Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on bike purchase.

• 08-03-2015 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Was planning on buying a bike and after doing my online research it's very clear to me I don't even know where to start. So a quick answer from you seasoned cyclist might get me on the right track.

Budget 300 Euro, Excluding accessories.
    Purpose : Get to from work short distance, once a week 10 km each way to get to town.

My thinking, please correct me if you disagree.
    Was thinking Hybrid bike was the way to go.
    According to an old thread I found Giant, Trek and Raleigh appear to be the budget versions to go for.

If you have any particular models or shops you think I should hit up please let me know. If I have posted in the wrong forum I apologize, also could not find any offers available in the cycling adverts forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

For that budget I'd be going to the adverts section of this forum, you won't get anything worth owning in a shop/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I agree. Second hand is the only way to get a decent bike within your budget. Try adverts.ie and DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

I have browsed the second hand sites but not really sure what type/make of bikes to be looking for. Would you recommend Giant, Trek or Raleigh? Considering my budget that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Vulture wrote: »
    I have browsed the second hand sites but not really sure what type/make of bikes to be looking for. Would you recommend Giant, Trek or Raleigh? Considering my budget that is.

Giant, Trek, Specialized, Felt, Ridley, Scott, Focus, Cube, Boardman, Lapierre and probably many others. Raleigh bit so much, they have started to make decent road bikes again but much of the raleighs you'll see for sale are old bikes that you should really avoid. Their newer stuff is out a few years and isn't that popular so I'd personally give them a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

For the level of use you are talking about, you should be able to get a reasonable hybrid new for that price.
    Trek & Giant are big brands, and you will pay a bit more for that name. A Giant rapid would be v suitable, but you would need to go second hand for your budget. However, giant rapids are relatively easy to sell on again. Similarly Specialized sirrus - flat bar hybrid, but might need second hand in the budget.
    What you want is something simple, along the lines of the above which you can google. Avoid anything with front (or rear) suspension / shocks - this only adds weight and is un-necessary for your needs. Avoid chunky tyres.
    I reckon you could pick up something new along these lines from a good bike shop (or even Halfords, but LBS should be better value)
    Avoid the bike that is 150 new, as components will be cheap.
    But if you go used, you will get more bike for your money, provided it's not wrecked (not always obvious on first glance - bearings etc).
    If regular commuting etc, something that takes mudguards is advisable.

• Advertisement

Open a thread on the cycling adverts sub-forum here with the title "WTD: Hybrid/Commuter €300 Budget.

Say you're looking for something to cycle a few K each way to and from work and the odd 10-20km spin.
    Someone will probably have something laying around they're looking to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi all,

don't mean to hijack this thread but where should I post/look for info/advice on buying a sports hybrid / road bike with flat handlebars.
    budget would be up to €1000.
    Will be using it to commute 5km to work and want to go on longer 40-50 km rides during the week with spins up to 100km eventually (after a LOT of training) at the weekends.

just don't like the position of drop bars.

Hi all,

don't mean to hijack this thread but where should I post/look for info/advice on buying a sports hybrid / road bike with flat handlebars.
    Will be using it to commute 5km to work and want to go on longer 40-50 km rides during the week with spins up to 100km eventually (after a LOT of training) at the weekends.

First things first. If you plan on doing 40km spins and 100km spins, get a drop bar bike, not a hybrid, your hands will thank you for it and its a LOT less effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi all,

If you intend on taking an interest in cycling, you probably do want a bike with drop bars. Why don't you like drop bars? When was the last time you tried them? You realise the "drop" part is the least used part of the bars?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

I'll sell you my bike for 300, i'm looking to get rid of it, its a trek 1.1, decent entry level racer, the frame has seen alot of miles but i have recently changed the important parts: bottom bracket, cassette, chain, and headset bearings and i regreased the wheel bearings, only thing it needs is new brake blocks, also it has a set of full mudguards on it. Let me know if your interested

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the reply everyone, have put up a advert as suggested.
    Thanks for the offer tailendcharlie but the trek 1.1 is a road bike and I would prefer the flexibility off a hybrid

Thanks for the offer tailendcharlie but the trek 1.1 is a road bike and I would prefer the flexibility off a hybrid

What flexibility?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    What flexibility?

The flexibility to not worry about Grass and gravel that are present in some of the areas I intend to cycle in. Also not a big fan of road bikes, I would be a little worried about damaging the tyres hopping up and down off pavements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Don't. I have four bikes. The first was a flat bar, the next three were drop bars. Learn from that.

The flexibility to not worry about Grass and gravel that are present in some of the areas I intend to cycle in. Also not a big fan of road bikes, I would be a little worried about damaging the tyres hopping up and down off pavements.

I wouldn't worry about any of that. How do you know you're not a fan of road bikes? When did you own one?

they/them/theirs

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    For the level of use you are talking about, you should be able to get a reasonable hybrid new for that price.
    Trek & Giant are big brands, and you will pay a bit more for that name. A Giant rapid would be v suitable, but you would need to go second hand for your budget. However, giant rapids are relatively easy to sell on again. Similarly Specialized sirrus - flat bar hybrid, but might need second hand in the budget.
    What you want is something simple, along the lines of the above which you can google. Avoid anything with front (or rear) suspension / shocks - this only adds weight and is un-necessary for your needs. Avoid chunky tyres.
    I reckon you could pick up something new along these lines from a good bike shop (or even Halfords, but LBS should be better value)
    Avoid the bike that is 150 new, as components will be cheap.
    But if you go used, you will get more bike for your money, provided it's not wrecked (not always obvious on first glance - bearings etc).
    If regular commuting etc, something that takes mudguards is advisable.

Thanks for the advice Buzwaldo your post helped a lot. I picked up a Giant Escape for 160 second hand, appears perfect for my needs so far. The rapid was a good idea but I decided it was too nice a target for bike thieves in Dublin. The Escape is only one step down from the Rapid and does not look nearly as shiny and nice to steal.
    @Brian you love road bikes, I get it. But your not pushing those drop bars on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

@Brian you love road bikes, I get it. But your not pushing those drop bars on me.
    He wasn't selling you a drop bar bike.

I'm not pushing drop bars on anyone, merely offering honest and informed advice. No one will ever convince me a Hybrid is the right bike.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No one will ever convince me a Hybrid is the right bike.
    Under any circumstances, for any use?

Lumen wrote: »
    Under any circumstances, for any use?

Present the circumstances.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

@Vulture, you'll quickly learn this cycle forum has a road-bike/lycra-warrior bias so do expect pressure to get a road bike. A hybrid is perfectly fine for what you need.

Incindentally make sure to get a set of handle-bar grips to fit onto the end of your flat bar, makes a big difference to the comfort of the ride.

A384-3.jpg

Present the circumstances.
    Off the top of my head...

Bicycle capable of taking front and rear child seat and not handling like crap. Bicycle to be used whilst wearing regular clothing. Bicycle for use by person who wishes to sit upright and enjoy the scenery. Bicycle that takes studded tyres for icy conditions.

All options to be priced at <€500 from a shop in Ireland.

Lumen wrote: »
    Off the top of my head...

Bicycle capable of taking front and rear child seat and not handling like crap.

You may have me here, not something I've ever factored into a bike purchase. But then neither has the OP in this case. Wouldn't a Dutch bike or cargo bike be better than a Hybrid here anyway?
    Bicycle to be used whilst wearing regular clothing. Bicycle for use by person who wishes to sit upright and enjoy the scenery. Bicycle that takes studded tyres for icy conditions.

A cyclocross bike is a better option if you want one bike to all of the above. In what way is it easier to wear regular clothing on a Hybrid?

All options to be priced at <€500 from a shop in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

You may have me here, not something I've ever factored into a bike purchase
    Imagine, people having different requirements to you! :pac:
    Wouldn't a Dutch bike or cargo bike be better than a Hybrid here anyway?
    Dutch bikes are massively heavy. Cargo bikes are very expensive and can be difficult to store (due to their length and weight).
    A cyclocross bike is a better option if you want one bike to all of the above.
    CX bikes have much worse brakes than a hybrid, apart from the ones with hydro discs which are massively expensive.
    In what way is it easier to wear regular clothing on a Hybrid?
    The more upright position keeps a shirt nicely tucked in to trousers, plus greater availability of mudguards and chain cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Thanks for the advice Buzwaldo your post helped a lot. I picked up a Giant Escape for 160 second hand, appears perfect for my needs so far. The rapid was a good idea but I decided it was too nice a target for bike thieves in Dublin. The Escape is only one step down from the Rapid and does not look nearly as shiny and nice to steal.

Glad to hear it. Sounds like you got just what you want for your needs, at a good price too.
    IF you do get the cycling bug, like so many here, you know where to come for advice about drop bar roadbikes.
    Happy Cycling

Advertisement