Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking radiator in a house I viewed

Options
  • 07-03-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I viewed a house recently and am keen to make an offer to buy it. when I viewed it though I spotted a radiator which had a basin under it collecting water. It is currently being rented out & the tenants had a lot of stuff stored in this room so it wasn't initially obvious. The estate agent seemed a bit surprised when I pointed it out & Not to sound naive but I don't think they had known about a problem with it.they ssaid that it could be fixed etc but presumably they could get some plumber to fix the leak but not sort b problem if it's not just something straightforward. I don't know anything about plumbing, should I be hearing alarm bells about this or might it be something very simple. how could I ensure the plumbing is okay? (preferably without spending a fortune when my offer might' nt even be accepted)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds like something simple and cheap to fix- however, you'd have to get a plumber to have a look. Its the sort of thing that we can't really guess here- you'd need to have someone have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Second viewing whereby you bring someone else to have a good look to ensure its just a small isolated proble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Very small problem, and if that's the only issue with the house you are blessed. However it may be symptomatic of general neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Its a simple job for a plumber to change a radiator - I don't think I neglect things in my own home and I had a radiator leak in an upstairs bedroom last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I moved into a brand new house last year and I've had 3 leaks so far from different things. It's a simple job for any plumber. I wouldn't be worried. It could just be an ill fitting pipe joint that needs a tighten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

To check out the piping and wiring of any second hand house. Trouble is that you won't be able to lever the price down in such a heated market but at least you may be able to pull out if the Structure, piping or wiring are very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Goodne wrote: »
    Its a simple job for a plumber to change a radiator - I don't think I neglect things in my own home and I had a radiator leak in an upstairs bedroom last summer.

I do agree, have had leaking rads myself, but the fact a bowl was underneath it 'might' indicate tenant/ LL is not bothered fixing routine maintenance issues like this that are resolved in an owner occupied home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't let it put you off, but you have to be realistic any 40+ year old house you look at is going to need work un less its been done. Expext to have to rewire it dry line it with insulation. .. you can do a lot for 15 grand 20 if you have to do the windows. When you view the house bring a magnet check if the pipes are steel or copper. If they are steel youd be better off changing them as they go after about 30 years. If the magnet sticks to the pipe is steel, otherwise it's copper. It will stick to the radiator. Radiators are cheap to change and a modern one will make a big difference to the look and warmth of the house.

Advertisement