Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries - swimming pool / schools

Options
  • 07-03-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Have finally landed a job in Dublin so after 20 years in the UK, Mrs by the seaside can get back home. We really like the look of Skerries but have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where the nearest swimming pool is? Public, or membership based?

2. We need to phone around for schools but any views on schools or the (im)possiblity of getting two girls in for September? One for Junior Infants and one for 1st (or 2nd) class.

Thanks a lot - it's all a bit daunting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi Folks

Have finally landed a job in Dublin so after 20 years in the UK, Mrs by the seaside can get back home. We really like the look of Skerries but have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where the nearest swimming pool is? Public, or membership based?

2. We need to phone around for schools but any views on schools or the (im)possiblity of getting two girls in for September? One for Junior Infants and one for 1st (or 2nd) class.

Thanks a lot - it's all a bit daunting.

Skerries is lovely the educate together is a grand school.balbriggan is as nice And expensive.there is also an irish school in the town.hth cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Your choice of school will largely dictated by where you will live. If living in Skerries town you will be able to apply to:
    St Patrick's
    Holmpatrick
    Educate Together
    Realt na Mara

If you live outside the town you may also be able to apply to St Moibhí's in Milverton.

Your best bet would be to ring these schools ASAP & explain your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Swimming pools are in Applewood,Swords or Gormanston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Gormanston pool is closed, Drogheda or Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Portmarnock SLC also an option pool wise - we've brought our girls there.

I think one of the health clubs in bettystown/laytown also have a nice pool. Was recommended to us by my sister in law.

Sounds like Swords will be closest though (haven't been myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Thanks folks.

Your choice of school will largely dictated by where you will live. If living in Skerries town you will be able to apply to:
    St Patrick's
    Holmpatrick
    Educate Together
    Realt na Mara

If you live outside the town you may also be able to apply to St Moibhí's in Milverton.

Your best bet would be to ring these schools ASAP & explain your situation.

Does anyone have a view on St Patrick's? We're not a religious family but are very open-minded re ethos, if it makes a difference.

I went there myself, but that was a few *cough* years ago. St Patrick's is actually split into Junior & Senior schools. Combined, they would be the largest of the primary schools in the town, so class sizes will be towards the max. The ethos is Catholic in both.

I went there myself, but that was a few *cough* years ago. St Patrick's is actually split into Junior & Senior schools. Combined, they would be the largest of the primary schools in the town, so class sizes will be towards the max. The ethos is Catholic in both.

Thanks Hill Billy. Just wondering if anyone knows of concerns re junior school. I have no reason to think there are and we will visit but always good to get opinions when you don't know an area.

I am going to pop up to Skerries one evening this week for a pint to look round. Any recommendations?

Nealon's would be my first choice, followed by The Snug.

All the bars in the town are pretty decent, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

if its still bright for that pint go down theharbour. A pint in the front bar in Joes on a sunny evening can be very special.

I have some pubs lined up. Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you can wait a while there are plans for a pool in Holmpatrick cove http://holmpatrickcove.com/ failing that if you just want a quick little dip try http://www.airportviewhotel.ie/ or the sea :)

That's a great piece of intel, Fergal.

I know what you mean about the sea. Where I were a lad, I was in the sea in March, but the wife ain't having it.

Do you know the proposed timescale for the development?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well if you wanted to give it a go there is a great swimming group called Skerries frosties that swim all year round :eek:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skerries-frosties/107239375988545

I have no idea when it will be started but there were some surveyors going around the field last week, maybe someone else will have a bit more info on it.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Well if you wanted to give it a go there is a great swimming group called Skerries frosties that swim all year round :eek:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skerries-frosties/107239375988545

I have no idea when it will be started but there were some surveyors going around the field last week, maybe someone else will have a bit more info on it.

Thanks again. We are in for the long-term so a pool a couple of years down the line would be fantastic.

Thanks again. We are in for the long-term so a pool a couple of years down the line would be fantastic.

There has been talk of a pool getting built in Skerries for as long as I can remember :D I even gave a few quid towards it like a lot of families in the town, still waiting 30 years on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Does anyone have a view on St Patrick's? We're not a religious family but are very open-minded re ethos, if it makes a difference.

My niece (non-catholic) went there during her junior years before moving to the community college. There were also muslim children in her class. The ethos is Catholic, but there was no pressure on non-catholics. There was a bit of a discussion when the First Holy Communion came around =- as it was difficult to tell an 8-year old she could not have a nice dress she was included in the class. There was even a big family party and she made a few bob from the relatives.

cbreeze wrote: »
    My niece (non-catholic) went there during her junior years before moving to the community college. There were also muslim children in her class. The ethos is Catholic, but there was no pressure on non-catholics. There was a bit of a discussion when the First Holy Communion came around =- as it was difficult to tell an 8-year old she could not have a nice dress she was included in the class. There was even a big family party and she made a few bob from the relatives.

Thanks cbreeze.

More importantly, is it viewed as a 'good' and happy school?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Thanks cbreeze.

More importantly, is it viewed as a 'good' and happy school?

I think all the schools in Skerries would be considered as 'good' 😀. I think most people choose the school based on how close they are to the school.
    Realt na Mara is actually the biggest school now in Skerries based on pupil numbers, but many people still consider St Patrick's as the main school.

Also there is no Gael scoil in Skerries - Realt na Mara is not a Gael scoil.

I know of a family whose child was not allowed register as a pupil of Realt na Mara as the child was not baptised. I don't know if the rules of enrolment have since changed, this would have been around 2008/09.

• Advertisement

That's great info thanks. Yes I've been hearing they're good schools. It sounds as if Holmpatrick being small is a bit lacking in facilities and after school activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

If you're prepared to travel a little bit further for lessons, I currently swim and have swum for years in the ALSAA airport pool.
    It is an older facility, so not as fancy as some of the new pool. There's a 25m pool in the airport proper (and a small pool in actual ALSAA club across from the airport) but there are a good few kids classes there, membership is quite a reasonable price.
    Might be worth a look for comparison purposes.

SF12 wrote: »
    If you're prepared to travel a little bit further for lessons, I currently swim and have swum for years in the ALSAA airport pool.
    It is an older facility, so not as fancy as some of the new pool. There's a 25m pool in the airport proper (and a small pool in actual ALSAA club across from the airport) but there are a good few kids classes there, membership is quite a reasonable price.
    Might be worth a look for comparison purposes.

Thanks, SF12.

Advertisement