Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options

Comments

I don't understand why people have an issue with a for-profit race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I don't understand why people have an issue with a for-profit race.

No one has a problem with an organisation making money from a race. Staging an inferior product, on a shambolic course at an exorbitant price is a negative in my book at least.

The only good thing about this race is that they financially contribute to running clubs for providing stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The only good thing about this race is that they financially contribute to running clubs for providing stewards.

chunk of money to Athletics Ireland too

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Brainz wrote: »
    I helped one lad up he ran it off I reckon skinned leg didn't see how the others were

Could've been me, tripped on one of the ramps on Sir John Rogerson Quay (probably around the Ferryman), thanks for those who quickly pulled me to my feet . The stewards were calling 'RAMP' on the return leg but not while I was passing :(

And thanks to the St Johns Ambulance at the end who cleaned it up - there were a few skinned & bloodied knees to be seen at the end.

Got to the end 57:xx after a first KM of nearly 7 minutes due to congestion.
    Quite enjoyed the race, but wouldn't be inclined to do it again unless the route improves to relieve congestion. Maybe once LUAS works finish ? And when people start in appropriate time slots....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Pretty sure I saw a high vis long sleeve t-shirt in Pennys for something like 8 euro! It doesn't have a massive SAMSUNG logo on it either.

If I hear one more thing about get fantastic bloody 'technical top' I will lose it!

BHAA had a 5 mile race for 15 euro on Saturday. I know where I'd be at the weekend if racing. No chance of being treated like cattle either, unlike last night's race. People should really think twice about supporting these badly run, 'make all the money we can' races.

I bet there are loads of good, cheap, hi viz things available (I know Aldi did them recently for about 8 quid for men and women) but my beef with Penney's (and I do buy loads of their stuff for Pilates / warming up etc) is that their women's running gear isn't nearly as practical as their men's. They don't do hi viz tops for women, their shorts don't have inner liners or pockets and their sports bras aren't for high impact exercise. I love the patterns and the prices, but they don't actually have as much cheap, functional running gear for women as you'd think.

But anyway, that's an aside. I would prefer a cheaper club race, with a better course, to the Night Run. I'm not pushed at all about t-shirts/medals/goody bags. An accurate / good course etc is much more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

No one has a problem with an organisation making money from a race. Staging an inferior product, on a shambolic course at an exorbitant price is a negative in my book at least.

Just to say that the race is not-for-profit as per the website:
    This is a not for profit event taking place in the heart of Dublin city centre. In order to host unique events of these sizes there are associated costs. Participant entry fees are invested back into making this a successful and safe event for all runners.
    Obviously they gain from the branding but there are lots of costs associated too. Would like to know what portion of the €200,000 revenue goes towards the clubs though (we had over 40 volunteers so I'd like to think the club got a decent slice of the pie, but I wouldn't be too sure!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

As an event, it gets lots of people running so credit due there.
    Its not for me, although am relatively new to running, I'm well past the stage of box ticking.
    But if this is a start for a lot of people, then I hope they realise there are lots of better races run by local athletic clubs and IMRA etc and that they go on to enjoy their running in those type of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

belcarra wrote: »
    Just to say that the race is not-for-profit as per the website:
    This is a not for profit event taking place in the heart of Dublin city centre. In order to host unique events of these sizes there are associated costs. Participant entry fees are invested back into making this a successful and safe event for all runners.
    Obviously they gain from the branding but there are lots of costs associated too. Would like to know what portion of the €200,000 revenue goes towards the clubs though (we had over 40 volunteers so I'd like to think the club got a decent slice of the pie, but I wouldn't be too sure!).
    €30 per steward provided which isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Jesus what a moany crowd of feckers. I didnt realise there was such snobbery amongst runners - with a load of you turning your noses up because the race is beneath you, not for 'real' runners and too 'corporate'.
    If you want to run in a field full of cow ****e to be perceived as 'real' and 'hardcore', be my guest.
    I ran this event last night. It was brilliant seeing Dublin looking so well, everyone out for a good time (with no booze invoved for a change!).
    I am a slightly tubby 49 year old man who was proud and delighted to have got around in just over an hour. Of course I could have broken the World Record other than for the congestion and the twisty route - but I think I will leave that for the next Olympics.
    Loved it - felt so alive and positive and maybe not so old after all. Here's to new size 34 inch jeans soon!
    Thanks everyone for having a great night and a good laugh.
    Feck the begrudgers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ If people are paying good money for a 10k they expect the race to be run in a well organised manner, and it doesn't seem to be the case here given the number of stories of near misses, congestion, running out of water etc that are appearing here and elsewhere. There are a lot of races around these days and runners will vote with their feet and wallets if they are not happy with what they are getting.

• Advertisement

^ If people are paying good money for a 10k they expect the race to be run in a well organised manner, and it doesn't seem to be the case here given the number of stories of near misses, congestion, running out of water etc that are appearing here and elsewhere. There are a lot of races around these days and runners will vote with their feet and wallets if they are not happy with what they are getting.

yeah but some people didn't even run it - just having a snipe. It was not perfect by any means but overall a very positive and happy experience.
    Its easy to find fault - in life we get what we focus on..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Out of interest have you ever run in a club organised race? I haven't seen any comments about "real or hardcore" races. As for " field full of cow ****e", never seen a race where this is the case.

Given the cost of entry I would have expected much better from yesterday, but each to their own I guess.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Out of interest have you ever run in a club organised race? I haven't seen any comments about "real or hardcore" races. As for " field full of cow ****e", never seen a race where this is the case.

Given the cost of entry I would have expected much better from yesterday, but each to their own I guess.

Did you run in it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, I was stewarding at it. i was on one of the corners with a 90 degree turn on the south side of the course after about 7km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I ran this last night.
    The criticisms are valid. It's too congested and the route is awkward and dangerous in places. But it would be a shame if they couldn't improve it, because it could be a great event given its location and popularity.

One simple improvement they could make to help with the congestion would be to have more waves and stagger them a bit more.

LorMal wrote: »
    Jesus what a moany crowd of feckers. I didnt realise there was such snobbery amongst runners - with a load of you turning your noses up because the race is beneath you, not for 'real' runners and too 'corporate'.
    If you want to run in a field full of cow ****e to be perceived as 'real' and 'hardcore', be my guest.
    I ran this event last night. It was brilliant seeing Dublin looking so well, everyone out for a good time (with no booze invoved for a change!).
    I am a slightly tubby 49 year old man who was proud and delighted to have got around in just over an hour. Of course I could have broken the World Record other than for the congestion and the twisty route - but I think I will leave that for the next Olympics.
    Loved it - felt so alive and positive and maybe not so old after all. Here's to new size 34 inch jeans soon!
    Feck the begrudgers!!!!

Run whatever you enjoy! Some people love the cow****e races (there is actually a cross country route somewhere, maybe in Dunboyne, that's held on a course called 'The Cow Field'). I think the Samsung race is fun -- I enjoyed it the year I did it, and it's one of my two favourite race t-shirts (the other is from another 'corporate' race - the Rock'N'Roll half) -- but some people find the turns too tight etc etc. I like road races and cross country and round-number, timed distances etc, so that's what I mostly run; my husband likes trail races and mountain races, so that's what he mostly runs. Some people love the track, some love those colour runs / obstacle runs etc. Just enjoy it and do your best, and if you pick a race you don't like, just don't do it next year.

I think a bit of complaining is fair enough if something's gone wrong, though (like the race I once did that delayed us for 30 minutes in 2 degrees and then made us wait even longer while a prayer was said :-)), so it's fair enough if people who got caught in congestion / fell etc are talking about that.

ETA: Ha! I didn't realise boards put in those asteriskes automatically! I thought it was just people being delicate :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Feck the begrudgers!!!!

I am new to running myself but for 30 quid you would expect it to be run properly, doesn't matter if it's in the middle of a field or a city.

Congrats on your run and fairplay but a lot people on here are experienced runners and they say it's not right I'm going to believe them and if people are getting hurt and falling over then either the course needs to change or reduce the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not a competitive runner (unless you count competing against your desire to stop running) - but wen I did it two years ago I just wanted to see what my fastest time could be and having to stop and walk in places was a little annoying. It didn't have to be that way.

But despite the negatives, I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

5,490 finished the race - apparently over 7,000 had signed up?? Seems a little strange to me... Mind you I was one of those who didn't run it in the end, having ended up on antibiotics for tonsillitis last week.

No, I was stewarding at it. i was on one of the corners with a 90 degree turn on the south side of the course after about 7km.

I did - and I enjoyed it. And so did lots of people.
    The cribbing, snobbishness and negativity on here has kind of ruined the experience for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The cribbing, snobbishness and negativity on here has kind of ruined the experience for me now.

You're 49 and people having valid concerns about safety, bad organisation and congestion has made retrospectively downgrade your enjoyment of it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

First time to do it last night. 42:50. Starting racing again after long time out. I loved the race. The route, the dark, the crowd. It was excellent. I couldnt fault it. Good work Samsung!

Haven't seen any snobishness really, but fair enough if you enjoyed it go back again next year. But maybe try some other races too.

I think the general consensus is that there are better organised races out there, with better courses and that are less congested. I don't think it is being snobby or overly negative to point that out.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Run whatever you enjoy! Some people love the cow****e races (there is actually a cross country route somewhere, maybe in Dunboyne, that's held on a course called 'The Cow Field'). I think the Samsung race is fun -- I enjoyed it the year I did it, and it's one of my two favourite race t-shirts (the other is from another 'corporate' race - the Rock'N'Roll half) -- but some people find the turns too tight etc etc. I like road races and cross country and round-number, timed distances etc, so that's what I mostly run; my husband likes trail races and mountain races, so that's what he mostly runs. Some people love the track, some love those colour runs / obstacle runs etc. Just enjoy it and do your best, and if you pick a race you don't like, just don't do it next year.

I think a bit of complaining is fair enough if something's gone wrong, though (like the race I once did that delayed us for 30 minutes in 2 degrees and then made us wait even longer while a prayer was said :-)), so it's fair enough if people who got caught in congestion / fell etc are talking about that.

ETA: Ha! I didn't realise boards put in those asteriskes automatically! I thought it was just people being delicate :-)

Hi HelenAnne

I do agree with you - I was being a bit tongue in cheek about cow ****e! (I played many matches almost buried in the stuff).
    I also think the congestion was poor and I got slowed done for the first 3k. (Otherwise I am sure I could have won it).
    But there are some people moaning and they have never run it - and some of the earlier comment were very snooty about 'fun runners' versus 'club runners'.
    I just enjoyed the whole thing and I think lots of people did. we are a moany lot in Ireland sometimes....

PaulieC wrote: »
    You're 49 and people having valid concerns about safety, bad organisation and congestion has made retrospectively downgrade your enjoyment of it ?

Go away with your personal jibes....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Go away with your personal jibes....

Sorry, it was an overreaction to your posts, which were, in my opinion, overreactions.

Haven't seen any snobishness really, but fair enough if you enjoyed it go back again next year. But maybe try some other races too.

I think the general consensus is that there are better organised races out there, with better courses and that are less congested. I don't think it is being snobby or overly negative to point that out.

Of course there are, loads probably.
    (Well done for stewarding- the stewards were very encouraging last night).

I really enjoyed it - could be improved for sure - but I would recommend it for the fun

PaulieC wrote: »
    Sorry, it was an overreaction to your posts, which were, in my opinion, overreactions.

meant to be light hearted - not serious

Hi HelenAnne

But there are some people moaning and they have never run it - and some of the earlier comment were very snooty about 'fun runners' versus 'club runners'.

Glad you enjoyed it and had a positive experience. I don't think the 'fun runners' v 'club runners' thing will ever die on boards - people create / talk about this artificial division all the time.

But just to any new runners / racers who are reading - running clubs aren't for 'elites', and 'club runners' aren't some different breed. They're just people who like running who have joined a club and paid a yearly subscription. A running club is no different to any other kind of club - people join walking clubs and golf clubs and bridge clubs and chess clubs because they like walking, golf, bridge or chess and want to do it with other people who like it too.
    Anyone can join a club - putting on a t-shirt with a club logo on it doesn't make you into Kenenise Bekele! It's a way of making friends, having club-mates / team-mates and it will probably improve your running, whether through specific training, or just from running with other people.
    I'm in a club and I don't think I'm more horrible and elitist than runners who are unaffiliated, and I've made loads of really nice, un-elitist friends that way. In fact, it's let me meet a much bigger cross-section of people in terms of age / interests etc than I do in other areas of my life.
    We're all fun runners here really, except the few posters who are professional athletes. Join your local club, people! It's fun! And there is usually tea and coffee to be had, which is more than you get running alone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

meant to be light hearted - not serious

You ran a poorly organised / corporate money spinner and all you got was a crap t- shirt advertising a even more crap electronics company boo bleeding hoo

I'd say you'll get over it.

Advertisement