Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

BTW I'm sure Bressie and "The Body" Byrne have some races coming up to "raise awareness" / enhance their brands... I'd say you'd enjoy those as well. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

BTW I'm sure Bressie and "The Body" Byrne have some races coming up to "raise awareness" / enhance their brands... I'd say you'd enjoy those as well. Best of luck

You're missing the point - it seems that you must enjoy and appreciate these events no matter how shabbily they are run, no matter how many people are crammed into an unsuitable and unsafe route. To do otherwise means that you are snobby, moany and snooty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

LorMal wrote: »
    I did - and I enjoyed it. And so did lots of people.
    The cribbing, snobbishness and negativity on here has kind of ruined the experience for me now.

Ah now come on you're a grown man, saying that other peoples comments have ruined the experience for you is silly and childish. If you enjoyed the race then great, it shouldnt matter what someone else thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

PaulieC wrote: »
    You're missing the point - it seems that you must enjoy and appreciate these events no matter how shabbily they are run, no matter how many people are crammed into an unsuitable and unsafe route. To do otherwise means that you are snobby, moany and snooty.

Did you even run in the race? Nah

I actually think Operation Transformation etc is partly to blame for this

• Advertisement

Did you even run in the race? Nah

No, nor would I because I'm not a rube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I did - and I enjoyed it. And so did lots of people.
    The cribbing, snobbishness and negativity on here has kind of ruined the experience for me now.

ah for god's sake, why would you let anything you read on here ruin anything for you?

if you enjoyed it, good for you. other people didn't, that's their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I have to say I do enjoy your Captain Ahab-like vendetta against Bressie and Body byrne. Although leave poor Roz alone, shes a sweetheart.

tunguska wrote: »
    Ah now come on you're a grown man, saying that other peoples comments have ruined the experience for you is silly and childish. If you enjoyed the race then great, it shouldnt matter what someone else thought about it.

I really seem to have touched a nerve here..

I really seem to have touched a nerve here..

I highly doubt it #JSP

• Advertisement

In fairness, there was some giving out that this event wasn't for charity.

annapr wrote: »
    ah for god's sake, why would you let anything you read on here ruin anything for you?

if you enjoyed it, good for you. other people didn't, that's their opinion.

Its the ones who didn't participate but want to snipe that annoy me. I admit it wasn't perfect but I dislike cynicism from the sidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I won't complain unless I feel I should. So many well run races and for 31.50 I expected a nice little race. I'm no record breaker but I do expect to be able to run without the fear of tripping over and stopping to a stand still more than once.

I was also crammed like a sardine in the starting area for 25mins. Some basic waves or making roads wider (rather than splitting them) and doing one big loop would solve so many problems. All of the problems can be fixed. On facebook they are encouraging people to send in their feedback to the team. Hopefully they listen to feedback and improve for next year.

The event has some great potential. The atmosphere was great I agree.

EDIT: I was aware of the problems prior to doing the race but I didn't realise the extent of the congestion. It's more than just annoying, it's dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Its the ones who didn't participate but want to snipe that annoy me. I admit it wasn't perfect but I dislike cynicism from the sidelines

That's exactly where my cynicism comes from - I stewarded twice previously and saw exactly what was like. In any case, I didn't express an opinion on the race itself, but on your overwrought posts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

I ran it last night, was my first organised run since starting C25K last August. I really enjoyed it for the atmosphere and the uniqueness of running those normally traffic-filled streets.

I did see a couple of people wiped out by bollards and those low concrete strips though so the organisers could have chosen a different route or had clearer warnings at the start about possible hazards.

My reaction from running it is that I'm keen to run other races and am a little confused by people complaining about the price of it. For a comparative example, people were advertising the 'Docklands 5K' when I finished last night so I thought I'd look into that as my next run seeing as it was in my face at the finish line.

Their website has expired, the next google result gives you info from 2012 and when you try to register it takes you to an Irish Triathlon page that says 'No events available'! Comparatively my registration for the Samsung event was smooth, so maybe that's where some of the money goes? I don't know.

In any case I don't see a huge price difference in the other races I've looked into since this one, the Terenure 5 mile costs ~20 euro for example. What prices do people normally pay for these things and what are generally in the goodie bags that makes the Samsung one so shabby?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Any one have links to the photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

chabsey wrote: »
    I ran it last night, was my first organised run since starting C25K last August. I really enjoyed it for the atmosphere and the uniqueness of running those normally traffic-filled streets.

I did see a couple of people wiped out by bollards and those low concrete strips though so the organisers could have chosen a different route or had clearer warnings at the start about possible hazards.

My reaction from running it is that I'm keen to run other races and am a little confused by people complaining about the price of it. For a comparative example, people were advertising the 'Docklands 5K' when I finished last night so I thought I'd look into that as my next run seeing as it was in my face at the finish line.

Their website has expired, the next google result gives you info from 2012 and when you try to register it takes you to an Irish Triathlon page that says 'No events available'! Comparatively my registration for the Samsung event was smooth, so maybe that's where some of the money goes? I don't know.

In any case I don't see a huge price difference in the other races I've looked into since this one, the Terenure 5 mile costs ~20 euro for example. What prices do people normally pay for these things and what are generally in the goodie bags that makes the Samsung one so shabby?

I haven't run this race so this is not a direct potshot at it but I have never seen a 10k for 31.50. If I entered a race at that cost, I would expect it to be flawless. I've run some of the best organised half marathons in the country for less than that.

This race seems to be setup as a gimmick where the RD can charge as much as they like because they know people will turn up. From all the complaints I've heard about the Dublin and Cork one, would people still be happy to turn up and pay over 30 bucks for a shoddily organized race if it was on at 12 oclock in the day on Sunday? I doubt it. With all gimmicky races, the organisers think they can charge whatever they want and only give the bare bones in return. That's not acceptable in my book and shouldn't be.

I haven't run this race so this is not a direct potshot at it but I have never seen a 10k for 31.50. If I entered a race at that cost, I would expect it to be flawless. I've run some of the best organised half marathons in the country for less than that.

This race seems to be setup as a gimmick where the RD can charge as much as they like because they know people will turn up. From all the complaints I've heard about the Dublin and Cork one, would people still be happy to turn up and pay over 30 bucks for a shoddily organized race if it was on at 12 oclock in the day on Sunday? I doubt it. With all gimmicky races, the organisers think they can charge whatever they want and only give the bare bones in return. That's not acceptable in my book and shouldn't be.

Well I can't say either way as it's only one I've run but am keen to try others. One of main things I liked about it was the atmosphere, everyone genuinely seemed in great spirits and the weather while cold wasn't bad.

Any recommendations for a good follow up run I should try? I've run a few half marathon length runs on my own time but this 10K is the only one I've done as an organised group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Any recommendations for a good follow up run I should try?

Terenure 5 mile
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    the marathon race series

For anyone who enjoyed the Samsung NR experience- there is an excellent race series in Clontarf. The 5 mile is actually 4.85 miles and although they may run out of soup it is of the high quality, instant variety.

If you're looking for better races this summer I'd agree with Ray's list above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

RayCun wrote: »
    Terenure 5 mile
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    the marathon race series

Just to add links to the above is anyone wants to read more about those races

Terneure 5 Mile
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    Race Series

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

The 5 mile is actually 4.85 miles

In November it was 5.3 miles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

And the bhaa 5k on sandymount next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RayCun wrote: »
    Terenure 5 mile
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    the marathon race series

Wings for life is on in dun laoighre this weekend

You ran a poorly organised / corporate money spinner and all you got was a crap t- shirt advertising a even more crap electronics company boo bleeding hoo

I'd say you'll get over it.

wow - nasty

For anyone who enjoyed the Samsung NR experience- there is an excellent race series in Clontarf. The 5 mile is actually 4.85 miles and although they may run out of soup it is of the high quality, instant variety.

If you're looking for better races this summer I'd agree with Ray's list above

Do you have any links to those races, they'd be handy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

...for a comparative example, people were advertising the 'Docklands 5K' when I finished last night so I thought I'd look into that as my next run seeing as it was in my face at the finish line...

http://docklands5k.com

This race will be organised by Crusaders AC this year (I'm a member). The Docklands race(s) have been commercially run the past few years and have been a bit of a shambles, although not as bad as the Night Run IMO. This year there will be a simpler, straighter course up and down each side of the liffey and there will be just one race (not two sharing the same course, as has been the case in the past couple of years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

In fairness Doc,.u cant blame that on the organisers,it was a marshall fault...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    In fairness Doc,.u cant blame that on the organisers,it was a marshall fault...

Ha! Hadn't realised he was being ironic in his reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

€31.50! Scandalous.
    I thought it was €25. Not that that's much better when you consider the likes of the Enniscorthy 10k (€10 this year and no doubt nowhere near as many issues (if any)).

You can do the Seville Marathon for less. But you know what they say about fools and their money.......

Advertisement