Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options
  • 07-03-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just signed up to the above, First year doing this particular event, Who else thinking of doing it...Started training with no purpose at the turn of the year so its great to aim for something now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Best of luck with the training

On a side note wonder why they decided not to return to Cork this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Entered it, but does anyone else have a problem with working out teh route from the "Map" on the web site - seems like a lot of backtracking or going around in circles - I'm completely lost as to the actual route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

The route looks a bit zig zag, you go down one side and back up the other, looks confusing but the course is well marshalled,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I signed up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

€30, bloody hell

Be warned, some of the roads are very narrow and unless you're near the front they can get very congested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Is there any club or charity associated with this? There are posters all over my workplace and I'm just wondering why. Would make sense if it was bhaa organised or for charity say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

P_Fitz wrote: »
    €30, bloody hell

Its expensive enough but you get a fairly decent long sleeved T-shirt out if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Only 10K, no 5K option?

donaghs wrote: »
    Only 10K, no 5K option?
    Yeah its only 10k with a finishing time limit of 1 hour 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

This is honestly the worst race I have ever done. If you google or search the previous years threads you will see there is rarely a good word said about it. One look at the course map should tell you it is going to be a disaster.

Save your money folks. PS: no your money does not go to charity.
    Also in answer to why the cork one was cancelled? Clearly the organisers didn't make enough profit out of it.

• Advertisement

Bizarre in that case that posters are up everywhere in work if it's solely a private enterprise. Must address that on Monday. Those t shirts are brutal, don't understand the appeal of looking like an illuminous advertising hoarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

Basster wrote: »
    Bizarre in that case that posters are up everywhere in work if it's solely a private enterprise. Must address that on Monday. Those t shirts are brutal, don't understand the appeal of looking like an illuminous advertising hoarding.

They 'pretend' to give to charity when in fact they use money generated to donate Samsung products to charities. In effect they buy the stuff off themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Basster wrote: »
    Is there any club or charity associated with this? There are posters all over my workplace and I'm just wondering why. Would make sense if it was bhaa organised or for charity say.

Nothing to do with Bhaa race, it's a profit race.

The Bhaa 10k at k club on the 11th of April is a good alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is anyone else having trouble working out the route when you look at the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Some good and bad reports about this one, the last three years i've regretted not doing it so if its terrible at least it'll be crossed off my list, Hows everyone's training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

For some reason the Cork event isn't on this year despite being a sell out last year :confused: Raised a fair bit of cash for some of the local clubs who provided stewards and was a nice route around two with no congestion issues that I saw.

Having said that I'd probably have given it a skip as was a pricey event to enter but worth doing once at least for the chance to run on closed road around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I had always wanted to do this event as envied the t-shirts and thought it would be a great race. Over 8,000 in Dublin, it was so packed I came to a standstill twice. The route is up/back/around/down. It's very expensive and a real pain at 9pm on a Sunday which it was last year. Haven't even worn the t-shirt due to a big Dublin symbol on it. Goodie bag very disappointing for the cost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

aquinn wrote: »
    I had always wanted to do this event as envied the t-shirts and thought it would be a great race. Over 8,000 in Dublin, it was so packed I came to a standstill twice. The route is up/back/around/down. It's very expensive and a real pain at 9pm on a Sunday which it was last year. Haven't even worn the t-shirt due to a big Dublin symbol on it. Goodie bag very disappointing for the cost.

But apart from that it was grand yeah?

adrian522 wrote: »
    But apart from that it was grand yeah?

NOT AT ALL ADRIAN :D

Goodie bag and t-shirt. Not really about the times these sort of events :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I Haven't even worn the t-shirt due to a big Dublin symbol on it..
    Ya what now? Tshirts with Dublin symbols are the cats pajamas:-D

• Advertisement

I hear there are medals too.

Firedance wrote:
    Ya what now? Tshirts with Dublin symbols are the cats pajamas:-D

No Firedance, my idea of hell.

Sorry yes you get a medal, well you did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Race medals always remind me of Tom Cruise's Certificate of Irishness.

Eamonn Gilmore presented him with this lovely framed certificate followed by a lovely "how much this means to me" speech from Tom.

The following night Tom was on the Graham Norton show. Graham asked him "Did you throw the certificate away right afterwards or did you wait until you got back to the hotel?".

Tom went very red.

But of course each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

A group of us are doing this race and we were wondering where we pick up our race numbers? Is their a pick up in town or do we collect on the night?
    When do we get the tops? Before or after race?

Pink11 wrote: »
    A group of us are doing this race and we were wondering where we pick up our race numbers? Is their a pick up in town or do we collect on the night?
    When do we get the tops? Before or after race?

I collected in Trinity on the Friday and you get the t-shirt there.

I collected in Trinity on the Friday and you get the t-shirt there.

Thanks a mil.

For such an expensive race and big sponsor (Samsung) the website and info online is very poor!

I get the feeling this might be my first and last time doing the race. So many bad reviews and expensive.

Pink11 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil.

For such an expensive race and big sponsor (Samsung) the website and info online is very poor!

I get the feeling this might be my first and last time doing the race. So many bad reviews and expensive.

Also get there early for hope of getting correct size t-shirt. Don't do what I did and spend the day eating jellies either. Felt sick at 7km.

That could be applied to any day really.

Also get there early for hope of getting correct size t-shirt. Don't do what I did and spend the day eating jellies either. Felt sick at 7km.

haha I'll avoid the sweets on race day so.

Thanks for tip. I'll try and head there around lunch time Friday.

Do they send us an email normally to confirm times for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 anttoy

Did anyone actually sort out what way the route is going? I know they had marker signs on last years route so had an idea where was going.

Advertisement