Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden refurb

• 08-03-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We have just gone sale agreed on a house, and the garden will be hopefully one of the first things we want to tackle. It's 14.5metres long and not that wide (maybe 7 metres wide ) - it's a bit of a jungle at the moment, half of it is decked and the deck is very badly rotten so will need to be lifted. The rest of the garden is grass (which is dead) and overgrown scrub and brambles so we are probably going to rip the whole lot up and start from scratch. Anybody got any recommendations for what we should do that will be low maintenance , not cost a fortune and look good. It's east facing so will get the morning sun only and the end of the garden might get evening sun. We have young children so want to factor their needs in too. I don't have the first clue about patios, decking, grass, what is most cost effective etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

This might get more answers in the Gardening forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Now in the gardening forum. Please note the charter applicable to this forum now applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Yes you will need to start from scratch by the sounds of it.
    If you want low maintenance but a nice look then I'd recommend shrubs and bulbs/anything that comes back year after year rather than bedding plants, as you only need to plant them once and then they'll do their thing.
    If you're planting shrubs just check on the label how big they'll get so you don't choose ones that'll get enormous and take over.
    I'd sow grass if you have kids as it'll be nicer to mess around on although then you'll need to mow of course.

Advertisement