now what areas would be suitable near hospital. cheers

thanks everyone for their valuable input.

i have a good idea now what areas would be suitable near hospital. cheers

We're all expecting invitations to the house warming :pac:

Na, best of luck with the search and the new job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement