Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ageing Beer.

• 07-03-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

What does everybody do? How long do ye age beer for? Do ye use secondary fermentors to age? How long after fermentation until you open your first bottle? All my beers seem to taste the same. I've aged some for more than 6 months and they loose that taste that i cant really explain but its not very nice all the beers i brew taste that way unless i leave them for well over 6 months but it cant take that long does it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

Usually I find they are good to drink after about six weeks, but some improve more with age. I made a batch of porter three years ago that tasted too sharp/acidic to me so it got left at the back undrunk. Two years later it was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

2 weeks primary no secondary, I mostly keg. But 2-3 weeks in the bottle should be grand. It probably will be getting better for a few weeks after that.

Hoppy beers are best consumed fresh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

oblivious wrote: »
    2 weeks primary no secondary, I mostly keg. But 2-3 weeks in the bottle should be grand. It probably will be getting better for a few weeks after that.

Same with wheat beers too.

fobster wrote: »
    Same with wheat beers too.

V true

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

I did a St Peters Amber Ale recently, after 2 weeks in the FV, 2 more weeks 2nd fermenting in the bottle and about 2 weeks in the garage ,results were 'not great' ... had that left over off 'tang' for sure .... then after about 2 more weeks it changed completly , and is really nice now... few mates back asking for more freebies .. so its a waiting game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 boboboland

I also started to keg i done an IPA which was a kinda ok. I Have a lager done in the keg and theres no taste what so ever off it. Any ideas?

boboboland wrote: »
    I also started to keg i done an IPA which was a kinda ok. I Have a lager done in the keg and theres no taste what so ever off it. Any ideas?

No taste, just very clean?

No taste, just very clean?

How u mean clean? Wat I mean by no taste is it tastes of nothing you know your drinking something but can't taste anythin off it. The after taste has a slight taste of sumthing but I don't know Wat it is. like all the kits I do taste pity much the same Even if there completely different beers. Whys that?

is it better to age the beer in a warm place or cold?

How u mean clean? Wat I mean by no taste is it tastes of nothing you know your drinking something but can't taste anythin off it. The after taste has a slight taste of sumthing but I don't know Wat it is. like all the kits I do taste pity much the same Even if there completely different beers. Whys that?

They are all ale yeast with the kits even when they are suposed to be a "lager". But it sound like the fermentation was good, no off flavours

Was it a kit where you added sugar to?

• Advertisement

is it better to age the beer in a warm place or cold?

2-3 weeks warm to carbonate try one and if happy, then generally store cool or for hoppy beer the fridge

2-3 weeks warm to carbonate try one and if happy, then generally store cool or for hoppy beer the fridge

i'm kegging so carbing wit gas, do i still need to leave it in a warm place to develop flavors or what would u recommend

i'm kegging so carbing wit gas, do i still need to leave it in a warm place to develop flavors or what would u recommend

ooh no, getting it cool will also help carbonate it

ooh no, getting it cool will also help carbonate it

yes i cool it before carbonating it. but is it ok to leave it cold will it age when cold is my question

yes i cool it before carbonating it. but is it ok to leave it cold will it age when cold is my question

Colds is always good :) .There are beers like Imperial stout and barley wines you might want to age for a bit at room temp. But cold is never bad

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Colds is always good :) .There are beers like Imperial stout and barley wines you might want to age for a bit at room temp. But cold is never bad

I left an imperial stout age for 6 months it really aged well. I need to Build up enough stock so I don't keep dipping into them.

Advertisement