Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animals in the house... disgusting??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

conorh91 wrote: »
    I think that's a sign of impacted anal sacs, not worms. Far more disgusting than worms. My vet asked me to leave the room while he was clearing my dog's anal sacs and stupidly I didnt. I was still wretching when I reached my car. Vile smell.

Hope nobody's eating...

Actually I am, vegetable curry and fried rice at the moment , all good to me.

Mind over Matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

If you're happy op I wouldn't worry what anyone else thinks.

Personally, I have a dog and she sleeps where she wants.

Duurrty!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

conorh91 is that when the anal glands have to be squeezed?
    Yep, an explosion of smelly pus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Right now, my dog and one of my cats are curled up together in front of the fire. The other cat is asleep on her princess cushion on the couch. At bed time, my dog will come and sleep in our room, on his memory foam bed. The cats have their own bedroom with a single bed that they share, with pillows and their own duvet and covers. The cats have a covered litter tray to use, with privacy, should they need it. The dog is fully house trained.

The dog has a lovely place mat on which his feeding bowls go. The cats dine from princess bowls complete with crowns. One cat will only drink water from a running tap. She can't be arsed with stagnant water in a bowl

/crazy animal lady

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

My friend has a white cat and black tiles on the floor, you can clearly see the car hair everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE, I'd consider my friend a tidy clean person but my god I hate going into her house and coming away covered in cat hair! It's pretty nasty. Worst part is watching her toddler rolling around in it and sticking her cat hair covered hands into her mouth! yuuuuck!

I'm a firm believer that animals belong outside or in their own little shelter or whatever, I'm not talking out in the cold but comfortable in an appropriate setting with heat and soft place to sleep etc, especially if you have kids.

Having pets in the house is a great way for kids to build up an immunity to allergens and helps prevent asthma. Plus they make fantastic companions for kids.Obviously young children and animals should always be supervised though.

My childhood was a lot richer for having had pet doggies in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

o god my dads dogs keep having to get that done . sounds totally gross . o well d joys !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I always thought having animals inside was disgusting until last week! I got a kitten and its dad. They can go into the hall, kitchen (but not the back kitchen where we cook), sitting room and our bedroom. I couldn't imagine putting them outside!

Although we are considering turning one of the sheds into the daddy cat's home as he keeps peeing on our clothes and bed! He's quite vicious and clearly doesn't like being inside. I feel guilty at the thought of him outside all by himself though!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Right now, my dog and one of my cats are curled up together in front of the fire. The other cat is asleep on her princess cushion on the couch. At bed time, my dog will come and sleep in our room, on his memory foam bed. The cats have their own bedroom with a single bed that they share, with pillows and their own duvet and covers. The cats have a covered litter tray to use, with privacy, should they need it. The dog is fully house trained.

The dog has a lovely place mat on which his feeding bowls go. The cats dine from princess bowls complete with crowns. One cat will only drink water from a running tap. She can't be arsed with stagnant water in a bowl

/crazy animal lady

Is there any chance you can adopt me ? I'm well house-trained as well.

I think I have hit the jackpot

lucyfur are you serious ?

• Advertisement

Is there any chance you can adopt me ? I'm well house-trained as well.

I think I have hit the jackpot

No more room at the Inn! Unless....are you a rabbit?? Or a pig?? Or a goat?

Cos I want them but my husband says no no:(
    lucyfur are you serious ?

Uh huh!

I love my furries :)

Rackstar wrote: »
    To be honest I do my best to be as clean and hygienic as possible. If there was someone in my house scratching their balls, rooting at their hole, and then dragging their hole across the carpet, I'd have them out on their ear and they wouldn't be welcome back.

Don't give me that! There's nothing like dragging your arse across the carpet in the comfort of your own home and don't tell me that if you could lick your own balls, that you wouldn't.

I'd say lucyfur just loves animals, nothing wrong with that, sure who doesn't. Amazing creatures dogs are though, I had a dog when I was 6 months old and always have had dogs with me till this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I let the dog have full access to the house, it's not barred from anywhere and he's a rescue dog with many months of personal training and he sure learned well. He's a collie though so they are very easy to train regarding their intelligence. Stick the feller into the bath for a shower when needed and hygiene is excellent.

If you find a hair in your sandwich... make sure its not yours before you give out to the modra.

See its not the bedroom itself I'd have a problem with. But you have to draw a line somewhere. If you let them in the bedroom they will be in the bed next. No doubt they will try, I know from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

conorh91 wrote: »
    Yep, an explosion of smelly pus

jimgoose and the Impacted Anal Sacs would be a truly outstanding name for a Death Metal band. You have also provided a debut album title. I salute!

Boskowski wrote: »
    See its not the bedroom itself I'd have a problem with. But you have to draw a line somewhere. If you let them in the bedroom they will be in the bed next. No doubt they will try, I know from experience.

This is the whole point I was making earlier on... you need to spend a lot of time training them and then they will know not to hop onto the bed. They have their bed you have yours, simple, just have to show them whats cool and whats not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

You can always smell the dog the moment you enter a house. The people living there are immune/used to it but we can always smell it, even on you.

My landlady has a very well-kept dog, she always cleans her regularly so I'm not taking about a lack of hygiene here - animals simply have a natural musk that many of us find overpowering. It's gross.

I wouldn't date a pet owner. It's a deal breaker.

lucyfur

jimgoose wrote: »
    jimgoose and the Impacted Anal Sacs would be a truly outstanding name for a Death Metal band. You have also provided a debut album title. I salute!

Actually it wouldn't. But I have laughed my arse off before over one of your other suggestions. Sadly I can't remember what it was, but it was excellent.

This is the whole point I was making earlier on... you need to spend a lot of time training them and then they will know not to hop onto the bed. They have their bed you have yours, simple, just have to show them whats cool and whats not.

They'll be on it when you're not looking.

lucyfur fair play to you! I thought for a minute you were taking d pee !!!! aw you sound like a wonderful pet owner. Your pets are so lucky to have you . My little moggie is thumping me with his paw right now cos I stopped stroking him to write this!

• Advertisement

lucyfur

Hi 0/

You can always smell the dog the moment you enter a house. The people living there are immune/used to it but we can always smell it, even on you.

My landlady has a very well-kept dog, she always cleans her regularly so I'm not taking about a lack of hygiene here - animals simply have a natural musk that many of us find overpowering. It's gross.

You are basically over-reacting saying that, and obviously don't like animals it seems. You seem to have over-valued yourself because of such a very minor thing. Do you worry about putting your hand on a door-knob in public ? or would you clean the door-knob with a cleans-sheet before touching it ?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Its people that are the most dirtiest.

I made a post on the first page that I remember reading a thread about a guy who sh@t all over a hotel at a wedding.

It reminded me of the time walking into the bus station's toilets to find one cubicle completely covered in sh!t. It was all over the toilet, on the toilet seat, on the floor. I mean it comes out of you and drops into the toilet. This persons ass must have just fallen off completely, the whole cubicle was covered in it.

There's an old man that uses the bus in the same village as me. Waiting for the bus, he's got his hand down his pants picking his hole. Swear to God that is true.

I've seen people walk out from bathrooms without washing their hands. That's just gross. Off to do whatever, maybe paw your food with such a "I'm so perfect" attitude.

People are filthy, there's no pretending they're not.

I think I would trust an animal lover and their level of hygiene before I would anyone else. They know the potential of diseases and the importance of washing hands. Its something I was always thought as a child, wash your hands after touching that animal, I hope others were too. So what if you sit on a cat hair at a friends house.

If you ever complain about my pets I'll rub that slice of ham all over the cat before putting it in your sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I remember reading a thread here about a guy who ****ted himself and in every hotel room at a wedding he was at.

I <3 AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Judging by the amount of people I see in work who think rinsing their fingertips for three seconds in cold water is enough to remove germs and possible traces of human waste after using the toilet, I'd wager my dogs are cleaner than most humans.

My dogs live in my house. I'm writing this on the couch now with my Rhodesian Ridgeback sprawled across my lap (balancing the iPad on her side!) and a Spaniel curled up on either side of me.

Boskowski wrote: »
    They'll be on it when you're not looking.

Not if trained right they won't. If a persons dog continues to hop on the bed then the person isn't training their dog properly. Any-time you see them on the bed if you can catch them as they hop-up then just tell them to get down using your index finger :D eventually they get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

There are few people more disgusting than those who let their dogs lick their faces.

I think we can all agree on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem. Most pet owners I know wouldn't date anyone who was stand-offish (for lack of a better word) towards animals. Especially their own pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yes, disgusting ! No matter how well house trained or groomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

if the dog is draggin his arse on the ground he's probably eating too much biscuits

• Advertisement

There are few people more disgusting than those who let their dogs lick their faces.

Quite simply, no. That's what dogs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Read about 10+ years ago

Cats (and dogs) treat houses and apartments AS THEIR OWN TERRITORIES and treat people as another animals who live on their territory.

it ca be true, people ARE animals like any other animals around. More dangerous animals because people can think and use other animals to enforce their powers.

If one put his or her nose down to earth and sniff, peple can sniff better than dogs.

Also - there are laws we forbid to kill each other. But there are no law in any contry, which will imprison any human for eating other human being. Why is that?

tearing it up ... ur gas !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

galljga1 wrote: »
    Quite simply, no. That's what dogs do.

Perhaps, but people have a choice.

I often think that my dog thinks I don't love him as much as he loves me cos I don't lick him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

My cat Diego is constantly licking my hand. Its like a small wet piece of sandpaper scraping your skin. I can literally only tolerate 10 seconds of it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

What's even worse is a person that goes to the toilet without washing their hands and sits down to tuck into a Mr Kipling cake and then licking their own fingers :D

What's even worse is a person that goes to the toilet without washing their hands and sits down to tuck into a Mr Kipling cake and then licking their own fingers :D

Absolutely, Mr Kipling cakes are disgusting,

Personally, my dog is outside most of the time. Well appointed wooden shed is open to her. She also has an insulated kennel which even has a deck, came with the kennel. She is inside quite a bit and is restricted to certain rooms. I cannot leave her on her own as she does too much damage. Have tried and tried but she just continues to do what she wants so she is outside rather than be left on her own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I can't wait until I don't have to house share anymore so I can have a pet. Two cats sleep all over the house, except beds. Did sleeps on couch over night. cats go outside at night as they don't get on with dog and have been known to piddle whereas dog doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

djflawless wrote: »
    You know its there and you don't like it, don't call to your friends gaf....
    Simples

Jaysis, I never thought of that! The more you know....
    I just told her I'm allergic. I'm not but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

I like animals, especially large dogs and horses but I cant cope with having them in my living space. I guess its how I was brought up, my dad thinks the same, people inside, animals outside. We owned a beautiful Alsatian when I was young, I loved him but he was an outside dog and he had his lovely house out the back, right next to where the dryer let out hot air so it was lovely and cosy!
    He was well looked after and died an old happy dog that was well loved. He never set foot inside the house and he knew no different. He was happy outside.

BTW just reading replies.....who are all these people who don't wash their hands after the toilet and before eating?? I don't know anyone who does that! Hot water and anti bacterial soap, its basic hygiene!

Yiiiick. Some people belong outside with the farm animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

BTW just reading replies.....who are all these people who don't wash their hands after the toilet and before eating?? I don't know anyone who does that! Hot water and anti bacterial soap, its basic hygiene!

You think you don't. ;)

Jaysis, I never thought of that! The more you know....
    I just told her I'm allergic. I'm not but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

I like animals, especially large dogs and horses but I cant cope with having them in my living space. I guess its how I was brought up, my dad thinks the same, people inside, animals outside. We owned a beautiful Alsatian when I was young, I loved him but he was an outside dog and he had his lovely house out the back, right next to where the dryer let out hot air so it was lovely and cosy!
    He was well looked after and died an old happy dog that was well loved. He never set foot inside the house and he knew no different. He was happy outside.

Yiiiick. Some people belong outside with the farm animals.

Surely you know how to think for yourself intelligently than following a rule of a family member ? we don't live in a box of which is controlled by others belief systems, we think for ourselves. So I don't understand that thought projection.

I hope the little feller wasn't just used as a watch-dog constantly living it the back garden without daily walks ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The cat rules this house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My dog has her own her own house. I don't think an insulated, double glazed central heated environment is the best place for her, actually it probably isn't the best environment for me either, but I lost my fur thousands of generations ago.

When a dog is looking in the window at you they aren't wanting to come in, they are wanting you to come out. Preferably with food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Currently In my bedroom is two adult bearded dragons (24" lizards!) and two dogs on the bed fast asleep.

My only complaint is I cant get out of bed to get a drink :pac:

I have no issue with pets inside and I love having them near me. My 13 year old dog is my shadow. She'll follow me everywhere in the house, my 3 year old comes over for a petting session and a cuddle throughout the day.
    The dragons are in two 4" vivariums, they come out in separate play pens during the day and get a bath twice a week (they love it!)
    I could never out my dogs outside, when they go out for wees the door Is left open or I wait beside it so they can come in straight away.

The house is hoovered twice a day (with two large Labradors it needs to be done) and after handling reptiles and owning reptiles for a long time I am very diligent with washing hands properly and even have a hand sanitiser next to the male dragons vivarium.
    My two dogs don't smell they are fed brilliant food, lukullus which unlike the supermarket shíte most people buy, is so good for them they have no body odour.

If someone had an issue with the dogs they never say it because my two are friendly, well adjusted dogs. I do a lot of buying and selling of fish and aquarium equipment and that's the only time they're separated as a stranger coming into the house might not appreciate the dogs looking for attention.

The dragons are on a high protien diet and I've introduced pinky mice to them so their poos are quite pongy, but my system is clean straight away and keep the bedroom well ventilated.

Dragons are normally kelp in the living room but as I'm between houses at the moment they have to stay in the bedroom.

won't mention the horse .... After your tenth time using an anal thermometer, sheath cleaning (anal glands have nothing on the smell of that!), checking feces for a certain type of worm (infested horse .. We've to check for tapeworms every passing to see if the infestation is being killed off and at what rate) and a lot of other horse ownership fun times makes you very focused on hygiene!

And anyone who's ever foaled a mare will know that smell never leaves you especially when you're shoulder deep trying to turn a breached foal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Personally I don't trust anyone who doesn't like animals. I know a woman who hates all animals and in turn has raised her kids to hate them too. A more hateful b$$ch you couldn't hope to meet! All kids should grow up with pets of some kind. Apart from anything else it builds their immune system. My sister's dog is like a third child ..... her friend is anti pets. My sisters kids are rarely ill. Her friends kids are on a diff antibiotic every second week! Go figure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I want a bearded dragon, I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I want a bearded dragon, I love them.

They're brilliant! Such personalities! My male is a cuddler he will cuddle into you and sleep. The female is very active and will run around investigating every corner she can find and loves climbing on couches. The male is very laid back (until breeding of course :rolleyes:) and loves his chest being scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Got to get me a bearded dragon. They sound like cat dinosaurs

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement