Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanoscience vs. economics and finance vs. maths and economics

Options
  • 07-03-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Okay so I'm aware that i may seem indecisive, but I'm just really fixed on doing one of these 3 courses; Economics and Finance- UCD, Nanoscience-TCD, Maths and Economics TSM-TCD. I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who knows anything about/ is actually doing one of these courses!
    Basically, I got 540 in the mocks with a horrendous maths paper and im pretty confident that i can achieve above 600 points which will hopefully be sufficient for these courses.
    My main issues are that I feel like ill enjoy nanoscience a BIT more than the other 2 course wise, but I'll be more suited to the challenge of the careers stemming from the other 2! I love science and maths which is why im so attracted to nanoscience, yet im afraid that i won't enjoy a research or lab based job and will always be wondering 'what if', as i know the economics courses are very well renowned and can produce jobs with a lot of money, which is a major bonus. I just don't think ill be able to get a great job with those 2 courses in Ireland and will be made go to new york or london, which i wouldn't mind, but considering the high demand of the jobs i might feel a bit isolated! and is it true that all investment banking jobs are 6am-9pm?! I love finance, money and have a keen interest in hedge funds! but then again, playing around with nanoparticles really excites me too!
    sorry if this is not making sense!
    Also,
    TCD is much much handier for me, living in the north side of Dublin and i personally love the college!
    But then the challenge of E&F intrigues me!
    economics and maths sounds pretty good for jobs too!
    Could someone please just help me,
    what are the career prospects? i dont mind the courses themselves as much! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

I wouldn't say E&F is particularly challenging (not for someone who's getting 600+ points anyway). I did it for a year and a half before swapping to Maths, and for most of the modules you're in with Economics/Commerce/Science students.

I would say that if there's any chance you might want to pursue a career in Nanoscience you should definitely study that. It would be very easy for you to move into a Finance role with a Nanoscience degree, but obviously the reverse isn't true.

I did a Spring Week in J.P. Morgan last year and at least half of the people there weren't studying either Economics or Finance degrees.

Advertisement