Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New wheels, what would you recommend?

• 07-03-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to get a pair of decent wheels in coming weeks and would welcome the experience of others on here.

I've considered buying from China, but opted not to....

Budget is €1000, maybe a little bit more
    It must be from a bricks and mortar Irish shop......so no online or second hand options are being considered. For the same reason, custom-built is probably out.
    Clinchers only
    Campagnolo fit
    Rider weight <80kg
    Going on a sub 7Kg Colnago
    Not fussed about having to swap out carbon-suitable pads each the summer winter, as required, so full carbon or basalt tracked is equally OK

I would equally consider shallow or deep profile, but they must be fairly bullet proof and as reliable as my Zondas.

They will get 2-3000k use per year over the full range of road types, 50% hilly/climbing and 50% flat and not be used for racing.

So, Cosmic SLS, Shamals, Bullets, Detec U38s, Racing Zero,..... ?

Recommend away....

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Am riding a pair of Miche SWR full carbons at the min.
    50 rear and 38 front.
    Love them.
    The shallower front means there arent so many 'shiiiit' moments in the wind.

Apparently they are Gigantex rims on Miche hubs.
    Bearings very easy to change (I bought them 2nd hand and thought the rear was a bit draggy so swapped out the bearings).
    At your budget I would look at a build or Bullets if you dont wanna go full carbon.

Light Bicycle rims get really good reviews and are easy to deal with.
    Hope thats of some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Yeah, i saw those Miche rims on your VCB . are they available here ?

not sure. very few places seem to stock them!

But , as I mentioned, Gigantex rims form wheelsmith and miche hubs form wiggle and built by a reputable wheelbuilder here with spokes that are easily replaceble should they break.
    You get to choose the hole configuration you need and spoke lacing that suits you.

There is achance I will be buying in rims form Light bicycle to lace up to a set pf record hubs if you wanna split postage!

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-road-bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can't get wheels on the BTW scheme :-)

Lumen wrote: »

Yeah I know a few people who didnt get wheels on the BTW.

• Advertisement

I know. Cash purchase....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO 1k is an awkward price point for factory wheels.

The reason the Shamal and F0 exist and costs 1k is because there are people who want to spend 1k on a wheelset. The Shamal is apparently the same as the Euros which is €700.

The Detecs are fine but they're not really ideal year-round non-racing wheels.

So I reckon you've completely boxed yourself in by insisting on factory wheels from an Irish bike shop at that price point.

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Lumen

Thanks for that, I appreciate the point you make about "€1000“ being a specific pricepoint that manufacturers make be trying to shoehorn a product into; I'll check out some stuff below that point too. Are the Detec a bit fragile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So I reckon you've completely boxed yourself in by insisting on factory wheels from an Irish bike shop at that price point.

And there are very few irish bike shops that can match the price of online sellers when it comes to the 'not so common' wheelsets in the higher price range unless you can find one that will price match the online sellers. It'll mean your €1000 wheels are only actually worth €7 or €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.marreybikes.com/mavic-road-wheels/4318-mavic-ksyrium-sle-wheelset-2015.html

Mavic Ksyrium-SLE's @€;1035
    Didn't think a lbs would have them at such a good price they're €990 plus delivery from some of the German sites so that's a very good price. Was considering the Mavic Ksyrium slr's last year when they were €899 from one of the german sites best lbs could do was a bit over €1100 and that was a cost to him.

Edit just spotted they only list shimano version but if €1100 is the Irish rrp you may be able get on budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

I purchased A set of zipp 60 lately under your budget if you want a link have raced the last 2 weekends on them and think there the dogs no problems hold speed well and strong

Advertisement