Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

They've already run out of XL shirts, and I was in there just before 5pm. Hopefully they will have more tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

They're out if the large and xl and are using last years tops. This is my first year running it. Based on the comments, I think I'll treat it as a bit of fun and not take it to serious!

crazyderk wrote: »
    They're out if the large and xl and are using last years tops.

Aren't the tops exactly the same every year? There is no date on them from what I can see.

Aren't the tops exactly the same every year? There is no date on them from what I can see.

This years has the date on the sleeve and last years didn't. Last years us a big Dublin crest on it and this years doesn't!

I would of preferred this years one to be honest but I guess it didn't make a difference I got a pb of 50 mins 32 seconds!!!

First 10k I've ever done. Its a good thing I wasn't racing (just wanted to finish) as I could see it being frustrating. There were a two bottlenecks after 2km that had people slowing to a walk for a few meters. It was a battle for space for half the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Are the results online? I didn't get a text with my official time.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Great event but not a great race. Too narrow to pass anyone but I enjoyed it. Perfect weather for it. Pity about the muck they served up instead of water at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

KJ wrote: »
    Are the results online? I didn't get a text with my official time.

Yes, they are online already.

Does this link work for you? https://www.samsungnightrun.ie/results?sorts[Position]=1

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Found it very enjoyable but was congested at times and seen a few people falling badly on ramps on John Rogerson quay...

I think this event has the potential to be good but the route has got to change. Twice I had to actually STOP up, standing still waiting for a few bottle neck areas to clear.

They need to make a city centre course in one big lap so the road isn't divided in two. It's too narrow for that volume of people. It would be brilliant as one big lap and a flat course.

The first 3km were awful. I thought to myself is this a joke!? I was barely moving at times and twice was stopped up completely. Then the route for the last 5km was horrible I felt. Loads of small loops on the south side. Mentally hard. We passed across the bridge 4 times! I still managed a PB which only frustrates me. I know I could have done much better if I didn't have to stop up and jog really slowly at times!

Would have been nice to have plain water or even a banana at the end?

Not sure I would do it again. But it has potential. 9pm on a Sunday night isn't ideal either.

Sorry for all the moaning!!

• Advertisement

Brainz wrote: »
    Found it very enjoyable but was congested at times and seen a few people falling badly on ramps on John Rogerson quay...

That's awful. Were they ok? Not one bit surprised to hear that to be honest. Nearly tripped myself and was just waiting for someone to fall and send a domino effect across the runners behind.

I pushed out onto the foothpaths when I could to gain back some time I lost in the bottle necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I had no issues with the race. It was congested at the start but that's the only time I had to walk. I saw one guy fall over on the 2km. I quite liked the twists and turns as it added a bit of interest instead of just long straight roads.
    I set a new PB of 45.51 and I will definitely do the race again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Pink11 wrote:
    That's awful. Were they ok? Not one bit surprised to hear that to be honest. Nearly tripped myself and was just waiting for someone to fall and send a domino effect across the runners behind.

Pink11 wrote:
    I pushed out onto the foothpaths when I could to gain back some time I lost in the bottle necks.

I helped one lad up he ran it off I reckon skinned leg didn't see how the others were

Pink11 wrote: »
    Yes, they are online already.

Does this link work for you? https://www.samsungnightrun.ie/results?sorts[Position]=1

The search function on the results page doesn't seem to work. Pretty much impossible to locate yourself in that list as times are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Complaints like this every year. Obviously not a great race. People love the shirt though and keep signing up so it will be around for a while.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Complaints like this every year. Obviously not a great race. People love the shirt though and keep signing up so it will be around for a while.

It's an illuminous yellow ad for Samsung. What's there to like...? Certainly wasn't a selling point for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

My friends and I were annoyed there was no water at the end - that soured it a bit for me, more than the bottlenecks.

Can anyone explain the leader board to me? people who took longer than me finished before me? how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

Not a nice 10k route at all. Like an obstacle course lots of bumps, corners and narrow sections. My watch showed I had done 10.15 km in the end but I think the GPS receiver got messed around a bit due to all of the buildings. PB will have to wait for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can anyone explain the leader board to me? people who took longer than me finished before me? how does that work?

Its probably chip time vs race time.
    Those people probably started in a wave after you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I find it strange that people are surprised by this stuff. I've never run this race, but every year I come on here and read exactly the same complaints about it. That's the reason I've avoided it. I doubt it will change while they keep getting a full list of entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I think it's the order that people crossed the finish line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was stewarding at the 4km mark, just at the Point where you rose onto the footpath from the road.
    Very surprised to see the route go that way as there were bollards a little further on and I think a couple of people ran into them even though there was some very vocal warnings from my colleagues.
    Definitely way too many people for the amount of road space available...I remember thinking this is one race I will never run unless things change quite drastically.
    Even if there were no congestion issues, the course map made it very obvious there would be serious slowing down on the South quays going around all those 90degree turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ran this race in 2012 (the inaugural year) & 2013. It first started at College Green, up O'Connell St, down to the O2, over to the Aviva and back up Mount St to Westland Row. The weather was horrific but the course was good.

Every year since the course has gotten progressively worse, maybe that's due to DCC, Garda traffic restrictions or most likely the cost of the permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

First time running this event, despite all the negative comments that I had heard.

The route was OK. The previous route sounds really impressive, in terms of the Dublin landmarks that you would pass. It's kind of expensive for your return, if you enter a lot of races and compare the market.

Not one for a PB, could be improved but it is a novelty event as running as a popular past time at the moment.

Running purists should avoid, for the average runner like me there's no harm in doing it once.

May enter again if the route is improved. Overall; grand, basically.

Wouldn't be getting too excited either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

I was in the "green" wave (only know this cause the girl next to me told me next to the stand and I had no big issues with the congestion. My first km was slower than at other events that's true at about 5:20 min/km (not sure as I haven't checked my garmin) but I never had to stop or walk.

Positives
    - It's an enjoyable race in general. If you wanted to take it seriously you could as can be seen from the top finishing times.
    - Good light hearted atmosphere. Definitely a different target market with more of a yuppie crowd (lots of hot looking people) component.
    - The t-shirt is of good quality and has a useful pocket on the side plus I like the wacky colour. I don't care about advertising Samsung every time I run with it.

Negatives
    - Running through Lime St seriously? Could they have picked a narrower road? The route needs re-visiting but it has nice sections.
    - the bollards at the 3 Arena. Somebody could lose the crown jewels there despite of the warnings of the stewards.
    - Is that a goodie bag? Really? I've heard of a race in the UK where they give you a tin of soup and a lot of flyers but this is a joke. I didn't even get the pop corn

Could improve
    - Pre-race information on the website. It's easier to get info in boards.ie than it is in the website. Having said that, the Great Ireland Run online info is even worse.
    - Proper waves and adequate signalling at the starting line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

The search function on the results page doesn't seem to work. Pretty much impossible to locate yourself in that list as times are all over the place.

If searching on a mobile make sure you've no trailing spaces at the end of the name you're searching for. It's pretty poor that they're not trimming the parameters but in any case, remove any spaces and the search works.

Still not sure I understand the results page, does the number on the left mean where I placed overall in the ~5500 competitors or is it the order they crossed the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

It's an illuminous yellow ad for Samsung. What's there to like...? Certainly wasn't a selling point for me

I did the race the first year it was on (2012?) and I still wear the t-shirt all the time. I love it! I know it has a big ad for Samsung but it's hi-viz, long sleeved, and they did them in XS so it fits. I'd say it's the t-shirt I wear most for winter, night time running. (I have it now, though, so haven't needed to do the race since :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Pretty sure I saw a high vis long sleeve t-shirt in Pennys for something like 8 euro! It doesn't have a massive SAMSUNG logo on it either.

If I hear one more thing about get fantastic bloody 'technical top' I will lose it!

BHAA had a 5 mile race for 15 euro on Saturday. I know where I'd be at the weekend if racing. No chance of being treated like cattle either, unlike last night's race. People should really think twice about supporting these badly run, 'make all the money we can' races.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Only my second road race, but despite the novelty I wasnt a huge fan.

So congested people were vaulting fences, running out into the contra-flow lanes etc.

With narrow roads and obstacles invisible due to running on top of each other im surprised there weren't loads of injuries, credit to the marshals for that.

As some have noted, there's a nice feel to the event, but the route is deplorable for the amount of entrants...

Advertisement