Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complaint about students disturbing the neighbourhood

• 08-03-2015 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Got a crowd of NUIG students living next door who seem to think that it is ok to blare music and then have a fleet of taxis line up outside and then do the same again when they get home - like do NUIG even care? Is there anyone I can complain to? God bless the Gardaí, they are sick of calling out to these thugs! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Got a crowd of NUIG students living next door who seem to think that it is ok to blare music and then have a fleet of taxis line up outside and then do the same again when they get home - like do NUIG even care? Is there anyone I can complain to? God bless the Gardaí, they are sick of calling out to these thugs! :mad:

"Thugs" is a bit strong for a group of students having a party. So my first bit of advice is to calm down and relax.
    I agree with you that they don't have a right to make your life a misery with their behaviour though. So the first thing to try is to call into their house and make a complaint. Do it some day they are sober and in the house. You don't need to shout and roar about it. Just tell them that their parties are keeping you awake and you would like for them to keep it down. Tell them you don't want to bring it further (guards, landlords, university) but you will if you have to. You will probably find they are very nice people who are just young and go over the top at times. We have all been there.
    If this doesn't work, you can get in touch with the guards or university. The university take these complaints very seriously. I'm not sure of the proper lines of inquiry but I know the vice president of student experience takes these matters very seriously. So the university or the guards will sort it out pretty fast.
    And remember, stay calm...and hopefully you will never come across real "thugs" in your lifetime....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

That attitude wont help. Dont get the problem with Taxi's.....students need to get around aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Aw from looking at her history this is a time waster. Tryna track down lads she shifted in the 90's. Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

And going by her history she could drink plenty herself in her day and now she is complaining about the nui crowd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Surely this is the landlords problem nothing to do with the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not sure why NUIG has any responsibility for the students. If people are causing noise, it's an issue for the gardaí or their landlord.
    If they were workers rather than students, would you say their employer is responsible?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It's in the Code of Conduct. They don't have responsibility for them but they would be concerned about behavior that would undermine the reputation of the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

The GMIT run a student patrol scheme whereby you call a number if you're having issues with neighbours (students), the students union run the scheme and a couple of students will call to the house to discuss the complaint with the occupants. They can't force the students to stop making noise but they can then call the gardai and there will be a record of the complaint with the student union if you decide to submit a complaint to NUIG.

If you complain to NUIG you'll need to know the identity of the pupils and evidence of their behaviour. I believe that NUIG issue fines to pupils for anti social behaviour and worst if the behaviour continues.

Contact the students union in NUIG and find out if they run a 'Student Patrol Scheme' similar to the GMIT and seek advice if they don't have a scheme.

Advertisement