Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

I reckon it's just going to be a case of follow the leader - At least for me anyway, or more accurately, the few thousand leaders ahead of me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ArgieExile wrote: »
    I reckon it's just going to be a case of follow the leader - At least for me anyway, or more accurately, the few thousand leaders ahead of me :)

The first year, when I did it, someone decided to take a sizeable shortcut half way up O'Connell street and the whole race behind decided to follow them. It meant a lot of us had to repass a lot of slower runners after 1-2k who had actually ran 400m less but had jumped ahead.

A lot of people were then complaining that the course was short afterwards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

It, unfortunately, doesn't do O'Connell St anymore. All loops around Docklands. Down to Point, back up around and back.

https://www.samsungnightrun.ie/race-info

• Registered Users Posts: 9 anttoy

That will make two of us ArgieExile! I know there is going to be trouble around some of the narrow streets they bringing us.

aquinn wrote: »
    It, unfortunately, doesn't do O'Connell St anymore. All loops around Docklands. Down to Point, back up around and back.

https://www.samsungnightrun.ie/race-info

yeah I know, but there is still a huge potential for that to happen again, especially if you are following the leader in hope....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    yeah I know, but there is still a huge potential for that to happen again, especially if you are following the leader in hope....

You can see the leader. I only ever see them on the way down to the Point as they are on the way back.
    Roads are a disgrace for this as well and badly lit.

I'm only treating this as a "fun" run, as I live in D4 and it's close to home. Will be running the BHAA 5 Miler at RTE on the Saturday, so this will be purely for pleasure (and the T-Shirt!).

I actually run around this general area quite a bit, and the roads are "ok" really, and I guess the fact that it's a night run, and therefore badly lit, is the lure of the event. As I say, I won't be anywhere near the front, so fingers crossed, I don't get lost....

I'm only treating this as a "fun" run, as I live in D4 and it's close to home. Will be running the BHAA 5 Miler at RTE on the Saturday, so this will be purely for pleasure (and the T-Shirt!).

If the t shirt doesn't have a Dublin symbol on it can I have it? Will swap it for one that does (and never worn) :D

If the t shirt doesn't have a Dublin symbol on it can I have it? Will swap it for one that does (and never worn) :D

Not a Dub myself.... We'll see....

You can see the leader. I only ever see them on the way down to the Point as they are on the way back.
    Roads are a disgrace for this as well and badly lit.

As if I can see the actual leader!!

By Leader I mean the person in front of you. It's far more likely that someone further down the field takes a shortcut and if they do the rest of the people coming behind them inevitably do the same as happened in the 1st night run. I reckon over half the field did this the first year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I'm out for a wedding on Friday 24th (no, not my own), so I won't be running the BHAA/RTÉ 5 miler on Saturday 25th. I was looking at this race as a viable option for Sunday. (I'm trying to get a few more races under my belt).

Alas, judging by the feedback on this thread for the event, it reminds me of the old critic line "ah but apart from THAT, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I actually run around this general area quite a bit, and the roads are "ok" really, and I guess the fact that it's a night run, and therefore badly lit, is the lure of the event. As I say, I won't be anywhere near the front, so fingers crossed, I don't get lost....

I'm running this and the RTE 5 Mile as well so should be an interesting weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Does anybody know if you can collect your bib/t-shirt on behalf of somebody else? I've looked on the Samsung website but can't see anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Does anybody know if you can collect your bib/t-shirt on behalf of somebody else? I've looked on the Samsung website but can't see anything about it.

Yea I did it last year and there were no problems. Just bring the confirmation email just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I've signed up for this run - I did it a couple of years back and said never again - I have been convinced to give this another go this year. I just hope there is proper waves now and not full of Heroes in them again thinking their Mo Farrah !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eefster

anttoy wrote: »
    Did anyone actually sort out what way the route is going? I know they had marker signs on last years route so had an idea where was going.

I am still having problems figuring out the various loops in the route, so I emailed the organisers and asked. They provided me with this street list, but I still am not 100% sure where and how often the course will cross itself. I think the only real duplicate is around Horse Fair (once clockwise, once counter-clockwise), but there's a good bit of doubling back on North Wall Quay / East Wall Road.
    The route is a 10km City Centre (and surrounds) route starting at Customs House Quay and taking in the following streets and areas to finish at North Wall Quay:
    • Customs House Quay (Start)
    • North Wall Quay
    • Samuel Beckett Bridge
    • Sir John Rogersons Quay
    • Horse Fair
    • Samuel Beckett Bridge
    • North Wall Quay
    • East Wall Road
    • Point Village
    • North Wall Quay
    • Memorial Bridge
    • City Quay
    • Windmill Lane
    • City Quay
    • Lime Street
    • Hanover Street East
    • Cardiff Lane
    • Horse Fair
    • Cardiff Lane
    • Macken Street
    • Pearse Street
    • Sandwith Street
    • Lombard Street
    • City Quay
    • Memorial Bridge
    • North Wall Quay (Finish)
    Note:It will be necessary to have a contraflow of runners along Sir John Rogerson’s Quay in place on race night.
    Runners will negotiate a clockwise loop immediately after the 1KM mark taking in Blood Stoney Road, Horsefair and Marie School Walk emerging back onto Sir John Rogerson’s Quay and running back to Samuel Beckett Bridge on the river side of the road.
    Just before the 8KM mark the runners will undertake an anticlockwise loop of Marie School Walk, Horsefair and Blood Stoney Road emerging back onto Sir John Rogersons Quay on the buildings side of the road, and running towards Cardiff Lane where a right turn will be taken.
    The contraflow will be in place to ensure that participants running towards Marie School Walk will be separated from runners heading back towards Cardiff Lane.
    This area will be treated as a high priority area and will be reflected by marshal numbers on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

At €31.50 to enter and looking at the route posted above and viewing the pictures of previous years (very cramped looking) on the website, there isn't much that would attract me to this race to be honest.

Good luck to those running it though.

Kop On wrote: »
    At €31.50 to enter and looking at the route posted above and viewing the pictures of previous years (very cramped looking) on the website, there isn't much that would attract me to this race to be honest.

Good luck to those running it though.

Honestly, I'm still debating whether to take part or not, but that's mostly because I'm still ridiculously slow. The cramped and convoluted route is not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Not looking forward to this to be honest. Agreed the pictures look bad. So cramped. I won't be upset if I don't hit a PB.

Any confirmation yet on where and when we collect our race packs pre race!?

Such bad communication from such a big sponsor.

I'm sure you'll get an email in the next few days but you might be waiting until Thursday. Mine hit spam last year so keep an eye out.

• Advertisement

Pink11 wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this to be honest. Agreed the pictures look bad. So cramped. I won't be upset if I don't hit a PB.

Any confirmation yet on where and when we collect our race packs pre race!?

Such bad communication from such a big sponsor.

The website says Trinity Sports Hall on Fri/Sat/Sun. Haven't seen any email about it.

Friday 24th April 11.00am to 20.00pm
    Saturday 25th April 11.00am to 18.00pm
    Sunday 26th April 11.00am to 16.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

eefster wrote: »
    The website says Trinity Sports Hall on Fri/Sat/Sun. Haven't seen any email about it.

Friday 24th April 11.00am to 20.00pm
    Saturday 25th April 11.00am to 18.00pm
    Sunday 26th April 11.00am to 16.00pm

Thanks. I didn't see that. So same as last year then!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

The Booklet on the website indicates 'waved starts' - which didn't happen last year. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

The Booklet on the website indicates 'waved starts' - which didn't happen last year. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

There were waves last year. Sub 45, 45-55, over 55 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TripleL

Picked up my bag a few minutes ago. Running top, a Hailo voucher, a Nature Valley protein bar and a packet of Popchips (crisps).

Aw not popchips again. Shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Crap goody bag !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lucy.ie

Wanted to enter this last year ... have entered but looking at posts not sure i did right thing .... agree with (times)( ADVERTISING) crap goodie bag ... but wasn't going for that.... plus a friend has just bailed on me .. So I'll be a lonely soul... :)

Incase you don't know, Trinity are not letting anyone collecting race packs to park on the campus.

If you are driving, the best bet is to park on Westland Row and run across the road.....or the 3 space loading bay outside the science gallery.

There's feck all people there now, plenty of staff there so I was only 8 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck to anyone running this tomorrow, I'll be out on the course somewhere stewarding...

Advertisement