Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost phone, know location, what can I do?

Options
  • 07-03-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, last night I was out, then I went to Stephens Green and got robbed by travellers, they got my wallet (not important) and my phone (important)

The phone is quite rare, not the usual phone you would come across, it's called OnePlus One and cannot be bought in Ireland just in shops, has to be ordered.

Anyway, my google location history shows it was all around Dublin travelling yesterday up to Phisboro, but in morning at 9 AM the track was gone (Somebody switched it off).

The track ends on that Market street near O'Conell Street, so I assume it's in one of the phone shops.

Yesterday I also called Garda and they came up to me, asked details etc.. so they made a report I guess, and left then. Today I went to those shops and looked around but that phone wasn't on sale on stands (maybe it's hidden, idk)

What can I do? Can I call police somehow assuming they have my record from yesterday and give them location or something? I really need that phone back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Pop round the shops again and ask for one. I have one myself and live in town so will keep an eye out can't believe many people would be selling there's already! There are a good few second hand phone shops on Moore st could well be there they might wait a while before putting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

jimmii wrote: »
    Pop round the shops again and ask for one. I have one myself and live in town so will keep an eye out can't believe many people would be selling there's already! There are a good few second hand phone shops on Moore st could well be there they might wait a while before putting it out.

I aksed every single shop today on that street, all of them were surprised to hear such model. I might wait few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, last night I was out, then I went to Stephens Green and got robbed by travellers, they got my wallet (not important) and my phone (important)

The phone is quite rare, not the usual phone you would come across, it's called OnePlus One and cannot be bought in Ireland just in shops, has to be ordered.

Anyway, my google location history shows it was all around Dublin travelling yesterday up to Phisboro, but in morning at 9 AM the track was gone (Somebody switched it off).

The track ends on that Market street near O'Conell Street, so I assume it's in one of the phone shops.

Yesterday I also called Garda and they came up to me, asked details etc.. so they made a report I guess, and left then. Today I went to those shops and looked around but that phone wasn't on sale on stands (maybe it's hidden, idk)

What can I do? Can I call police somehow assuming they have my record from yesterday and give them location or something? I really need that phone back.

Have you tried the usual online sales sites. I've just googled oneplusone Ireland and 1 has come up for sale on a certain site.

I aksed every single shop today on that street, all of them were surprised to hear such model. I might wait few days

Fingers crossed someone turns it on and you can try track it again. May as well pop in the shops if you can you never know. I guess if someone comes in and sells a phone like that and then almost straight away someone comes in asking for one then they might be a bit wary of saying they have one. Its also possible that they genuinely have no idea what it is and it only has oneplus in tiny text on the back they might just think its a generic Chinese android phone. Only good thing is I doubt they would have got much if they did sell it.

jimmii wrote: »
    Fingers crossed someone turns it on and you can try track it again. May as well pop in the shops if you can you never know. I guess if someone comes in and sells a phone like that and then almost straight away someone comes in asking for one then they might be a bit wary of saying they have one. Its also possible that they genuinely have no idea what it is and it only has oneplus in tiny text on the back they might just think its a generic Chinese android phone. Only good thing is I doubt they would have got much if they did sell it.

If I ever see it in shop, I will call Garda and show them my phone box and compare IMEI's, if it's mine I think I should get it back?

• Advertisement

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Have you tried the usual online sales sites. I've just googled oneplusone Ireland and 1 has come up for sale on a certain site.

I checked Adverts and Donedeal, didn't find any dodgy ads.

If I ever see it in shop, I will call Garda and show them my phone box and compare IMEI's, if it's mine I think I should get it back?

If you can prove its yours and they can't prove they bought it from you then you would really hope you would get it back there and then! If its a legit shop they should have the ID on file of the person and who sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Serial number of the phone might be helpful as well if you had it.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Serial number of the phone might be helpful as well if you had it.

I have the box, all receipts and papers from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A bit off topic OP but how did you get robbed by travellers?

I saw them in town this morning selling sets of kitchen knives on the street...they were surrounding an elderly woman on Exchequer street.

Hope you get your phone back.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    A bit off topic OP but how did you get robbed by travellers?

I saw them in town this morning selling sets of kitchen knives on the street...they were surrounding an elderly woman on Exchequer street.

Hope you get your phone back.

Was just walking, they came up to me started chatting to me, then I realized I am emptied (Very fast somehow, literally talking to one of them and other one just somehow got my stuff), when I realized that I turned around grabbed him and was about to take my stuff back when I got pushed over, kicked few times, I felt really dizzy since I my head against wall so had nose bleeding too, when I stood up they were gone, all they dropped was their blanket.

Used phone booth then to call Garda, also there was about 30-40 people around, lots of witnesses but when Garda came nobody saw anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Op you may be concussed. May I suggest going to the hospital if you are dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the one plus one isn't that rare. I assume its android device manager you're tracking it with? you could simply lock the phone using that and it'd be worthless to anyone having it. or continue to monitor the location of the phone and see where it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Chances of getting it back are slim to none,they are quite popular here now and far from rare,there would be some on adverts.ie too.
    Just keep an eye on it and disable if possible remotely. It would be hard to sell it without packaging and most decent shops now ask for ID before purchasing handsets from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I hope you are Ok and get your OPO back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The Chinese phone shops have cleaned up their act. They will not buy phones without taking a photocopy of an ID and getting a phone number. If the phone ends up anywhere, it will be on adverts or donedeal I imagine

hfallada wrote: »
    The Chinese phone shops have cleaned up their act. They will not buy phones without taking a photocopy of an ID and getting a phone number. If the phone ends up anywhere, it will be on adverts or donedeal I imagine

From what I remember, those asshats didn't look like the kind that would use internet.

Found some guy on Adverts, he sells from two accounts, both accounts selling loads of phones and bikes + rough looking laptops.
    Based in Glasnevin, sells OnePlus One with small scratch on screen (Mine didn't have it but could be caused during brawl, has no box but claims to have charger. Posted 2 days ago, that's as close as I find something related so far. Can't be it.

I mean the chance he will give me IMEI of that phone is doubtful, any suggestions how to look for my phone on donedeal and adverts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask for the IMEI, I've often got it from people on adverts. Just say you want to check the phone is not locked/reported stolen.

January wrote: »
    Ask for the IMEI, I've often got it from people on adverts. Just say you want to check the phone is not locked/reported stolen.

What if IMEI matches, what should I do in that case?
    I assume calling them, arranging meeting and showing up with a crowd of friends isn't really best way :D

• Advertisement

What if IMEI matches, what should I do in that case?
    I assume calling them, arranging meeting and showing up with a crowd of friends isn't really best way :D

Shows the guards the message and proof that the phone with that IMEI is yours they would surely have to act then. The friends option is a handy back up though!

I remember when I worked for one of the networks this guy had his iPhone stolen and was able to track it to an apartment building and just went round knocking at doors asking if they had his phone until he found the guy and the guy was like oh yeh I was just looking it after it for you I was going to try find you took out his sim and gave it back! Very good of him to make sure it was working with his sim while he was waiting to give it back like that!

The one plus one is not rare. You can't go asking everyone sellimg one for their imei, it doesn't work like that. If you haven't got it by now, its gone.

RossieMan wrote: »
    The one plus one is not rare. You can't go asking everyone sellimg one for their imei, it doesn't work like that. If you haven't got it by now, its gone.

tbh I haven't seen a single person with OPO in Dublin yet while I have seen thousands of people with iPhones and Samsungs, pretty sure that's definition of rare or at least rarer? than the rest.

Also I will follow "January's" advice on IMEI asking for it "just to check if it's not reported"

tbh I haven't seen a single person with OPO in Dublin yet while I have seen thousands of people with iPhones and Samsungs, pretty sure that's definition of rare or at least rarer? than the rest.

Also I will follow "January's" advice on IMEI asking for it "just to check if it's not reported"

I'd love to see sales figures for it, its obviously not as big as the major brands, but i'd bet its sold at least 5,000 units in Ireland at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Helpful answers please. (2 unhelpful ones deleted)

Surely if you see it on DoneDeal and you ring and ask the IMEI, they know it's stolen, so they'll just hang up on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dwalsh58

RossieMan wrote:
    I'd love to see sales figures for it, its obviously not as big as the major brands, but i'd bet its sold at least 5,000 units in Ireland at this stage.

32,599 Sq miles divided by 5,000 phones = 6.5198 phones per Sq mile, I think that qualifies as rare.

Advertisement