Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 2015

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

PaulieC wrote: »

I bet of those people started calling those who did enjoy it pejorative names, all hell would break loose and there would be locked threads, card, bans and whatnot flying about.

The name calling already happened earlier in the thread.

The rest of your prediction did not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

too right. The race was obviously closer to the inner city that the city centre...

:confused: What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TRR_ismyjusus

chabsey wrote: »
    :confused: What am I missing?
    The bit were the wolves come in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

ah, yes, right. that's what I meant :P

You can't criticise anything these days without being labelled a snob or an elitist or some other label.

Some people think the race is an over-expensive farce that shoehorns 7k people into a course that plainly cannot accommodate them, is dangerous, badly laid out and doesn't have enough refreshments afterwards. Because of this, they are labelled as snooty, snobby and what not.

I bet of those people started calling those who did enjoy it pejorative names, all hell would break loose and there would be locked threads, card, bans and whatnot flying about.

It's ok to have a different opinion. It doesn't make you right or wrong, good or bad, snobby or crass.

You didn't run in it!! Why are you getting so het up on behalf of those who did? (In the main who enjoyed it). It's like complaining about a movie you haven't seen!
    (Regarding name calling - I have been referred to as .. 'rube' 'trotter' 'fool'.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

LorMal wrote: »
    You didn't run in it!! Why are you getting so het up on behalf of those who did? (In the main who enjoyed it). It's like complaining about a movie you haven't seen!
    (Regarding name calling - I have been referred to as .. 'rube' 'trotter' 'fool'.....)
    P.s. if you are going to be pedantic, the race was one third more expensive than Terenure, not 50%.

Ffs ! Be pedantic by all means but be right whilst doing so. :)

Terenure €20
    Samsung €30
    Difference €10

€10 is 50% more expensive versus Terenures €20. Terenure is the base which the other run is being compared to. It's 50% dearer not a third.

I'm not pedantic enough to include the two booking fees myself but it's a similar set of figures.

• Advertisement

The way it was phrased was that Terenure is 50% cheaper than Samsung. Is it? 50% cheaper than 30 is 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

It's like complaining about a movie you haven't seen!

People do that all the time. E.g. I have not heard 1 direction's latest album, but I know* that it's a load of crap.

* well ... nah it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The way it was phrased was that Terenure is 50% cheaper than Samsung. Is it? 50% cheaper than 30 is 15!

I replied to your own post which you subsequently deleted the part you had got wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This thread should be put out of it's misery - I don't think there's too much more than can be added!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

opus wrote: »
    The t-shirt is grand but it hasn't changed my life or anything :)

A Boston jacket would though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Quick update on this as I feel more qualified to express an opinion on whether the Samsung Night Run was a rip off compared to other races.

I've now run three including the SNR, the latest being the Terenure 5 mile. The cost of Terenure was 20 euro (I registered in person) and the SNR was ~31, online.

Overall I believe the Terenure race represented much better value for money, at the end you had the option of orange slices, apples, pears, bananas, bottled water, coconut drink thing and teas or coffees. The SNR offered vit-hit drinks and a protein bar in the goodie bag.

Both races offered chip timing and a free Tshirt although I think the SNR tshirt was maybe slightly better in that you can safely be seen from the international space station when wearing it.

The only fault I could find with the Terenure race was that I couldn't see where to find my official time aferwards, the SNR texted me my time within 10 minutes of race completion. However, once it was pointed out to me where to find my time online, the Terenure race was far better, showing where I ranked overall and even showing a video of me crossing the line! Far more impressive, just not as immediately obvious where you'd find the times. I still can't work out the SNR overall rankings.

So, the SNR is expensive and not as good value but I still think the atmosphere was great and I'll do it again next year as well - as the Terenure race. So, that proves I've learned nothing. Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead - they still haven't taken down all the km marker signs on the quays. Any day now I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Singer wrote: »
    Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead - they still haven't taken down all the km marker signs on the quays. Any day now I'm sure.

saw that last week. Take a pic and report them to DCC for littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I mailed them directly. In a week I'll report to DCC. Maybe the referendum poster taker-downers will pop 'em off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Singer wrote: »
    Maybe the referendum poster taker-downers will pop 'em off.

Write "Vote No" on them and they'll be taken down in a flash :)

chabsey wrote: »
    Quick update on this as I feel more qualified to express an opinion on whether the Samsung Night Run was a rip off compared to other races.

I've now run three including the SNR, the latest being the Terenure 5 mile. The cost of Terenure was 20 euro (I registered in person) and the SNR was ~31, online.

Overall I believe the Terenure race represented much better value for money, at the end you had the option of orange slices, apples, pears, bananas, bottled water, coconut drink thing and teas or coffees. The SNR offered vit-hit drinks and a protein bar in the goodie bag.

Both races offered chip timing and a free Tshirt although I think the SNR tshirt was maybe slightly better in that you can safely be seen from the international space station when wearing it.

The only fault I could find with the Terenure race was that I couldn't see where to find my official time aferwards, the SNR texted me my time within 10 minutes of race completion. However, once it was pointed out to me where to find my time online, the Terenure race was far better, showing where I ranked overall and even showing a video of me crossing the line! Far more impressive, just not as immediately obvious where you'd find the times. I still can't work out the SNR overall rankings.

So, the SNR is expensive and not as good value but I still think the atmosphere was great and I'll do it again next year as well - as the Terenure race. So, that proves I've learned nothing. Hurrah!

I agree totally. I did the Terenure race after all the talk on here. I think it was better organised than the SNR (the fact that the numbers are far smaller helps I think) - and a very nice bunch of people indeed.
    However, I think the value for money thing is a bit 50/50. The Samsung top is better quality and they gave out a medal (big deal) - and i imagine closing the roads in Dublin was very expensive.
    Too different experiences - both enjoyable for slightly different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No great loss given to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    No great loss given to be honest.

No doubt someone else will come in to "fill the gap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Murph_D wrote: »
    No doubt someone else will come in to "fill the gap".

Is there really a gap though. Plenty of well organised 10k's around that time

http://www.totaltiming.ie/event/stoneyford-10k-challenge-2016/

https://entry.enteronline.org/login.aspx?streamid=1724&_ga=1.263772041.485245952.1450279845

https://bhaa.ie/events/kclub-2015/

Need to encourage people into the well organised races to and show them they don't have to part with excessive entry fees to get to run good races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Agree completely. However you know the way capitalism works...

Advertisement