Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I sell the beasht

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Good post Tony. I sold a lovely 2001 530i sport when I bought my house. Bought an Alfa 156 1.6 instead to try save some money on running costs. Was back in a 5 series within a few months in a 525i sport. The savings were tiny and the 156 wasn't a great car, but I did like how it looked. Still in 5 series now, always buy old enough ones for cash so never have repayments. Keeps the costs down to a nice level.

As for the Prius, I've been in them as taxis and they're a horrible car. Rattley and uncomfortable. Probably efficient and reliable but I hated it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

DubTony wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Here's my similar story.

I'd a 2000 323ci (E46) I bought in 2006 with 36,000 miles on it. The car was impeccable and totally loaded. The only thing it didn't have was cruise control.

I started a business 80 kms from home so put some serious mileage on it. Eventually moved out of Dublin, but still had a 55 km round trip every day (7 days) and sometimes twice a day.

MPG was great on those runs. 33 per gallon.

Moved back to Dublin in 2009 after business was a victim of the recession and held onto the car. By 2016 the car had 140k miles on it and was pretty much the worst for wear, having not been able to maintain is as I would have liked. Drivers door couldn't be opened with central locking, drivers door window wouldn't go down, sensors were going on an almost monthly basis (I drove around for 2 years with the car telling me I had no traction control or ABS despite both working fine), and among other things the air conditioning was kaput.

Eventually, with the worry of even more costs, the annual donation to the exchequer, and falling MPG, I foolishly spent 4.5k on an under powered 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia. The 4 speed auto box gets the same mileage as the 5 speed one in the Beemer - who'd have thought?
    I couldn't sell the Beemer for love nor money. I found a guy who said "he'd take it off me" but changed his mind when a mate checked it out. Eventually I scrapped it. What a sickening day when the guy dragged it onto a tow truck, left me with a scrappage cert and drove away.

I won't go into the details of the hassle I've had with the sh1tbox Focus, but needless to say, on its worst day, the coupe was a better car than the Focus is on its best (even now that's it's running fine).

If I'd considered more than my pocket (and maybe found this thread a year and a half ago) I'd have kept it, and used some of that 4.5k to fix it. I'm sure I'd have gotten another few years of the most joyful driving of my life out of it, and maybe then let the man with the truck take it away.

From experience, I see no point in getting rid of a great car for a mediocre one. For me, money wouldn't justify it again. Just driving around in an ordinary car is soul destroying (and I wouldn't call myself a petrol head by any stretch).

Tom, my advice is to drive that baby into the ground, and then go find another one. Good luck.

Thanks for detailed post. Must be fairly sickening alright to have to scrap a running car.

Think I may have to drive it in to ground. No one wants a car like the beasht now.

Good post Tony. I sold a lovely 2001 530i sport when I bought my house. Bought an Alfa 156 1.6 instead to try save some money on running costs. Was back in a 5 series within a few months in a 525i sport. The savings were tiny and the 156 wasn't a great car, but I did like how it looked. Still in 5 series now, always buy old enough ones for cash so never have repayments. Keeps the costs down to a nice level.

As for the Prius, I've been in them as taxis and they're a horrible car. Rattley and uncomfortable. Probably efficient and reliable but I hated it.

Nothing wrong with efficient and reliable :)

Thinking there, the % of the population that would buy a 12 year old 2.5 litre petrol automatic with yearly tax of 1080 Euro and sub 25 mpg is probably 0.5% !!

Still trying other cars.

Drive a 2008 civic today. 1.8 petrol automatic saloon. Traditional automatic gearbox.

Fairly noisy with hard acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

DubTony wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Here's my similar story.

I'd a 2000 323ci (E46) I bought in 2006 with 36,000 miles on it. The car was impeccable and totally loaded. The only thing it didn't have was cruise control.

I started a business 80 kms from home so put some serious mileage on it. Eventually moved out of Dublin, but still had a 55 km round trip every day (7 days) and sometimes twice a day.

MPG was great on those runs. 33 per gallon.

Moved back to Dublin in 2009 after business was a victim of the recession and held onto the car. By 2016 the car had 140k miles on it and was pretty much the worst for wear, having not been able to maintain is as I would have liked. Drivers door couldn't be opened with central locking, drivers door window wouldn't go down, sensors were going on an almost monthly basis (I drove around for 2 years with the car telling me I had no traction control or ABS despite both working fine), and among other things the air conditioning was kaput.

Eventually, with the worry of even more costs, the annual donation to the exchequer, and falling MPG, I foolishly spent 4.5k on an under powered 2007 Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia. The 4 speed auto box gets the same mileage as the 5 speed one in the Beemer - who'd have thought?
    I couldn't sell the Beemer for love nor money. I found a guy who said "he'd take it off me" but changed his mind when a mate checked it out. Eventually I scrapped it. What a sickening day when the guy dragged it onto a tow truck, left me with a scrappage cert and drove away.

I won't go into the details of the hassle I've had with the sh1tbox Focus, but needless to say, on its worst day, the coupe was a better car than the Focus is on its best (even now that's it's running fine).

If I'd considered more than my pocket (and maybe found this thread a year and a half ago) I'd have kept it, and used some of that 4.5k to fix it. I'm sure I'd have gotten another few years of the most joyful driving of my life out of it, and maybe then let the man with the truck take it away.

From experience, I see no point in getting rid of a great car for a mediocre one. For me, money wouldn't justify it again. Just driving around in an ordinary car is soul destroying (and I wouldn't call myself a petrol head by any stretch).

Tom, my advice is to drive that baby into the ground, and then go find another one. Good luck.

If I ever think of getting rid of my e46 ci straight six petrol, I will reread this post. Tax and insurance are a killer, but depreciation is pretty much non existent at this stage, there are plenty smiles per mile and its just a beautiful car.

OP - keep the beasht for as long as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have a 2006 523i as well. 215K kilometres on the clock. I put so much money into the car over the years there are no original parts left in it any more!

I'd love better fuel economy and and lower tax. But the drive and comfort is fabulous and with it running as new currently I'd be mad to downgrade.

Keep it. Better the devil you know...

Ardent wrote: »
    I have a 2006 523i as well. 215K kilometres on the clock. I put so much money into the car over the years there are no original parts left in it any more!

I'd love better fuel economy and and lower tax. But the drive and comfort is fabulous and with it running as new currently I'd be mad to downgrade.

Keep it. Better the devil you know...

True. I’ve spent a few pound on it in the last year alright and know it’s history.

Just the bleedin tax. I pay it quarterly too.

All other newer cars just seem inferior.

Choose tax and poor fuel consumption or choose repayments and depreciation.
    I think you'll find 1000 tax isn't the end of the world.
    I wouldn't be moving to the likes of a prius from my e60. You'll have to stay in something nice. Just the way it Is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

True. I’ve spent a few pound on it in the last year alright and know it’s history.

Just the bleedin tax. I pay it quarterly too.

All other newer cars just seem inferior.

Trick is paying tax yearly to avoid thinking of changing every 3 months with those cars and enjoy it during the year :D

• Advertisement

kerten wrote: »
    Trick is paying tax yearly to avoid thinking of changing every 3 months with those cars and enjoy it during the year :D

True. But something else always comes up when I try to do this.

The way I’m going yearly tax will be worth more than the car itself :/ which is kind strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

True. But something else always comes up when I try to do this.

The way I’m going yearly tax will be worth more than the car itself :/ which is kind strange

Buy the most economical and desirable car such as prius for 12K today, It will depreciate more than your yearly tax every year.

It is all in your mind :D

I moved from an IS250 to a Focus 1.6 for similar reasons. Not the best decision of my life.

IMHO, only logical reason to change those type of cars is when they break down a lot and you can't afford to keep them on road time and money wise.

kerten wrote: »
    Buy the most economical and desirable car such as prius for 12K today, It will depreciate more than your yearly tax every year.

It is all in your mind :D

I moved from an IS250 to a Focus 1.6 for similar reasons. Not the best decision of my life.

IMHO, only logical reason to change those type of cars is when they break down a lot and you can't afford to keep them on road time and money wise.

I was thinking more so along the lines of 7-8k for a prius.

Did a few repairs in last few months, so hopefully that will keep it out of garage for a while.

Some lad offered me 2700 for the beasht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast.

Shows how lame the Irish motorist is at sticking up for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

Sell it so you’ll stop referring to your car as the ‘beasht’ like a deranged bogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

**** it lads let him have his pride and joy. It's all perspective when lads start talking about their own cars.
    Would love to know what ye're driving yerselves.

Sell it TT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

1.9 Passat? Tax is like 280 for the year or something.
    Comfy, fast, acceleration not earth shattering considering the weight of the thing if that's your thing having said that it's no slouch either. Power up to 3rd gear then it's just 4th and 5th to save money 177kph tops
    Or maybe an Audi with same if you want the style.

It's a 2.5 pkiernan which isn't small
    6 cylinder engine
    No rocketship but it's an effortless smooth cruiser

Surprised you got offered 2700 on a private sale Tom but if you do still fancy the change that's a good offer in my opinion. I would expect that money for an msport not an SE so bite his hand off if you do want to sell. I was looking last year an msport was easily achievable for 3.5k

My 06 msport will be up for sale soon but I don't think I'll get that money, I have 125k miles or 200k kms which is a bit higher. Paid 4k for it 2 years ago so if I get 2 back for it I'll be doing ok.
    Will be moving to one of the following though, all from UK

09/10 730d for about 12-15k euro
    11/12 530d for about the same
    16 330e PHEV for about 21k euro

Smart money at the moment is on the 530d

I won't miss the e60 then, I think you will though

• Advertisement

Sell it so you’ll stop referring to your car as the ‘beasht’ like a deranged bogger.

Oh sorry mr city boy. It’s meant in jest.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast.

It’s a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder. Not a small engine to be honest.

It’s a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder. Not a small engine to be honest.

Some people think everyone should be driving m5s
    Less than 10% of cars in Europe are over 2.5 I would imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

No offence, but it's a sad state of affairs when a small engined BMW is referred to as a beast. Shows how lame the Irish motorist is at sticking up for himself.

I don't think you understand what "beasht" can mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I still haven’t sold the beasht :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi

I bought a 2006 523i a year ago......aka the beasht ; )) Automatic SE. 65,000 miles on the clock right now. Seems to be running well. I do about 6,000 miles a year. I fitted NON run flat tyres about 10 months ago too.

Tax is up at end of March and it's 1080 to tax for the year. I'm thinking of selling to buy a smaller car with cheaper tax and better mpg.

Pros

I like the drive of the 523i.
    Know it's history.
    Like the leather seats, cruise etc
    Looks well.

Cons

Very dear to tax.
    Mpg not great.
    Any future repairs could be expensive.
    I don't really NEED this size of a car.

Any comments on helping me out in my predicament

edit : attached is a picture of the beasht after her wash..........which really got me thinking what a nice car it is
    She's lovely but my ex had yh same car and it cost her an arm and a leg,once trouble started it didn't stop- I wouldn't be worried ref MPG but parts will cost u bud big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Don't either I do the same mileage and have a 3.0L petrol and it drives better than a lot of 191 sh1tboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Good man. Don’t either. If it’s financial viable I’d be holding on to that six cylinder loveliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I sold my 2005 523i SE two weeks ago.
    145,000 miles on the clock but it was breaking my heart with the amount of money I was pumping into it to keep it on the road in the last 4 or so years.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I sold my 2005 523i SE two weeks ago.
    145,000 miles on the clock but it was breaking my heart with the amount of money I was pumping into it to keep it on the road in the last 4 or so years.

How much did you spend roughly?

What thins did you spend on?

What did you replace it with?

• Advertisement

How much did you spend roughly?

What thins did you spend on?

What did you replace it with?

I was spending between €1500-2000 per annum.

Stuff like a replacement timing chain, various suspension pieces, engine gasket cover, corroded brake pipes as well as the usual servicing stuff.

Got a Mercedes C350e. Looks great and goes like a rocket!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Can't Bate the Beasht

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Stuff like a replacement timing chain, various suspension pieces, engine gasket cover, corroded brake pipes as well as the usual servicing stuff.

How much is the finance on that then. I suspect it's more than 2k a year, but well wear nonetheless.

I have a 2006 523i and over the past 7 years I've faced all that work, except for the timing chain. What issues were you experiencing that warranted replacement of the chain?

These cars are not cheap to maintain - you are going to get an unexpected big bill every couple of years or so - but they are wonderful to drive. I'm glad I've still got mine.

Edit: when I say big bill I mean 500 Euros. Certainly not 1.5- 2k (unless you get all your work done in a BMW dealer).

How much is the finance on that then. I suspect it's more than 2k a year, but well wear nonetheless.

Got it second hand and no finance on it :)

Ardent wrote: »
    I have a 2006 523i and over the past 7 years I've faced all that work, except for the timing chain. What issues were you experiencing that warranted replacement of the chain?

These cars are not cheap to maintain - you are going to get an unexpected big bill every couple of years or so - but they are wonderful to drive. I'm glad I've still got mine.

Edit: when I say big bill I mean 500 Euros. Certainly not 1.5- 2k (unless you get all your work done in a BMW dealer).

The mechanic replaced the chain because when he was in replacing the engine gasket he said that the chain was starting to stretch. He showed it to me and compared it to the replacement chain. Worlds apart in terms of how much the older one was flexing.

The mechanic replaced the chain because when he was in replacing the engine gasket he said that the chain was starting to stretch. He showed it to me and compared it to the replacement chain. Worlds apart in terms of how much the older one was flexing.

Around about what time does the head gasket go. Miles or age etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Unless there is a cooling issue I wouldn't be expecting the head gasket to go in these engines. I've never heard it as a concern at least. So long as it doesn't over heat it should go for a very long time.

Unless there is a cooling issue I wouldn't be expecting the head gasket to go in these engines. I've never heard it as a concern at least. So long as it doesn't over heat it should go for a very long time.

I notice my air conditioning is not very cold. Is this a sign of a bigger issue?

It wasn't the head gasket. It was the engine cover gasket. Went in 2015.
    Think I had about 110k miles on it at that stage.
    Noticed something was wrong because there was a lot of oil in the engine bay.

• Advertisement

Key thing I am getting from all this. A 13 year old 523i could potentially have a lot issues to fix in the coming year or 2.

Edit: but then again, the same could be said if any 13 year old car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I notice my air conditioning is not very cold. Is this a sign of a bigger issue?

When did you have it regassed last?

beertons wrote: »
    When did you have it regassed last?

Never.

A friend briefly checked it. Removed a cap from something in engine and pressed it to prove something was ok and he said it was. So whatever this proves is not the problem wit the AC, so could be another issue.

Never.

I reckon you're due a re-gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It wasn't the head gasket. It was the engine cover gasket. Went in 2015.
    Think I had about 110k miles on it at that stage.
    Noticed something was wrong because there was a lot of oil in the engine bay.

Also known as a rocker cover gasket/valve cover gasket. I wouldn't overly worry about this kind of job, it's a common issue at that mileage, and it may be time consuming for a home mechanic I'm sure a real mechanic would make relatively short work of it. Parts are very cheap too.

Aircon would be a re-gas most likely, but hard to know really.

To some a car like this might be a bit of a hassle to own, but lots of these jobs only need doing once and should be good for a long time. My 2001 325i is approaching 150,000 miles and is starting to be a bit painful too, so I can understand these things becoming tiresome!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Never.

A friend briefly checked it. Removed a cap from something in engine and pressed it to prove something was ok and he said it was. So whatever this proves is not the problem wit the AC, so could be another issue.

I'd say he emptied what ever was in it. It's only about 50 quid to get it done. The guy I go to won't charge you full whack if its not completely empty, or you need another job done with it. Decent skin.

The one thing that really gets to me with the car is the tax. Don’t really mind the mpg etc but the tax kills me handing over 1000+ Euro every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The one thing that really gets to me with the car is the tax. Don’t really mind the mpg etc but the tax kills me handing over 1000+ Euro every year.

My Story.

I had a 2004 CL7 Honda Accord Executive 2.0 petrol up to late 2017. Like you, road tax was a killer (albeit at 710), but unlike you BMW nerds, future reliability wasn't (;)). I imported it from the UK and was its second owner. It was perfect and there was no reason at all to change it. Most especially because I had spent €900 the year before on wear and tear items like a replacement clutch, brakes, new tyres, etc. Oh, and it had just passed its NCT and had 3 months of that expensive motor tax remaining.

So what was my justification for changing?

None!

Well, maybe feeble ones like:
    • I was interested in a change
    • D'owl road tax
    • It was coming up to 14-years old
    • Em ...

I took a trip to Blighty and replaced it with a Lexus IS300H. Basically replaced the world's most reliable car with the world's most reliable car. It might suit a Beemer driver like yourself because it's got all the bells and whistles, is rear wheel drive, automatic, etc. And the tax is so cheap at €190 PA, I almost enjoy paying it! I did all the leg work myself and landed it in the country for €17.5K with all bill paid.

Despite it being truly mint, I assumed I would get nothing for the Honda. I took some nice pics, put it up on Donedeal for €1,250 on a Saturday evening at 7pm. It was gone less than 24 hours later for full price. I was sorry to see it go, but am very happy with my new beasht*. I'm also happy with all the new tech. Imagine, bluetooth and sat nav!

*As a fellow (& sometimes deranged) bogger, I'm just calling it that to 9iss off Mr. Lemongrease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It doesn't unless it's overheated quite badly. Very rare for the timing chain to go as well. Those engines are very very reliable, and they're so smooth and refined. About the worst things thar can happen are oil leaks through the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket, plus the electric water pump. Straight six petrols are such lovely engines to drive. I've had a fair bit of (non engine related) hassle with my E46 lately but the six cylinder engine makes me forgive it straight away :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

I still have my 2005 530i, looking to replace it with an i3 in August-September. Very reliable car, last year I got the original battery replaced (at 13 years old) and I got a small crack in windscreen a couple weeks ago. I'm reluctant to change the windscreen for fear of sensors not working after.

A nicer place to sit in than many new cars, nappa leather, comfort seats, upgraded sound system, widescreen sat nav etc... (some i3s have the smaller screen, progress... )

Tax and petrol savings if I got an i3 would be around 3k a year at my mileage, so there's that...

Advertisement